Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:52 am

Last edited by Satya on Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 am

My 3 year old seems to enjoy it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 am

Without choosing "other," I can't participate in the poll. When asked this question before, the answer basically came out as "rotates between all the mane 6, minus Rarity, and then it depends on my mood and the episode." Which is the cheater's way of answering but I think they're all more complex characters than they appear at first glance and the different circumstances bring out their strengths and weaknesses in different ways.

I'll say something similar, though, to what I said in the other thread about Trixie. The more Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight to a slightly lesser degree, are fanboyed/girled, the more I'm pushed toward Applejack. She is totally underrated.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:38 am

I suppose this is the best thread to bring up how awesome my dad is. When we were kids, he would regale us with stories of Ponyland and how it was being taken over by weeds! Weeds everywhere! What would the ponies do??? And then Joe Sampoña would show up and sharpen all the lawnmower blades so the weeds could be cut down, and Ponyland was saved. (Joe Sampoña being the local guy who would drive his truck around the neighbourhood servicing lawn implements.)

You'd think such a simple premise would wear itself out quickly, but he kept us entertained with it for years.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Usually my husband finds sites to download shows for us to watch but he's not on board with this idea yet. Can one of you post or pm me a link for a safe/easy place to download or watch the first few episodes of this? I'd like to give it a try. I'm just bad at finding them.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgsXkmQ6ZI

Mast3rlinkx is actually a good source for most/possibly all the episodes.

Oh, and, uh, if it needs to be said, if it's not for you, that's okay.

ETA: Okay, so that's not downloading. Hopefully that's okay. I never downloaded anything, so I wouldn't know where to look.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Luet, I dunno of anyplace to download them, but up until recently Youtube had all the episodes in full. I think Hasbro may have finally come down on the users doing it though (MenloMarseilles, Mast3rlinkx).

JL, sometimes 3 year olds have great taste. They usually like Cheerios, and those are damn good too.

GD, I hear you. Earthponys in general are underrated, and since Pinkie's the only other of the Mane 6 I think they're not appreciated as much. Yeah, no wings so no flying. But not being a unicorn doesn't mean they don't have magic; in fact they're supposed to have a magic connection with the earth. There was one comic, as far as I know it's canon-ness was murky, but basically said you can't kill an Earthpony on Equestrian soil, they will regenerate. So they age and die of natural causes but can't be killed on Equestrian soil.

But Derpy is obviously the only right choice.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 pm

By the way, Durden, you need to get on this... (you better not be ignoring this thread).

Satya, around what episode did you start? The last post in the "understand" thread seemed to be >implying that I wasn't aware of some of the history. I assure you, I've seen quite a bit first-hand since around Applebuck Season.
My 3 year old seems to enjoy it.
This is the best response.
Can one of you post or pm me a link for a safe/easy place to download or watch the first few episodes of this?
This playlist appears to still work: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEF7C6B22A07AD3A9 There are several ways to download videos from youtube; although I don't use it these days, I think the Firefox plugin DownloadHelper works well enough.

There are also other sources here: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/External_links#Videos but the above playlist is where I got my current copies.

Edit: The episodes should also be on iTunes (lacking the Hub watermark). And if I recall correctly, DVDs were confirmed to be released in 2011.
I think Hasbro may have finally come down on the users doing it though
In the past, it's just been trolls. From what I've heard, that's what it is this time, too.

Edit: Also, season 2 is rumored to start in less than a month! Am excite.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:35 am

Satya, around what episode did you start? The last post in the "understand" thread seemed to be >implying that I wasn't aware of some of the history. I assure you, I've seen quite a bit first-hand since around Applebuck Season.
I've seen the first season through and read synopsis of the accepted Hasbro canon from other iterations of the show and comics. I'm OCD like that. But I don't know what you mean, my last post in the Understand thread was entirely about the /b/ MLP threads, not the show.
In the past, it's just been trolls. From what I've heard, that's what it is this time, too.

Edit: Also, season 2 is rumored to start in less than a month! Am excite.
It is rumored to be trolls again as well, re: "Habsro" and not "Hasbro" as the "complainant" of copyright infringement in the Youtube notices.

Also on the last part: according to EqD - Season 2 100% Confirmed for September 17!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I am greatly ashamed of this thread, for you guys.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Satya: Well yeah, that's what I'm talking about, too. But I mean, when did you get pulled into it?
Also on the last part: according to EqD - Season 2 100% Confirmed for September 17!
Yeah yeah, it was confirmed like an hour before I said that.

Cez:

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 am

Why? Because you've watched the show and have a comment to make on what you perceive to be its quality or because you are making a judgment on age and gender divides in entertainment?

If the former, please present a case and if the latter, I pity you for being close-minded.

The animation is top-notch; lively, clean, colorful, and rather complex, for all its simplicity. The jokes, while not for everyone, are certainly capable of being as funny to older audiences as younger audiences. The message of the show is admirable. The characters aren't two dimensional. The fans -yes, those silly, silly, effeminate males (who, mind you, have big enough balls to watch something and own up to watching something that gets them a lot of ridicule) who must be gay pedophiles- are some of the most creative people I've ever happened upon and I dare you to find a show that's brought together as talented a group of people.

Focus that shame back on yourself, thank you.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 am

I am gonna love and tolerate the SHIТ outta you.

Zero, I got into it a couple months back.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:14 pm

And HNGGGGG F' YEAH, fic got the 'all clear' from EquestriaDaily's pre-readers with only a pair of spelling errors and formatting choices. Should be published shortly I'm guessing?

Awesome.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Why? Because you've watched the show and have a comment to make on what you perceive to be its quality or because you are making a judgment on age and gender divides in entertainment?
Oh my god if this turns into another argument between overzealous pony fans and people who just happen to not think it's the best thing ever (gasp) I'm going to need to stay out of the thread.

This happens nearly everywhere this is brought up. This is why these threads are maybe not a good idea.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Oh my god if this turns into another argument between overzealous pony fans and people who just happen to not think it's the best thing ever (gasp) I'm going to need to stay out of the thread.

This happens nearly everywhere this is brought up. This is why these threads are maybe not a good idea.
Except that clearly he hasn't seen it and is in no position to make any judgments whatsoever - especially when there are no doubt things in his tastes which any/many of us would find just as unappealing.

Also, implying pweb gets more than a dozen posts a day anyways. Who cares.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:54 pm

lol Zeroguy do pony fans usually get defensive so easily? (I'm asking because your response, which allusion I don't know but can guess at, was even less serious than my reply. So I'm assuming you're not butthurt by my post =x)
Must be the inner guilt and shame...

...GD I hope you weren't really saying that pony fans are somehow better than fans of other shows or things. Like, do you guys actually feel pony-elitism? The idea of pony-elitism is hilarious in and of itself. Actually advocating it and acting like somehow being a fan of a show makes you special? That has me scratching my head.

I haven't tried weed either. I guess I should go try that to make sure it really is as bad as they say and allow myself the freedom to make judgments about it? Gotcha. Gosh, darn my closemindedness.

Satya- I wouldn't mind if you made fun of something I like. People have different tastes, and it's something everyone has to deal with in life - someone with another opinion on their interests. Then again, I don't think this applies if you're obsessed with something that you judge you probably shouldn't like in accordance with societal norms. Hence, the defensiveness reaction instead of nonchalance.

-I'm out bronies. Have fun with your kiddie shows. Peace.
inb4rawrblablablathatIwontread

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:01 am

inb4rawrblablablathatIwontread
- make a big post of pseudo-intellectual arguments and thinly-veiled fury
- imply it's not you, it's other people who are mad

Trollestia wins again. 8)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm

lol Zeroguy do pony fans usually get defensive so easily?
I wouldn't say it's defensiveness, just... I think my original word of "overzealous" fits best. To be honest, I think the show is better than most give it credit for at first. I've seen people do complete 180's on their opinion of the show after watching a few episodes more often than any other show I've seen (have a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fRYSeIpIQ "Once you get past the fact that they're ponies, it's just like they're hot girls"). But I also think that's more due to the stigma of the MLP brand than anything else; it's not the best thing I've ever seen, but it certainly has quality.

So people can get kind of... really really firm in their belief of the show's quality, because others tend to not believe them when they first voice that opinion (or at least that's how it used to be; the popularity is pretty undeniable at this point). It's led to some arguing and some trolling I'm sure. Man, I'd never heard the word "manchildren" uttered so often before.
Except that clearly he hasn't seen it and is in no position to make any judgments whatsoever - especially when there are no doubt things in his tastes which any/many of us would find just as unappealing.
This is just silly; he thinks ponies are dumb, so good for him. I think there's a chance he'd like it if he watched, but there's a chance he wouldn't; if he doesn't want to try, who cares. I apparently like watching ponies animated in flash for little girls, and I'm fine with that, but it still seems a bit odd. I'm fine with others thinking it's stupid.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Ah, but my biggest grievance is this: he did not come into this thread to converse or simply state he was uninterested, he came in with the sole intention of being an ass; to insult those who do enjoy it and to insult it, itself. That is troll behavior in my opinion and I would have an issue with it no matter what the topic was. If he were a newbie, I'd have an easier time looking past but that he is not and this is not the first thread he's done this in. He can't pretend he's coming in here, not intending to put people on the defensive.

There are plenty of threads that don't fill me with glee, that are about things I'm uninterested in, as a whole, but I do one of two things: I stay the hell out or I find a way to constructively contribute to the conversation anyway.

At any rate, I'm out of this thread after this no matter what. I don't like anything enough to put up with his or anyone else's bullshit.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Hmmm manchildren? If MLP is really the new Twilight, I'm going to have to up my relevent vocabulary of insults to use. Thanks Zero. 8 )
How do you feel about the term ponytard? How about "adult"-phonies-who-like-ponies? I jk I jk. You can have your show, to each his own.

But wait, you mentioned the phrase "hot girls"?...Give me a sec
*goes to watch the show*

/inafterrawrblablablathatIdidntread

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:19 am

-I'm out bronies.

/inafterrawrblablablathatIdidntread
- say you're out
- come right back

Lauren Faust is a Master Troll.

Me: Hey guys, you hear that song _____?
Person 1: Oh yeah, it's great!
Person 2: Yeah I especially liked the part ____
Me: You guys wanna talk about it some more?
Them: Sure!
You: LOL WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING THIS SONG IS DUMB AND YOU ARE GAY FOR LIKING IT
Me: But... you've never even heard it....
You: LOL I DON'T NEED TO HEAR A SONG TO KNOW IT SUCKS DO I NEED TO TRY WEED TO KNOW IT'S BAD
Them: But, that's not really the same-
You: LOL I AM TROLL AND YOU ARE GAY FOR LIKING GAY THINGS LOLOL I'M OUT
Me: Well... that was stupid. Anyways, you guys wanna talk about the song some more?
Them: Sure!
You: LOL BUT I WANT YOUR ATTENTION PAY ATTENTION TO ME YOU GUYS ARE GAY AND DUMB :cry:
Us: *coolface*

Get on my level, kid.

-

At any rate.

What was the last cartoon you guys found that you enjoyed? Besides anime s***. The last "cartoony" cartoon I liked was Samurai Jack, and I wasn't surprised to find that some of the same people worked on MLP.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 am

When I found out MLP was connected to Powerpuff Girls, it made much more sense why adults were enjoying it.

Because Powerpuff Girls is awesome.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Can someone read that huge wall of text Satya posted and tell me if it's worth reading? I assume it goes something along the lines of rawrrawrblablaragggeargggrawrbla.

I jk I jk. We all know nothing Satya says is worth reading. :wink:

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Can someone read that huge wall of text Satya posted and tell me if it's worth reading? I assume it goes something along the lines of rawrrawrblablaragggeargggrawrbla.

I jk I jk. We all know nothing Satya says is worth reading. :wink:
lol confirmed for mad as f***

y u mad tho?

Yeah Jayelle, they seemed to go out of their way to utilize great talent. I was surprised at recognizing some of the voice actors.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:45 pm

And HNGGGGG F' YEAH, fic got the 'all clear' from EquestriaDaily's pre-readers with only a pair of spelling errors and formatting choices. Should be published shortly I'm guessing?

Awesome.
And it posted! 108 ratings so far, 4.5/5 stars, some awesome reviews. So damn psyched.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 pm

I enjoy samurai jack, but mlp (which I actually watched an episode of) is not my thing. I dont find it weird though since i can relate with jack. The trolling was cute :roll:
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:15 pm

How do you feel about the term ponytard? How about "adult"-phonies-who-like-ponies?
Eh... uninspired. I think the de facto ponyfag does it's job just fine these days.
When I found out MLP was connected to Powerpuff Girls, it made much more sense why adults were enjoying it.
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, too.
And it posted!
>I couldn't bring myself to write it. Not yet, at least.

Dammit satya, don't you know Cupcakes is the best story ever you're doing this all wrong.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, too.
I enjoyed Foster's, too.
And it posted!
>I couldn't bring myself to write it. Not yet, at least.

Dammit satya, don't you know Cupcakes is the best story ever you're doing this all wrong.
NO. Cupcakes was AN ABOMINATION. I don't stand for it! I do NOT love and tolerate it! And the whole PinkamenaTumblr thing is BAD. :(

Besides which, the "alternate" ending would in no way be Cupcake-esque. But it would be incredibly grimdark, just not in an unrealistic Pinkie-slasher-way.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

To be clear, I haven't really seen any PPG or Foster's, but that's just what I hear. The last non-anime animation I liked (and still like) is Adventure Time, though.
NO. Cupcakes was AN ABOMINATION. I don't stand for it! I do NOT love and tolerate it! And the whole PinkamenaTumblr thing is BAD. :(
Aww, did a certain story ruin eating cupcakes for youuu~? :D (Explanation for the others: "Cupcakes" is a very dark and surprisingly detailed gory [and awesome] fanfic; it's similar to what I assume movies like Saw/Touristas/etc are like.)

Also, we have a poll for favorite pony, but what is your stance on eps? Should I assume Party of One is your favorite? If so, I would agree, but I think it shines most after seeing the rest of the season first. Green Isn't Your Color and Sonic Rainboom are probably up there, too... and maybe Ticket Master. A Dog and Pony Show is probably the worst.

dgf hhw

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:55 pm

:D (Explanation for the others: "Cupcakes" is a very dark and surprisingly detailed gory [and awesome] fanfic; it's similar to what I assume movies like Saw/Touristas/etc are like.)
I've gotta disagree. I thought it was just terribad. Poorly written, obvious, overblown. The hype is just... maddening to see. I mean I understand the whole "turn something sweet and innocent into something evil and murderous" shtick. It didn't work for me, at all. =/
Also, we have a poll for favorite pony, but what is your stance on eps? Should I assume Party of One is your favorite? If so, I would agree, but I think it shines most after seeing the rest of the season first. Green Isn't Your Color and Sonic Rainboom are probably up there, too... and maybe Ticket Master. A Dog and Pony Show is probably the worst.
Dog And Pony Show is one of my favorites, actually. I quite like Rarity. Applebuck Season because AJ's probably my favorite of the Mane 6. Uh... Bird in the Hoof because it's Trollestia at her trolling finest. And Fall Weather Friends and Suited for Success.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 am

We don't have TV channels, but I would bet money that my husband would be a brony if he ever sat down and watched the show.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:35 am

You know, the thing of it is, seeing all of the people here who really like the show, there is a part of me that wants to watch it.

And then I actually look at it, and cannot get beyond the aesthetics.

Man, I LOVED old school My Little Ponies when I was a kid. Oh my gosh. Adored them. I still have one that I kept just for the hell of it. I really, really, really HATE the way these "My Little Ponies" look. All eyes and no nose and anorexic and just icky. And so, then I have to turn away in total revulsion. Especially -- Applejack was my first Pony. And they've turned her into this... this... thing that bears no resemblance to my sweet Applejack other than color. Cannot. Handle. It.

In other words, you new "Ponies" -- Gerroff my lawn!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 am

[quote="starlooker"] All eyes and no nose and anorexic and just icky. And so, then I have to turn away in total revulsion. [quote]

Voldepony?
Last edited by VelvetElvis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 am

Voldepony?
HAHAHA. Well, they're prettier than that, I suppose. Just barely.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”