Riddles in the Dark

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Re: Riddles in the Dark

Postby wizzard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:24 am

I'm so glad they decided to include the songs in the movie, I got chills the first time I saw the dwarves singing! I know a lot of people just skip over the songs when they get to them, but they add so much to the atmosphere of the book.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 am

I'm so glad they decided to include the songs in the movie, I got chills the first time I saw the dwarves singing! I know a lot of people just skip over the songs when they get to them, but they add so much to the atmosphere of the book.
My dad scolded a singer/songwriter, with whom he used to be pretty good friends, who admitted he was a Tolkien fan but had never read any of the songs in The Hobbit or LotR. The result was this: http://www.myspace.com/redguitarbluemus ... d-44601277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 am

I've read The Lord of the Rings several times over the years, but I've actually only read The Hobbit once. In preparation for the first film (which I already have reserved seats for) I will now read it again for the first time since high school. :)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 am

http://youtu.be/zakVfDY0xZk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elfprince!! here you go!!
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:42 am

Tyler finished The Hobbit. He was quite excited about it. His favorite part was ” coming home.” He wanted to move right into LOTR, but I told him he might want to wait until he's a bit older for those. He read half of The Wizard of Oz last night instead.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:42 am

http://youtu.be/zakVfDY0xZk
Elfprince!! here you go!!
Wooo :) :)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Here's something right up Syphon's alley: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/ ... -analysis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, did anyone else notice that the rock at the end of movie looked like a bear's head?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:35 pm

They didn't even use the best citations to support their propositions! (But I still love it. Because I'm a dork.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

I recently saw The Hobbit in theaters and I have watched the Lord of the Rings numerous times, being in middle school I do not think that 13 is too young to read the Silmarilian but I know some of my friends might have trouble with it. In response to the critiques of the films I agree that some points of plot and character, What was that whole Gondor thing in the second movie? are off but what I don't think you can argue that Middle Earth is not portrayed quite wonderfully.

edit: btw, the Hobbit is now available on Amazon instant video (for those who haven't orders the extended addition blue-ray in the mail)
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Anyone else think the actor playing Bard looks bizarrely like Legolas/Orlando Bloom?

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 pm

sort of... the eyes are different though.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I feel like an awful Hobbit fan because I didn't watch the trailer until it popped up as an ad for another Youtube video I was watching, so I wasn't totally in the zone, but I thought it was Orland Bloom enough to look it up on IMDB. I thought the voice sounded rather similar too...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm

I looked it up on that site as well but I didn't see Orlando's name. The other guy looks (to me) so much like him. Sounds like Orlando too.

But I know Orlando is in it, and it looks awesome!! :love:
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:57 pm

How has this thread not been bumped yet?

Anyway, I'll be seeing Part 2 tonight. In the meantime, there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzD12qo1knM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In most ways the Hobbit films just can't match LotR. The latter series just has a deeper, more epic story to work with. But so far the main themes of the Hobbit films have both given me goosebumps! This one, "I See Fire", is the most contemporary sounding of all the Hobbit/LotR themes and I can see some people not liking it for that reason, but it really works for me.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 am

How has this thread not been bumped yet?
Simple...after the enders game movie there was no reason to live on here anymore...=P
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:15 pm

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Peter Jackson can diaf. More staff-breaking bullshit.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:03 am

Huh?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 am

He didn't like it.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:14 pm

I haven't even seen it yet, but every review I've heard from Tolkien scholars and the set of film reviewers whose opinions I trust has been overwhelmingly negative. "Highlights" thus far have been:
* Gandalf's staff getting broken again (F*** YOU PETER JACKSON)
* Orcs have "morgul arrows" (WHAT THE WHAT?)
* Elf/Dwarf love-triangle (ASDFJKLAFFDJFADFKLSDKLDAFJFDJFDLKFLSAKSADSD)

About half of the hard-core Tolkien fans with whom I'm friends on Facebook have discussed the possibility of just boycotting it.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:16 pm

simply put the movie was good, but if you have read the book then you'll hate it. You know like most books to movies. The cartoon movie was closer to the book then this live action movie buuuut they added in more about the other characters and for me I liked seeing told.
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:41 am

I have no doubt that I will enjoy the cinematography, the musical selection, and the performances from the vast majority of the cast; which is what will make the end product all the more disappointing: because I know that if you took away Peter Jackson's bastardizations, you could actually have a really lovely film. I have very similar feelings about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but this time around its worse, because the success of the first films went to his head and nobody is left to reign in his absurd excesses.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:21 pm

I haven't even seen it yet, but every review I've heard from Tolkien scholars and the set of film reviewers whose opinions I trust has been overwhelmingly negative. "Highlights" thus far have been:
* Gandalf's staff getting broken again (F*** YOU PETER JACKSON)
* Orcs have "morgul arrows" (WHAT THE WHAT?)
* Elf/Dwarf love-triangle (ASDFJKLAFFDJFADFKLSDKLDAFJFDJFDLKFLSAKSADSD)

About half of the hard-core Tolkien fans with whom I'm friends on Facebook have discussed the possibility of just boycotting it.

Honestly, I just don't get these types of fans. Yes, Desolation was the most... shall we say, liberal, big screen adaptation of Tolkien's work, but so what?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Well Smaug and bilbo was pretty good, until Jackson decided to get the f****** hobbit out of the way so the main character/protagonist thorin could have a chit chat with Smaug.

Mostly it was meh, about as much meh as the first one. :(
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:31 am

Well Smaug and bilbo was pretty good, until Jackson decided to get the f****** hobbit out of the way so the main character/protagonist thorin could have a chit chat with Smaug.

Mostly it was meh, about as much meh as the first one. :(
Vastly more meh than the first one. The previous one could have been a good film if it was 20 minutes shorter (excise the chase scene between trolls and rivendell, 60% of the chase through goblintown, and the stupid battle at the end). This one was just s***.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”