Dearly Beloved

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Dearly Beloved

Postby Young Val » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Dearly Beloved,

We are gathered here today to say our goodbyes to my 32 oz Bodum Chambord French Press (Item Number: 1923-16).

Oh, FP! I remember when I brought you home from Bed, Bath & Beyond just over a year ago. I couldn't have bought anything more perfect with that $50 gift card! You were so sleek and elegant, standing tall between the two Bodum double-walled Pavina glasses that came with you! (Bonus!) One of those glasses, poor thing, smashed to smithereens within weeks. The other sits far back in the deep darkness of our shelf; we're too scared to use him, now.

But you!

You, FP, we used you every day! Hot coffee in boiling time + 4 minutes! Cold-press iced coffee over night! We even traveled with you! Brought you up to the cabin for our weekend stays. We couldn't bear to be parted, FP. You and us, we were inseparable.

All our friends wanted you. You elevated every brunch, made every post-dinner-party coffee & dessert seem even more sophisticated. Your mirror-bright metal frame sparkling in the light, reflecting back the longing looks we all bestowed on you, as we feasted on your perfect simplicity, your undeniable charm, your f****** amazing coffee.

We all knew it would have to happen sometime, FP. But when your delicate glass beaker cracked...my heart cracked, too.

We unearthed a dusty, distant relation. He's plastic, squat and unappealing. He keeps the coffee coming, but he doesn't bring us any joy. Not the way you did, FP.

I want you to know that I miss you. That I will always, always love you. That the second I can afford it, I'm buying another one of you. Seriously, really, as soon as possible, it is happening. You will be resurrected, FP. We will be together again. May that time be sooner rather than later.

And until then, may your pour be ever perfect. In Coffee Maker Heaven, FP, I know there is some counter space cleared just for you.

Amen.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:55 pm

I am so sorry for your loss! : (

At least you'll always have the memories.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 pm

FP, thank you for the loving service you gave to our dear friend Kelly. You made her so happy and in doing so, made those around her happier as well. We grieve for her pain. Please let the laundry fairies know that now is the time for planting random twenty dollar bills in forgotten pockets.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Thank you both for your sympathy in this difficult time. FP was well-loved, and shall not be forgotten soon.

(Please, if you are mourning the loss of some beloved object of your own, know that we're all here for you. Lost earring? Totaled car? Old, immensely comfortable sweater that cannot, under any circumstances, be worn in public any longer due to being threadbare and ripped and covered in stains and which you have already held on to for far too long for purely sentimental reasons and which your mother/significant other/friend has finally convinced you to part with? Unburden yourself).
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:18 pm

i am truley sorry for your lots

:(
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Beloved formal silverware we registered for,

Why are you out of stock one month before my bridal shower? Why are you so delightfully simple and reasonably priced so that nothing compares? Please come back before July so that I don't have to pick new silverware...
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am

:::puts up LOST posters for Formal Silverware and include Kimmie's contact info so she can add those babies to her registry the moment they're found:::
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:11 pm

It worked! They came back into stock today!!
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 pm

I'M MAGICAL!

If only I could bring FP back from the dead...
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:15 pm

We want a french press now.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:09 pm

You should absolutely get one. I highly recommend the Bodum Chambord.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 pm

It worked! They came back into stock today!!
Wow, Kelly is amazing!

I'm glad your silverware came back!

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:54 am

Typically I do not have strong feelings toward inanimate objects...typically. But Kelly, what you wrote was so eloquently worded as only you could, that my heart really goes out to you, yours and, of course, the FP. FP was surely loved and is definitely missed. May the heir to the coffee throne be a suitable replacement.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:01 pm

The clasp of my favorite necklace is missing.

this necklace:
The necklace that I wore at my wedding:

And it is broken. Like my heart. </3
Yay, I'm a llama again!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:27 pm

The silverware is gone again!
-Kim

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm

The silverware is gone again!
Maybe somebody bought them for you!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

It's not gone off my registry, just out of stock! At least it isn't out of stock at the manufacturer's website.

We've decided that we like this silverware so much that if we don't get it off the registry, we will just buy it ourselves from Mikasa.
-Kim

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm

It's not gone off my registry, just out of stock! At least it isn't out of stock at the manufacturer's website.

We've decided that we like this silverware so much that if we don't get it off the registry, we will just buy it ourselves from Mikasa.
Wait, so you know what you're getting before you actually get it? That just seems... wrong. (Are most places like this? I never actually checked our registry before the wedding, but maybe I could have? We did get something after the wedding saying we could get X% off what was left on the registry, which we used.)

Plus, people don't always check it off the registry. We got the same 4 sets of dishes from our registry.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I've still been editing the registry, which is how I know they're not ticked off the registry. I've also been checking that silverware to see if its in stock since my.bridal shower is 2 weeks away and that seems like a good shower gift (its in a good.price range.)

Also, the store told us to check periodically and make sure the registry was still well stocked, because it is frustrating for guests to go buy something and only have like 4 options left on the registry.

Also gone: the calphalon knife set we wanted... but it's gone in a calphalon-doesn't-make-it-anymore.way.
-Kim

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Yay, I'm a llama again!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Yep. Beautiful, well balanced, nicely gripped knives. What was that one person doing carrying the block around with the knives in it anyway to get a laceration? (In other words, I think it's a silly recall)
-Kim

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Yep. Beautiful, well balanced, nicely gripped knives. What was that one person doing carrying the block around with the knives in it anyway to get a laceration? (In other words, I think it's a silly recall)
And this is why I hate tort law.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Today I am mourning the retirement of two of my dearly beloved shirts.

They are colorful, beautifully printed, the epitome of dressy/casual, fine to wear with jeans or dress slacks, and worked so nicely with my body. I wore one of them just last Friday. It is very hard to find clothes that suit me, that make me feel pretty and professional. I can never seem to find shirts that I like. But these two? Perfect. I have never had shirts I have felt like this about before, and I doubt there will be others to come.

They were babydoll style tops, and I always did have the lurking fear that they might make me look pregnant. Well, I needn't have worried. Because when I put them on yesterday, it turned out that they look totally different now that I actually am pregnant. Wearing them would be like making an announcement with a bullhorn. Alas, I am not ready to make such an announcement, yet, and they just don't make me feel nearly so pretty anymore. The bust no longer fits correctly, and unless I hold my stomach in very carefully, it's quite obviously sticking out.

(Also, now I really have to go clothes shopping. They were a very significant part of my summer wardrobe. I hate shopping at the best of times. This is not the best of times. I cannot believe how rapidly my body is changing.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:14 am

I continue to mourn the loss of my purse. I continue to be baffled, amused, and outraged at its undignified demise. (Seriously, McDonalds, you couldn't even give it the respect of stealing from it? You threw it in the garbage??)

I posted pictures of it last year, when I got it. And I posted pictures of the wallet I adored which was in it. The purse, being an upcycled leather jacket sewn by Mennonites, can never be replaced. One of a kind. The wallet I drooled over for a year before seeing on sale and buying it. They don't make them anymore. I loved that wallet so much!

And while we're at it, I'm going to mourn the loss of my childhood library card. I hung onto that for decades deliberately! It was cracking into pieces and missing chunks, but I've had that library card my whole life! I can't replace it! I spent years refusing to exchange it for a new, more durable card.

Some part of me wishes I could find out which landfill it went to so I could go dig it up. Those items mean that much to me. The main thing stopping me is the sheer impossibility of the task.

You will be avenged, my dearly-cherished purse and contents. You will be avenged.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Today, I am mourning the loss of my small Pyrex dish. It has been missing for months, but the sadness of the lid with no dish is especially poignant today. Where it went, I have not a clue.

Likewise, I am without my 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Though I believe that one went with my roommate to her newlywed apartment by mistake.

My sympathies for the purse. Perfect purses and wallets are far too hard to find.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:25 pm

I'd be sad if my woven stainless steel wallet would die on me

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:20 am

My sympathies for the purse. Perfect purses and wallets are far too hard to find.
IN THE GARBAGE!

(I'm sorry. It's been well over two months now, and I'm still outraged at the indignity. It was a nice purse and not at all resembling a piece of trash.)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 pm

I am mourning the loss of my bluetooth, which I had thought was somewhere in my apartment, however I'll do a thorough cleaning of my car this weekend and see if it somehow migrated there, but as of now it appears to be lost. :(
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 am

I totally feel your pain, Kelly. Paul has broken not one but TWO of my French Presses. And he doesn't even drink coffee.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:51 am

http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Ultimo-S ... 122&sr=8-2

I have one of these, expensive, but I don't have to keep rebuying glass bottles. plus it keeps the coffee hotter, longer.

also, doing the 'scoop out the grounds' technique just before pressing means that if you don't pour all the coffee out in two cups, the coffee remaining in the pot won't get too bitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfN116i4mVg
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:33 pm

My lobster towel...

It's been the BEST towel I have ever owned, and it just ripped! It was bought for me by Will because it was a cute lobster pattern that he knew I would love. I've used the heck out of this towel for the past three years. It's thin enough that it drys quickly, but fluffy enough that it drys me off really well. It was only three dollars, but I LOVED it!

The rip is even right though a lobsters claw, poor thing!

: (
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:07 pm

No!!! That sounds tragic. I mourn with you.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:52 pm

This isn't a thing, exactly, but I haven't been able to even stand the smell of fried chicken for about a month now. It used to be one of my favorite foods.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:55 pm

This isn't a thing, exactly, but I haven't been able to even stand the smell of fried chicken for about a month now. It used to be one of my favorite foods.

...now I'm all suspicious. You know what smell aversions mean.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Working at KFC.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”