Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks. :) But yes, important thing is, she seems super friendly and open to the idea of working together. That could mean good things for us.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:16 pm

If we decide to make this happen and work it out, I think what would be ideal for both of us is to keep both identities, and do a full-on merger. Call it "The Philotic Web | Ender's Ansible" (or the other way around) . Where PWEB represents the full community, and the Ansible remains the growing in popularity news outlet. Both names have their own followings and identities at this point. And I think both are perfectly named for their respective purposes!

When she is prepared to talk, I'll discuss what sort of services she already has in place for the site, costs, etc, and we can evaluate. If a moderate cost would allow for further features, I'd consider supplying that as a show of good faith, and we could possibly discuss adding editors (she would certainly remain the head admin of her own site - this would be a merger, not a takeover by ANY MEANS, and I want to make sure we don't give that impression!).

This way, at least for the time being, we could keep the PWEB URL separate to go here, although we would probably want to place a prominent link in the banner to direct one to our "affiliate / partner" Ender's Ansible for News. We could eventually discuss having philoticweb.net itself be directed to the news site, but as we are aware, we may not be able to have access to the domain for such purposes. I'm actually fine with that. If we link prominently to the Ansible in our header, and the Ansible links prominently to us in their header, our purposes will be served. I think this may be the best of both worlds, and nobody has to reinvent the wheel.

In fact, I'd suggest going ahead and making a prominent link to her site in our header right now if possible, for those who come here looking for news! It's a great show of good faith, too.

Thoughts?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm

I think a mutual linking would be a good start (or just us linking to her).

My thoughts after skimming through the Ansible site:
She is definitely much more on top of news than we are.
I like the opinion section.
If we have the means and are going to merge more officially, we should do so in such a way as to get rid of the ads.
The Shadows in Flight page puts mine to shame.
I want whatever our final site is to have info about all the books and comics, not just the latest thing. I don't know if she has plans for that or not or how we would organize all of it if we merged, but the past books are just as important to the community as the news. Maybe Pweb could be the relic of community things and the Ansible the news source?
All of this merging talk makes me wonder if we should keep Pweb as just the forum and put all the interviews and such in here, or if we should continue our website-making attempts.
We should probably have a link to Hatrack on our website.
As much as I love the idea of good things for Pweb and having a beautiful news addition to it, I'm a little sad that we didn't do it first...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I want whatever our final site is to have info about all the books and comics, not just the latest thing. I don't know if she has plans for that or not or how we would organize all of it if we merged, but the past books are just as important to the community as the news. Maybe Pweb could be the relic of community things and the Ansible the news source?
Agreed.

All of this merging talk makes me wonder if we should keep Pweb as just the forum and put all the interviews and such in here, or if we should continue our website-making attempts.
Wondering much the same. It's related, I think, to how we handle the above. I do think, if we continue with a website of our own, to tackle older stuff, it'd be nice to have something custom made so it's all under one URL or have the mods do something to contact Ami. I've already asked all I'm going to on that, however, in three separate threads, over the past two months.

As much as I love the idea of good things for Pweb and having a beautiful news addition to it, I'm a little sad that we didn't do it first...
A-freaking-men.

Otherwise, a merger would be beneficial and as I said to her in my email, we need her much more than she needs us.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 pm

We'd be bringing free targeted advertising by means of worldwide published editions of Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and the Enderverse Compendium ;) Eat that, Google AdWords!

Seriously though, while it would have been great if our community could have gotten it going, we didn't. That's the past. We're in the present now, the movie is rolling forth full throttle, and we just found a fantastic opportunity to shrug off what we didn't do, and jump on the horse and go running in a place where people are already coming, instead of needing to build ourselves up from scratch.

In many ways, this is a godsend. And we most likely will be adding not only the webmaster, but some of her followers to our community. I consider that a net gain, yo.

Let's relish this moment, guys - the EG movie is for real now, and we have an opportunity to get on board and in the limelight. Especially if some of Steve's efforts on getting back on board work out in any degree!

Also, Steve would be a cool person to interview, seeing his connection to the Battle School design in the comics and stuff ;)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but is that one big "Let's just be the best forum we can be and forget about the rest!"?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 pm

No, it was a let's get over our past missed opportunities, move forward with life and get married to that new site and have lots and lots of babies together ;)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 pm

8)

P.S. I hate changing diapers. Not sure how that translates here but, ya know. Diapers. Blegh.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:22 pm

This way, at least for the time being, we could keep the PWEB URL separate to go here, although we would probably want to place a prominent link in the banner to direct one to our "affiliate / partner" Ender's Ansible for News. We could eventually discuss having philoticweb.net itself be directed to the news site, but as we are aware, we may not be able to have access to the domain for such purposes.
We don't need any additional control to redirect the front page anywhere. While we do to make "http://philoticweb.net/" be something useful, we can easily make "http://philoticweb.net/" direct you to "http://thephiloticweb.net/" just like right now it just redirects you to the forum.

Also, were you still looking at other hosts for the current loading issues? While I cannot contribute much time to the project (today is the first I've read through this thread) I can at least set you up there.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:57 pm

First of all, hi everyone. I promised myself I wouldn't dive into this project until after final exams but here I am anyway (Wednesday is my last final).
I read some most of what's posted on this thread. I really like Taalcon's ideas (Dave, right? someone told me in the chat).
If we decide to make this happen and work it out, I think what would be ideal for both of us is to keep both identities, and do a full-on merger. Call it "The Philotic Web | Ender's Ansible" (or the other way around) . Where PWEB represents the full community, and the Ansible remains the growing in popularity news outlet. Both names have their own followings and identities at this point. And I think both are perfectly named for their respective purposes!
Agreed to all of the above. Here's my idea. I say we go ahead with the new domain (we can discuss a name later). I'll host the news on subdomain http://www.endersansible.com and point the naked domain http://endersansible.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to the new domain and I'll make the home button link to the new domain too. You guys could do the same. Host the forum on subdomain http://www.philoticweb.net and point the naked domain to the new domain and link your home button to new domain. If that's possible on your end.

The new domain could have links to both sites and maybe that's where we can put the new stuff: encyclopedia, fan art, movie pictures when they're released etc. Someone can get creative with that; those are my ideas so far.
When she is prepared to talk, I'll discuss what sort of services she already has in place for the site, costs, etc, and we can evaluate. If a moderate cost would allow for further features, I'd consider supplying that as a show of good faith, and we could possibly discuss adding editors (she would certainly remain the head admin of her own site - this would be a merger, not a takeover by ANY MEANS, and I want to make sure we don't give that impression!).
We can talk about all this after Wednesday (because if I start this I'll never get around to studying several variable calculus). Until then, if anyone wants to consider helping with news on Ender's Ansible let me know (email is best, webmaster.endersansible@gmail.com) -either just mailing me links or actually writing it up, because it's a little time consuming.
This way, at least for the time being, we could keep the PWEB URL separate to go here, although we would probably want to place a prominent link in the banner to direct one to our "affiliate / partner" Ender's Ansible for News. We could eventually discuss having philoticweb.net itself be directed to the news site, but as we are aware, we may not be able to have access to the domain for such purposes. I'm actually fine with that. If we link prominently to the Ansible in our header, and the Ansible links prominently to us in their header, our purposes will be served. I think this may be the best of both worlds, and nobody has to reinvent the wheel. In fact, I'd suggest going ahead and making a prominent link to her site in our header right now if possible, for those who come here looking for news! It's a great show of good faith, too.
Thoughts?
I can link you guys in the links bar right now or maybe right above the links bar, I'll have to go have a look. Maybe someone with Pweb graphics can make me a thin banner just below my own banner that says Affiliate/ Partner: Philoticweb.net with a description or something like that so I can set a click-through. (Entire site width is 984px, as is my banner) Or if you want it in the right side bar... the width there is 284px.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!
P.S. I've taken basic programming and I can problem solve and learn how to fix site problems... but I'm not very good with html.
P.S.S. My friend Declan who writes the opinion section over at Ender's Ansible should be poking his head around here soon
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Well damn, I'm late to the bandwagon on this one.

Short resume: I write well, I research well, I edit very well, and I was rather good at public speaking back in the day. I'll do any writing, editing, researching or podcast-recording you guys need.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:15 pm

I like the new domain with two sub-domains strategy. Or whatever else we want to do, or can do with our server access and such. The Techies know much more about that than I do. I'll do any content stuff that we need. I can offer opinions and suggestions for organizations/layout, but won't be much help in that regard.

And Petra, there is still lots of work that needs done. The bandwagon welcomes you!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Agreed to all of the above. Here's my idea. I say we go ahead with the new domain (we can discuss a name later). I'll host the news on subdomain http://www.endersansible.com and point the naked domain http://endersansible.com to the new domain and I'll make the home button link to the new domain too. You guys could do the same. Host the forum on subdomain http://www.philoticweb.net and point the naked domain to the new domain and link your home button to new domain. If that's possible on your end.
...I'm not entirely sure what the intent with this is. My experience with web users is that your average user tends to think of foo.com and http://www.foo.com as identical. Web browsers to some extent assume this; it seems confusing to me to direct them to different sites. I dunno, I don't feel too strongly about it, but I'm not sure what the motivation is.

Edit: Oh and yes, we can certainly do that from here, though.

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:28 am

I concur with zero. Playing with the www subdomain seems misguided.

I can get behind the idea of keeping Ender's Ansible the news site and Pweb the community site with more integration, but we can do that by simply making the navigation between the two more seamless.

I'm not sure I understand the intended purpose of this middle-ground site.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 am

I concur with zero. Playing with the www subdomain seems misguided.

I can get behind the idea of keeping Ender's Ansible the news site and Pweb the community site with more integration, but we can do that by simply making the navigation between the two more seamless.

I'm not sure I understand the intended purpose of this middle-ground site.
The intended purpose was for so that traffic would eventually go there before either of our sites so that people could decide where to go... news, community, fun stuff. Blah- it sounded much better in my head (I hate when that happens). I totally understand what zeroguy said about the average user thinking the naked domain and www subdomain are the same. In short: my idea was a terrible idea how that I've come back to analyze it. Better ideas to come (I hope).
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 am

As a non-tech, I can't/won't comment on the stupidity or lack thereof of your idea but I can and will say, thanks for being a part of the conversation, period. I look forward to more ideas, including any potentially stupid ones, you may have. :)

Chris, "making the navigation between the two more seamless"... can you further comment on what this might look like? I haven't commented or suggested anything up to this point because I don't know enough to even begin guessing what it might look like. Are we talking banners/links on both sides? Something more?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Chris, "making the navigation between the two more seamless"... can you further comment on what this might look like? I haven't commented or suggested anything up to this point because I don't know enough to even begin guessing what it might look like. Are we talking banners/links on both sides? Something more?
I don't know if he had any specific design ideas in mind, but the idea (as I understand it) is just to use the same exact design and graphics etc on both sites. So, for example, if the design involved tabs or something, you click the 'forum' tab, and you're at philoticweb.net, which has the same banner and design, etc, but the 'forum' tab is highlighted.

The only potential problem I'm aware of with that is trying to keep them the same between the two sites, so you don't get a weird effect where they look really really similar but slightly different. But that shouldn't be an issue.

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:15 am

I don't know if he had any specific design ideas in mind, but the idea (as I understand it) is just to use the same exact design and graphics etc on both sites. So, for example, if the design involved tabs or something, you click the 'forum' tab, and you're at philoticweb.net, which has the same banner and design, etc, but the 'forum' tab is highlighted.

The only potential problem I'm aware of with that is trying to keep them the same between the two sites, so you don't get a weird effect where they look really really similar but slightly different. But that shouldn't be an issue.
Yes, this is what I meant. At the very least, making the headers and navigation the same.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 am

Can we at least go ahead and get a simple text link to Ender's Ansible in the header now? Cassandra has already made good on her end with a nice prominent PWEB link on her site.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:48 pm

Certainly. I opened up the template files the other day to do just that, then forgot why I'd opened them and got distracted by other things.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Finals are over so I have some free time now to work on a project or two.
Thanks for the add in the links bar!
Here's what's going on with Ender's Ansible. I bought the domain from GoDaddy for two years only because I wasn't sure how things were going to work out. I have free hosting on Blogger (a lot like Wordpress). I chose blogger over wordpress because I heard somewhere, not even sure if it's true- that wordpress charges a fee for hosting with a top-level domain and I knew that I'd eventually want a top-level domain.

I got one server from GoDaddy, but something I've learned is that my GoDaddy server HATES my Google servers (I have 4 Google servers, for free). Even the tech support guys at GoDaddy were dumbfounded. I've tried many combinations of them and even just the GoDaddy server... but it didn't work right so now I just use the 4 Google servers. Sometimes when I'm updating my DNS records for something the GoDaddy server automatically reinserts itself and then my site goes crazy for about a day until I realize and fix the problem.

I also bought Domains by Proxy from GoDaddy so that when someone does a /whois they get GoDaddy's info instead of my personal info. I also bought a "Certified Domain Seal" basically just a little graphic that says your site is safe or something- I've never bothered to put it in my footer or anything and a Bussiness Registration- not even sure what it does or why I bought it.

Um, what else? I have 3 "blogs" (hosting) one for the www subdomain, another for the Opinion Section and a third which I only use for testing layout and design stuff. I download the layout every time I change it and I download the site content about twice a month.To promote the site I use Twitter, Reddit, Fetch as Google Bot (ask Google to crawl the front page) and Tumblr (although I sometimes forget about Tumblr).

Did I leave anything out? Not sure, but I am sure that I've inevitably use some website lingo wrongly. I was thinking about adding some sort of photo viewer over break so that as pictures come in from the set things will look cleaner and be easier to navigate. I haven't looked too much into it yet.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Alright, folks.

*Things of the exciting nature are still happening in casting
*Cassandra has awesomely decided to partner with us and continue providing news
*Chris or someone else awesome is making Facebook updates on The Philotic Web account
*I'm emailing Ami to hopefully get us some key updates (details in Star Chamber thread; any discussions about taking it a step further and offering to buy whatever off her should happen there) and am awaiting completion of the comic interview (got a wicked awesome image made for us and already sent by the artist that will be posted with the interview)
*Dave is (possibly) working on a timeline (did you want/need further details on that?)
*Petra-Kim has offered her services in pretty much all areas (thanks!!)
*B_w was updating Twitter and offered his services in pretty much all areas
*Shannon is working on comics/books and basic editorial stuff

Jan, if you're reading in here, was your offer to help still on the table or were you wanting to withdraw said offer? Totally understandable if you want/have to but I'd like to see more discussion on what we can do to build up the "home page"/site material and it'd be cool to know who's in for brainstorming.

Hopefully I didn't leave anyone out.

But to continue the conversation, Shannon and I expressed an interest in being a database of sorts for older material since Cassandra is providing a lot/most/all of the new movie and book info.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions on where to go from here? It can be small ideas but momentum is good. Stagnancy is bad.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:35 am

So everyone knows what's going on, Chris did some mysterious ritual that linked the Facebook and Twitter accounts, so I'm just posting news to Facebook and Twitter mirrors the posts.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:03 pm

So everyone knows what's going on, Chris did some mysterious ritual that linked the Facebook and Twitter accounts, so I'm just posting news to Facebook and Twitter mirrors the posts.
Twitter says you guys aren't following me. You should :wink: Twitter is always where I post the news after the website... but if you all are using facebook I can look into it. I think the way I set it up my facebook page is my actual website page. I can try and see if I can change that without losing any likes, I know that when I switched domains I had to loose all the likes. That way the news is cohesive.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Once my finals are done (Wednesday) I'll have a lot more time to devote to creating pages for all the books/comics like I have for SiF and EG. I'm not quite sure how we're planning on integrating that part of the website. I can keep making the pages on the wordpress we have going. If that'll transfer well to our final hosting/site/whatever we decide than it shouldn't be a problem. Alternatively, I can write them all up in HTML (once I re-teach myself) and just post them whenever we make that decision.

Pretty much, I'm a little confused exactly what direction we are going site-wise (i.e. I have no idea what people are saying in the Star Chamber thread). I want to keep working on our pages of old info and such. It just seems potentially wasteful to design them with one site in mind if we're going to switch things up. If we're going to keep the same basic wordpress thing or they will transfer easily, than I'll keep working on Taal's site. If not, I can just work on the content part and make the design more generic.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Shannon, I can't answer to the direction of the site as far as content but as far as what's being discussed in the Star Chamber thread, I'm largely requesting from Ami upgrades that will allow us to connect the WordPress Taal started to Pweb instead of needing to have it at thephiloticweb. That is, we're trying to make it possible for Pweb, as it is now, to support WordPress, period. With that understanding, anything you did now would be easily transferable unless I'm misunderstanding things more than I think is possible. As far as how we integrate our stuff with Cassandra's if/when Ami gets things updated, as far as I'm aware, the technology is not the issue with what gets put up; we will have final say.

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Ok so here's the big question that I feel like is the big elephant in the room,
Do you all suggest I move the site to Wordpress?

I'm not going to lie, it freaks me out a little because I'm unfamiliar with it and I rejoiced the last time I finished redesigning my layout, but I'd consider it if you guys want.

Or can we just exchange layout files?

Edit: I'm taking a look at this
http://pulsed.blogspot.com/2007/07/blog ... chart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the blogger site, some of the info is a little wrong outdated. Wordpress doesn't have free CSS editing? eh.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Here's my thought.

Cassandra already has a significant following over at the blogger site. I think to make any sort of transfer at the moment would not be helpful.

I think there are phases here, which all need to be worked through before the decision to move over would be an issue.

PHASE 1: Separate, but Affiliated
Cassandra has been awesome in how she has integrated PWEB into her navigation - the forum-chat tab takes her visitors straight to PWEB, as well as a high-contrast link across the top-center.
We have created a link to Ender's Ansible in our header, but I think it needs to be more descriptive, such as Ender's Ansible: Latest Movie News and Updates, or something like that.

PHASE 2: Graphical Integration
While keeping the names distinct at this phase, I think it would be helpful to begin having similar logo-type designs. Cassandra, if you are keen on keeping yours as it is, I know I am perfectly fine with having a pweb logo that looks more like your type-face. We'd need input from the community on that, though. If everyone is open, however, we could do some brainstorming (perhaps in a different thread) of some different options and approaches to consider. At this phase, PWeb would be noted as an affiliate of EA, and EA would be noted as an affiliate of PWeb.

These are things we can do and work on right now.

When it comes to the plans for a more expansive PWEB site, it is at this point all hanging on if we can get things going on the server. If we can, and we can get a WordPress front page going at PWEB, that, I think, is where we would discuss further options of integration.

Because of the speed issues, I do not recommend the server I'm using at goddaddy with thephiloticweb.net as any sort of permanent location. It is, however, a great sandbox for us to play around with, and get things organized and tested out. I say right now, all non-movie based information should be focused over there, with EA standing firm as the Movie News Outlet.

If we are able to get a PWEB front page working out with momentum and material we are ready and happy to launch with, I say we do so, and begin, perhaps, to have Cassandra cross-post her movie news over at PWEB as well - two places for the same news stories. Cassandra will definitely be welcomed as a full and equal staffer/contributor on the PWEB blog/site. It would be at that point, I think, where Cassandra can look and decide if she would like to fold her EA blogger content into the wider PWEB WordPress network, and make the integration/merger complete. hopefully by then, much of her audience will also have come over to the PWEB community and other news resources as well!

In short, no, I don't recommend you switch over to a wordpress blog right now. Keep going as you are, and if you later decide to become part of what we hope to have established, there will already be a framework set up and ready for you to come into :)

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 pm

PHASE 2: Graphical Integration
While keeping the names distinct at this phase, I think it would be helpful to begin having similar logo-type designs. Cassandra, if you are keen on keeping yours as it is, I know I am perfectly fine with having a pweb logo that looks more like your type-face. We'd need input from the community on that, though. If everyone is open, however, we could do some brainstorming (perhaps in a different thread) of some different options and approaches to consider. At this phase, PWeb would be noted as an affiliate of EA, and EA would be noted as an affiliate of PWeb.
I'm not really attached to the logo design. I originally chose that logo/theme because I let the visitors over at Ender's Ansible vote on the theme they wanted and that's what they picked. I like it because it's very graphic but if someone can make a better one by all means go ahead. If the community here decides they want to recycle same of the same graphics or even some of my old graphics from the old layout, or the font and color information, I think I have some blank copies somewhere on my hard drive to play with. The only thing I'm attached to is the width of 984px, because I did some internet research and I read that's the most compatible website width (also the width of the Apple website). Oh also, I tried not to use any of the official graphics so that I wouldn't get in any legal trouble.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 am

Alright, folks.

Jan, if you're reading in here, was your offer to help still on the table or were you wanting to withdraw said offer? Totally understandable if you want/have to but I'd like to see more discussion on what we can do to build up the "home page"/site material and it'd be cool to know who's in for brainstorming.
Yes, I am still on board. Sorry for not being around lately. I would love to see more merging between EA and us, especially in the header. As far as I'm concerned, what's up there at the top of the page is temporary, we have never been able to have a decent logo and it would be really great to do that. I wish I knew more about tech stuff so we could just DO it, but I'm not.

I am still not over the fact that the movie is really happening. It makes me want to pee my pants (in both excitement and nervousness).

I don't think I've said it yet, but... :wave: Hi Cassandra. I'm in charge of these here forums, but it's very new to me and I'm just getting used to it. I love your site and I think it's awesome that we're coming together.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Y'all remember Darian Robbins from way back? He had some stellar fanart of a piggy and some other stuff that the original Pweb team used/posted, if I'm not confusing my artists.

Anywho:
Hey Alea,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm definitely open to having my artwork on the Pweb site! Just let me know what you want to use or if you want me to create something! I will be happy to do it!

Let me know,

Darian
So...yes?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:59 pm

I met him at Endercon. He is a really awesome guy and artist!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Wow, yeah, a blast from the past. I remember him being more at Hatrack than Pweb, but he did make some cool logos for some of the different armies mentioned in Ender's game. I still have a t-shirt with one of them that I bought at Endercon. He went by Naledge at Hatrack.
Pweb member since 2000

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Y'all remember Darian Robbins from way back? He had some stellar fanart of a piggy and some other stuff that the original Pweb team used/posted, if I'm not confusing my artists.

Anywho:
Hey Alea,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm definitely open to having my artwork on the Pweb site! Just let me know what you want to use or if you want me to create something! I will be happy to do it!

Let me know,

Darian
So...yes?
Hey I know him too :) He asked me to put his awesome Ender's Game movie poster up on my site, so I did :) He;s pretty funny and he emails me news tips sometimes! Small Ender's Game fandom!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”