Dearly Beloved

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 pm

This isn't a thing, exactly, but I haven't been able to even stand the smell of fried chicken for about a month now. It used to be one of my favorite foods.

...now I'm all suspicious. You know what smell aversions mean.
Ughhh. I know what they mean. And I know that my mother was that 1% of women that hormonal birth control never worked for. So, yeah, I have a little paranoia.

EDIT: ha, EL, one of the things about having worked in heatlhcare for years is that my smell aversions are healthcare specific. For instance, I hate the smell of insulin.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Know what you mean. I have an aversion to a specific type of industrial floor-cleaner. It only got worse when my mom was sick, because now I associate that smell with sick mom as well as work.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:47 pm

My friends tell me that I have pregnancy-nose. Seeing that I have an incredibly sensitive sense of smell (and an aversion to many smells) normally, I cannot imagine how bad it would be if I was ever pregnant.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Dearly Beloved

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 pm

My beloved TI-83 silver edition has vanished. The calculator that has seen me through every class with any math since eighth grade. The calculator whose games entertained me through high school chemistry. The calculator that my brother had a poster of in his bedroom. The calculator that same brother bestowed upon me after he graduated high school. The calculator that he got from his crazy ex-girlfriend who broke his. The calculator that has been my comfort and lucky charm for many a test and homework assignment. My dear calculator is gone. Nowhere to be found. Did I leave it in the chemistry building? The lab? The food court? The deep recesses of my couch from whence there is no return? The world may never know.

And now I am stuck borrowing my roommate's TI-89 that, despite being a newer and fancier model, lacks all the beauty and ease of use that made my calculator an extension of my own mind.

Come back to me, O Calculator, wherever thou mayst be. I know I have not used thee as frequently as I have in years past, and for that I am most sorry. It is nothing against thee, for thou art as marvelous as the day thou wast born, and I mourn thy loss.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:08 am

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, the death of a french press is a sad thing, a Boudom doubly so...

Is it super nerdy that I know exactly which product this is? Yes, and I'm comfortable with that. I spent many days eyeing a Chambord from behind my expresso machine at work, I never was able to afford it, though. Now I own the Costa Rica, which my mom picked up at a thrift store. Thrift stores FTW.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 am

The calculator that my brother had a poster of in his bedroom.

Whaaa? This seems utterly bizarre to me.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 am

The calculator that my brother had a poster of in his bedroom.

Whaaa? This seems utterly bizarre to me.
I thought the same thing.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:58 am

I totally pictured a sleek looking TI-83 with a bikini on.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:01 am

"Push my buttons and I'll plot your matrix"
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:40 am

I thought I had lost my TI-81, and was similarly saddened. This was two years ago. Then I visited my brother in Texas and discovered he had it. Even had my last name in white-out on it. So keep your chin up! It is somewhere!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:44 am

Ok, I no longer feel nerdy, you people are talking about calculators with bikinis.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:57 am

I never got into the TI calculators. I was partial to the casio's VPAM entry system. I know that I'm in the minority. My current calculator, which isn't for calculus/graphing purposes, is a Casio fx-115MS. The one I had in high school had my name etched into it. :evencooler:

Also, I love this notebook of mine:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 am

I did math and did it capably, but I hated it. I don't know how to described how much I dreaded it.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 am

His pre-calc teacher gave him the poster as part of his ongoing attempts to foster higher morality in his students. Not that my brother had an issue with that. He did have a poster of a calculator on his wall, after all. Unfortunately, it is not wearing a bikini.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 am

I never had a poster.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:17 am

Shannon, I offer you my deepest sympathies. Truly, that is a devestating loss.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 pm

I had a TI-81 that died so I got a TI-85. I loved that thing and due to my programming skills I was able to write a program that did a lot of my math work for me. It had all the equations and extra calculations that came in handy from high school through college. I was even able to sell the program to several people at our high school. By the end of the year that I wrote it, most of the kids in our school had the program on their calculators.

My wife broke her TI-85 so she has mine now. She managed to spill on it so all Tue keys are very sticky but it works. Somehow, my homework solving program is no longer loaded on it. :cry:
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:20 pm

My herbal heat wrap (yes, that I was using for cramps) is no more. My husband was trying to be helpful and microwave it for me but he didn't realize that he was supposed to fold it up so it could rotate and instead it was flat out and touching the sides of the microwave. It could not rotate and thus it got so hot in one spot, that it MELTED to the side of the microwave. It has served me well for over five years. Off to etsy to look for a new one...

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh no! What a terrible time to lose it.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 am

Dearly Beloved,

We are gathered here today to say our goodbyes to my most frequently used kitchen utensil: Oxo Good Grips Silicone Flexible Turner.

SFT, I have no words. You were truly the best spatula I've ever owned. Pancakes, quesadillas, stir-fry--you were there for me. Perfectly-flipped over-easy eggs every. damn. time. Your weight, your width, your balance...you were a thing of beauty. Truly the most versatile of all culinary tools, your precision was unparalled.

I am lost.

All the eggs I've made since you passed....disasterous. No other spatula handles the way you did. When I'm cooking now, I reach for you...and you're not there. Your absence is like a dull, rusty knife in my heart. In the four years we spent together I did some of the best cooking of my life. I'm just no good without you, baby.

When you get to Kitchen Heaven, give my love to FP (we still haven't properly replaced him). I hope you can take comfort in one another, but I shall never get over the holes you've left behind.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Return to “Milagre Town Square”