"Turn him loose as a theorist..."

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: "Turn him loose as a theorist..."

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 am

A few months of silence... I propose a new subject, if anyone's interested. I've recently become a little more interested in morphic fields as a partial explanation for coincidence, which I hold to be non-existent. Everything in the world is linked in one way or another, thus common features of seemingly unrelated events are not coincidences, but a result of subtle influence and interconnection.

One of these interconnections may be morphic fields and I've been experiencing some odd coincidence (here just meaning happening at the same time) of thoughts with someone I've grown very close to. True, some of these are down to previous conversations and thus a common influence, but *some seem to be a little more than that.

So, morphic fields; what's your take?

*He figured there was "something different about the world" and was struggling to describe it. Around the time he had started noticing this, without any communication, I'd been thinking of an odd idea that was the perfect analogy.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:14 am

Is the term "morphic fields" something you made up, or does some definition (or--better yet--actual research) actually exist?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm

As I've been told countless times, "It'll take you five minutes to Google it and find out." And, lucky for you, it really WILL take only five minutes or thereabouts because, as far as I know, you don't take a full minute to read a line of an article! Isn't that fan-smegging-tastic?

IF I'd made them up, don't you think I'd've given a more thorough explanation? Not just leave you to your own devices to figure it out or Google it and discover it isn't there? Please excuse the sarcasm, Steve, but I'm not the happiest of chaps lately and you didn't exactly help.

Okay..., morphic fields...

A means of transmitting or transferring information between objects of certain classes, groups or categories. For example: A bunch of monkeys learn how to use the lumps of wood that have been around them for centuries to crack open the coconuts that ditto. Another group of mokneys, half the world away, learn to do the same at pretty much the exact same time. No migration, no nothing. The wood and cocnuts have always been there, so what are the chances that they'd make the same discovery within days of each other? Sure, if they were of the same species then they would learn at around the same speed, but there would be a little more variation than that. And yes, there HAS been research done.

I'm wondering on other people's opinions on their likelihood and possible functions and implementations.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 am

It seems like a very plausible concept and I do think that morphic fields could exist, another interesting thing to think about would be how these fields could relate to species evolution, if these fields worked that reliably would that not lead to far less species diversion, and fewer evolutionary paths? In addition in human history these fields could be a leveling feature causing different isolated civilizations to develop similarly thus when they eventually interact they are closer together in terms of their development. Anyways these ideas are just my initial thoughts but I do feel that this theory raises a number of interesting questions.

(also as for Boothby's comment might be related to the fact that the spell checker doesn't list morphic as a word)
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

I like your point about species diversity, but I think that habitat would supercede morphic connectivity as far as evolution was concerned. I's thinking about how it might be applied to computing, a "Sheldrake machine", so to speak. Google Sheldrake.

(Also, chances are spell checker doesn't like 'hexateron' or other such terms. I don't rely on spell checker as a reliable source of whether a word is made up or not - especially when science and maths gets involved).

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

I'll just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphic_field#Reception" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I noticed that about the spell checker it doesn't even allow philotic which is strange because it in the name of the site :roll: Hey tech's out there care to modify the spell checker???
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

Apparently, The Amazing Randi is interested in Morphic Fields:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swi ... uffle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (actually, about Sheldrake's claims of "Dog ESP")

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=100436" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Scientific American, debunking the "Staring Phenomenon" that Sheldrake associates with his Morphic Fields.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -resonance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I'll claim bullshit on your "Morphic Fields."

From Scientific American:
Sheldrake responds that skeptics dampen the morphic field, whereas believers enhance it. Of Wiseman, he remarked: "Perhaps his negative expectations consciously or unconsciously influenced the way he looked at the subjects."

Perhaps, but wouldn't that mean that this claim is ultimately nonfalsifiable? If both positive and negative results are interpreted as supporting a theory, how can we test its validity? Skepticism is the default position because the burden of proof is on the believer, not the skeptic.
You get that? Can you smell the whiff of burning BS in the air? I can.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 am

It's funny...I just had a friend I haven't spoken to in a long time call me up and ask me, "Steve...what can you tell me about morphic fields?"

NOT. :chicken:
--Boothby

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm gonna bump this thread so that I remember to read over its posts at some point.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm gonna bump this thread so that I remember to read over its posts at some point.
and now I will be doing that very same thing, thank you
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Return to “Milagre Town Square”