Kitchen Challenge!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Kitchen Challenge!

Postby Young Val » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Whether you make gorgeous, authentic pandoro, or invariably burn toast--you belong here.

We are going to inspire and encourage each other to perform acts of culinary bravery. We are going to make some amazing, beautiful food, and it's going to be a blast.

A Kitchen Challenge can be a lot of things. It can be something you've never made before and want to try. It can be something you make all the time and want to perfect. It can be something simple or something complex. It can be something that requires no cooking at all, like a salad. It can be something that takes a loooooot of cooking, like a slow-cooked chili. It can be a sauce, a sandwich, a snack. It can be kid-friendly. It can be savory or sweet. It can be a recipe you made up yourself, or an old family favorite, or something you found in a cookbook, or a magazine, or on your favorite food blog. It can be a new ingredient, a new technique, a new cuisine. It can be just about anything, as long as it's edible.

And here is how it's going to work:

The Rules

1. There are no deadlines. You participate in the Kitchen Challenges at your own pace, when the time is right for you. If you don't complete a challenge this week, or month, or (if interest in this thread lasts that long) year, no problem. Life is chaotic and always happening. These Kitchen Challenges are supposed to be both fun and feasible. So if you don't have time to do all of them? No big deal. If you participate in the first challenge and skip the next four? A-OK. If we're on challenge seven and you want to go back and do challenge two because you didn't have the chance to previously? Rock on. We are just happy to have you.

2. Switch it up. Vegetarian, Vegan, or Pescatarian? Food allergies? Really, really, really loathe black beans? (Guilty!) Alter the recipe to suit your needs! Leave something out. Add something in. Do whatever you have to do to make the challenge user-friendly. I encourage you to push yourself, to tinker with the challenge and make it work for you. That said, there are some recipes that won't be up your alley no matter how much tinkering you do, and that's OK. Join in on the next one!

3. Brag & Bemoan. Here's the thing. You are going to make some spectacular food. It is going to look stunning and taste stellar. You are going to step back and take a look at the finished product on your plate and you are going to be astonished. You are going to accomplish some incredible things, and we want to hear about it! You are also going to make some stuff that totally sucks. I mean it. You're gonna burn stuff, undercook stuff, you're gonna add a Tablespoon of cayenne when a teaspoon is required. It's gonna happen. Your ragout is going to look like dogfood. You are going to set off the smoke alarm, probably twice at least. Accept that. You're also going to make some stuff that's just....meh. I mean, it's okaaaaay, but you'd probably never make it again. And you know what? We want to hear about that, too! Post pictures! (Of both your success and your failures!) Talk about where you went wrong. Talk about how awesome you are at piping buttercream roses. Talk about how you totally improvised and thought it was going to be a disaster and it turned out AWESOME! Ask for help! Offer advice! We're here for you!

And that's it!

Kitchen Challenges are going to come from all of us! Ideally, I'd like a person to participate in at least one challenge before it's her turn to issue or "host" one, but that depends on levels of participation. I'm also not sure how often challenges will be issued. That will also depend on participation. I'll start accepting submissions immediately, though, so get on it! Send me a PM that includes the information listed below. When it's your turn to host, I'll let you know so you can put your challenge up in the thread. You can host as many times as you like, so start thinking of all the stuff you've ever wanted to make and just needed an excuse. The excuse is here!

Submissions

*Recipe:
**Source:
Have you made this recipe before?
Why do you think this recipe would make a good challenge?

I'll post the first challenge before the weekend is through!

*Please include a list of ingredients/measurements and step-by-step directions.

**Recipes are not protected by copyright law. However, lengthy descriptions of cooking methods can be. If the narrative portion of your recipe is particularly long and comes from a cookbook or a food blog, I might rephrase it. I will also require a link to the source in the post, because if that food blog or cookbook is awesome, I'm sure I'll want to consider buying/reading it, and I'm sure others will, too. If the source is your grandmother, that's awesome, too, and we definitely want to give her a nod for that (if your grandmother has a blog, I'll link to that, too!).
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:35 pm

I am so excited!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:39 pm

I am so excited!
This.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:08 pm

I am so excited!
This.
SAME

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm a little bit nervous, but excited. I'll have to think of some good submissions.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 am

Question: Do I have to type the recipe in my own way, or can I link to recipes online? For instance, if I were to submit cream puffs, could I just link to the mel's kitchen cafe recipe that I used or would you prefer that I submitted the recipe typed by me with my own commentary? What about for a recipe that I've never done before that I want to try?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 am

If it's easiest for you to link to a recipe in the PM to me, that's fine! When we're putting up the actual challenge posts, I'd like the recipe to be typed up here on Pweb to keep things simple, but if you're just submitting an idea, a link is more than sufficient.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 am

Ok, so either way I'll eventually have to have the recipe not linked. Maybe I'll just do it in the first place? I don't know. I guess I'm just intimidated to write them up, since the cooking blogs do such a good job of it for me! Haha! I'll have to expand my horizons, it seems.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:29 am

If you want, Steph, I can "transcribe" the recipe for you and send it to you to post when it's your turn to host a challenge. When you're hosting, I'd love a few personal words about why you chose this particular recipe, though.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:32 am

That's a nice offer, Kelly, but you have plenty to be worrying about without transcribing for me! I already planned on including personal stuff about choosing the recipe, so I'll just buck up and do my duty! :D

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 pm

I think I'm going to try this. So long as I can afford the ingredients. :P

ETA: I guess this means I'll have to work on presentation, which I've always struggled with.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 am

First, this idea is awesome. I really look forward to what you guys come up with. Second, I want to try to participate. I don't cook at all. I have cooked one serious meal in my life and it turned out reasonable well. But I just don't have the will to shop regularly or to cook more often. Also, I don't have a clue what I'm doing in regards to technique or flavors. It just always seems beyond my grasp. But hopefully some PWeb inspiration and instruction will be enough to get me off of the sidelines and into the cooking game.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm

i may or may not be in.

sounds interesting, and i guess i have some recipes that ya'll will like. not sure if they're really a "challenge" sort of thing, but they're tasty!
Ubernaustrum

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 pm

I am super excited to try this!
-Kim

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm

So excited for this. When's the first challenge going up?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 pm

I PMed Kelly an ice cream recipe.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:01 am

Sorry guys! I got engaged just after my last post where I promised to have the challenge up by the end of the weekend, and now I'm in Boston visiting family until next week. Things have been hectic!

But I haven't forgotten about the challenge and I promise to kick it off when I'm back in Minnesota!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:41 am

excuses, excuses.
Ubernaustrum

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Punctuality? Not one of my virtues! Let it never be said that I am entirely lacking in follow-through, however.

Welcome to the first Kitchen Challenge!

I thought hard about how to kick off this little project. In the end, I decided to go with something that yields pretty impressive results with a minimum amount of work.

Fresh pasta.

Now, I know at least a few of you have made fresh pasta before. If you're one of them, please share your tips and tricks!

I've included two recipes to make this as accessible as possible. Semolina flour is a golden, gritty, delicious durum wheat flour often used specifically for pasta-making. If you can't find it, or don't want to shell out some extra cash for a specialty ingredient, have no fear. You can make scrumptious pasta using the all-purpose flour recipe.

Fresh Pasta (semolina four)
via my Kitchen Aid pasta roller manual *NOTE, a pasta roller of any kind is not required to make pasta. I promise.

Yield: 1 pound of pasta

Ingredients:

4 large eggs
2 Tbs water (I always, always, always need more than this)
1 Tbs oil
3 1/3 C semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt

-or-

Fresh Pasta (regular flour)
via Mario Batali

Yield: 1 pound of pasta

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 extra-large eggs
Pinch salt

Directions:

If you do have a pasta roller, mix and roll out your pasta according to the directions specific to your roller.

If you don't have a pasta roller, don't sweat it. David and I jointly purchased a pasta roller this spring as a birthday present for one another, and it has been awesome. But before that? I'd been making fresh pasta without one for three years. Man up, guys. You can do it.

You can mix the dough various ways. In a mixer with a dough hook, in a bowl with a fork or spoon, or old school: directly on the counter. Full disclosure--I have done the directly-on-the-counter thing a couple of times and I ALWAYS make a mess. Here's a video that shows the proper way to do it: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-fresh-pasta

Once your dough is mixed to a satiny, smooth consistency, it's time to let it rest. Wrap it in plastic and let it hang out for 20 minutes or so. Unwrap it, liberally flour your counter top, and roll it out at thin as you can get it. I may just be a weakling, but I could never really get this dough super thin. No problem. Thick pasta is delicious pasta. Then just cut it up. I've used a pizza roller, a cookie cutter, and a butter knife, all to great success.

From here, you can do a few things: cook it directly, dry it out, or freeze it. If you freeze it, put it in ziploc bags. If you want to dry it out, just leave it on the counter for an hour (it won't dry to the same hardness store-bought pasta does). Cook fresh pasta in boiling salted water for 2-4 minutes until al dente. Frozen or dried pasta make take a minute or two longer. Drain and sauce as your heart desires. YUM!

Here's some pictures of pastas I've made:

Go forth and get cooking, people!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Man, in about a week I am going to be all over this, i'm excited!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm going to have to join in on this one! I've never made pasta but have been meaning to give it a try for quite a while. I'll have to do the muscle intensive variety, though, since I don't have a pasta roller... :( (want one so bad for my Kitchen Aid... SO BAD!)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Mmmmm. I really want pasta now. With a little lemon, garlic and fresh ricotta.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:11 am

hmm I haven't made pasta in some time, and I can get semolina flour and see how much of a difference that makes... Is this pasta recipe better than Marcella Hazan's?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:22 am

Adam, I've never tried Marcella's recipe. I've used a variety of recipes throughout the years, many of which aren't really traditional recipes at all, but throwing things in a bowl without measuring until it looks and feels right. I HAVE used both of the recipes posted, though, and I liked the results I got from both of them. In general I prefer egg doughs to those just made with flour and water. And I do prefer semolina flour to all purpose in my pasta-making.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Somewhat related, figured I'd post it here.

Let's say you're outfitting a brand new kitchen, on a budget, but a forgiving one. What are, in each of your opinions, the most important and best items to purchase for this new kitchen such that most cooking and baking tasks can be accomplished?

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm super excited to try the homemade pasta! It's been on my list of goals for a while now!

Wil, I have kind of 3 categories of kitchen stuff: stuff I use at least once a week (most nearly every day), stuff I don't use often, stuff that's jus nice to have

Stuff I use at least once a week:
One cookie sheet
9x9 casserole pan (glass)
mixing bowl
storage bowls (glass)
2 spatulas
mixing spoon
whisk
9" chef's knife
deep sided frying pan with lid
small sauce pan with lid
small microwave sauce pan (for canned soups if I'm being lazy)
pitcher for juice or tea
cups, plates, bowls, silverware
cleaning supplies

Stuff I don't use often:
muffin tin
different sizes of pots and pans
9x13 baking pan
large serving platter
potato masher (most commonly used as avocado masher for guacamole)
The rest of the knife set

Nice stuff to have:
Dishes scraper (little plastic square, essentially)
Electric kettle (I use this thing practically every other day- I have this on; http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 480&RN=687&)
electric mixer of some kind
-Kim

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:40 pm

That's a great list!

I just wanted to add that I almost only ever use three knives:
  • • 6" Chef's knife (I'd love to have a good 9" one, but I don't and can't afford it at the moment)
    • Paring knife
    • Serrated bread knife.
Also good to have around:
  • • Silicone spatula (not like you'd flip burgers with, but the kind you can use for mixing and scraping and stirring, silicone is better than rubber because it can withstand high heat)
    • Small grater (just a small handheld, single size on that works for grating hard cheeses, nutmeg, and zesting citrus)
    • Slotted spoons (and other serving utensils, I forgot about these for a while and was always looking for stuff to serve food with)
    • Colander

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:09 pm

I use the heck out of my pizza stone and Yoshi blade. Yes, the As Seen on TV Yoshi Blade. It really does cut through frozen chicken breast with ease!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Making pasta now. :)

And yeah, a pizza stone is a wonderful thing, even if you only ever use it for frozen pizzas, but it is great for bread making!
Last edited by Platypi007 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:41 pm

I made pasta! It's pretty yummy, though I'm sure it'd be better with semolina flour, but I didn't feel like going to the store, so I used good old all purpose.

I used the countertop mixing method, I'm pretty familiar with it from some breads I've made in the past and it is always a great method when you aren't sure how much flour you really need, since it does the measuring for you.

I did watch the video, and loved the rolling and cutting tutorial (I only made a half batch with Mario's recipe, though) and tried to do the knife trick. It didn't work for me, oh well! Maybe with practice. (I also want that giant tree branch of a rolling pin, except I'd have to knock out walls to use it!)

I think I could have gone a bit thinner, but was running out of counter space and if I let the dough hang off it'll get caught on cabinet handles... and I should have sliced it thinner, but we learn from our mistakes, eh?

I served it with the last of the pesto (fresh made from my basil, with pecans instead of pine nuts since they are a) cheaper, b) local and c) yummy!) which means I need to make another batch! (I do have half this batch and another in the freezer, but I intend to keep doing that, freezing half a batch and using half a batch so I have pesto to use into the winter.)

So, yay! Thanks for the challenge, it made me do something pretty easy that I've been meaning to do for quite some time but just hadn't gotten around to!

No pictures, the only digital camera I have is on my phone and it only does well with good lighting, something my kitchen lacks very much.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:09 pm

i've made several types of noodles. they're all fairly easy. and YUMMY! egg noodles, semolina, gnocci. gnocci is kind of tricky. gotta get the flour right, and boiling it is trickier still because you don't want it getting overcooked.

one of my favorite things about making your own noodles is you can make them however you want. homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles we'd make most of them normal, but we'd set aside some that would end up being more like dumplings because they were so thick and chewy in places. yum!

with the divorce, i've had so little ambition to cook. all my recipes are for family sized dishes and aside from once a week making something i can use for leftovers for my lunch, i haven't been cooking. its a bit depressing.

looking forward to the next challenge! oh, i have recipes for challenges too. yummy, yummy food!
Ubernaustrum

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:32 pm

I've got the problem of not cooking a lot because I live alone, too. And my favorite thing is baking, and it is a really bad idea for me to bake a batch of cookies or a cake since I live by myself. :D

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 pm

no kidding! though with cookies i have a couple that i really like to make and what i've been doing with those is make the dough and make as many as you want, then dollop out the amount you'd use for a cookie and instead of baking it, lay them out in a pan, separated layers with wax paper and cover them, freeze them. then before they're rock hard or frozen to the pan, put them in a zip lock freezer bag and freeze them. then you can take out a serving of cookies any time you want, thaw them and cook them. although i found i had to cook them for a minute or two longer than usual. keeps me from gorging myself on them too.
Ubernaustrum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Screw all of you and your cooking selves. (And I mean that with love.)
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 pm

no kidding! though with cookies i have a couple that i really like to make and what i've been doing with those is make the dough and make as many as you want, then dollop out the amount you'd use for a cookie and instead of baking it, lay them out in a pan, separated layers with wax paper and cover them, freeze them. then before they're rock hard or frozen to the pan, put them in a zip lock freezer bag and freeze them. then you can take out a serving of cookies any time you want, thaw them and cook them. although i found i had to cook them for a minute or two longer than usual. keeps me from gorging myself on them too.
Yep! I started doing this after the coffee shop I used to work for started buying parbaked and frozen goods for baking. The cookies came like that, and worked perfectly.

Soups and stews work great for freezing and thawing, if you use those cheap Glad containers they sell with the ziplock bags and such you can put a single serving or two in each one.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”