(SFW) Let's Talk About...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

(SFW) Let's Talk About...

Postby zeroguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Boo bees. Yes, that link is actually SFW.

(For those that may not get it, those creatures are called "boo"s in Mario games. But they normally look like this.)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Do they also float in water?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:12 am

HAHAHAHAHA!

:lol:
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:17 pm

No, but they can swim.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Well, swimming is like floating with a motor/paddle for movement, right?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Re: (SFW) Let's Talk About...

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 am

*Bump*

How did we let this slide all the way to page 3?

Anyway, I heard about this on tv this morning, and thought I'd find a link so we could discuss. It's not directly related to sex, but rather attraction in general:

women do not mind overweight men as long as their wallets are fat

Also:

Gals dig fat wallet
Money trumps weight

I have my own thoughts on this which I will share later when I have time.

ETA
Um, didn't this thread used to be two pages longer, or did it get split into a SFW version and a NSFW version or something?

ETA
Ah. I answered my own question. I knew there was a dobie, but I didn't realize there were two valid versions. Or is this supposed to be a dobie too? *sigh* I give up.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:40 pm

is this supposed to be a dobie too?
*laugh* Yes. Yes, it is. But I don't see why it can't be the SFW version of the thread (that is a few pages back...).

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Anyway, my brief thoughts:

There's probably something to this. Attraction is, after all, based on evolutionary pressures when you get right down to it. Yes, of course we are all evolved human beings who aren't slaves to our primitive instincts, but they still influence us at subconscious levels. We want visually appealing mates because good looks suggests good genes and therefore strong healthy offspring. That's all well and good for males, but our females ancestors also needed to select mates who were capable of providing for them and their offspring. In the past, that meant the big, strong hunter. Today it means the successful, financially secure man.

Does this mean that every woman is a gold-digger, and every man is a sucker for a pretty face and some nice... assets? No, of course not. But it doesn't seem unreasonable to concede that humans in general, just like any other animal, are predisposed to respond to certain qualities in a potential mate.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Everything you said seems pretty obvious. :)

I think the only things I really took note of was the "formula", that they gave an example of a really thin woman given her height (shock!), and that the couples they used were apparently all white. Not that I expect the "findings" to change that much with other races but I'd be interested to see what the differences are.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:46 am

You're more fun when you disagree with me. :P
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 am

Say something stupid and I'll be happy to tell you you're wrong. :mrgreen:

Okay, seriously now, there's not much to disagree with. That hasn't been my experience but I've also never been very representative of the average anything.

I have sort of danced around/circled 5 guys in any serious, intentional way (versus fun, meaningless flirting), so my sample size isn't particularly large, I don't think. Two of those I dated.

Physically, the most fit guy (baseball player, soccer player, track runner, dabbled in football, wrestler) was poorer than dirt and while you might guess I was interested for physical reasons, I knew him since 5th grade, well before he got into that good of shape, and we did our circling starting in 8th grade, when he was still pretty awkward. It wasn't until high school that he grew into himself. But eh, he turned out to be one of the biggest a*holes ever.

The next two, who I actually dated, were much heavier than him (and me) and weren't rolling in dough. They were rather poor students. I liked them for, surprise surprise, their personalities. They genuinely made me laugh, which I hear is a bullshit quality that girls supposedly only say they want but really don't; for me, it's not some fib to sound less shallow.

Next guy was not thin and not heavy and he made more money than me but was also in considerably more debt than me. I also refused to let him pay for anything where I was involved.

So, while my experience doesn't match up, I'm pretty sure that article speaks on the general trend.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 pm

ETA
Ah. I answered my own question. I knew there was a dobie, but I didn't realize there were two valid versions. Or is this supposed to be a dobie too? *sigh* I give up.
Are you questioning the legitimacy of my thread topics? You are just so unforgivably off-topic here, neo.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Return to “Milagre Town Square”