Brontosaurus Lays an Egg

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I don't know if it's too soon but I would like to request images of Momma Brontosaurus, too. I'm pretty sure you are doing it wrong if you're not keeping visual records of your hump (your lovely baby bump).
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:13 pm

I so did not realize what this thread was about!

Also, it makes my ovaries twitch in jealousy. I am so looking forward to having a baby!
-Kim

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 am

Hahaha, hi, Kimmie!

Alea, I have a couple of pictures since it started being visible, but I don't like them and/or am self-conscious about them. I doubt I'll post those ones online, but catch me on AIM or I'll email them to you.

In other news, I talked to the immigration advice people here at the school today, and let's just say things are complicated. Very. And unpleasantly. I do not like this. It's like my worst-case scenario. I'm really, really unhappy and stressed at the moment, but not panicking yet, because I still need to talk to my supervisors about how they see my options. Maybe we can do some sort of magical sleight-of-hand thing.

And somehow I need to remind myself that I am a tough b**** and that I will not quit and I will not fail at this.
A dinosaur in a grocery store is not a very pleasant thing!
He marches through the checkout aisles and tramples over everything.
He puts his snoot into the fruit;
his tail wipes out displays.
I'll tell you just what I've observed --
A grocery store is not a place for dinosaurs to play.

(Courtesy of starlooker's mom.)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:29 am

What did the immigration people tell you? Is it about you and Rei (and Wee one) being able to stay in the country?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 am

Extra stress sucks even worse when you have those darn hormones surging in your veins! I hope the immigration stuff works out! I'll be praying for a good outcome!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 am

Yeah, it's about staying in the country. Being a student and all, I'm expected to actually, you know, study. Not take time off for babies. But I feel better after having talked to my supervisors, since they are in my court and will help me wrangle the best situation we can out of it.

Part of the stress was that if I took leave before the actual birth, I'd have to go home. Where I have no doctor (at least no relationship with one), and no midwife. As much as I don't want to leave the country for any reason, I think countinuity of care is a gosh darned good one to stay! We think we can make at least that work, and then they can't well deport us with a newborn who can't fly, so that gives us a window of a month or two to get our act together.

Less stressed, need to talk to Rei about all the various options and how we want to play it.

On the plus side, mommy's little ninja behaved itself today while I was rushing around on my bike, so thank you, Wee Brontosaurus, on behalf of my poor abused bladder.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:07 am

Oy, fingers crossing for some luck to go your way on immigration.

I'll try to be around Monday (all I have to do for sure is some yard work but if I am good, and smart, I'll get that done nice and early). I lost Gmail-AIM access at work because Gmail switched that service up and when I'm on Circ, I'm too busy these days to make any use of the lack of filter.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm

My first attempt at hijacking Ali's thread (well, sharing it, really).

Awesome Things Thus Far About Pregnancy

1. Husband is now totally in charge of cleaning the cat's box and the bathroom (which has no ventilation).

2. Sudden self-esteem boost when I realize that the problems with my bras are not due to me gaining weight (at least, not for no reason).

3. Remember the new bras that became too small for me when I lost weight and so I was annoyed at how they were going to waste? Suddenly useful again!

4. Having someone to talk to at all times. Even though a fairly high proportion of those conversations are, "Stay with me. Please stay with me. I will try so hard to be a good home for you for the next nine months, and will try so hard to give a good home to you after that. So, please, just stay where you are and make yourself comfortable, because I want to know you so badly." However, there have also been fun conversations regarding the cats, Hawaiian pizza, Daddy, chocolate, and stuffed tigers.

5. Sniffing lemons (trying this as a remedy for nausea. It may not help, but it isn't hurting, and due to crazy bloodhound nose, it smells so good.)

6. My doctor, while looking at my chart, asks, "So, you just in for a follow up today?" fully expecting me to say yes. I say, "Well, actually, I think I'm pregnant." He looked up extremely quickly. He was just so completely startled, with his eyes just so huge, that it was all I could do not to laugh! It was really, really cute.

And, thank God, he was willing to listen to my point of view of why I think going off of antidepressants is a higher risk than staying on. I know that there's a small risk if I stay on, but I also know exactly how depressed I have been before, I know how badly I reacted when I had to go off of them due to problems with insurance recently, and I also know my body is extremely sensitive to hormone changes. So, I know the risks to both our health are pretty damn high if I do not take them.

7. Donny and I talking at my midsection about what kind of parents we're going to be and having the realization at the exact same time that we can get a baby Raiders jersey!

8. The two of us reading "Bad Kitty Meets the Baby" outloud.

9. Reading about what's happening in my body this week, and what's going to happen next week, and being so amazed at how all this works. (Little Bit is the size of a poppy seed!)

10. My due date is in late February. Since next year is 2012, I have a fair chance of having a leap year baby!

11. Buying Donny his first Father's Day card.

Things About Pregnancy That I Am Totally Unimpressed With

1. My acne is back. With a vengeance. And I can't take any meds for it, and am a little worried even about using topicals for it.

2. The queasiness on and off throughout the day. Thank God my office has a private bathroom in case it turns to actual vomiting. This will also come in handy for the excess need to pee.

3. Bloodhound nose. I nearly died from the strength of the smell of my body wash in the shower. Also, gassiness my husband emits that I used to think was odorless -- not so much. Like a bullet train going up my nostrils. A bullet train carrying a bunch of sewage. I am working on putting him on Gas-X or somesuch for the duration.

4. The fear of miscarrying. And the fear of something going wrong. And the fear that it will be my fault because of the ADHD and antidepressant meds I take. (I've stepped down the ADHD meds a lot, but am afraid to lose my job without them.)

5. Trying to figure out when/how to tell people at work, both colleagues and clients. Some clients in particular, who have fertility or other issues about babies/motherhood. (Although, I am wondering with amusement how the little boy I explained the birds and bees to is going to react.)

6. Breast pain even worse than the pain I normally associate with PMS. Which was as bad as I thought it could get.

7. Seriously, my breasts are going to keep growing? WTF? I kind of had hoped that since they were so big to start out with, I might get a pass on that one. There should be PLENTY of tissue in there already! NOT FAIR.

8. Being overwhelmed by all the things we're going to need to do in the next eight months.

9... I'm out of stuff, here, I think.

Okay, so far the good is definitely outweighing the inconvenient.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Congrats, I am super-excited for you, Kirsten!!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Good for you for staying on your medications! I completely, completely understand and wholeheartedly support you.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Congrats Kirsten!
The enemy's fly is down.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Groundhogs Day is a great day to have baby, or so I've heard.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

4. Having someone to talk to at all times. Even though a fairly high proportion of those conversations are, "Stay with me. Please stay with me. I will try so hard to be a good home for you for the next nine months, and will try so hard to give a good home to you after that. So, please, just stay where you are and make yourself comfortable, because I want to know you so badly."
Can't stop crying.

Also, so very happy for you!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Kirsten, this news has obviously brought you so much happiness and with it you seem a bit more yourself somehow than in recent months (from the little I can know of you through your posts). I am really overjoyed for you and Donny. You deserve all good things.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Congratulations Kirsten! I'm so happy for you two!

I <3 Pweb babies!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:02 am

2. Sudden self-esteem boost when I realize that the problems with my bras are not due to me gaining weight (at least, not for no reason).

I lost 5-7 pounds in the first trimester, because of nausea and/or decreased appetite. Despite the bra size change.

4. Having someone to talk to at all times. Even though a fairly high proportion of those conversations are, "Stay with me. Please stay with me. I will try so hard to be a good home for you for the next nine months, and will try so hard to give a good home to you after that. So, please, just stay where you are and make yourself comfortable, because I want to know you so badly." However, there have also been fun conversations regarding the cats, Hawaiian pizza, Daddy, chocolate, and stuffed tigers.

I was really, really anxious for the first few months, which is why we didn't say anything. Right now I am counting down the weeks till Wee Brontosaurus "upgrades" (passes quals/ABD). In just over two weeks, I know that even if something bad happens, he'll still be okay. It took a while before I started talking to him, but now instead of talking to myself I tend to talk to him.

6. And, thank God, he was willing to listen to my point of view of why I think going off of antidepressants is a higher risk than staying on. I know that there's a small risk if I stay on, but I also know exactly how depressed I have been before, I know how badly I reacted when I had to go off of them due to problems with insurance recently, and I also know my body is extremely sensitive to hormone changes. So, I know the risks to both our health are pretty damn high if I do not take them.

AMEN to that. I'm being carefully monitored by my doc. We tried decreasing things, which failed, so we're going to think about it again in the last two months or so. But I could not cope right now otherwise, and my baby deserves a functional mommy who's managed to keep her job and get further in school so she can get a good job ASAP.

9. Reading about what's happening in my body this week, and what's going to happen next week, and being so amazed at how all this works. (Little Bit is the size of a poppy seed!)

Still love doing that. I recommend Alphamom, which is the one Jan recommended to me!

10. My due date is in late February. Since next year is 2012, I have a fair chance of having a leap year baby!

There is the faintest chance Rei and I will get a binary day baby. This is a very exciting possibility to me.

11. Buying Donny his first Father's Day card.

I loved wishing Rei a happy father's day today. :)

1. My acne is back. With a vengeance. And I can't take any meds for it, and am a little worried even about using topicals for it.

It might get better. I have had remarkably clear skin recently. The best part of the first trimester is that you get to look forward to unpleasant things stopping. Whereas second trimester and on, you know it's only going to get worse (back pain, etc.).

2. The queasiness on and off throughout the day. Thank God my office has a private bathroom in case it turns to actual vomiting. This will also come in handy for the excess need to pee.

I used ginger gravol (no actual gravol, just ginger, so it's safe), and other ginger-based foodstuffs a LOT. We actually made our own still ginger ale a few times.

4. The fear of miscarrying. And the fear of something going wrong. And the fear that it will be my fault because of the ADHD and antidepressant meds I take. (I've stepped down the ADHD meds a lot, but am afraid to lose my job without them.)

*empathy* That hasn't changed. From what I'm told, it doesn't change even when they have their 20th birthday.

5. Trying to figure out when/how to tell people at work, both colleagues and clients. Some clients in particular, who have fertility or other issues about babies/motherhood. (Although, I am wondering with amusement how the little boy I explained the birds and bees to is going to react.)

I almost threw up telling my supervisors. Hahaha, what a fun day that was. :?

6. Breast pain even worse than the pain I normally associate with PMS. Which was as bad as I thought it could get.

Should improve.

7. Seriously, my breasts are going to keep growing? WTF? I kind of had hoped that since they were so big to start out with, I might get a pass on that one. There should be PLENTY of tissue in there already! NOT FAIR.

AUGH.

8. Being overwhelmed by all the things we're going to need to do in the next eight months.

AUGH. AUGH.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:50 am

P.S. Something I was glad to know is that it's normal to spot a bit in the first trimester, especially when you might have had a period. Don't freak out, but if you're concerned, call the doc anyway, because they are happy to check and settle your fears.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:45 am

P.S. Something I was glad to know is that it's normal to spot a bit in the first trimester, especially when you might have had a period. Don't freak out, but if you're concerned, call the doc anyway, because they are happy to check and settle your fears.
Good tip, Ali! My mom had a monthly flow like a period the first five months of her pregnancy with me, and I was fine!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks, everyone, for all the congrats and support.

Somewhat oddly, seeing that you were crying, Kelly, made me all teary off and on throughout the night. Which was probably good, in a way that's hard to explain fully. Short version is, I'm feeling more at peace with whatever happens, feeling more trustful of my God, my baby, and my body.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 pm

I love that Pweb found out third and I can't wait to see the ultrasounds.

Congratulations to you and D. Also, I will be expecting you to make up little rhymes like your mom did for you and your brother. It only seems fair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:06 pm

I love that Pweb found out third and I can't wait to see the ultrasounds.

Congratulations to you and D. Also, I will be expecting you to make up little rhymes like your mom did for you and your brother. It only seems fair.
Dang it! Where is my pweb stamp of approval?

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am

Yesterday Rei made a heroic trip out to pick up a microwave steriliser and breast pump from a freecycle donator, and today we picked up a bag of newborn-sized bottles. And now we can totally sterilise it all!

I plan to breastfeed, but a) I'd like a day off now and then and b) dads are already at such a disadvantage when it comes to "bonding time", it just seems nice to let them have a chance to feed and sooth Baby as well.

*pulls out Steph's arm and stamps a big ol' stamp on it*

Approved.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am

newborn-sized bottles

dads..."bonding time"

let them have a chance to feed

Old Papa Bear isn't going to feed on the child, right? This talk of the bottle being sized for a newborn is scaring me a bit, I have to say.

Don't go the way of the Irish!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 am

I hope you got one of these:
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:22 pm

That... is disturbing enough to me, Syphon, that I'm considering deleting it.

Kudos.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Given that the image is from, more or less, a family movie and not really offensive as far as I'm concerned, I'd be upset if it were deleted.

I'd be less upset with asking him to change it from an image to a URL.

I'd be not at all upset if it were allowed to stay, as is, since it is not porn and is not being used to be hurtful/harmful.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Given that the image is from, more or less, a family movie and not really offensive as far as I'm concerned, I'd be upset if it were deleted.

I'd be less upset with asking him to change it from an image to a URL.

I'd be not at all upset if it were allowed to stay, as is, since it is not porn and is not being used to be hurtful/harmful.
I agree and I'm usually pretty conservative/sensitive to such things.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:47 pm

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Aw, geez, no one even thought to look for invisi-text? I thought you'll knew me better than that. :(

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Aw, geez, no one even thought to look for invisi-text? I thought you'll knew me better than that. :(
I saw it. I assumed it was there because the big space under the text that was visible.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:57 pm

I didn't see the invisi-text, but I was surprised that everyone thought you were actually considering deleting it!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:58 pm

I read it (as, I assume, did others, given the huge gap in the post). But the "kudos" doesn't really seem to specifically contradict the previous statement.

If I could, I'd tell my clients "You just lost us the case. Kudos."

ETA: You all saw her repressing me, right?! You saw it!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:01 pm

To be honest, I didn't see it and even if I had, I'm not sure what I would have made of it because of the comment about thread-locking in the Meta thread. To see so little (read: none) mod action in the time between last July and now, then to see the Meta comment made me think maybe things were tightening up.

Things still feel a bit tense for me. I'm sorry.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Does the mod hammer look like Thor's?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”