a change for America?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

a change for America?

Postby hive_king » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:51 am

So, democrats now have control of Congress. What effect do you think that will have on America and the directions we're headed in?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 am

Honestly, I'm really curious. I think it's a heck of a lot easier to sit on the sidelines and critique the people in power than it is to actually be in power yourself. I'm really curious to see how they handle it.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:01 pm

first of all, nothing is going to chang in Iraq, at least in the positive direction.

I think that the dems will be too afraid to screw up their shot at 2008. It's going to be kinda lame. The only thing that will happen is that they will slow the us's slide into sucktitude.

in all seriousness, i think that the democrats won't change much, just keep the radical changes that the republicans want to make from happening.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:33 pm

If anything we'll hear more talk about getting out of Iraq. I think they'll be a little harsher on the Presidents ideas, and things such as stem cell research, abortion, and gay rights won't fall on such closed ears.

Salaam

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:52 pm

I'm just hoping gun control laws or bans won’t come back up.
~Nick

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:12 pm

I have a hard time picturing someone whose biggest fear is more gun control as anything but a nut-job extremist.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:27 pm

that's a good way of putting my thoughts too

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:50 pm

Well I’m sorry you feel that way. I do realize that there are bigger issue.

I am just involved with multiple shooting sports, mostly Olympic style. I’m sure any new law would not greatly effect me, however many of my close friends and competitors may be effected.
~Nick

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Ok, seems more reasonable now. :wink:

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:19 pm

See I'm not really a nut-job extremist
(maybe closet but aren’t we all?)
~Nick

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:55 pm

A decent chunk of the new Dems are more politically conservative. I suspect that the Democrat party will be moving more toward the center, which I hope will at least allow a dialogue about important issues to occur between parties.

liquifiedrainbows
Soldier
Soldier

Re: a change for America?

Postby liquifiedrainbows » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 pm

So, democrats now have control of Congress. What effect do you think that will have on America and the directions we're headed in?
I think it is good that there will now be more balance. Because right now the US is kind of divided to have one part of the government controlling one party and one controlling the other is very effective.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:47 am

I have always wondered about this one thing: as time goes by, the policies of the main two parties in any democracy look more and more alike. But, as time goes by, the people and media that support each party see the other side more and more as an enemy.

Do you feel the same way?

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:13 am

If by "control" you mean a slight majority in one section and a near dead-split in the other, with a split Supreme Court and a now-weak President with no political capital...

But things could be worse. I for one am actually happy for the partisan split - with no party in "control". This kind of stalemate has been one of the few protections Americans have had against encroachments on individual rights. At the very least, whilst battling each other in the press and on the Hill, the Republocrats will have less time to impede and stamp on civil liberties.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:15 am

I have always wondered about this one thing: as time goes by, the policies of the main two parties in any democracy look more and more alike. But, as time goes by, the people and media that support each party see the other side more and more as an enemy.

Do you feel the same way?
And I feel the same way, Jota. By a subtle and slow maneuver, autocrats have found a way to undermine the carefully constructed system set up by the Founders. They have created the illusion of choice in a democracy to veil the reality.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:23 am

Honestly, I'm really curious. I think it's a heck of a lot easier to sit on the sidelines and critique the people in power than it is to actually be in power yourself. I'm really curious to see how they handle it.
My sentiments exactly. I am curious. Perhaps hopeful.

Whatever they do, they had better do a good job of it. They've been claiming to be able to for twelve years.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:38 am

I'm hopeful.

But doubtful.

Honestly, to me, the Dems aren't different from the Republicans. They both spend the majority of their time hating the other. And, honestly, extremism in the liberal direction won't please me any more than extrimism in the conservative direction did.

I'm just hoping that since the Dems that got elected are a little more centrist than the ones that kept getting shot down by the Republicans poor little moderate me won't be quite so politically disenfranchised.

Hah. Right. Pipe dream.
-Kim

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:08 am

Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”