Proprioception

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Proprioception

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm

A handful of times in my life I have woken up and found myself not able to move for a very brief period of time.

It's absolutely terrifying.

I actually opened up this New Topic dialog to write about Hank and John Green and to ask if there are any Nerdfighters among us, however I ended up watching Hank's most recent video in which he recants how this happens to him, often after lucid dreaming:

He describes part of this phenomenon as a loss of proprioception. Coincidentally, I learned the definition of proprioception four hours ago thanks to NPR which had a story on about Ian Waterman.

This is also terrifying.

"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Proprioception

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:00 pm

A handful of times in my life I have woken up and found myself not able to move for a very brief period of time.
I have also had this happen to me a handful of times in my life. I thought it was called sleep paralysis.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:21 pm

I have also had this happen to me a handful of times in my life. I thought it was called sleep paralysis.
Yes, it is.
Pweb member since 2000

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:15 am

Proprioception is something different. It's kind of hard to explain, but it is the sense of knowing where your body parts are relative to each other and relative to space. Like, you are able to touch your finger to your nose even with your eyes closed, for example. Not at all related to sleep paralysis.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 am

Okay, my poor wording—that is, I left out the words "sleep paralysis".

I didn't mean to imply that sleep paralysis is a loss of proprioception, but that during sleep paralysis you don't have proprioception.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 am

Gotcha.

I believe an episode of Radio Lab had a bit about the guy who lost his sense of proprioception. In general, I find Radio Lab pretty interesting. You can check it out here:

http://www.radiolab.org/2006/may/05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pweb member since 2000

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 pm

I love radio lab.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:14 pm

I believe that episode is what I heard on the radio.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, I don't really agree that sleep paralysis is at all related to proprioception.

Sleep paralysis is just literal muscle paralysis - a complete loss of body muscle tone that always happens during normal REM sleep (except for eye muscles, of course). So when you get woken up during REM, occasionally you have the associated paralysis.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm

I actually opened up this New Topic dialog to write about Hank and John Green and to ask if there are any Nerdfighters among us
Yes, there are. I saw them on their first Tour de Nerdfighting. After the event, they signed copies of their books and CDs, hung out and talked about random geeky things with a group of us, etc. Overall just really nice guys. (Katherine is also nice. I have not met the Yeti.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Well, I don't really agree that sleep paralysis is at all related to proprioception.

Sleep paralysis is just literal muscle paralysis - a complete loss of body muscle tone that always happens during normal REM sleep (except for eye muscles, of course). So when you get woken up during REM, occasionally you have the associated paralysis.
Windswept didn't say it was "related to" proprioception, but that during sleep paralysis, you don't have propioception. Never having had sleep paralysis, I don't know if that is true or not. If it's true, it would mean that during sleep paralysis you don't have a sense of where your body and limbs are. Is that the case? If, during sleep paralysis, you merely can't move but still have a sense of where your body parts are, it's not a loss of propioception.
Pweb member since 2000

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Windswept didn't say it was "related to" proprioception, but that during sleep paralysis, you don't have proprioception. Never having had sleep paralysis, I don't know if that is true or not. If it's true, it would mean that during sleep paralysis you don't have a sense of where your body and limbs are. Is that the case? If, during sleep paralysis, you merely can't move but still have a sense of where your body parts are, it's not a loss of proprioception.
Pweb member since 2000

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 am

If, during sleep paralysis, you merely can't move but still have a sense of where your body parts are, it's not a loss of proprioception.
The times I've experienced it, I would say that I still had a sense of where my body parts were. I tried to scream but couldn't, I tried to move my arms and legs but couldn't, etc.
Last edited by Luet on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

How come proprioception is spelled wrong in your quote of my post but spelled correctly in my original post? :P

Weirdness!
Pweb member since 2000

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:55 pm

I have no idea but I fixed it!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”