New and Exciting Things about this New and Exciting Board

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Re: New and Exciting Things about this New and Exciting Boar

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Yeah, wow. That's a really uncomfortable bit of knowledge.

Are they actually stored where anyone can see them/have access to them, or are they stored in such a way that only the FBI can see them, with a warrant? Or what?

ETA: By the way, can we redirect further conversation on this to Who's Chatting or New and Exciting Things or its own thread or somewhere like that, just so this doesn't turn into a huge derailment? I don't want talk about our new, safe board section to get steamrolled by chat privacy issues. And I do want to know more about the chat privacy issues.
I imagine they're stored so that you need admin access to view them. That said, strictly from a legal standpoint, it's probably in Pweb's interest not to keep those records. If you keep records as a standard practice, you generally have to keep them in good order. Given our track record with crashes, lost information, etc. (which I believe we're turning around, finally), I don't think we need that kind of responsibility. Especially because if we're ever sued (I don't know why we would be, but just as a hypothetical) and we hadn't kept them in great order, that is taken as a presumption that it contained information negative to our case. If, on the other hand, you have no regular practice of keeping such information, there's no presumption.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:54 pm

The chat logs are stored as part of the database. They are restricted so that only admin users can access them.

I made a change to the chat configuration tonight (that temporarily broke PWeb (see the Uh.. thread)) Now, chat records are kept for 1 day. This way, the Mods can review chat logs if there is a report of misconduct, but the logs will be auto deleted after 24 hours.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 pm

My apologies for freaking people out with that tidbit. Purely from the perspective of wanting to keep the website running smoothly, I'm not in favor of keeping all that data in the database indefinitely, as Phoebe was doing by default.

However, I will say that the only access to that log of data was through the database directly. It would arguably take more effort to retrieve and sift through that table than it would take to pull out someone's private message history on Pweb...
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 am

than it would take to pull out someone's private message history on Pweb...
I'm new to the whole mod thing but this concerns me. Is it really possible to look at someone's pm's? I don't like that.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:17 am

Okay guys, let's be clear on this. No one is looking at your PMs, no one is going through the chat history to see what you say. These things are possible the way all things are possible on the internet. Do you really think there are 0 records when you chat on AIM or use Google, or send a private message in Facebook? These things are not viewable by the general public, but they exist.

PS. Techs, please check the star chamber.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:09 am

For the record, I knew Chris was making a comparison for the sake of pointing out ease of access, not stating anyone was looking at PMs.

Though, I'll also state I've made a point for a few years now of not using Pweb's PM system for anything I consider really sensitive; I moved to other means for that after comments about non-emergency IP checking came out on the board...I think in 2009. I just figured abuse there might lead to more/other kinds and I'd rather not risk it. If I'm being honest. The other places I've taken the conversations may not be any safer for privacy purposes but they're at least not my friends and they don't have personal attachments to the information.
Do you really think there are 0 records when you chat on AIM or use Google, or send a private message in Facebook? These things are not viewable by the general public, but they exist.
Sure, and the FBI monitors some of my phone calls but that doesn't mean I'm cool with friends deciding to record my conversations without my consent or knowledge. Just because true privacy is dead doesn't mean we don't strive to respect the little bit that appears to be left, even if it's only the appearance. Is this an American thing or just an Alea thing?

I mean, as it is, I've been alone with a friend in chat but we've had to not talk about things that weren't bad, that were simply no one else's business, because we knew the chat auto-saved the last few lines and showed them to whoever came in next. I just wasn't aware that it extended beyond the last few lines. It seemed unnecessary and if I wanted my comments saved for posterity's sake, I'd throw them on the board itself, what with not being all that shy with you all.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 am

The other places I've taken the conversations may not be any safer for privacy purposes but they're at least not my friends and they don't have personal attachments to the information.
Yes. This is the difference with the expectation of privacy, or lack thereof, here and on facebook. The people who might have the ability to read my pm's on facebook if they really tried are complete strangers, so what would they care what I write? The people here are friends. That makes it much different. I understand that it is a difficult task to accomplish but just the fact that it is possible, is a bit disconcerting (if someone really wanted to for some reason).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

I by no means meant to imply that looking at PMs was an easy thing to do. There's no secret administrative panel that allows the Mods to snoop through your PMs. I checked.

It is not a simple process to hack a specific PM directly out of the database.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 pm

There's no secret administrative panel that allows the Mods to snoop through your PMs.
Right, right, I didn't think there was. :)
It is not a simple process to hack a specific PM directly out of the database.
I was chatting with Wil during the initial backup process about privacy, what the tech people could see (and I respected the hell out of everyone saying they weren't looking too closely in order to respect others' privacy), etc. and I got the impression it wasn't easy to tell who things were from but that it wasn't altogether difficult to see the messages themselves. Maybe I misunderstood him and honestly, I'm not actively thinking people are going to go looking anyway.

The IP checking years ago was a matter of curiosity, the mod(s) in question admitted to as much and I don't think they can't be trusted to not get curious to check PMs (did I do that correctly? Negatives throw me off). I trust my PMs are safe from the mods. It's more a matter of, I know there are going to be times it's possible to see them, even with people being careful to avoid them, so I'd rather not make myself vulnerable that way.

Chris, you poor guy. I promise, nothing you said about chat records or PMs makes me trust any of you any less than I'd trust anyone and I in fact trust you guys more than I trust most people.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 pm

but since I can't run backups without installing phpmyadmin or something like that, I'd like to work with one of the other techs to get this set up.
The initial database extraction I did just ran mysqldump from php, which seems to work fine
I put some stuff in /zeroguy/backup/ to do this. There's a sample script called pwebbackup to actually do the backup from wherever (if someone would like to grab it and make their own copies); everything else is server-side stuff. I currently have my stuff set to just backup once a week (Sunday evening) to my laptop. I may put that in a more robust place, after I think about retention and such a bit more.

This is currently not backing up the phpbb_* tables, since I believe those are for the old phpbb installation and are not being updated, correct? (The current stuff being in forum_*) I was wondering at first why the db dump was so much larger now, and... "oh hey, there's two copies of everything".

Any of the others can have their own redundant copies if we want; while the server-side stuff doesn't allow multiple backups to be done simultaneously at the moment, it will detect such and prevent it from breaking anything.

I thought about putting this in a more central-ish location, like /tech/backup/ or something, but maybe the per-person directories are better? It kinda shows who is responsible for a section of the filespace, so we don't stomp over each other's changes trying to edit something (i.e. don't modify anything in /zeroguy/ without letting me know). But I dunno. I don't consider this too long-term permanent, anyway.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:24 pm

So...I bit my tongue at the time, to make sure I really wanted to comment on this before I went ahead with it, and yes, I'm ready to lose more respect and esteem to others because this is kind of important to me.

With regards to this:
Techs, please check the star chamber.
I would like to say, in the future, please say whatever it is right here on the board, for everyone to see. Especially since it was obviously about or a result of something that upset members. Before anyone says it (what was posted in the Star Chamber) was no big deal or unimportant, or accuses me of not trusting any of the techs or mods, I'd like to say if it was no big deal or unimportant, no harm done letting the board see it, if it was important, all the more reason to let us see it, and not putting it in the open could be taken (even though it wasn't) as a lack of trust in the other direction.

I'm still of the belief, and never changed my tune on it, that everything (or damn near everything) should be transparent and if the discussion has to happen in hiding, that the pertinent information be outlined and outcome given to the board as a whole.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Sometimes questions need to be asked and things need to be sorted out within a small group before it's shown to a big one. That's just the way it has to be.

The information, in this case, was given to you immediately. It was an apology and explanation by Chris.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I disagree it "had" to be that way in this particular case but yes, yes, carry on.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Added titles to the member list for fisubice2 (default) and subsilver2 styles.
The enemy's fly is down.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:59 pm

Favicon (The icon next to the url) added to fisubice2.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:25 am

There's now a chicken beside it on my Google Chrome bookmark! :stoned:

:chicken:
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:39 am

Ha! I was wondering if anyone saw that. I used the chicken as a placeholder at first before I made a custom icon.
The enemy's fly is down.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:08 am

Everyone's titles should be migrated over to the new field now. I'll double check them and get rid of the now-redundant custom ranks tomorrow. The only downside is some people will lose a star if they're below 500 posts (though I like to think that will just give the lurkers an incentive to post more :stoned:). If it becomes an issue, we can always add a new (single instead of dozens) rank so that everyone with a title has at least three stars. I also intend to modify the sidebar so the titles are up top instead of at the bottom, but that will have to wait since it's not something I can do from work.
The enemy's fly is down.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:19 am

The old custom ranks are now gone and as a result sorting by rank on the memberlist actually (sort of) works now. I'll work on formatting the new title field in the topic sidebar and profile page when I get a chance.
The enemy's fly is down.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Am I the only one who sees a giant gap of blank space under signatures, now? (Also, I miss custom titles being plainly visible and not sort of hidden under all the other details.)

Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:19 pm

I only see the giant gap when the post itself isn't big enough to account for the info in the sidebar.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I had stars? How many stars do I have now? *posts to see*
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Am I the only one who sees a giant gap of blank space under signatures, now? (Also, I miss custom titles being plainly visible and not sort of hidden under all the other details.)
The gap has always been an issue for me but it is even bigger now, with one more thing listed. I don't want to complain but I like the old way better too.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Also, shouldn't the title be below the date first joined line? Otherwise it gets hidden amongst everything else.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 pm

I believe they were changed because with our new shiny board, we don't have to have custom usergroups for everyone's titles. On the old board, that's how we had to do it and it was clunky and awkward. Now we actually have a "title" field, so I guess we are now making use of it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:33 am

I'll work on formatting the new title field in the topic sidebar and profile page when I get a chance.
If I can get it to work the way I want it to, it will be prominently displayed right below your name.

Am I the only one who sees a giant gap of blank space under signatures, now?
Which style are you using? (I can't see your screenshot at work.) The sidebar is a little more spread out on subsilver than on fusubice. I'll try to condense it some.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:36 am

I'll work on formatting the new title field in the topic sidebar and profile page when I get a chance.
That did not make practical sense to me.
If I can get it to work the way I want it to, it will be prominently displayed right below your name.
That's more helpful. Thank you.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 am

Just saw the hate thread posts. Sorry about that, everyone. I thought I had the visibility settings right, but I guess not. Thanks for fixing it, Ali.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:22 pm

How are you all doing on making sure the board is being backed up on a regular basis? Titles are great but backups are pretty important.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:20 am

Titles should be displaying properly now in fisubice2 (directly below your name in italics and no longer further down). I'll do something with the other styles later, maybe tomorrow.
The enemy's fly is down.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:36 am

Yay!
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Sidebars for all of the styles are updated now. I'm not completely happy with subsilver2, though, and may tweak it further sometime. I'm tired of messing with it right now.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:51 am

Chris!

I don't know exactly what I'm asking for here but I'm going to ask all the same. If it's possible, maybe the mods can make a decision on what to do about it before we have anyone start spreading the word about a news page.

Is it possible to "mirror" (I think that's the term) the "thephiloticweb" URL and "philoticweb.net", so that when you go to the latter, it forwards you to the former (which has a link to the forum so people can still find that)? Or is there some way to transfer Taal's wordpress to "philoticweb.net" as the standing home page, with the forum as a branch off the "philoticweb.net" URL in either case? Make sense? Maybe not.

I think we need to have one URL only that we advertise and the hope, for me, all along was to have one, cohesive, streamlined site, not two related and similar but ultimately different ones. How can we best and most easily make everything available to people under the "philoticweb" URL?

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:23 am

It's quite possible to forward one of the URLs to the other. However, it would make the most sense to ultimately host them on the same server. The issue at hand is that the server philoticweb.net is running on can't run the current version of WordPress, thanks to some out of date software that requires either greater access from Ami to update it ourselves, or requires Ami update it for us. This brings us back to the debate over moving to a new server, which would still require action from Ami if we want to keep using philoticweb.net as the primary domain.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 am

I know we're terrible about keeping things temporary but assuming mods started hashing out a debate over what to do with regards to Ami's involvement and server issues and set a date for action -say, we give ourselves x amount of time to try whatever we want as first option (either begging Ami to update whatever or hand over whatever) and if that doesn't work, revisit moving servers on our own-...are there any major drawbacks to forwarding one to the other? I'm assuming we'd still have access to both sites if we did. What problems might there be that I'm unaware of?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”