VOTE BRAIN 2011

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

VOTE BRAIN 2011

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:14 am

Gentlemen and gentlewomen, friends and constituents!

I urge you to vote for me, Mr. Thebrain for Mod this coming election!

Now, I know that some others running for Mod this season are popular. Sure, they may even be your friends. But people, I urge you to look at my record. I'm loyal to the site and the hardworking people here: I've been here practically from the beginning. And I'm here, day in and day out working tirelessly to make this site an enjoyable and safe place for your children to play! I am an even tempered man of common and uncommon sense. And I have had mod experience in the past on another forum. I am what this forum needs!

So when you go to the polls this season think of me and what I can do for you, and make the sensible choice. Vote for Brain: do it for the children!

:thumbs: *insert a baby kissing smiley*
Ubernaustrum

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Re: VOTE BRAIN 2011

Postby Satya » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:38 am

So..

This is kinda the way I figured it would go. This ain't my first rodeo... er, election. But I don't really have the desire to do the whole campaign thing. I just wanted to be in it to make a few points. There is such a small pool of voters for this that every single one is actually pretty important. I can't even give my vote to myself. I expect none. So vote for the person who will act with objectivity in matters of forum moderation - not necessarily who is most active, who is well known, who you think acts the part currently. The moderator is just another member of this community - with the added responsibility of maintaining forum decorum and so on. You only put on the hat when absolutely necessary in my opinion. They're all qualified candidates; any one would handle it well, I'm sure. Maybe this only applies to me since of this pool of voters and candidates I probably have the most experience on the other end of moderator authority, but bear in mind that, as with any election, you are choosing to give another individual authority of yourself and your community. Approach it from that perspective.

And let's get it over with relatively quickly.

:stamp:
Discord ID: AJ#0001

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 am

I was feeling playful is all. Thought it might get a chuckle. Otherwise I agree with your points completely.
Ubernaustrum

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:26 am

So..

This is kinda the way I figured it would go. This ain't my first rodeo... er, election. But I don't really have the desire to do the whole campaign thing. I just wanted to be in it to make a few points. There is such a small pool of voters for this that every single one is actually pretty important. I can't even give my vote to myself. I expect none. So vote for the person who will act with objectivity in matters of forum moderation - not necessarily who is most active, who is well known, who you think acts the part currently. The moderator is just another member of this community - with the added responsibility of maintaining forum decorum and so on. You only put on the hat when absolutely necessary in my opinion. They're all qualified candidates; any one would handle it well, I'm sure. Maybe this only applies to me since of this pool of voters and candidates I probably have the most experience on the other end of moderator authority, but bear in mind that, as with any election, you are choosing to give another individual authority of yourself and your community. Approach it from that perspective.

And let's get it over with relatively quickly.

:stamp:
Satya, I can't continue to be scared of you if you insist on being all reasonable, posting things I agree with, and having a cute and cuddly avatar and everything.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:39 am

I'll be the first to admit I probably take this all a little too seriously, so I'll start by saying I absolutely got the point of both the threads that were started, had a very good laugh at both, and thought it was great to have humor injected into this whole process.

But THIS:
vote for the person who will act with objectivity in matters of forum moderation - not necessarily who is most active, who is well known, who you think acts the part currently. The moderator is just another member of this community - with the added responsibility of maintaining forum decorum and so on. You only put on the hat when absolutely necessary in my opinion....bear in mind that, as with any election, you are choosing to give another individual authority of yourself and your community. Approach it from that perspective.
My request to the nominated folks, since one of you will be chosen, is this: Please respect the board enough to admit to us when life away from Pweb becomes pressing enough that you can no longer perform the duties.

We have a history of mods disappearing for long stretches of time (or entirely) and being unwilling to step down (temporarily or otherwise) when this happens is a big loss of confidence for me. I respect the honesty it takes to say "I can't do this right now." The remaining mod(s) deserve active help.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Satya, I can't continue to be scared of you if you insist on being all reasonable, posting things I agree with, and having a cute and cuddly avatar and everything.
I appreciate that. Although no one should have been scared of me in the first place. I was all thunder and no lightning. I'm perfectly harmless.

Mostly.
I'll be the first to admit I probably take this all a little too seriously, so I'll start by saying I absolutely got the point of both the threads that were started, had a very good laugh at both, and thought it was great to have humor injected into this whole process.

But THIS:
vote for the person who will act with objectivity in matters of forum moderation - not necessarily who is most active, who is well known, who you think acts the part currently. The moderator is just another member of this community - with the added responsibility of maintaining forum decorum and so on. You only put on the hat when absolutely necessary in my opinion....bear in mind that, as with any election, you are choosing to give another individual authority of yourself and your community. Approach it from that perspective.
My request to the nominated folks, since one of you will be chosen, is this: Please respect the board enough to admit to us when life away from Pweb becomes pressing enough that you can no longer perform the duties.

We have a history of mods disappearing for long stretches of time (or entirely) and being unwilling to step down (temporarily or otherwise) when this happens is a big loss of confidence for me. I respect the honesty it takes to say "I can't do this right now." The remaining mod(s) deserve active help.
This was also something I forgot to touch on... Accepting the fact that mods come and go on forums. I know there's a certain nostalgia in having the old standbys in the role, but it's not necessarily good for the community. And also that life happens; this place may be a big part of it for some, but it is only a part. It can be problematic both ways - if it becomes something you feel too deep into, it is harder to fulfill those responsibilities objectively and detachedly (not a real word as far as I know, but an important concept.) You have to be able to separate Pweb as a place you've been for so long and love and have so many memories of, and from seeing it as a third-person apart from your emotional attachment. And it can be problematic if you don't feel deep enough, and therefore can't give it to the time it needs (although this may also happen simply due to, well, life.)

Aaaaand Brain's campaign thread is successfully derailed. (But for a good cause.)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:20 am

and having a goofy-lookin' and inbred avatar and everything.
Fix'd. :)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:38 am

and having a goofy-lookin' and inbred avatar and everything.
Fix'd. :)
Bestpony would like a word with you. (nsfw for language)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:57 pm

http://i.imgur.com/tq3Qt.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh no this is becoming an imageboard thread
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw