Saddam's verdict good or bad?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Death Penalty for Saddam?

Finish him!
52%
Let him live.
10%
Meh, who cares.
19%
Can't decide.
10%
I smell toast. Who wants toast? oooo a tree that needs hugging!
10%

Total votes: 21

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Saddam's verdict good or bad?

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:07 am

So he's to die. Personally I don't care that much. I'm against the death penalty and all... but it's Saddam. Then again, yeah he's a bad dude, but do I really even care about that? I'm just glad it's not the U.S. doing the killing or the verdicting. (Yes, I just made up a word.)

What do you all think do the crimes fit the punishment? Is the death penalty inherently wrong? Does taking a human life make up for other people’s deaths?
Ubernaustrum

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Re: Saddam's verdict good or bad?

Postby eriador » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:15 am

'm just glad it's not the U.S. doing the killing or the verdicting.
*snorts*

I propose the addition of a "manipulating the election" choice.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:19 am

dude, such a given, what's the point of adding it? not to mention it's not the point of the thread.
Ubernaustrum

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:21 am

then ask about the death penalty in general. Saddam's case is soooo tied up in politics I don't know what to think except for the political motives involved.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:26 am

you're making this much more difficult than it has to be. do you want the dude to die, or do you not want the dude to die? do you care? do you smell toast and want to hug trees? f*** the politics. is the death penalty a good thing or bad thing in this instance?
Ubernaustrum

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 am

It's good to see execution methods getting back to their roots.

Now if only they would bring back being drawn and quartered.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 am

Let me say i am against death penalty.
But Saddam's execution won't be justice as much as it is a political necessity. And it is plenty of justice. I mean, most of the people who are justly sentenced to death did way less than he did.
But it is a political necessity in order to avoid that he could be freed and lead, or used as head of, a revolution or a pustch.

Death penalty is wrong. But still, i consider that there are some situations were it cannot really be avoided. Serial killers would be one such case. Militars who can perform coup-de-etats. Death penalty not as a deterrent, but as the only way to put an end to the threat a person represents.

Furthermore, Saddam was also a politician. So, what could you expect of him? As soon as a person steps into politics, becomes inherently evil. And he was into politics since his youth.

Edit: Jebus, i agree with you... but i find amiss a good old-fashioned stoning. Or what about the "die-by-fire"? Still i think there is nothing better than a guy with a black hood wielding an axe.
Last edited by jotabe on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:35 am

I refuse to vote, the choices are not sufficent to sum up my feelings. I don't agree with any of those choices.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:47 am

as is your choice.
Ubernaustrum

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 am

Let me say i am against death penalty.
But Saddam's execution won't be justice as much as it is a political necessity. And it is plenty of justice. I mean, most of the people who are justly sentenced to death did way less than he did.
But it is a political necessity in order to avoid that he could be freed and lead, or used as head of, a revolution or a pustch.

Death penalty is wrong. But still, i consider that there are some situations were it cannot really be avoided. Serial killers would be one such case. Militars who can perform coup-de-etats. Death penalty not as a deterrent, but as the only way to put an end to the threat a person represents.

Furthermore, Saddam was also a politician. So, what could you expect of him? As soon as a person steps into politics, becomes inherently evil. And he was into politics since his youth.
It's good to have Jota back to sum up my feelings for me. But I still don't entirely agree. For all the reasons you've stated I think he needs to be killed, but I don't think he should be killed.

That's my little self-contradictory opinion.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Personally, I am all for the death penalty and I am all for taking out Saddam. That being said, I would prefer it not to actually happen because I think that the very idea of having these lawsuits is a farce and a total waste of money which make the legal system and everyone connected to it look more asinine than they already do. So to properly punish the fools for this farce, he should be found innocent on a technicality and then be taken out by a friendly, neighborhood Mossad hit-team.

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:39 pm

Just imagine what message that would send to the global community.

Personally, I am undecided about the death penalty but it was kind of expected for Saddam. But a hanging? World's greatest known dictator (well maybe not really) get's hung? Couldn't they come up with something a little more sensational?

But that is hugely besides the point.
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:03 pm

"Crimes against humanity" seem to be the one instance in which the death penalty is warranted, in my opinion. I mean, they are crimes against humanity, people. Humanity. Goodness....

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:10 pm

so the death penalty is wrong and crimes against humanity are wrong.

so in this case two wrongs make a right?
Ubernaustrum

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:12 pm

Ollie did not say that the death penalty is wrong. As a matter of fact, he said it is right, but only in the instance where it is applied to a person who has committed crimes against humanity.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm for it, but then again, I'm just vengeful like that.

If it ever happens. Has it made it through appeals court/commitee yet?

I think that the very idea of having these lawsuits is a farce and a total waste of money which make the legal system and everyone connected to it look more asinine than they already do.

There speaks the law student.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:32 am

Isn't almost every crime, when you get to the nub of it, against humanity?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:59 am

Isn't almost every crime, when you get to the nub of it, against humanity?
Except drug use. Any other crime is a violation of a person(s) rights.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:20 am

humanity is overrated :wink:

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:46 am

humanity is overrated :wink:
I can't see how that can be construed as humorous.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:12 am

Way to have a sense of humor.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

bean head
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bean head » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:20 pm

maybe it's not supposed to be humorous. humanity, as applied to the individual, can be very virtuous, indeed. some people are very righteous, very giving, kind and caring and all that stuff. step back and take a look at the larger picture, and humanity, as it can be viewed today by example, is quite degrading to the individual, generally twisted and malformed into almost sub-human proportions. we're not very nice to each other, or ourselves, as a species.....

EDIT: oh, and, if they're gonna kill saddam anyway, i think it should be something entertaining like being chased off a cliff by 50 topless women (to use monty python as example), or possibly skydiving from the edge of space without a parachute or something with a bit more bang...3 pieces of wood and a rope is boring.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:38 pm

good idea...

liquifiedrainbows
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Saddam's verdict good or bad?

Postby liquifiedrainbows » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:57 am

So he's to die. Personally I don't care that much. I'm against the death penalty and all... but it's Saddam. Then again, yeah he's a bad dude, but do I really even care about that? I'm just glad it's not the U.S. doing the killing or the verdicting. (Yes, I just made up a word.)

What do you all think do the crimes fit the punishment? Is the death penalty inherently wrong? Does taking a human life make up for other people’s deaths?
So if the government is allowed to take a life to make up for other people's deaths... then why can they tell their people that they can't?

Isn't that a little hypocritical?

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:27 am

Murder is not illegal.

Murder that is not government sanctioned is.

That is the difference.

Things are against the law because the government states that they are. The government has a monopoly on the use of force.

From a justice-based standpoint, I would imagine that there is a difference made by the the fact that executions take place after a proper trial and what seems like hundreds of appeals.

Besides, your argument can just as easily be used as a reason for why the government should not be able to imprison people. People that are imprisoned are forcibly confined in a place that theydo not choose to be in. But the government has laws against doing the same.

What about fines? When you break certain laws the government can extort money from you. If you do not pay you are forced to pay a larger amount, and eventually something unpleasant happens, such as imprisonment or garnished wages. So basically someone is forced to give up their money and if they don't do it, something bad happens to them... The government doesn't allow people to do it, but they do it themselves.

Don't try to equate what an individual can do to what the government can.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:13 am

The government has a monopoly on the use of force.
That's my line.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:17 am

That's my line.
But the first time I heard it was from a professor of mine 2 yrs ago. He uses it a lot :)

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:19 am

That's my line.
But the first time I heard it was from a professor of mine 2 yrs ago. He uses it a lot :)
Is he a Randian Capitalist?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:20 am

*thanks bean head*
It wasn't a completely serious remark, but not a completely humorous either. More like ironic.

btw... government can do many things. But even if power steams from the people... even then, such power should be limited too.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”