The Musicals Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

The Musicals Thread

Postby Taalcon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:48 pm

I did a search for some sort of similar thread, and couldn't find it. So if there's some sort of long-running thread a long-time-absentee is simply ignorant of, please except my apology, shame, and guilt.

Otherwise:

Here's a thread to share your experience with musicals.
Those you have listened to (and please let us know which version, if there are multiple)
Those you have seen, those you wish you have seen, and those you wish you hadn't seen or listened to. And which versions (stage, film adaptation, etc).
Also, any prior (or later) relationship or reaction to any of the musical's original source material, if there is any.

I'll start off with the one I saw last night: Wicked.
I saw it at the Fox Theater in Atlanta.

I'd listened to the original cast recording album before, years ago, and really enjoyed the music - but at times was somewhat lost in regards to the story. I made some assumptions, and had a general idea of the story worked out in my mind.

I never ended up reading the original novel.

So I saw it performed last night, and my world was somewhat rocked. I was afraid that by having listened to the album, I'd have somewhat spoiled any surprises. Well, I was wrong. I was surprised, fascinated, corrected, and highly impressed at the full story and experience. I found it to be far more thought provoking than just the (very) enjoyable music had let on. Funny, outstanding performances, and some great insights on the nature of perspective.

I just wish I had been sitting a little more center than far off to the front-left. The speakers at times drowned out the vocal performances.

ENJOYMENT RATINGS:

Source Material: [No Experience]
Original Cast Recording: * * * *
Stage Production [Atlanta]: * * * * * *

(The star system is flexible. If you enjoyed something 10 stars worth, go for it. I expect the cap to grow and shrink - and to perhaps change and be replaced by other things- as the discussion continues.

So:

What are some of your musical experiences?

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Re: The Musicals Thread

Postby Claire » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I love musicals! My favorite is Les Miserables. The first time I heard the music I was probably about 9 years old-- some of my bunkmates at camp had the music and would sing along to it all the time, so much so that I knew about half the songs by heart before I ever saw it live. When I got home from camp at the end of the summer, I BEGGED my parents to take me to see it on Broadway. Since then, I have seen it multiple times on Broadway, once in London, and several school/camp productions. It hasn't lost any of its appeal. I often listen to the soundtrack when I jog, because I know all of the lyrics so well I can just lose myself in them. The ending can still make me cry.

On the other end of the spectrum, everyone else seems to like Spring Awakening-- I HATED it!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Brian and I went on a quadruple date earlier this month with all the men in the family and their wives to see Les Mis. Last time I saw it, I was in high school. The show has been redesigned for the 25th anniversary and it is STUNNINGLY beautiful. We saw an understudy for Val Jean, and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to see his performance. There was some serious chemistry between the cast and the audience. I haven't seen that kind of chemistry in the theatre in YEARS. The kid who played Gavrache totally owned that stage. He was unbelievable. The show was even better since I actually finished reading the whole unabridged book before I went. It made it so much more meaningful. It was also awesome to be there with my Brothers-in-law, Father-in-law and all the wives. It was an awesome night.

25th Anniversary Touring cast in Denver with Val Jean understudy: *****

We planning on trying to do the quadruple date again in April to see Wicked. I'm going to take Brian anyway, since he's never seen it, but I hope we can make it work with the fam!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Les Mis is coming to the Fox in April. I've never seen any stage production of it, although I've listened to many different cast albums. I'm ecstatic about the revised version. I'm begging everyone I know to commit to it now so we can order early group tickets, and get good seats.

I'll say more about Les Mis and my experiences later, but as it stands, I consider it one of the most powerful stories ever written. In any medium.

Ever.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:41 pm

You MUST go. And everyone you know.

And I agree. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Awesome idea for a thread, Taal.

I've seen a lot of musicals in my time, mostly highly quality high school productions, but a good amount of others. Probably my favorite play musical ever is Into the Woods. The discussions of tropes, subversions, quality songs, and ability to be both a parody and still have a moral makes it most excellent.

Will be watching this thread with more interest. I love hearing people talk about musicals.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 pm

I will say my first experience with a stage musical was a high school production of The Sound of Music, where I performed in the pit orchestra (French Horn). The most memorable part of that experience was a notebook the pit passed around making MST3K style comments throughout the rehearsals and productions. We did some bets, like "Number of times the nuns go off key", "Number of times Gretl flubs her lines", "Number of times Max trips", etc. It was a blast.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Probably my favorite play musical ever is Into the Woods.
I sort of hate to ask it, but do you have a basket?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I sort of hate to ask it, but do you have a basket?
I have the Broadway original cast soundtrack. "No One is Alone" is really the only one listening to from the recording, and "Agony" loses so much when it's not performed.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Secret Kelly Trivia: I entered college as a theatre major.

LOVE musicals.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Secret Kelly Trivia: I entered college as a theatre major.

LOVE musicals.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Tom Hooper, who directed King's Speech, will next be directing the film version of Les Mis.

my favorite musical is probably a Disney film, Beauty and the Beast, or the one I saw last night, The Lion King. However Lion King is barely a musical with three songs sung by the cast (The rest is overlay music).

Favorite live action musical probably swings between Singin in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or The Golddiggers of 1933

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnpv1qXMnaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:11 pm

However Lion King is barely a musical with three songs sung by the cast (The rest is overlay music).
Let me guess: "Circle of Life", "Be Prepared", and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"? I've never seen it, but those are my guesses.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:22 pm

you are 33% correct.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:23 pm

However Lion King is barely a musical with three songs sung by the cast (The rest is overlay music).
Let me guess: "Circle of Life", "Be Prepared", and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"? I've never seen it, but those are my guesses.
Circle of Life would be an overlay song. Try "I Just Can't Wait To Be King". And "Hakuna Matata". And, if you consider the 'extended version' legit, then perhaps "Morning Report" as well.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 am

Right, right, because "Circle of Life" is a hardcore dance section, right? The "fun" songs are the ones that get sung. I would have said "Morning Report", but I figured it wasn't as likely.

Whereas I think that "Circle of Life" is semi-important, in terms of lyrical content to the story. But whatever.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:08 am

When did that change? When I saw it, back when the tour kicked off in Denver, everything was sung. At least I thought. I remember sitting in the balcony and right over to my right, Brian Love was singing in Circle of Life. Do I totally remember it incorrectly?

We're taking the kids to see Lion King in November. I am super excited. They love the movie as much as I do, so I'm excited to see them experience the live show. It's totally worth pulling Tyler out of school for. :D

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:45 am

Steph, I'm with you. When I saw The Lion King ti qualified as a full-on musical.

Love Sondheim, because, obviously. Of the musicals I've performed in, though, I have to say my favorite was Once on the Island. Or maybe The Pirates of Penzance. Or My Favorite Year.

Ok, clearly I cannot choose.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:00 am

I don't know that I've ever seen a "musical" then.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:38 am

I would love to see a real Broadway musical on stage. I almost had the chance to see Wicked on tour when I was home for my Grandma's funeral, but there wasn't enough time :( . I've watched a DVD of the live show of Into the Woods and it was amazing!

I saw a local production of Beauty and the Beast that was pretty fun, and I loved the musicals we did in High School (Oklahoma, Annie, Finnigan's Rainbow, King and I).

Mostly, though, I have just watched movie musicals. Singing in the Rain (apart from the weird bit in the middle) is awesome.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am

If we get to count musicals on tape/dvd/bluray, then I have seen several!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:07 am

Seeing Wicked in Broadway previews is one of the best theatre experiences of my life.

I love, love, love Idina Menzel, and by the time I got to see RENT on Broadway she had already left the cast. So when I heard she was starring in Wicked I convinced my friend, Chris, to meet me in New York City (we were in college at the time, I was at Ithaca, he was at Emerson) and we'd try for the lottery.

It was a weekend in early October. I woke up and drove myself to the bus station early Friday morning and rode the bus for 5 or 6 hours, listening to Into the Woods on my discman repeatedly. I think I was 19 or 20? We met in New York, stayed in the village in the cheapest, creepiest, sketchiest hotel I've ever stayed in in my life, with shared bathrooms for the entire floor and ancient, ripped spring mattress. We walked everywhere because we couldn't afford subway fare, and ate two meals a day: a bagel in the morning, and a slice of pizza at night, for a whopping total of $2.50. We were in college, and we were SUPER poor (bagel and pizza prices in NYC have since inflated).

We saw a matinee of Aida ($15) and an evening performance of Gypsy starring Bernadette Peters ($20) on Saturday, after trying for the lottery Saturday morning AND afternoon and getting shafted both times. We tried again Sunday morning and were also unlucky. But we were not leaving without seeing Wicked. So we waited in line for Will Call cancelations, and we got them. 6th row, center, for $100 a piece. Chris didn't have the much cash on him OR in the bank, and while I didn't have the money on me, I did have it in the bank. Barely. I begged, begged, BEGGED the ticket seller to hold the tickets for us for 5 minutes while I ran to the ATM and emptied out my bank account. He did and I did, and that's how I got to see Wicked.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:18 am

That's a great story, Kelly!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:31 am

I saw RENT on Broadway (NYC) back in March of 2007, so not too long before it ended. I don't know about the cast and while I do have the program and could tell you, I'm too lazy at the moment to do it.

I then saw Wicked on Broadway (Chicago) in July of 2007 and once again in January of this year, but in Tucson. Same story about me not knowing the cast but having the program.

I have not seen The Last 5 Years performed live but I did watch a crappy quality video uploaded to youtube; that is now on my list of things I need to see before I die. I have a cast recording (not crappy quality) but I don't know the details on that, either.

I have the Wedding Singer cast recording (again, lousy on the details at the moment) but I haven't listened to that all the way through.

And, I watched the PBS (think it was PBS anyway) recording of Chess with Steph last year.

My musical experiences seem kind of lacking but alas.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 am

I LOVE musicals, but I've only been to see one. Will took me to see Jersey Boys one of the first times going to San Francisco with him. We ALMOST went to see Wicked (which i'm DYING to see), but didn't because we were broker then broke while it was here.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 am

I've seen Phantom on Broadway twice and Les Mis locally as a traveling broadway production (I think that's what it's called).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:49 am

Oh man, I completely forgot about seeing Spamalot a couple of years ago in Seattle! It was funny, but not one of my all time favorites.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:24 am

I have a cast recording (not crappy quality) but I don't know the details on that, either.
It's the 2002 (off broadway) cast. Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:25 am

Does Sherie Renee Scott's voice irritate anyone else on that recording? I wish Lauren Kennedy had been able to stay with the project.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:37 pm

I :love: your Wicked story, Kelly. Also, thanks for verifying that I'm not out of my mind about Lion King!

Someday, I'll make it to NY to see some shows on Broadway. Luckily, I did get to see Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp in RENT the last time the tour came through. That's as close as I've been. Oh, I guess I did see Stephanie J. Block in Wicked, and she was Elphie in the early previews, before they switched to a bigger name. Well, I guess I also did see Linda Eder in Jekyll and Hyde when it previewed in Denver before Broadway. That's all pretty close, but still no NYC.

Someday I'll have enough expendable income to go to the theatre regularly, like I did in college. For most of my theatre fixes right now, I trade massage for comp tickets to an awesome dinner theatre nearby. Productions are amazing, the theatre is beautiful and the food is actually quite delicious, since they employ a chef. The goal of this theatre was to fix everything that's wrong with dinner theatre and they did that, for sure.

Also, I was just coming on here to tell people they should check out Chess in Concert that aired on PBS. Adam Pascal, Idina Menzel, Josh Groban. I love my DVD so much. And my cast recording.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:18 pm

Steph, I too would love to get to a place in life where I can attend the threatre regularly.

The next time any of you go to New York, remind me to give you my cheap theatre tips! You can see Broadways shows for $18 by going to the theatre about 45 minutes before show time (matinees and weeknights obviously work best) and asking if any standing room only or obstructed view tickets are available. Standing room only is a blast, and the obstructed view seats often aren't very obstructed at all, and if they are, often the seats all around you will be empty. Just move over.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Does Sherie Renee Scott's voice irritate anyone else on that recording?
Confession: I very rarely listen to the full soundtrack. I usually only listen to Shiska Goddess, Moving Too Fast, and The Schmuel Song, mostly because I'm never in the mood for the full LFY experience and those are the "happy" songs.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I was referring to the orginal lion king, not the stage lion king, which I haven't seen. Can you Feel the Love Tonight and Circle of Life are not sung by the characters (not really, there's like a line-ish, each for simba and nala, but it's otherwise just soundtrack and not the characters singing).

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Oh my gosh. I feel dumb now! :bash: Sorry for the confusion I caused!!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:46 pm

I might give a more thorough review later, but for now I'm just going to list the musicals I've seen. Unfortunately, I have not seen any of them on Broadway, and I'm still mad at myself for not coughing up to see Wicked or Spamalot in London.

Professional Stage Productions:
Phantom of the Opera (two times--Salt Lake City and Vegas) I have also read the book.
Spamalot (the touring cast with Mr. Peterman in Anchorage)

High Schools/Community Theatre:
Les Mis (absolutely love the soundtrack and I will see it on stage someday)
Beauty and the Beast
West Side Story
Little Shop of Horrors (does that count as a musical?)
Grease
Footloose

I also listen to the Wicked soundtrack semi-obsessively, and have a DVD version of Oklahoma starring Hugh Jackman (best mistake my mom ever made--she meant to order the 50's version and bought Hugh instead). If we want to get into other movie versions I think my list may get excessively long.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”