Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:26 am

prettier colors, anyway
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Insulting my Applejack...

Attempting to deal with it...

Unable to deal...

Need influx of bestponys stat.

Ah, that's better. AJ and Rarity save the day.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Your Applejack's existence is an insult to my Applejack.

(Quite seriously, I know my inability to watch the show without squirming is more a character flaw on my part than anything about the show.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Okay, so I found out that I do have the Hub channel. I have set my DVR to record all MLP:FIM episodes. I have made a list of said episodes so that I can watch them in order, since the Hub seems to play them in a random order. Six out of the first seven are on this week but not number 3, sigh. I guess I'll watch that one online. Yay to finally catching up with the cool kids! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Okay, so I found out that I do have the Hub channel. I have set my DVR to record all MLP:FIM episodes. I have made a list of said episodes so that I can watch them in order, since the Hub seems to play them in a random order. Six out of the first seven are on this week but not number 3, sigh. I guess I'll watch that one online. Yay to finally catching up with the cool kids! :)
I would actually recommend watching 3 through 7 first, then watching 1 and 2 (the 2 part pilot), it's just there to set things up and probably won't draw you in as much. At least, that's the way it was for me.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Dog And Pony Show is one of my favorites, actually. I quite like Rarity. Applebuck Season because AJ's probably my favorite of the Mane 6. Uh... Bird in the Hoof because it's Trollestia at her trolling finest. And Fall Weather Friends and Suited for Success.
Except for the first one, I can agree with those. Applebuck Season I find a little, but certainly not bad. If you said Dog and Pony Show along with one of the cmc episodes, I just wouldn't know what to say.

I wouldn't say I disliked Dog and Pony Show just because of Rarity (though I seriously did just want to slap her why did nobody slap her just slap her aaaaa); I just cannot agree with the design for those damn dogs (and, well, the overall plot).
and anorexic
They're horses! But they may have a bit more shape when sitting up or generally vertical. (Or maybe just drawn more oddly). You're not the first person I've heard that from, actually, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around people liking how the older generations look.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:59 am

Except for the first one, I can agree with those. Applebuck Season I find a little, but certainly not bad. If you said Dog and Pony Show along with one of the cmc episodes, I just wouldn't know what to say.

I wouldn't say I disliked Dog and Pony Show just because of Rarity (though I seriously did just want to slap her why did nobody slap her just slap her aaaaa); I just cannot agree with the design for those damn dogs (and, well, the overall plot).
The dogs, yes. They could have been so much cooler.

I'd estimate... about 20% cooler.
and anorexic
I've never really gotten that... Compared to the Gen1 of MLP, yeah. But in an objective sense, not at all.

Oh, and I think I just had the greatest review line of all time for that fic:
"I feel like someone punched me in the soul."

It's so easy to punch someone in the face. Knowing that I have the power to punch someone in their soul is extremely satisfying. 8)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 am

They're horses!
Without noses. Which is, like, one of the most defining features of a horse/pony face.

Seriously, if the show was not called "My Little Ponies," I'm not sure I'd be aware that they were supposed to be horses. Their FACES are just. So. Weird.

And, yes, anorexic.

And I don't know how anyone can like the way they look. MLP Gen 1 at least bore some resemblance to ponies. These just look like aliens on four feet.

I understand that people who were not so devoted to Gen 1 may not get it. But UGH.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:51 pm

MLP Gen 1 at least bore some resemblance to ponies.
Maybe that's why FiM is so popular. I know I'm not the only brony that finds actual horses to be ugly as sin.

dgf hhw

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 am

I think the new ones are super cute! I use to be really into MLP Gen 1.

I watched the first two episodes of FiM a couple of days ago, and I want to watch more... I just need to find the time. I also HATE watching it on my computer, I get so distracted.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:21 am

I think the new ones are super cute! I use to be really into MLP Gen 1.

I watched the first two episodes of FiM a couple of days ago, and I want to watch more...
WELCOME TO THE HERD

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:28 pm

I watched the first two episodes of FiM a couple of days ago, and I want to watch more...
Twinny! Yay!

You twisted my arm. I can hang out in here again if Nomi and Fred are going to be in here.

Re: anorexic/not-horse-looking comments...I apologize in advance for over-thinking things.

Real horses are majestic, graceful, athletic animals and I feel that, despite their closer resemblance to actual horses, the Gen1 MLP renderings do more of a dishonor to actual horses than FiM as far as appearances. They are blocky, washed out and instead of looking at least muscular, they look undefined in shape, which to me is at least as bad a design feature as looking too thin (and I don’t think FIM does, per se). Compare Gen1 to the horse from Tangled for instance.

It looks like an actual horse but manages to have more definition and elegance, noticeable just by glancing at it, no need to study it. Now, if you want to make the argument that that is a full grown horse and MLP is ponies, I still maintain FiM does the better job capturing the appropriate body shape.

But that brings me to my next ramble: FiM body renderings.

It should first be noted that the general lack of variety in thickness (thin to fat and everything in between) is due to time/animation restraints. The animation crew had a lot to do and not a lot of time or human resources to do it. They made one general shape for females and one for males and that was everyone, with the exception of some minor characters (Snips and Snails). I'll be interested to see if this changes in the upcoming season.

Beyond that, I both think the ponies suffer from a bit of an age/identity crisis and I think simply as a matter of shifting position, the ponies are going to display varying body “types.”

While standing on all four, it’s my opinion that the ponies are drawn to be the animal counterpart to a female with an hourglass body. Wide hips/backside (oh, those silly “plots”), wider upper body (shoulders in this case, and the itty bitty waist. It’s not for nothing that people might say the thing about it being like watching hot girls. The way the eyes were done only adds to that perception, in my opinion. But disproportionately big eyes have been used since the beginning of time in animation (see Steamboat Willie, aka Mickey Mouse) because they allow for much more freedom in expression and conveying emotion; if the nose was better at this or more important in doing so, I have no doubt they would have fought harder to keep the nose big. But I’m getting off track.

While the horses are standing on hind legs, like such Image, I find they drop the older, teen-young adult body type look and shift to the much younger toddler-esque form. Wide and soft bellied, narrower upper body and when this happens, although the face doesn’t change, the eye size now becomes more a sign of youth only and less “hot girl”.

Anyway, I don’t find them to be anorexic but I do think it is conceivable to argue they might not promote body images any differently than typical Hollywood. If they were humanized, I know exactly the type of Hollywood starlets they’d resemble and it’s not the ones who are carrying more meat on their bones.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 am

I noticed that there were tons of fan pages and groups for MLP:FiM on Facebook, but not an actual TV Show page.

So I created it.

:|

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 am

I was looking to see if I could find yours without asking and I stumbled upon a group that both fascinates me and disturbs me, though definitely more the former than the latter.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:41 am

Okay, last post before I leave it to fans of the show.

Ponies actually often have a different build from horses, which includes a rounder barrel and more of a resemblance to MLP Gen 1 than the horse picture you posted.

And I hate their FACES. They are freaky, alienesque things that I do. Not. Get.

And should I ever be able to get over this prejudice enough to watch the show, I'll return.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:38 am

In the middle of episode 4 (had to skip 3), and just laughed out loud at this line:

"No, not baked goods...baked BADS."

I'm liking it so far. I'm definitely most similar to Twilight with a pinch of Fluttershy thrown in.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:45 pm

I was looking to see if I could find yours without asking and I stumbled upon a group that both fascinates me and disturbs me, though definitely more the former than the latter.
This will require clarification.

Also in case you didn't find it
http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Little ... 9086395730
In the middle of episode 4 (had to skip 3), and just laughed out loud at this line:

I'm liking it so far. I'm definitely most similar to Twilight with a pinch of Fluttershy thrown in.
Yes, you will be assimilated into the herd. Resistance is silly.

Ep 4 - Applebuck Season - one of my favorites because it's star is Applejack. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Yes! I felt like the show was a kindred spirit. I love that sort of humor so, so much.There will be a watch scene later on that had me cracking up, though I won't tell you episode or character. You'll know it when you see it.

This will require clarification.

It was about clopping. I would go into even further detail but I'm trying not to make it seem, to those who have a more passing interest, as though my fascination is either typical or anything more than interest in that which I don't understand. I also should retract the use of the word "disturb." That has a much more negative connotation than I actually meant.

I'm kind of dying to talk to anyone who either does understand or likewise doesn't but finds it as intriguing as I do.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 pm

I just finished episode 5, and I really don't know who's turning out to be my favorite. Right now it's kinda a tie between Pinkie Pie, Apple Jack, and Fluttershy. Although I do know my least favorite is probably Rainbow Dash so far.

Man, i'm exhausted, but all I want to do is stay up and watch more!

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 am

Although I do know my least favorite is probably Rainbow Dash so far.
Excuse me while I....
YEEEEEAAAAAAH!

Dash is over-rated. Everyone loves her, she's got the most merchandise and exposure, I just don't see the appeal... The tomboy/cool-girl character is so overdone these days.
Man, i'm exhausted, but all I want to do is stay up and watch more!
You're not alone. I won't soak up more Pweb space with them (at least not right now), but the image macros regarding not-sleeping to watch the show or discuss it on the various forums are numerous. :)
clopping
Say no more. Not here, at least. :|
Rule 34 is universal. But in this case, yes - quite strange, and this can be fascinating/terrifying depending on your perspective (and exactly what it is you've stumbled across.) I've been at both ends - at one point, actually questioning the... physics of a particular concept, and the other closing Firefox tabs post-haste (the term I believe is "nightmare fuel".)

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 pm

http://instagr.am/p/L9JHJ/ This belongs here.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:37 pm

My shirt came today. :)

It takes a certain kind of man to fill out a shirt like this. I am just that kind of man.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Glad you're liking it, Fred, and I love that you're rocking your shirt, Satya. :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:39 pm

I just finished episode 5, and I really don't know who's turning out to be my favorite.
Don't judge too hastily! I know many people's opinions of Rarity drastically improved after Art of the Dress, and the penultimate season 1 episode I find is amazing and is very Pinkie-centric.
Dash is over-rated. Everyone loves her, she's got the most merchandise and exposure, I just don't see the appeal... The tomboy/cool-girl character is so overdone these days.
Screw you guys. No one can touch lesbian carwasher!
In the middle of episode 4 (had to skip 3)
For logistical reasons, or you just didn't like 3...? (I rather liked it, but it's not in my top tier... not liking it is forgivable)

dgf hhw

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 am

Don't judge too hastily! I know many people's opinions of Rarity drastically improved after Art of the Dress, and the penultimate season 1 episode I find is amazing and is very Pinkie-centric.
I just finished a mini marathon after getting Will to stream MLP on his touch pad. While I did find myself liking Rarity a little more after Art of the Dress, she's still not my favorite.

Pinkie Pie is seriously turning out to be my favorite, she just cracks me up! Fluttershy is also awesome. I also love anything to do with Apple Jack and her family/farm. My least favorite is still Rainbow Dash... I don't hate her or anything, i'm just not that into her story lines as much.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:21 am

I just finished a mini marathon after getting Will to stream MLP on his touch pad. While I did find myself liking Rarity a little more after Art of the Dress, she's still not my favorite.

Pinkie Pie is seriously turning out to be my favorite, she just cracks me up! Fluttershy is also awesome. I also love anything to do with Apple Jack and her family/farm. My least favorite is still Rainbow Dash... I don't hate her or anything, i'm just not that into her story lines as much.
You sir, are a gentleman of taste.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 am

In the middle of episode 4 (had to skip 3)
For logistical reasons, or you just didn't like 3...? (I rather liked it, but it's not in my top tier... not liking it is forgivable)
Logistical reasons. I'm watching it on the Hub channel as they play and I had the first 5 taped, minus the third episode, so I skipped it. They don't have it scheduled to play anytime soon, either. I've now watched up through 7 and just waiting for more to air in the correct order. I know, I could just watch online...but I'm old fashioned, you see.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season to decide my order of favorites.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Just be aware, season 2 is starting in only about 12 1/2 days! At that point, I expect a lot of discussion here will be about that (and I assume it'll be easier to catch them in order when they're going through their initial run).

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:35 am

Just be aware, season 2 is starting in only about 12 1/2 days! At that point, I expect a lot of discussion here will be about that (and I assume it'll be easier to catch them in order when they're going through their initial run).
I'm actually a little nervous about the huge influx of fans on my /b/ threads. It's already tough enough to keep up as it is, they go really quickly. As it is, I managed to talk with a guy who makes fan art, and he made this picture based on my story. I think it's fantastic, a very difficult scene to have portrayed and he did it well. It looked like a still from the show at first glance, and I can tell he worked to give it a depth and complexity in the emotions portrayed, which fit the story beautifully. That it seems to have only taken him a few hours after reading is awesome. It would have been easy to pick a different scene, something with more going on externally, but this was really a climactic moment and it was almost entirely internet conflict.

Oh, and his username is Bean. I haven't asked him if it's EG related yet. I hope it is. :) It's a big pic so I'll link it:

Painless_Commission_Bean/MisterAibo.deviantart.com - full color version
Painless_Commission_Bean/MisterAibo.deviantart.com - desaturated version
Painless_Commission_Bean/MisterAibo.deviantart.com - black & white version

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:54 am

That looks great. I am impressed, jealous of his skill, and a little jealous of what it must feel like to create something and have someone else flesh it out even more.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Aaaand his username IS an EG reference. Awesome, a fellow bronie and EG fan. :D

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:01 pm

bronie
This is like people saying "Pinky Pie". aaargh.

How frequently are the /b/ threads going by? I remember when a /co/ thread hit 1600, which seemed pretty crazy at least at the time. But now that there's numerous different pony boards with reasonable popularity, that may have alleviated some of the flood.

dgf hhw

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:37 pm

And I just finished season one! I was going to try and spread it out to last until season two, but yea...

: )

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:02 am

Go, Twinny! Did you end up having a favorite episode? And what'd you think of the songs?

I personally loved Sweetie Belle's lullaby; it was so stylistically unexpected for me, taking on a 50s R&B/Soul feel compared to the others, that were either directly based on musicals or had more of a pop/rock underbelly/persuasion.

In fact, of everything that the show has going against it in terms of capturing male audiences, I think the music would be one of the hardest sells. Most guys I know don't really like musical numbers. Quite a few girls I know don't like them, either. This got me thinking that pretty much every show I've loved has had at least one entirely musical episode; Scrubs, Daria, Buffy. FiM hasn't really had a musical episode but it doesn't shy away from its music, either.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:47 am

bronie
This is like people saying "Pinky Pie". aaargh.

How frequently are the /b/ threads going by? I remember when a /co/ thread hit 1600, which seemed pretty crazy at least at the time. But now that there's numerous different pony boards with reasonable popularity, that may have alleviated some of the flood.
Sorry, I'm used to avoiding the word filters on /b/. Brony. You can't type certain words on /b/ - not bad words, just things like "4chan", "pony" and "brony".

The /b/ threads have an image cap of 152; once we reach it, a new thread is created and the old one abandoned. Since we are allowed only one thread (which is still inundated by spam and trolls and the occasional mod interference), so far (minus server downtime, mass bannings and acts of God), the MLP thread on /b/ has gone on uninterrupted since May. The last decent guesstimation I saw was that nearly 20,000 threads had been created, and Season 2 hasn't started. It just goes on, one after the other - there are always a few bronies chatting there, no matter what. I wake up at 5 am, and there's the /b/rony thread with people talking. Even with ponychan, FiMchan and /co/, /b/ threads are stronger than ever. The only one I ever go to is ponychan, but it's kind of different there - everything's broken up into /pony/, /rp/, /chat/, etc. And I guess to show me that I still have some bad habits, I got banned from ponychan for a few hours the other day for arguing with someone over whether depression had genetic factors or not. They don't take kindly to any discussion louder than a whisper over there, so it's a culture-shock going from /b/.

As for the musical numbers GD and Fred; they're kind of hit-or-me for me, as a guy. Some of them are just 'meh' in my opinion - the whole last episode was mediocre to me because of them (though Fluttershy's "YOU'RE GOING TO LOOOOVE MEEE" moment makes it all worthwhile). However, some songs are fantastic, and really make the episode (Suited for Success and Winter Wrap Up, for example.) I downloaded one of the music collections linked every /b/ thread, so I've got a ton of the MLP songs (and awesome fan remixes.) I listen to "Art of the Dress" and "Winter Wrap Up" frequently, my favorites of the bunch. You might try "Art of the Dress (Always Stressed)" remix and "Winter Wrap Up (Late Again") remix, as well as fan music like "Dragonshy's Dark Descent" and "For The New Lunar Republic" if you like them. Should be available on youtube, and if you want to download the music collection (which includes all the original songs, all the background songs, some orchestral versions and the better fan remixes/remakes), I'll dig up the link.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”