Periodic Movie Review

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:18 pm

Well, i just saw 2012 yesterday, and i have to say it's pretty awesome. The kind of movie you would only want to watch at the cinema too (i am guessing it loses too much if you see it at home, unless you have home cinema).

It's an action movie, a disasters movie. And it delivers what it promises. It's done with a good craft and with intelligence. It sets the suspension of disbelief bar high early on, with a long car race scene, so you get used to it, until you forget how implausible that driving is and you simply enjoy the fireworks.

Even the science isn't too bad. I mean, if you get past the silliness of the galactic allineation (i think i read the actual spot-on allineation was in 2005 or 2007), which in any case, it's only mentioned by the nutjob of the radio program, you are much better off than in other movies like The Core or Deep Impact (let alone Armageddon XD lol).
Neutrinos (eletronic neutrinos, the ones produced by nuclear reactions in the Sun) have been shown to be able to shift to other kinds of neutrinos (tauonic and muonic) very recently. And these other 2 types have been proved to have a non-zero minimum mass. That is, unlike the electronic neutrinos, the other two types can interact gravitatorily. So it's not entirely impossible to think that neutrinos could oscillate into "something else" that is more interacting"... that it only happens in a particularly bad sun storm is harder to swallow, though.

If the mantle and the lower crust significatively increase their temperature and hence, their plasticity, it's not entirely implausible that the "crust displacement" happens. Still not sure how Wisconsin would end up in the south pole though... doesn't seem to agree too well with rotational mechanics, but it might be caused by interaction with the rearrangement of mantle plumes and convection currents. In any case, the temperatures given by the movie are way too high: the crust itself would melt.
But doesn't agree with the global government conspiracy to supress panic: seismologists all over the world would notice how the S-waves severely dampen along the time or even disappear if they go anywhere near the mantle, as they routinely study them.

But supervolcanoes are cool.

One thing i didn't like is the length they went to make the US president's scientific advisor unsympathetic. Several decisions are tough, and it doesn't get any tougher than knowing that you can't save more than a 0.006% of the mankind. That 6000 million people are going to die, and there is no helping it. And that somehow you have to save some people. (Africa's bailing out almost unscathed would be something not to be counted on... also, most people in Africa would as well live in coastal areas, which would be swept by the first wave of tsunamis... in any case, African survivors would vastly outnumber the ark-ites; i think it would be an amazing tale seeing how the world would reconfigure in that situation.)
I heard the movie was no plot, all action, and the ending was dumb.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Steph,

I doubt you missed it, more likely I just didn't say anything on here. I haven't been posting much lately, even though I lurk every couple days. But ya, I married my longtime girlfriend this last august 16th. :) things have been great so far! And your pregnant huh? Congrats! How far along are you?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:19 am

2012 was horribly dumb if you are at all science-y. The idea that the sun's natural neutrino's could somehow "act like microwaves", get past the super heated iron outer-core, heating the molten iron even more (which is already hotter than the sun), all the while leaving humans unaffected is completely ridiculous.

This is how, in my mind, the producers of the film explained it to the writers: "Screw science, just take these books on 2012 we got from the library and internet and make it fit!"

Anyways, the reason I am posting: AVATAR! I saw it again yesterday. A tip: If you have a headache going in to Avatar in IMAX 3D, prepare to come out with a migraine. You have been warned!

Also, Avatar has an insane amount of decent science behind it. As posted on Slashdot today, this is a great article about the science behind Avatar. At the end of the article be sure to check out the update, as some people have pointed out interesting facts you might have missed in the movie. On top of this, the writers apparently put together a "Pandorapedia", which is also a decent read and contains more interesting information you probably missed. For example, I'm sure you noticed human Avatar's have smaller, more human like eyes, but did you also know that human avatars have five fingers and toes, unlike the Na'vi who have four? I sure didn't! If you're interested:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43440
http://www.pandorapedia.com/

Wil

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 am

Anyways, the reason I am posting: AVATAR! I saw it again yesterday. A tip: If you have a headache going in to Avatar in IMAX 3D, prepare to come out with a migraine. You have been warned!
I get a headache most times that I go to a regular movie in the theater, so I'm thinking I should take drugs preemptively when I go see Avatar in IMAX 3D tomorrow.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:02 pm

CeneZ, it's exactly like that... but then again, what else is there in any disaster movie? You see how the disaster starts, and then people trying to avert it/solve it/escape. And man, it delivers.

Wil, 2012 has way better science than other kind of recent disaster movies, I am thinking of The Core or The Day After Tomorrow.
Neutrinos have been surprising us lately. Ten years ago, very few people defended the thesis that some neutrinos had mass, now it's hard science that tauonic and muonic neutrinos have a lower limit to their mass. Neutrino oscillation is a very recent discovery, and it's in the limits of what is acceptable in the Standard Model. Saying that neutrinos can oscillate into a more interacting state isn't terribad. Also, it doesn't have to interact with us to heat up the core: neutrinos are excellent catalizers for weak-force processes, like nuclear fission, and nuclear fission is what heats the core. Increase slightly the fission rate in the lower mantle, and you are bound to have some peculiar effects.
By far, the worst bit of science is "why in 2012?": such neutrino behaviour should happen always or not happen at all. Gallactic allignment is an awful explanation in so many levels... but well, you can't get everything right. :D

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:07 am

I went to see Up In The Air tonight with my family, a belated Christmas day celebration as per tradition.

The non-spoiler version: I loved it, if not entirely for the pace and feel of it, then definitely for the story it told and more importantly, the message I took from it.

****SPOILER ALERT****

The more spoilerific version:
For now, I'm going to focus on the message I took away from the movie and that is this: life, real life, is not a Hollywood movie, replete with happy endings and pleasant surprises, where everything you expect to happen does. This is not a movie where the hero goes through his trials, fulfills his end of the bargain by going through an awakening and then is rewarded.

It crushed me to learn that Alex, the woman who helps turn Ryan around, was married and had a family but don't get me wrong, I was not surprised by it. While it wouldn't be entirely accurate to say I enjoyed this, I did appreciate that it wasn't as simple as boy meets girl and they fall in love. She said it best: he was an escape from her real life, not a part of it.

I also appreciated -again, not necessarily enjoyed-enjoyed- that he goes back to his old way of life but ultimately not the same person he was before. He went back but it's not home anymore and if he wants to find home, wherever whatever whomever, he'll have to work at it and be willing to risk the pain again.

The commentary at the end, by the people who were fired, hit close to home. It's not the money that matters in the end, it's the support -or lack thereof- from your family and friends that makes all the difference and that's one thing Ryan earned back...the support of his family, so all hope isn't lost and in that way, the end isn't quite so bitter.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Avatar was really good. Has anybody else seen Sherlock Holmes?

::warning! Sherlock Holmes spoiler!:: highlight to read

I love how Sherlock Holmes seemed, for most of the movie, very satanic, but then you find out at the end how it was all faked. It was really cool, how all of that happened, then you find out how Moriarty set it all up to get control of a remote triggering device...

Wow

10/10.

mod note: please see the pweb faq for how to make spoiler text.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm looking forward to Moriarty having a big role in the sequel. I loved how entertaining Sherlock Holmes was, if not for avatar, it might be December's best movie.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I liked Sherlock Holmes much better than Avatar.

Yes, Avatar was beautiful. But the story was pretty trite and it took foreeeever to get the story moving.
-Kim

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Ya, there was a link somewhere where it showed a summary of the story of Pocahontas (pardon the spelling), with all the names replaced with the Avatar characters. It was the same story.
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm

While I can totally see the Pocahontas thing, the movie Avatar reminded me of most while I was watching it was Fern Gully!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53 pm

While I can totally see the Pocahontas thing, the movie Avatar reminded me of most while I was watching it was Fern Gully!
Man, me too! That's how I describe it to people. "Ferngully, but with cat-people instead of fairies, and no Tim Curry singing about loving pollution." That movie needed more Tim Curry!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah, it was basically Fern Gully minus the scary tractor thing that gave me nightmares as a child.
-Kim

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:24 pm

That tractor was terrifying!
My family and I decided Avatar was a cross between Fern Gully, Pocahontas, and Dances with Wolves.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm

it's the same basic story as Oedipus, without the incest.

Stranger comes in and totally screws things up.

Then he fixes things and becomes the new leader

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:25 am

Relevant, though I haven't seen Avatar, nor even read most of that article (since it has spoilers, and, well... I haven't seen Avatar).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:25 pm

This isn't an ortodox movie review, but fits best in this thread.

I effin lold to tears
http://chud.com/articles/articles/21684 ... Page1.html
Reviewing Breaking Dawn: (the fourth book in Twilight)
With New Moon likely to make yet another metric f****** of money this weekend we need to find the bright side to the entire Twilight mania. There must be something good that comes from this awful Mormon fantasy that seems to have invaded our culture on every front. That something is the eventual movie version of Breaking Dawn.

Even though New Moon has made a bazillion dollars and even though the third Twilight book, Eclipse, is already filming, Summit has declined to announce the fourth and final Twilight book as a movie. There's a good reason for this: Breaking Dawn is completely f****** insane, and it is probably totally unfilmable. But if they do film it... man, we are in for a treat.

Breaking Dawn opens with Bella Swan, the lacteal heroine of the series, finally getting married to Edward Cullen, the mopey vampire hero. They go off to honeymoon on Isle Esme, a Brazilian island the Cullen clan owns (this is already ridiculous beyond belief. Imagine a vampire going snorkeling; it basically happens in this book), and Edward is afraid to f*** his new bride. The reason: he's super strong and she's just a human - Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex type of situation here. But Bella wears him down and Edward throws it in her - and knocks her the f*** out, leaving her badly bruised.

Let's go over that again: Edward f****** Bella into unconsciousness. This alone should have you running to Fandango to pre-order your tickets, but it only gets better.

Despite being knocked out cold by his sexual style (and having the headboard destroyed), Bella goes back to Edward for seconds. This time he knocks her up. Yes, an undead vampire apparently has enough viable sperm to impregnate a human woman while f****** her off the coast of Rio de Janero. Stephenie Meyer, you fabulous idiot!

The baby in Bella's belly starts growing incredibly fast. And it starts hurting Bella, as each kick it gives has the super strength of a vampire behind it. As it grows, Bella gets sicker, and then the good stuff starts. The baby kicks so hard it breaks Bella's ribs and then severs her spine. Are you imagining Kristen Stewart wearing a fake pregnancy belly and pretending to have been suddenly crippled by her own fetus? Because I am and it's making me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Oh wait, I missed something. Edward is completely freaked out about the baby, fearing it will kill Bella. He tries to convince her to get an abortion (but seriously, how could she? Vampires are tough to kill even in this s***** series), and goes so far as asking Native American wolfboy Jacob to impregnate his wife so that she can have the baby she desperately wants. I'm dizzy with how ridiculous this is, and we're just getting started.

Eventually the baby starts to get born and Bella is dying. The baby has telepathy, by the way, so everybody can read its thoughts while it's in the womb, and it turns out to have an essentially adult mind. Like Alia in Dune; I would accuse Stephenie Meyer of ripping this off, but anyone who thinks that Meyer might have read Frank Herbert has never been within spitting distance of Twilight. The woman is a moron.

In a moment that demands to be shown on the silver screen, Edward gives Bella an emergency C-section with his f****** teeth. It's like something out of XTro, for the love of God. It's so horrible it's brilliant, and this scene alone is why I remain firm in declaring that David Cronenberg must direct Breaking Dawn. This is surely his movie.

Once the baby is out, Bella gets vamped by Edward, as she's about to die at any moment. Then comes the most astonishing turn of events in 21st century literature, and possibly in the entire history of awful fiction aimed at tweens: Jacob the werewolf, who has been madly in love with Bella, sees the new baby girl and immediately imprints on her. What this means, in layman's terms, is that he falls in love with the baby.

I want to pull this out on its own: Jacob falls in love with a baby.

The book makes no bones about this; while Jacob doesn't want to f*** the baby right off the bat, he can't stand to be away from it and visits everyday. His love has been transferred from Bella to the baby (who has the tongue shattering name Renesmee), and because of the science behind imprinting he'll love her forever. So one day he's going to stick his wolf dick in this girl that he see as a bloody newborn. Romance is not dead, it's just being abused by insane Mormon writers.

There's more in Breaking Dawn - the Volturi come back, for one thing - but these are the main amazing events that demand this book to be turned into a film. I will not rest until I have seen a movie in which a werewolf falls in love with a baby. Hell, once I've seen a werewolf fall in love with a baby I may quit movie watching - I will have seen the ultimate culmination of a century of cinema. The entire film of Breaking Dawn would play like the weirdest exploitation film since Doris Wishman died - brutal sex, bizarre body horror, unbelievable pedophilia.

A werewolf falling in love with a baby. This is why Thomas Edison invented this s*** in the first place. So we could see a werewolf fall in love with a baby.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 am

So last night I saw Om Shanti Om. I highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys foreign film. It is to bollywood in many ways what Singin' in the Rain is to musicals. Many tropes are included and parodied and it's a fun and tragic story.

Also, there's a gratuitous shirtless disco dance number with water splashing everywhere in slow motion. And a crotch gun. For these two things alone it's worth it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Baraka contains some of the best scenes I have probably ever seen. At one point I thought it may have my favorite movie, but after a while... I dunno, that's going a bit far.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 pm

I was subjected to Tropic Thunder last night. It was a lot funnier than I expected, albeit pretty predictable. I enjoyed the slight messing with the fourth wall.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 pm

I saw An Education tonight. I had heard very little about it (young girl with plans to attend Oxford meets older man and has relationship) and it was not at all what I was expecting.

***minor spoilers below***

I almost had to turn it off twice because of really creepy things David did. I realize that I am oversensitive to creepy sexual stuff because of my past...but was anyone else creeped out by him even before it was revealed that he was a total jerk? I guess I was just expecting to really love this movie but came away never wanting to see it again because it upset me so much.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Just came back from seeing Shutter Island with friends, and through all the way home we debated: was he really crazy, or did the institution still play mind tricks on him through his hallucinations? our group of friends was split half-way and couldn't decide; every proof that one side gave, the other side disproved easily.

In short: Scorsese's a genius.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm

OMFG I just watched Kick Ass and it is pretty much the greatest thing of all time! Exactly what I needed at the moment. Seriously, even if you've seen the red band trailer you've no idea how much amazing ass kicking, shocking, and downright joyful vigilantism you're in for with this movie. Hell yes. It really is just that awesome.

Also i have a kick Ass shirt. unfortunately it's not Hit Girl, but Red Mist is okay. McLovin, represent. :D
Just got back from seeing this. Should I mention that it's great when you introduce people to something and they end up loving it and then inviting you to the movie adaptation? It's great. I first heard about Kick-Ass after reading Wanted, both of which were written by Mark Millar. It was apparently optioned for a movie solely from the premise, before the comic was even written and published. It deserved it. Though the movie deviates from the source in some wide areas, it's not as badly a done job that Wanted was. Even Nick Cage was likable, quite a feat for me. It was hilarious, and action-y up the yin-yang. It references all of the right stuff, deconstructs all of the right stuff, and homages all of the rest.

Plus, I didn't have to ask myself afterward the question I asked myself after Watchmen: "did I actually like this movie?" (the answer to that question was "yes," by the way, but you probably don't care). Because I knew immediately that Kick-Ass was good, and entertaining, and gory, and hilariously choreographed.

I love well-done adaptations.

Row--row.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:44 pm

This isn't an ortodox movie review, but fits best in this thread.

I effin lold to tears
http://chud.com/articles/articles/21684 ... Page1.html
Reviewing Breaking Dawn: (the fourth book in Twilight)
With New Moon likely to make yet another metric f****** of money this weekend we need to find the bright side to the entire Twilight mania. There must be something good that comes from this awful Mormon fantasy that seems to have invaded our culture on every front. That something is the eventual movie version of Breaking Dawn.

Even though New Moon has made a bazillion dollars and even though the third Twilight book, Eclipse, is already filming, Summit has declined to announce the fourth and final Twilight book as a movie. There's a good reason for this: Breaking Dawn is completely f****** insane, and it is probably totally unfilmable. But if they do film it... man, we are in for a treat.

Breaking Dawn opens with Bella Swan, the lacteal heroine of the series, finally getting married to Edward Cullen, the mopey vampire hero. They go off to honeymoon on Isle Esme, a Brazilian island the Cullen clan owns (this is already ridiculous beyond belief. Imagine a vampire going snorkeling; it basically happens in this book), and Edward is afraid to f*** his new bride. The reason: he's super strong and she's just a human - Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex type of situation here. But Bella wears him down and Edward throws it in her - and knocks her the f*** out, leaving her badly bruised.

Let's go over that again: Edward f****** Bella into unconsciousness. This alone should have you running to Fandango to pre-order your tickets, but it only gets better.

Despite being knocked out cold by his sexual style (and having the headboard destroyed), Bella goes back to Edward for seconds. This time he knocks her up. Yes, an undead vampire apparently has enough viable sperm to impregnate a human woman while f****** her off the coast of Rio de Janero. Stephenie Meyer, you fabulous idiot!

The baby in Bella's belly starts growing incredibly fast. And it starts hurting Bella, as each kick it gives has the super strength of a vampire behind it. As it grows, Bella gets sicker, and then the good stuff starts. The baby kicks so hard it breaks Bella's ribs and then severs her spine. Are you imagining Kristen Stewart wearing a fake pregnancy belly and pretending to have been suddenly crippled by her own fetus? Because I am and it's making me laugh and laugh and laugh.

Oh wait, I missed something. Edward is completely freaked out about the baby, fearing it will kill Bella. He tries to convince her to get an abortion (but seriously, how could she? Vampires are tough to kill even in this s***** series), and goes so far as asking Native American wolfboy Jacob to impregnate his wife so that she can have the baby she desperately wants. I'm dizzy with how ridiculous this is, and we're just getting started.

Eventually the baby starts to get born and Bella is dying. The baby has telepathy, by the way, so everybody can read its thoughts while it's in the womb, and it turns out to have an essentially adult mind. Like Alia in Dune; I would accuse Stephenie Meyer of ripping this off, but anyone who thinks that Meyer might have read Frank Herbert has never been within spitting distance of Twilight. The woman is a moron.

In a moment that demands to be shown on the silver screen, Edward gives Bella an emergency C-section with his f****** teeth. It's like something out of XTro, for the love of God. It's so horrible it's brilliant, and this scene alone is why I remain firm in declaring that David Cronenberg must direct Breaking Dawn. This is surely his movie.

Once the baby is out, Bella gets vamped by Edward, as she's about to die at any moment. Then comes the most astonishing turn of events in 21st century literature, and possibly in the entire history of awful fiction aimed at tweens: Jacob the werewolf, who has been madly in love with Bella, sees the new baby girl and immediately imprints on her. What this means, in layman's terms, is that he falls in love with the baby.

I want to pull this out on its own: Jacob falls in love with a baby.

The book makes no bones about this; while Jacob doesn't want to f*** the baby right off the bat, he can't stand to be away from it and visits everyday. His love has been transferred from Bella to the baby (who has the tongue shattering name Renesmee), and because of the science behind imprinting he'll love her forever. So one day he's going to stick his wolf dick in this girl that he see as a bloody newborn. Romance is not dead, it's just being abused by insane Mormon writers.

There's more in Breaking Dawn - the Volturi come back, for one thing - but these are the main amazing events that demand this book to be turned into a film. I will not rest until I have seen a movie in which a werewolf falls in love with a baby. Hell, once I've seen a werewolf fall in love with a baby I may quit movie watching - I will have seen the ultimate culmination of a century of cinema. The entire film of Breaking Dawn would play like the weirdest exploitation film since Doris Wishman died - brutal sex, bizarre body horror, unbelievable pedophilia.

A werewolf falling in love with a baby. This is why Thomas Edison invented this s*** in the first place. So we could see a werewolf fall in love with a baby.
This. Is. Amazing.

That book was seriously insanely weird. And not in a good way.

Perfect review of why it should never be a movie.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 am

A Very Brady Sequel is pretty spectacularly awesome?

This movie has aged really well. Smart, funny, brilliant, and more like the TV show I think than the Brady Bunch Movie (which I haven't seen in a long time either).

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat May 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Hunt for Red October is a great movie. Seriously, so mesmerizing, I was sucked in and just had to finish it. even though it was on my DVR and I should have been going to bed.

otoh, I'm glad I feel like watching movies again. :)

Also Canadian Bacon (which makes fun of Canadians a lot an Americans moreso).
Secretary of State: We were thinking, what could be a bigger threat than aliens invading from space?
General Panzer: Ooh boy! Scare the s*** out of everyone. Even me, sir!
U.S. President: Jesus, is this the best you could come up with? What about, ya know, international terrorism?
General Panzer: Well, sir, we're not going to re-open missile factories just to fight some creeps running around in exploding rental cars, are we, sir?

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri May 07, 2010 11:54 pm

The Losers. Whoo, boy. Great comic. Good twists, very likable characters, funny moments, sad moments, awesome moments. The movie? Bad dialogue, stupid twists, only one likable character, not even a decent villain, and was, overall, bad.

Short and sweet review, courtesy of Mich.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 07, 2010 11:59 pm

I thought it was purposefully over-the-top, cheesy, and most importantly, tongue-in-cheek. Especially with the villain. I didn't believe the sad part at the beginning but I thought the rest was entertaining.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat May 08, 2010 12:25 am

I hope it was tongue-in-cheek, because otherwise, that movie had some major issues. But again, I was expecting it to be a faithful adaptation, or at least a GOOD adaptation, which allows for some changes (major or minor), but stays true to the comic. The comic was funny, and fast-paced, and violent, but it took itself seriously, from my point of view. I guess the handling of the villain could be acceptable if you aren't expecting the amazing, smooth, cool mastermind of the comic.

But seriously, that dialogue? The writing was horrible, even from a "poking fun at itself" way.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 25, 2010 12:47 pm

been to the theatre a few times in the last couple days:

Iron Man 2 - lives up completely to the first Iron Man. Funny, entertaining movie, RDJ is terrific, and a great supporting cast. The story is goofy and at times dumb (really RDJ just leaves a guy who just proved him wrong about rival suits to the French police and Hammer?) but any reservations are sort of blown away by the meta-funny aspects of the whole thing. Iron Man are two of the few comic book movies that really get the comic aspect of that noun. ;)

The Secret of their Eyes - this Argentinean film won best foreign language film last year over the ponderous White Ribbon and self important Prophet & Ajami. and it's easy to see why, it's an excellent piece of filmmaking, a terrific police/detective story with elements of mystery, romantic unrequited love, obsession and thin but important undercurrent of corruption and politics that is capped off with a final revelation that deepens our understanding of the films central theme of justice.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - one of the best films I've seen of 2010, this documentary tracks the 'street art' movement as it developed with taggers like Shepherd Fairy, enigmatic artists like Banksy and the opportunistic, slightly crazy filmmaker-turned-artist Thierra Guitry. The consternation of Fairy and Banksy at Guitry's complete commoditization of their forms and his immensely lucrative and almost 'easy' exploitation of that commoditization is quite amusing in and of itself. The film is tremendously funny, mostly because the filmmaker--guitry--is such a complete dolt who doesn't really get whats going on at all.

Shrek 4 - I feel like this is the sequel we should have received in the first place. The only thing missing is a Lady Gaga joke (and there's an obvious place for one too). It combines the same charm and wit as the first Shrek with stronger characters than the sequels have had. it's also funnier and at times a bit painful almost (in Shrek's sincere if misguided attempts to woo Fiona warrior-princess). I also really like the way Fiona got back to being the girl who went all matrix on the Robin Hood ambushers in the first Shrek, Fiona's been really boring in the last two movies, and in this film she's more like the Fiona that made such a good contrast to Shrek in the first film. Is it as good as the first film? Nope, but it's better than the blah second film and the atrocious third film. This is the only one other than the first I'd say I'd watch again.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Tue May 25, 2010 7:17 pm

The Land Before Time: A++

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm

The Land Before Time: A++
Oh, Petrie is so happy!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 pm

Robin Hood

There's a lot of good things in this Robin Hood, the grime with which they portray the era, the brutality, just the set design and sparseness of towns (there are no sprawling cities here).

there is also a lot of bizarreness and plot holes and things that don't make much sense and don't need to be there. like Maid Marian showing up at the final battle with wild boys on ponies. Robin Hood and Robin Hood's dad writing early drafts of the Magna Carta. Having Robin Hood be an upjumped peasant but then making him an important craftsman/rabble rouser's son later in the movie. Dumb flashbacks to Robin as a kid. Dumb bits with the wild boys in the woods (the wild boys were a good idea stupidly realized in the film though to the point of being pointless). and suddenly he's Robin of the Hood in Sherwood forest and they're living a happy commune life with the wild children. Seriously, WTF?!

The whole thing is a mess of inconsistent plotlines and stories, there's a very cool origin story of Robin Hood in this movie, it's a shame they had to muck it up with a bunch of garbage as well.

And what's with the gaping enormous plothole of how Godfrey got to the coast to command a small force and await the french invasion for the final battle? what the hell? That made ZERO sense and was the point I about gave up on the movie, only to give up on it a few minutes later when Marian showed up in battle armor

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Jurassic Park: B - good concept, not enough of me in it.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”