Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Postby Taalcon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm going to branch off from the thread here.

The discussion lead to the decision to go ahead and make plans to re-launch a web site presence for PWEB. Because I think one is far more motivated to sculpt when there's a lump of clay in front of them, I went ahead and set up http://thephiloticweb.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I would appreciate not linking this up elsewhere, because it's not a piece of artwork yet - it's still a lump of clay that hopefully we'll be able to turn into something presentable.

In the last thread, I think I went a little overboard, and perhaps was a little too scary with the in-depth-ed-ness of the roles we need volunteers to fill. I was looking at the end result rather than what is really needed to get there. I apologize for that.

Having thought it over, I realized there are only really two key categories of people we need, and I'd be happy to organize and put to work anyone willing to fit in any capacity in any of those roles.

First, the easiest:

NEWS HOUND/CORRESPONDENT
You find cool stuff for us to post about. Whether it's the latest on a new Ender Book, or a sweet scoop about the movie you read on Aint It Cool News, or even some random note you read about your favorite obscure songwriter who went on record stating Ender as an inspiration. You are our eyes. You can write about the material, or you can just note it, and pass it on, and let someone else write the copy. Do what you like to do, and feel like you can. Just keep it in the back of your mind that you're looking for cool stuff, and hang around some places where you might find it. And don't worry - you'll get credited for your scoops! Who wants to be a newshound?

Next:
EDITOR
You look at all the cool stuff the newshounds have sent you, and you organize it, make it look pretty, and present it to the public. If there's a particular subject you've heard about, and want dirt on, let the newshounds know, and they'll sniff it out for you. You don't have to be an expert on anything. If you spend enough time with anything, you become an expert without knowing it. You can make assignments, and you get final cut on what gets out there on the topics you have claimed as your own.

Starting off, we'll only really need 2 or 3 editors. Hopefully, as things pick up with the movie, we'll want more, and will be able to, to help with the workload. Who wants to be an editor?

Really, I think that's all. Any additional thoughts? I really think we - and I - were making it more complicated that it is. This is about having fun, and providing something fun for the community. It should not add stress, but be in a way a creative expression that helps relieve stress! Participating is a possible way to open doors for other experiences you may not have had otherwise. I think that's worth it. Some of the experiences I have had just for my early associations with PWEB are memories and experiences I will always remember and cherish. I just want you to be able to feel a little bit of that too. There's so much more of you now than there were then.

We can do this. It should feel more like fun than work. It's fun, with focus. It's a game.

So...

PLAY AGAIN?

-----------------
EDIT
-----------------
I'm going to list here those who have already volunteered to act in some capacity, organized by roles, just so we can keep track. Please let me know if I missed you, or misplaced you. Any omission is not intentional nor intended as a 'diss' :)

BOOKS/COMICS EDITOR:
LilBee91

MOVIE EDITOR
*empty*

NEWSHOUND:
1. Gravity Defier (working on interview, comics research)
2. *empty* (Search the internet for anything that can be found -and associated dates- based on the new Summit deal with Ender's Game. Casting call, releases, crew announcements, interviews, new stories, etc. Report back to Movie Editor.)
3. *empty (etc.)

TWITTER ACCOUNT SETUP/MANAGER
Bean_wannabe (Setup a PhiloticWeb twitter account, and begin to find and follow relevant sources/studios/movie news columnists, etc to prepare to find new material. When new material comes through the feed, report to relevant editor)

SITE DESIGN AND LAYOUT:
*empty*

TECH ASSIST:
*empty*

UNDEFINED BUT STATED TO BE WILLING:
Luet
Jayelle
Last edited by Taalcon on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 am, edited 7 times in total.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Re: Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:10 am

PLAY AGAIN?
But that was my last quarter...
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 am

Okay. Wow. Okay.
I am on board. I want to contribute where I can and I would love it if someone else would take charge of the main site aspect. Taal, are you saying that's you? Cause that would be awesome. I am in for being on a "commitee".

Unfortunately, I am about to head off to a cabin in the woods for the long weekend, so I'm not going to be online until Monday.

But please go ahead with decisions without me. I'm cool with that.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:18 am

I also don't want to take anything away from those who have been working on the design and tech aspects of it. I would be happy to set up admin-permissions accounts on the site to tinker and play.

I'm serious when I say I want to be a facilitator and organizer. I want you to get all the credit and the glory. What I'd like my role to be is just to focus and direct all of your creative skills, gifts, and enthusiasm.

My toying with design and logo was not to take control or step on what had been done before, but just to get something out there. I'd be overjoyed for Wil, Wind Swept, and/or anyone else who has done any sort of visual or development work on trying to get this to happen before. I just happened to have web space I was paying for and not using, so I went ahead and bought the domain, and set up the framework.

I want this to be your sandbox, I just need to know who wants to play, and in what capacity so I know who will be messing with what. Let me know, and I'll set you up with permissions. Wordpress and its associated themes have become quite powerful, and there's much that can be done (most of what is necessary) , edited, and uploaded direct from the Wordpress control panel.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:17 am

Being an editor sounds pretty awesome. I am up for it. I don't think I'll be much a contribution to setting up the design/tech parts of the site, but I can help fill it in with information.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:36 am

I appended a list of those who have currently volunteered to the end of the OP so we can keep track of what we have, and what we need.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 am

NEWSHOUND:
Gravity Defier (working on interview) - or do you see yourself more as an Editor as well?

Nope, the newshound sounds about right to me.

Does it matter if the information is old or doesn't easily fit into the categories you listed?

For instance, I was surprised when, Wil I think, mentioned he had no idea the military used EG in an official capacity when I thought that was common knowledge. There's this discussion guide to kind of support that.

There's Under's Game, a nice little spoof by or included in some collection by Michael Swanwick.

There are the online comics from XKCD, I think Penny Arcade and one other place. For stuff like that, that is an image versus a text, do we just drop the links here for editor's to upload? (I have the names and archive dates to easily find the comics online.)

There was Ender's Game the Band, whom I contacted last year, who obviously named themselves after the book. From a member:
You are correct that the band name derives from the "Ender's Game" book by Orson Scott Card.
I recommended the band name after seeing it mentioned in an online forum and liking the name, although at the time I had not read the book or knew it was a book title.
Since that time, everyone in the band has read the book.

I know the goal is for us to have new material but I think, to help pad it out, we shouldn't ignore the old, random stuff. Or should we? Let me know, as I may have more, random little things on my HD that I can poke around in after work and after the Chargers game. :)

ETA:

Are you/we opposed to using some of the old stuff Ami sent files for? Book covers, some of the artwork from, ah, I forget his name off the top of my head but he drew that incredible piggy (I think Syphon said we'd be wise to try to contact him for use on the site)? What, if anything, is off limits?

I know you weren't crazy about repeating the encyclopedia but there are people who aren't going to buy the companion's guide, so it might not be a complete waste. I won't be upset if it's not included, I'm just liking a well-rounded information center as well as an interactive fan-focused space.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:41 am

I think random old 'Didja Know?' stuff would be great for a regular feature. A lot of stuff that is old is still new to probably most of fandom. I like the idea of presenting this stuff as perhaps a series, for those interested.

A regular day could also be set apart for making a 'Covers' post, with selections, and perhaps voting on favorites. Each of those posts would be tagged, so that they could be pulled up for anyone wanting to see all the cover posts. Same with Fan Art. You know, like, fan art Fridays or something. A combo of old and new material.

I do think we want, as much as possible, to encourage and support the official stuff that fans wanted, such as the Enderverse guide book. Especially since a good amount of it came in some way or another from the Pweb work, and those involved in it. I think that book 'fulfilled' that desire and need for the Ender Community. I don't want anyone to say, "Why would I buy the book when the stuff's here on PWEB for free!"

HOWEVER...

I would not in the least be opposed to an 'Addendum' of encyclopedic entries for characters and elements that occurred in works published following the release of the Compendium. You know, for people (like OSC ;) to print out and stick in their copy of the book for easy reference. That would be new, useful, and not repetitious.

I love the idea of having a category of Ender's Game in pop culture references that could be tagged appropriately. Keep in mind that all blog posts can be specifically tagged and categorized to be sorted and searchable accordingly. And new menu items/links/dropdowns can be easily (push of a button) generated to immediately take you to a collection in one place of each tagged item. It's cool! Much cooler and easier than when we first started out.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:21 am

I think we should have the old stuff up. We could do an old stuff category for the blog/feed thing. Is there a way we could put it all up on the website and then have a regular posting of "hey, did you see this cool thing on our site?" Is the Wordpress thing going to be the bulk of our content, or will we have other site stuff too?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:40 am

I think we should have the old stuff up. We could do an old stuff category for the blog/feed thing. Is there a way we could put it all up on the website and then have a regular posting of "hey, did you see this cool thing on our site?" Is the Wordpress thing going to be the bulk of our content, or will we have other site stuff too?
One key reason I suggested the 'put it up in batches' way is actually to take the load off of someone feeling pressure to make it all happen, as well as to suggest one regular feature that someone could could manage, editorialize, and be creative with on a planned regular schedule. I personally think the site content and rate of return would be of more value and interest if presented serially, instead of placed all at once. And again, it also make less ALL AT ONCE work.

Although a highlight box/widget showcasing earlier posts/content wouldn't be a bad idea at all to get individuals into the backlog of the site once we get going.

Of course, this is just my perspective. I'm trying to shy away from BIG CONTENT PROJECTS that are of the all-or-nothing variety...because frankly, those rarely get done. This proposed way seems to be much more manageable, and even fun. Perhaps they could be arranged in themes. That would, of course, be up to the Editor who decides to claim the 'Random Real World Trivia' content.

If an additional Encyclopedia addendum is decided on, that would be separate from WordPress, and most likely be managed as a Wiki. Most of the content we want, however, can be run through the wordpress system as either a post, or a distinct and customizable 'page'. Keeping as much as possible in wordpress keeps it very manageable, editable by nearly anyone (With access), and all very searchable and upgrade-able.

My thoughts, FWIW.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:03 pm

[...]one regular feature that someone could could manage, editorialize, and be creative with on a planned regular schedule. I personally think the site content and rate of return would be of more value and interest if presented serially [...]
Oooh. Just brainstorming here.

Aren't there 1 minute history (of the US, of the world, etc.) podcasts out there? Not sure how stupid an idea this is but we could have someone with a personality (like Mich...who doesn't know he wants to help but he does!) do a 1 minute recording of the week's featured old/Ender history bit and we can use "Back in Time" or some other equally cheesy (and loved, dammit, *mumbles about people hating on Kanye West's "All of the Lights") quick intro song to introduce their 1-2 minute segment. Then relevant text or image links could be added nearby for people to see whatever. Quick, simple, hopefully fun.

Or not. Like I said, just brainstorming. :)

Also, how do we feel about having our own official Twitter account? NOT for us to update but so we can follow the director, producers, whoever's updates and have them all streamlined into one place. They've released some news and links there. I suppose anyone who is already on Twitter might do just as well to follow them but I like putting things in community hands, so to speak, more than personal - though it'd be easier to think others are keeping track of it, so, downsides there to0. (Along the lines of community vs. personal, any inquiring emails I send about interviews and stuff I've been doing under the PwebArchivist gmail account, so people have access if they want to poke around and see things for themselves assuming I get responses.) Again, not something that needs to be done but if we're hunting for info, that seems like a decent place to look. I'm kind of out of my element with all that, though, so feel free to strike down the idea with no hurt feelings on my part.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:18 pm

I love the idea of regular themed podcasts/vcasts, if there are people who would be willing and able to do them. Of course, that's a big IF ;)

Also, for Twitter, I do think we will want a PWEB account that can be used as a great hub. Not only to follow individuals, but to ReTweet news to their own followers. Can also inform when new stuff is coming, etc. Definitely should be a part of it.

Again - there's definitely some good 'Day Two' ideas going around. I say we start off with the general, easy-to-accomplish posts, get into a rhythm, and then from there on re-evaluate and decide what additional features (media?) we would like to/be actually able to accomplish.

I don't want anyone to commit to anything right now they may not be able to maintain, or easily pass off to someone else if needs be. We need to get the basic structure in place first, then we can go forth from there.

Great thoughts though - keep them! Don't forget them!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:40 pm

I say we start off with the general, easy-to-accomplish posts
Okay, but this is where I'm getting confused. What are the general, easy-to-accomplish posts? That's why I'm trying to throw ideas out; I know you listed the News categories and we do have stuff that Craig/Alai brought to our attention that is now "old" but from the past month or two but as I mentioned elsewhere, I'll have an easier time now if I know where I'm heading, what we want a more complete, final product to look like content-wise. There is new stuff coming out but not at a high or fast enough rate to try to build things entirely from that, though the closer it gets to filming, post, and then release, of course that will change.

I might be seeing things wrong or not being patient enough but basically, help me out while I'm still in the crawling stages. The interview is being worked on, in a sense. I told him questions will be forthcoming but I have no background on paper comics and never read the EG ones, so I'll have to do some "research" before I try to formulate anything. Is there anything I can/should be doing in the meantime to help? Because if I'm only allowed/asked to focus on this one thing, I'll go a bit cross-eyed. My attention kind of needs to be able to jump around when I hit blocks.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:14 pm

:)

My thought were that throwing together podcasts, videocasts, etc do require a substantial bit of time, and in and of themselves are, as you described them, based on additional findings and research. I say separate those categories, and get the posts reporting on existing material going before we have new commitments to media.

I do feel, however, if you (or anyone!) would like to make some prototype media projects to a) see how individuals react to them, b) get some suggestions, and c) determine how long and how much effort it would realistically take to accomplish such a thing, well, that, I think, would be a great way to get some nifty things out there. You could consider them like Pilot episodes of TV shows - if we decide to go froth with a 'series', that pilot would end up being the First Episode, or Episode 0, or whatever.

As for the Ender Comics - do we know anyone here who is familiar with them who could give you the skinny? Is there anyone over at Hatrack who may be a useful resource from you on that?

I don't want to push anyone into spending extra money to get this going (as in, buy a truckload of books -or graphic novels - they wouldn't have otherwise). There's another site I run where I write book reviews for a very niche market. While some are based on books I've purchased myself, I've been able to get a publisher or two to regularly send me ARCs for the titles in that niche market - thus, I can read and review, not pay for the books, but still get (a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny) bit of revenue from click-through purchases to my amazon.com associates account. But more importantly, cool free books!

However, if you feel such an investment would be worthwhile for a more valuable experience, then that would be up to you *grin*.

This is partially why I initially felt to suggest individuals who already had access to stuff - to keep them from wanting to spend money ;) - for example, do we have anyone with an IntergalacticMedicineShow subscription who can submit reviews and impressions of the Ender-related material made available in there?

I think the principle is, to us what resources are most simply at our disposal first, before requiring anyone to go out on a limb, if that makes any sense.

Of course, anyone can do anything they want. Just, as I said before, I don't want this to turn into a burden for anyone - just a creative outlet for having fun, and added value to the community.

Make of that as you will :)

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:17 pm

To repeat, I think before deciding on anything you want to do, you (the general you) should repeat to yourself the mantra/question: "Will this be fun, or add stress to my life?"

If stress, then pass on it. If fun, by all means, run with it!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:30 pm

This is all too exciting!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm

For stuff like that, that is an image versus a text, do we just drop the links here for editor's to upload? (I have the names and archive dates to easily find the comics online.)
We have the whole submissions board where things like that could go.

I hope this isn't overly presumptuous of me, and I don't even know if this a route we want to go, but I just made a PwebEditors gmail account that people could send content/news to. There's probably a better way of handling that transition with technology these days (wow--that sounded very old-man of me. Ew). But that could let editors see the information and make it pretty before it's announced on the site or forum. I know we already have a bunch of stuff from Ami, so whoever has those could just upload them without going through an email intermediate if that would be better. Just throwing ideas out there.

A Pweb Twitter would be great. I like the idea of this site being a fan-space, news resource, and info center. That's why I came here in the first place. Our focus probably should be the fan-space aspect of it, since that is something we can uniquely offer, but we have a lot of stuff we've compiled over the years that we should put up as well.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:46 pm

To repeat, I think before deciding on anything you want to do, you (the general you) should repeat to yourself the mantra/question: "Will this be fun, or add stress to my life?"

If stress, then pass on it. If fun, by all means, run with it!

*grin* If fun is the prerequisite, I won't be as much help as I was hoping to be, ultimately.

This is just to clarify where I'm approaching this project from, if it matters or helps to explain anything.

This has always been a means to an end for me. I am not an Ender fangirl, or if I am, not nearly to the degree I was when I first arrived on the scene. I am not an OSC fangirl; for political/moral reasons, I've become greatly disappointed in him on a "personal" level, which is perhaps unfair but there you have it.

I have not kept up with short stories in IGMS. I have not seen the comics. I can barely stand the Shadow Series. I was grateful the latest book (was that Ender in Exile? ha!) "wasn't as bad as it could have been!" I fear for the next two coming out, though they can't touch my love for the Ender Quartet, so not too worried.

So why have I pushed so hard for this addition to the forum? Because I love this forum. If I'm a fangirl of anything, it's that. I am afraid that if we don't do something to cash in on fans, we're going to continue on a slow death march...which could happen anyway, given the decreasing need/interest in forums for any topic. But I want to give this one a fighting chance. And in that light, I will do anything I can to do so. My enthusiasm is for Pweb, the community, nothing more.

I'm not saying I'd be miserable putting in this work (yes, it will always be the slightest bit heavier on the work side for me), just that it won't be all or even mostly fun. However, I wouldn't complain if it resparked a love for the Enderverse.

That is to say, I'm not disinterested in most of this stuff but I'm not exactly dying to know any of it, either. To catch up enough to be useful means stressing myself out a bit. I'm okay with that.

Not trying to speak for anyone else but I don't know of anyone offhand who has access to much (Nomi has some comics, hasn't read them) or cares to invest in them. If we really want people who are enthusiastic for the source material, I'm thinking it'll all/mostly need to be outsourced to non-Pwebbers.

If we're just trying to focus on the News feed on the wordpress, it's going to be very bare, I think. As I said before, there will be more news the closer the movie gets to being finished but for now, there's just not much material to get people broken in with. Again, I might be viewing things all wrong. I will freely admit to having no experience in this. :)

Dedicated to exploring Orson Scott Card's Ender novels. Contains searchable encyclopedia and a forum.
This comes up on a search engine as the description. If we're not going to include the encyclopedia, we need to get that removed if possible.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I hereby volunteer to help in any and every way possible, be that proof-reading, teching, editing, etc. If you need a job doing, I'll give it a go.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 am

Just to throw this out there: I own all 12 Ender & Shadow comics. I have never read them (except for the first Ender one) because I found that I hate comics, even Ender ones! So if anyone (Alea?) was interesting in learning more about that part for the interview or otherwise but didn't have them or want to spend the money, I'd be happy to pass them along. If you don't want to keep them afterwards, I would just ask that you give them to a pwebber/fan who would like to own them.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:20 am

Since Alea is doing the interview she gets first dibs, but if she doesn't want them I wouldn't mind taking a peak. I can become a comic genius. Well, probably not a genius, but yea...

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am

*grin* If fun is the prerequisite, I won't be as much help as I was hoping to be, ultimately.

This is just to clarify where I'm approaching this project from, if it matters or helps to explain anything.

This has always been a means to an end for me. I am not an Ender fangirl, or if I am, not nearly to the degree I was when I first arrived on the scene. I am not an OSC fangirl; for political/moral reasons, I've become greatly disappointed in him on a "personal" level, which is perhaps unfair but there you have it.
I could have written most of that myself.

The last Ender book I got was Shadow of the Giant - and I never finished reading it. Heck, that's the one where I'm thanked by name in the acknowledgement section for some reason I still don't know. At least the other times I was mentioned by name (Shadow Puppets, Authorized Ender Companion) I knew I had actively attempted to contribute!

Which brings me to another key point - since the paperback edition of Shadow of the Hegemon, Philoticweb.net has been mentioned in every new Ender novel published (excluding the short a War of Gifts, I believe) in one form or another. As far as I know, it will continue to be reprinted in later editions. People will wonder about it. You couldn't ask for better advertising!

Which is another key part of my enthusiasm - the pure fanboy part of me has moved on. However, I know the excitement I experienced when:
a) OSC called us out at a booksigning for our work
b) Took us out to dinner and dessert afterwards
c) Wanted to sell the shirts we made and designed over at Hatrack, and at EnderCon
d) Assigned us to host different panels at EnderCon
e) Unsolicited, OSC sent us Encyclopedic info (such as the Slang List)
f) Unsolicited, OSC sent us an electronic ARC of Shadow of the Hegemon (which I later printed out, got bound and signed!)
g) OSC sent us some new 'scoops' about new books, etc for us to post before anyone else
h) The paperback of SotH listed Ami, and the actual web address of philoticweb.net in it, with subsequent books noting the site, and others of the pweb team.

These are the types of things we dreamed about and laughed about being a result of our work. BUT THEY HAPPENED.

There's a few parts of the initial dream that haven't been fulfilled yet, but only because it hasn't been possible - that involves getting in with the Ender's Game film. For a time, when Wolfgang Petersen was attached to the Ender film, Adam was able to have contact with the drafts of the screenplay - both the earliest drafts, and those by Gough and Millar. But time came and went - and that form of the production clearly left.

But now...it appears to be happening again. I have no doubt that if there are some of you who are persistent and want it to happen, you will be able to make happen some sort of special relationship with some aspect of the movie's production and publicity. Once there's a site up and running with news, we can easily point to the publication in OSC's novels as a sign of our legitimacy. We were the face or representation of Ender Fans. I believe that if we get on board, we could even get OSC to put in a good word for us. But what we need to do, is to BE BACK. We need to represent the Ender Affected again. Outwardly, not just inwardly.

I don't view outsourcing as a problem, because all it would be doing as adding new individuals to the community. It would be making converts, so to say *grin*.

I just know that you, the new generation of Pwebbers, have an opportunity to have a part in the realization of the movie experience that you will always remember and cherish, and look back on as something very cool you were able to be a part of. I want to help make that happen for you.

That is what excites and drives me. Not being a gushing fanboy, but helping those for whom Ender, in some way, has had an influence on their life - even if it involved just getting them to join the community here. If you're reading this, it's done something for you in someway. However you may feel about OSC now, it's undeniable that he and his book did something important for you, somewhere, somehow. There are others who share that.

I don't know what the best way would be to do that.

But, in writing this, I do think the most interesting thing you could do IS to gather stories of individuals lives, where Ender was a turning point in some way - whether it effected their way of thinking, effected a major decision in their life, lead to them meeting their spouse, whatever. Find a way to express those stories, whether through the written word, podcasts, videos, etc.

But the more I think about this, the more I realize that the site isn't about book news. It's about, well, as the site of the name puts it, the Philotic Web. In some way, Ender ties all our lives together. The site should be useful for anyone who feels that they can identify with the PWEb, whether still a raging fanboy/girl or not.

There are some powerful stories out there that are worth sharing with those who are already a part of the community, but just don't know it yet. New books and stuff are auxilliary, but the movie sort of represents something big. Something even dormant fans can get excited about and gather around again. It represents a lot of hopes and fears.

So perhaps the book news, comic news, etc will be nice little ticker items, but the real stories are with the individuals whose life Ender has effected in some way - and I think that's a great approach for even the interview with the Comics guy.

Alright, I just thought of a new way of thinking of it.
It probably comes from the Mormon in me, so you can forgive me of it if you will:
PhiloticWeb.net's front page will be the Missionary Effort, so to say *grin* . A place to say, you belong here, even if you didn't know it yet. Inviting those whose lives have already been effected by the Enderverse in some way to come in and join the community, and inviting others to read the book, see the movie, and join in, and to share their own story.

That's what this community - that's what pweb is - it's not a place for Ender fans - it's a place for a community built on those whose lives have been effected - in some way or another, be it small or large - by an Ender's Game EXPERIENCE. It's a gathering place.

Is that what the core for this new site should be? Is that where the passion is? Is that what would make it fun again?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:52 am

In the vein of this, I just put up a placeholder post up at http://thephiloticweb.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with a blast-from-the-past EnderCon 2002 picture up to represent 'community'. Or whatever. You know, for kids.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:54 am

:stamp:

I do really wish I had more time to be involved in this. I almost volunteered, but had to convince myself I would only be dead weight, which is probably closer to true than I like. I am thrilled for you folks taking this on. As disappointed as I've become with the novels, I have pweb to thank for my husband, child, and a huge number of friends.

And I still think some of our fan movie trailer scripts were pretty boss.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Oh, man, Taal...you have a way with words. Did I tell you your enthusiasm is awesome, because hot damn, it's awesome. :mrgreen:

Nomi, you are awesome. Thanks!

Shannon, would you mind co-working on the comics with me? (I may end up doing some editor stuff, just in the course of things, just like others may end up doing more than one job) I'm going to try to get my hands on them around these parts, which would free up Nomi's copies for you.

B_w, you are likewise awesome for volunteering to assist. Taal, is there anything you can think of that he should try to begin with? Maybe he can gather screencaps of the tweets that have come out so far, so we can have them show the progression of events? Or he could open the Twitter account for Pweb?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I think that would be a great idea for B_W, and/or anyone else to claim those specific tasks, A, B, and C. We should have one individual each for A and C, but we can have many individuals on the lookout for B.

A) SOCIAL MEDIA:
* Setup a PhiloticWeb twitter account, and begin to find and follow relevant sources/studios/movie news columnists, etc to prepare to find new material. When new material is found, report to (C)

B) GETTING UP TO DATE ON THE MOVIE:
* Search the internet for all that can be found (and associated dates) based on the new Summit deal with Ender's Game. (casting call, releases, crew announcements, interviews, new stories, etc). Report back to whoever is doing (A), and (C)

C) MOVIE 'PAGE' EDITOR
Apart from individual Blog posts as news comes in, we will set up a page where all that is known about the production can be gathered and organized. Let me know if someone wants to be in charge of keeping this up to date, and I will set them up with an account with appropriate permissions at the WordPress account. This would probably be the Editor in charge of Movie News as we begin.

*HINT: IMDB has a free trial for their IMDBPro - if you sign up, there is a lot of links and information about the EG production (and links to industry trade mags) with initial news, dates, studio timeline, phone numbers, addresses, etc not available on the free account. I highly suggest someone sign up for the trial - you need a credit card to do so, but nothing will be charged for the trial. You can easily cancel before any monthly fee sets in, unless you feel you can afford the amount *grin*

Here's the original press release:
Summit plays 'Ender's Game'
Summit Entertainment is in talks to co-finance and handle domestic distribution of sci-fier "Ender's Game," nine years after the project was set up at Warner Bros.

The minimajor said Thursday that Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine") is attached to direct the film adaptation of the 1985 novel "Ender's Game," written by Orson Scott Card. Story centers on a young boy genius drafted to destroy alien invaders.

Sierra / Affinity will launch international sales at this year's Cannes Film Market.

Warner made a deal in 2002 for director Wolfgang Petersen to bring Card's "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow" to the bigscreen. "Ender's Game" begins as alien attacks have nearly wiped out the human race and a frantic world government trains children for war by teaching them a competitive game.

K/O Paper Products, OddLot Entertainment and Digital Domain are production partners on the film, with Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman producing via their K/O Paper Products banner, Gigi Pritzker and Linda McDonough producing via OddLot Entertainment, along with Orson Scott Card and Lynn Hendee. Exec producers include OddLot's Bill Lischak, K/O's Mandy Safavi and Digital Domain's Cliff Plumer and Ed Ulbrich.

Hood is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.
There's a good list of name, companies, etc to check up on and look up in that release!

Also, dates listed on the site:
22 September 2010 Optioned Property
31 January 2011 Script
29 April 2011 Set up at Summit.

And March 13, 2013 is the currently scheduled release date.

Alright:

Any specific volunteers who will claim A, B, or C?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Shannon, would you mind co-working on the comics with me? (I may end up doing some editor stuff, just in the course of things, just like others may end up doing more than one job) I'm going to try to get my hands on them around these parts, which would free up Nomi's copies for you.
I would love to! I should be able to get some from my college library, but it can be a little slow at getting newer releases (especially comics). I'll scope it out today so I can get started and see what ones I'll need to procure from Nomi or elsewhere.

Who has all of the stuff that was on old Pweb, or what we've recovered of it? I personally would prefer working on the books/comics part of the site, which isn't as new and exciting as the movie stuff, but I like it better... I will edit and/or put up anything, but if someone else wants to focus on the movie stuff, feel free.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Awesome! I will set you up as a content creator on the site so you can play around with it. Would you like to post as LilBee91, or would you like a separate name for use on the front page?

If you don't already do so, I suggest checking out the About Orson Scott Card forum over at Hatrack - that's where OSC made his latest long post on the nature of the newest books, release plans, etc. (look for the topic started by OSC)

Alright...things are flowing :) Alright - check the OP again for current openings and assignments.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Awesome! I will set you up as a content creator on the site so you can play around with it. Would you like to post as LilBee91, or would you like a separate name for use on the front page?
Maybe drop the 91 so I don't date myself.

Eek! This is exciting! I foresee my productivity level for this weekend dropping. =]

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Who has all of the stuff that was on old Pweb, or what we've recovered of it?
I have what Ami emailed; I believe I forwarded it thus far to Wil, Jan, and Chris. Shall I send that to the PwebEditors account? Of course I shall. It'll be on its way as soon as I verify the account you set up. There's not a lot, a lot but what's there is fun to see. :)

As far as the online comics, if you were including those, urls here:

http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/000217.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/02/18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://xkcd.com/241/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://xkcd.com/304/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://xkcd.com/635/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I can set up the Twitter feed, though I have limited experience with it. I assume the drill is just to follow everything remotely connected to the film, books etc. and post it here? And is a name like PWeb_News_Aggregator acceptable?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I'd just call it ThePhiloticWeb, or PWeb, or PWEB_(yourname). I don't see any need to differentiate it - eventually you'll get followers, and you'll reTweet the news you do find for those who follow you.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Alea--yup, you got the right email. PwebEditors@gmail.com Thanks bunches! Though I'm still not quite sure what we're doing with all of it, but that's what playing around is for, right? Off to explore!

Anything with PWeb seems like a fine Twitter name to me. In addition to retweeting and such, will Twitter info be shared with editors to post? or I guess we could just follow the feed ourselves; that would probably be easier.

Update on the comic front. I forgot how much Utah is obsessed with OSC. My college library has pretty much everything written by him or related to him in the slightest. However, this obsession is apparently so great that most of his books (including the comics) are presently trapped in some special American author collection that can only be accessed on weekdays before 6pm. Who knew OSC was so classic?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:43 pm

For the Twitter account, I like PhiloticWeb best, if only because it's basically the URL. Can't get any stronger a tie to here than that.

Nomi, I know you're occupied with house stuff but were you still wanting to help? Would you like to take a look at the stuff from Ami, to see if you can come up with any fun/creative ideas with Shannon or did you want to hold off on helping for a bit?

ETA: Shannon, remember, there have been some editions released since the olden days of Pweb. There's the cover, for instance, of the e-book, the kid covers, etc.

I think I have access to all 12 now; I definitely have some, anyway. I'll start reading this weekend and will hopefully finish within a few days.

I'll approach the idea of maybe doing IMDB after I get the interview taken care of, if no one else tackles it before then. That definitely seems like it could yield some leads to big stuff, so it will have to wait for my attention. If anyone else wants to get into that though, that's cool, too.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 pm

So, here's is what I like doing and what I don't like doing and you guys can tell me if I can be of any use because I really don't know if I can.

I like searching the internet for hours and finding stuff. I like making stuff look pretty but in a secretarial/proofreading kind of way. I like finding grammatical errors and typos and centering and bolding, etc. I don't mind emailing contacts and bugging people.

I do NOT like writing stuff. I do not like working on the creative aspects of anything, like making pictures or colors or whatever. I don't have the patience to actually read anything in detail, but I can skim. I would not like to actually do interviews - written, phone, video or otherwise. I feel pretty useless.

I have plenty of time on my hands but I feel like there is not much that I feel like making myself do. I'll crochet something? I will try to type up the story of how Mark and I met because of EG. But even that, I feel like I should tell the story to someone who writes better so you can do it. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”