Dice-Rolling Lessons

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: Dice-Rolling Lessons

Postby Mich » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:41 am

So, instead of celebrating Thanksgiving yesterday, my family got together and played 9 hours of board games. Most of which was a 6 hour game of super-Trivial Pursuit, my brother against the rest of the family. My brother took the card sets from Genus 1-6, two Disney editions, Silver Screen, RPM, 60s, 80s, 90s, and several other versions that I can't remember. The game entailed rolling two dice. I still don't know exactly how the system worked, I just did what my brother told me. But one die determined which version you had to answer questions from. We were pretty evenly matched and it came down to both of us in the middle trying to win. And we're doing it all over again today! Aren't you jealous? :P
That sounds really amazing! I love making old favorites more interesting. I was always trying to come up with modifiers when I was little, but no one ever believed that I was keeping the rules consistent.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Today we played Scene It for a couple hours (original, Disney and TV editions) and then the super-Trivial Pursuit for hours. Once again, it came down to my brother and I tied and in the middle. We called it a tie because it was taking too long for someone to win.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Do we have a card game thread? I played a bajillion of those over Thanksgiving, but not a single one involved dice.

My aunt and uncle played Yahtzee while I was in the room (wildly inappropriate, if you ask me--that stuff should clearly be confined to the bedroom), if that counts.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Do we have a card game thread?
This has, of course, always been open to discussion about card games, and I won't admit otherwise.

Row--row.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:43 pm

In that case: Apples to Apples and Flux. I love those two. And Uno.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:08 am

Your 'specialized deck' games hardly qualify as card games.

Euchre and Whist are where it's at.

I also enjoy a strange six player variant of Pedro for which I can never remember all the rules.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:16 am

Hand and foot, people, hand a foot. No better card game out there. Though Egyptian rat race comes close.

My family tends to play games with a Rook deck. I know that's technically a specialized deck, but I think they count.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 am

I haven't played Hand and Foot in years, but we used to play it all the time. We mostly play Clabber, which is kinda like Euchre only better.
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 am

Hand and Foot is my family's go-to game for camping, reunions, Christmas... any time there are enough decks of cards and more than two people, although we've even come up with decent rules for only two people. I find it a very enjoyable game, but I enjoy games with a heck of a lot of rules.

I'm assuming Egyptian Rat Race is also Egyptian Slaps/Egyptian Rat Screw/Egyptian Rat Pile? It has so many dumb names. But it's where each face card has a value that the next person needs to pump out of their deck, unless they produce a face card during that time, in which case the counter resets and the next person goes, right? With the slapping on the doubles?

Man, summing up card game rules in a written sentence is hard.

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 am

Yup. That's the one. I never know which name I should call it by so people will know what I'm talking about. We like to add on the slapping of sandwiches and other random card combos. We like to slap. =]

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 am

So, instead of celebrating Thanksgiving yesterday, my family got together and played 9 hours of board games. Most of which was a 6 hour game of super-Trivial Pursuit, my brother against the rest of the family. My brother took the card sets from Genus 1-6, two Disney editions, Silver Screen, RPM, 60s, 80s, 90s, and several other versions that I can't remember. The game entailed rolling two dice. I still don't know exactly how the system worked, I just did what my brother told me. But one die determined which version you had to answer questions from. We were pretty evenly matched and it came down to both of us in the middle trying to win. And we're doing it all over again today! Aren't you jealous? :P

I missed this when you posted it the first time! I'm totally jealous. I wish I could find people (besides my husband) to play trivial pursuit games with! There are pub trivia nights around here, but we can never seem to get a sitter when they're going on. :(
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 am

I would love to play trivial pursuit with you guys!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

Cribbage, whist, and 500 are our family get-together games. Oh my gosh. It's so fun. The entire extended family is quite competitive. And, also, we sit there after hands and recall former games where similar things have happened, kind of like major sports fans recalling previous games they've seen. My grandpa loved it so much. Oh my gosh. He'd "cheat" at cribbage, but would do it in such a way that his grandkids always caught him. Which isn't a bad teaching tool, come to that. There's a certain family language, too. "Bid 'em high, sleep in the streets." "Deucer, deucer, never loser," "hand like a foot," "a card laid is a card played," "Who dealt this mess?" -- which is considered particularly amusing when the dealer says it -- and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Donny and I sometimes play cribbage together. (Whist and 500 require four players.) It was one of his initial attractions, that he knows how. He's pretty damn good at it, actually, which annoys me :stoned:
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:13 pm

We like to add on the slapping of sandwiches and other random card combos. We like to slap. =]
By the time I was done with my Boy Scout troop, we had so many house rules it was ridiculous. Sandwiches, double-slaps, slap-piles. All kinds of stuff. I once slap-inned to a game with one guy holding all but three cards and managed to win.

Slap-ins. Those make you feel like a boss.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 am

Sheepshead! Oh man, sheepshead/sheephead (or one person told me he knew it as "shaska", but I've never seen that anywhere else) is the most fun I've ever had with a card game, second possibly only to Mao. I've never gotten people to play sheepshead often enough to be any good at it (or know anybody that's good at it), but that probably just makes it more fun, I think. I've never played another game with the "secret partner"-like element to it, that I remember. It's like a murder mystery!
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:13 am

I grew up playing Nerts. but nobody knows that game so I can't play it with anybody now.

It's like a multiplayer fast paced solitare. We always played in teams, with either two or three teams playing. It's fun.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:15 am

Oh man, I love Nerts! We called it Oh Heck, but it is super-fun, especially with a large group, like six or seven people. Two-player Hand and Foot can end up being a lot like Nerts, actually.

Row--row.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 am

finally someone who knows what I'm talking about. I mention Nerts to anybody around here and they think I'm insane. It's all sheepshead sheepshead sheepshead in Milwaukee.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Nerts is way fun, and may be on par with blue shells in making me want to use profanity. We often play it as a method of determining order of play in the next game.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Oh man. Oh man. I was walking through DC today and stumbled on this game store. It's nerdvana. I've always wanted to get into gaming but have never had a group to do it with. But I'm proud to announce that this Wednesday I will be attending their weekly D&D mini-campaign. And then I will buy Munchkin. And then I will buy ALL THE GAMES.

Though I do love Risk, and Stratego, and Mastermind. Apples to Apples is the official party game of my apartment, as well.

As for cardgames, does anyone here know Spite and Malice?
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:39 pm

For me, the only non-classical boardgame I've been playing with any regularity is Arkham Horror, the extremely complicated boardgame based on the Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos. All of my friends love it and we have had some truly awesome nights.
[delurk]

I love Arkham, it's what got me really involved in board games a few years ago, and I still play it regularly. In the gaming group I'm part of, there are at least 4 sets, most of them with all the expansions (and one of them with the official figurines to replace the cardboard character markers, and every encounter/mythos card sleeved). About once every 6 months, we host "Arkham and Pie" - everyone brings a pie or other edible, and we play Arkham for hours on end, with 3 or 4 games going at once.

I just picked up a set for myself so I can share it with the family when I go home for Christmas :D

Other favorites of mine are Bang! (Mafia game meets spaghetti western), Cosmic Encounter, and of course, Catan.

I've also been involved in some tabletop RPG's, most recently an epic 3-year campaign of D&D 3.5, starting at level 1 and going all the way to 20. The DM is a great storyteller, and the campaign was very heavily plotted with good characters. It's much more fun than a simple dungeon-crawl type game; if I wanted to do that, I could just play a video game.

For those of you who don't know much about games but want to get involved, find a local game store, and just go in and chat with somoene who works there. I've never met a gamer who didn't love teaching new people to play, and the shops often serve as a meeting place for gaming groups, who are always happy to have new members.

[/delurk]
Last edited by wizzard on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:47 pm

As for cardgames, does anyone here know Spite and Malice?
Friends of ours were just telling us about this but we have yet to play it.

We also really want to order a board game called Pandemic. Instead of playing against each other, the players team up to play against the board (the virus) to try and defeat it. I have heard really good things about it.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:35 pm

No. Way.

I have a mild (read: outrageous) interest (read: addiction) to anything about pandemics. I will purchase this game.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:37 pm

O my goodness. I need that game. Adding to the Christmas list now.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:00 pm

We are waiting until we move into the new house to buy it, so it will be one less thing to move. So, if you guys get it first let me know what you think. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama

Postby steph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Pandemic is FUN! Brian loves it. We've played it with some friends, so we don't own it ourselves. Each player has a different advantage, so there is strategy about who to send where and for what. I'd definitely recommend the game.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm

I have PIT on my christmas list. It's another game we played growing up, and my brother got it and we played with his family recently. It's a good game.

Never heard of Pandemic, though it sounds interesting.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Guys, you're overlooking an important fact:

OMG OMG OMG WIZZARD DELURKED TO POST IN A THREAD AND EVEN TO RESPOND TO SOMETHING I WROTE.

Sound the trumpets. Alert the press. It's Wizzard!

Row--row.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Guys, you're overlooking an important fact:

OMG OMG OMG WIZZARD DELURKED TO POST IN A THREAD AND EVEN TO RESPOND TO SOMETHING I WROTE.

Sound the trumpets. Alert the press. It's Wizzard!
OMG! LIMEADE FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
:limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid: :limeaid:

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:29 am

Wizzard!!! Come back, we miss you!!

Hey, is anybody else interested in a Pweb Mafia game like we used to do? I would be willing to moderate if we have enough interest.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey, is anybody else interested in a Pweb Mafia game like we used to do? I would be willing to moderate if we have enough interest.
Yes!

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 pm

f***. Yes.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Mafia game?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Pweb mafia: because, damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Should I make a new thread? Should be in the game room? Because I can't remember the last time I went in there, so I doubt many people would see it...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”