Dice-Rolling Lessons

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Dice-Rolling Lessons

Postby Luet » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:50 pm

I think it should be a new thread in the game room. You can link to it here so people know to go check it out. Maybe this will get more traffic over to the game room!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Okay, made a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:50 pm

I purchased and played Arkham Horror for the first time last night. I feel I probably should have put enough space between those two events to fully comprehend the rules. I'm sure what we played was but a mere mockery of the game's full potential.
[Cross-post from Konami Code thread]

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss. Did you guys enjoy it?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 am

[Cross-post from Konami Code thread]

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss. Did you guys enjoy it?
Derp. Posted in the wrong game thread...

It really wasn't an ideal setting for the game. I picked it up on a whim at Barnes & Noble (noting that I'd probably save $20 buying it online, but not really caring for some reason) just before 10:00pm, then insisted we play it that evening despite none of us having played before. It was a halting, bleary eyed journey, fraught with endless rule checks and misinterpretations that lasted until 4:30am. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but not so bad that we won't try again when we're a bit more awake and have fully read and comprehended the rule book.

Bits in the back of the manual that didn't come into consideration because we didn't read that far:
- Monster Limit, and by association, the Outskirts. Never even considered what that spot on the board might be for.
- Shop closings. Thanks mostly to the above mistake, the terror level never even made it to three, but if it had, nothing would have happened. Not that any of us ever managed to figure out how to get money to spend in shops...
- Monster movement types. I read this bit, then promptly forgot about it. All monsters just moved normally throughout the game.
- Horror checks. I also read this, then forgot about them at the beginning of every single battle.
- Physical/Magical Immunity.
- Gate closings removing monsters with matching shapes.

There were a few other odds and ends I've forgotten... Eh.

We're going to play again on Thursday, with all the rules properly understood and in place. We shall see how we really feel about the game after that.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Arkham Horror question: Do players typically role play their characters?
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Arkham Horror question: Do players typically role play their characters?
Haha, it really depends on the character and person. Our first game was more laughing at imagining our characters in the ridiculous situations we put them in.

Example: I got the college girl, who is shown to be kind of bookish, wearing a nice skirt, etc. The second turn of the game I got thrown into another world when a gate opened on me, had to pass a bunch of dangerous skill checks in the gate, and finally emerged a few turns later (after spending, what, three turns in the other world due to being disoriented from the gate opening on me?)--right into a Maniac who spawned that turn.

I killed that Maniac. With a kitchen knife as my weapon. And then I took the monster trophy.

So imagine, a girl with her hair in a bun, glasses perched on her nose, carefully pressed blouse and skirt, only now completely disheveled, covered in mud and ectoplasm and blood, and with the head of a maniac hanging from her waist.

We laughed well into the night, and I imagine she would be pretty crazed after those circumstances.

Beyond that instance? Not too many times. Meta-gaming is too important, because otherwise you'll lose the game. Although it always kills my inner roleplayer whenever I realize the game is based off of a "normal" tabletop RPG. "But how would I know about terror levels?"

Row--row.

darth_ender
Launchie
Launchie

Postby darth_ender » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 pm

I'd like to necro this thread in order to share my excitement over a game I played this weekend. Risk II is my attempt to take the Same Time Risk game from the PC game RISK II and adapt it for the board. You can read about it in the links at the end of this post, and from there you can probably find everything I've been posting on the subject at boardgamgegeek.com. I played a game of Risk II on Saturday and wanted to report on it. Here is a picture of the board for reference when discussing additional territories:

This is very much the game Risk, but it is played simultaneously, and in my opinion is a far superior game. Read my report on the most recent game, and again, I encourage you to check out the links.

Copied from my report on boardgamegeek.com with minor changes:
I was able to play another game of RISK II this weekend, and this time to completion. Present was my trustworthy friend Derek, who has joined every game I've played, as well as two of my nephews, Max and Phil, who love classic Risk, but had never before played a simultaneous game. Playing to 60%, the players needed a mere 28 territories of the full 48 in order to win. Even at this early cutoff, the game was already in the winner's hands before we were done before turn 3. We made it through 5 in all.

In the beginning, I was granted a rather unfair advantage. We simply distributed the cards, which left me with a surprisingly good position--I had about half of Europe and several connected territories that also led into Asia (remember, in this version connected empires also grant additional armies). The result was a significant army bonus of 7 per turn while everyone else only got 4. Derek and I admittedly had a casual relationship--we hardly had any adjacent territories and couldn't really help each other out much. On the other hand, my nephews joined forces in an inseparable bond and were determined to attack me from Asia. They did not do much to prevent a European conquest in spite of owning a few of the territories between the two of them. Phil had the best shot of preventing me from gaining the whole continent, but he also had ambitions for N. America and clashed with Derek. Between the silly Asian assault and the N. American campaign, he did not have enough forces present in Europe to defend against me, and I had all of Europe by the end of the first turn.

Turn 2 I played rather cautiously. My nephews continued to trip over each other as their territories were interspersed. Rather than consolidating a continent and separating their territories so they had clearly discernible empires, they were weakened by trying to avoid conquering each others' "throwaway" territories. Max had sizable forces in both India and Siam, and Phil had a big army in Ural and China. I was somewhat nervous that they could break through my forces and remove my European bonus. They took out most of my useless Asian territories, but I succeeded in repelling them and gained Afghanistan and India. Meanwhile, Max also slowly tried to gain Australia and Phil and Derek were going back in forth in North American and extended their battle into the South. Derek clearly had the upper hand, as his forces were far more concentrated there, but he had quite a time eradicating Phil.

By turn 3 I broke through both nephews' defenses and had them both on the run. Derek had been true to his word in spite of a couple of times where I'd been a tad more vulnerable to a backstab. I managed to take out Max's backup line in Siam and continued to spread throughout Asia. Derek tried to help me a bit by attacking Japan through Hawaii, but he couldn't really do much near to home. Max pressed into S. America from New Zealand to help out his brother; the Americas remained unattainable and still no one else had gained a single continent other than myself.

Turn 4 I invaded Africa, which had largely been left alone. I nearly gained the whole of Asia, and I continued my policy of slowly building up in Iceland and Svalbard for a potential N. American invasion (to ensure Derek couldn't get too big...again, only if necessary). Max finally had Australia, but Phil literally had only two territories remaining in N. America by the end of the turn. I had played a rather cautious turn because while I had large forces on all fronts, Derek and I kept our mutually respectful truce and didn't attack him on any front (by this time, most of my front lines were now facing Derek's men).

Turn 5 was the final slammer. I had to turn on Derek, but we also swallowed up my nephews. Phil was crushed in N. America and Max forced out of the South. Derek owned both continents, minus one key territory: Greenland. You see, Greenland was Phil's last stand, and while Derek attacked him there from Oiktaluk, I did too from both Iceland and Svalbard, denying Derek the potential (though never enjoyed) continental bonus and securing a powerful foothold in the continent, as well as gaining Phil's card (yes, he cashed in, though he couldn't use most of his bonus troops due to Risk II's reinforcement restrictions). I completed my Asia conquest and would have appreciated that massive boost to my forces had another turn come around. I also pushed Max and Derek's troops out of Africa, thus gaining that continent with minimal effort. I invaded Australia through Siam while Derek invaded from Argentina, and we completely annihilated Max, except for his holding in New Guinea.

The number of territories I held at the end was 28, the exact minimum for victory. My holding of three continents while Derek only had one and my superior numbers on all fronts guaranteed an ultimate victory, even if Derek put up a reasonable resistance. We decided to call it quits, justifying it by the number of territories held.

In spite of the overwhelming victory, it was a bit depressing winning so overwhelmingly. As I said, the game was in the winner's hand early on, and the last two turns were more of boring mop up action than fun (especially for my poor nephews, who were both messing around on their phones for much of the time while Derek and I pondered placement and moves). Still, I'm always glad to win, and the boys said they wanted to play me again while they're still in town. I hope we get to. I'll keep you all posted.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... -ii-fan-ad.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/588 ... me-risk-re.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/724024/another-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Man, that's pretty awesome. I'm by no means a Risk fanatic, but it's a fun game, and this sounds just kind of crazy. So I can't tell if you came up with it or what, since you said it's "your" attempt to adapt it. If you did: double-awesome points! So about how long did it take for the entire game to be played?

Row--row.

darth_ender
Launchie
Launchie

Postby darth_ender » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_II#Same_Time_Risk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The simultaneous game was originally designed for the PC, but never actually played on the board. I prefer real players and a real board, so I was determined to take what was seemingly complex, and translated it to the board anyway...and it really worked!!! Though many have download my rules (I expanded and clarified the woefully inadequate rules on the original CD), I don't know how many have actually played the way I have. The board is different, the dice are different, and most importantly, the moves are completed simultaneously. It works very well, and yes, I adapted it.

Our last game took about 3 hours, from 8:30-11:30. It really wasn't too bad, especially considering two of the guys were new. It took five turns to conquer 60% of the world, which is usually a good goal since usually by that point the winner is very clear and usually unstoppable.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Catan is the go to board game of my circle of friends.
I just learned how to play this and stayed up until something like 1AM doing it. I lost (but I guess I did okay for my first time, coming in dead last with 6VPs :P ) but still had a great time once I figured out what I was doing.

I got excited about playing it next time I'm down in zero-land but was informed I now have to learn Puerto Rico or some such game. Boo.

Oh, and euchre was played, as well. I still suck monkeys at euchre but zero and I won, thanks almost entirely to his skill and my dumb luck.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:16 am

My friend has a Catan playlist. I can't remember exactly how it went, but the obvious one is "We Built This City".

We built this city
We built this city on rock and wheat
Built this city
(and so on)

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 pm

I won my first game of Catan when I didn't know what I was doing. Then when I figured it out I started strategizing and haven't won since.

Also, Clabber > Euchre.
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”