Brontosaurus Lays an Egg

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Re: Brontosaurus Lays an Egg

Postby Rei » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Just because people here may have an interest: Baby Nom-nom: The Life and Times of Naomi Rose.

Also, another nickname missing from EL's list is "Child".
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:43 pm

people here may have an interest
Err, that's a joke, right? Ali, he's joking, right?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 pm

It's official, Pwebbers have the cutest kids! She's so adorable it hurts!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Adorable!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Sweet, sweet baby.

I'm grateful you mostly still let me lie on my belly at night. And I was SO happy to feel that nice series of kicks and thuds and proof that you are getting strong. But, honey, my bladder is not a soccer ball or punching bag or a gym floor mattress. It's really not. Nor is it a button you should press when you feel like being rocked by me getting up and walking to the bathroom.

Love,
Mommy

~~~

I cannot WAIT until I am catering to food demands and pee demands that are OUTSIDE OF ME. I know everyone says that they're easier to care for inside than out, but sometimes I wonder.

I tell Donny that and he laughs and says he's waiting for the day I wish the baby back inside.

Heartburn has gone wild today, too.

Still, though, from a "YAY, BABY!" perspective, the thuddy little symphony in my lower abdomen was nice. :)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm

When is your ultrasound scheduled? It's really soon, I think. And I can't remember, are you going to find out the sex of Little Bit? And are you going to go register anywhere (whether you do find out the sex or not)? I had the pleasure of helping my SIL register for my niece. That was SO much fun; way more fun than my wedding registry.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

I have my ultrasound on Tuesday! I am looking forward to it very much. I got three ultrasounds early on, and then haven't gotten to see Little Bit since then, and am just crazy-excited to SEE baby again, even above finding out the sex.

Yes, we are finding out the sex, and yes, I will tell you! :stoned: My mom and I are betting girl, Donny and his dad are betting boy, and if anyone here wants to weigh in, do it before Tuesday!

We're going to register after we find out, I guess. Donny's California family is REALLY wanting to send us stuff, so probably soon. Not sure where.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm guessing girl!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm guessing girl too. But maybe that's because I assume all babies are girls. :)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:23 pm

I want it to be a boy. Little Nomi needs a Pweb partner.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:25 am

I have my suspicions, but I'm keeping mum. I'll love it, hug it, squeeze it no matter what.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:23 am

Ditto, Helen.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:08 pm

Awww, Helen, I want to know your suspicions!

~~~

Alright, 22 weeks! Official weekly baby report time!

I'm feeling physically pretty well, until I don't. That's the major theme this week. I'm feeling happy, energetic, up and at 'em, even a little bit like skipping. And then I hit the wall and am totally dead on my feet.

For example, we went to the zoo on Friday. Normally, since we have the pass, I just to there to walk for awhile. But we both went, and ended up staying about three hours. PERFECT day. In the 50s in the morning and warmed up to the low 70s. We took it at a good pace, sat and rested at several exhibits, and my abs weren't bugging me the way they were the last time, and I wasn't running out of breath or anything. I was great. I practically RAN to one exhibit. We were laughing and having really good times. And then we hit the African animals section, and I was just about falling over with every step and Donny practically had to carry me out. Ate lunch, went home, and slept for a good three hours, solid.

Apparently Friday was zoo field trip day. Children of all ages, from babies and toddlers to elementary school boys (who went nuts over fake tiger poop) to teenage girls who were exchanging shirts in the bathroom. Oh, kids in groups are scary to me, but I was mostly amused. So weird to think that they were once Little Bit's size. We had one DARLING little girl, I'd guess about four, with blond braided pigtails, come up and talk to us about the tiger. Wanted to know if the tiger actually went swimming in the pond, and I told her she did, I'd actually seen her, and that tigers are the only kind of cats that like to swim. Which led to questions on what other cats there are, anyhow, and why don't they like to swim? And, also, how deep is the pond? (We settled on it being about her height.) And that she'd heard once that one of the boy tigers at the zoo got scared of that storm that could've been a tornado, and how we both were scared of it, too, and so were all the kids in daycare, but it went away without hurting anything, so that's good. And then she wandered off. Possibly my favorite interaction with another person at the zoo, ever.

Today, we went out to run a few errands. Donny had in an awesome CD, full of cheesy booty-shaking music. So, I was car dancing for SERIOUS to Rump Shaker. I made him laugh so hard dancing to Tootsie Roll. (I have decided we are singing these songs to baby, with some appropriate lyrical substitution.) Etc. Went, wandered around Blockbuster, back to the car, more car dancing. Went to the pet store just to look, and ended up being handed puppies to play with, so that was fun. Went over to Wal-Mart, and stood on the Dr. Scholl's thingy (guess what? My excess weight is putting a lot of pressure on my feet. Wow, I'm glad I stood on a little foot-analysis pad to learn that!). Bought cat food and wandered in the Christmas department. Bought supplies for Halloween costumes. And then. My stomach started to hurt and my brain started to hurt and my legs started to turn to jello. And I came home and have barely moved since and am yawning CONSTANTLY. Hit that wall HARD.

How on EARTH do people do this when they already have children they have to chase around?

Also, advice on heartburn. Do NOT buy Assorted Berry Tums, at least, if you like to pretend that Tums aren't medicine. Because these taste like medicine. The YUCKY medicine that your parents' practically had to force down your throat because YUCK.

Just a few more days until Ultrasound Day!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 am

Berry Tums are nasty! I've got two bottles of the crap that I'm probably going to throw away because I can't stand them. Tropical fruit, on the other hand, are candy. Peppermint is good too.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:04 am

Josh -- YES to the tropical fruit! I don't know why I didn't just stick with that.
~~~

I had weird, weird, weird pregnancy dreams last night. Well, one very convoluted dream. I dreamed that I had somehow managed to get pregnant again, three months after I got pregnant the first time, so I actually had two babies developing inside of me on different schedules. And, so, after laboring with the first one, I'd get to deliver a second, three months later. Not to mention how HUGE I was going to be at nine months, as I'd also have a six-month old fetus inside of me. I was actually pretty happy about this, but also somewhat nervous, especially after it dawned on me that, medically, that wasn't supposed to be possible. (Someone had asked me why I hadn't used birth control after getting pregnant the first time, which is when I realized, "OH. This is WEIRD.)

So, given this, I was pretty damn eager to get to my ultrasound.

Oh, also, I had some kind of social services case manager meeting me for a court appointment, and also, randomly, there were a bunch of graduate school classes I'd forgotten I'd signed up for and was, hence, failing. Found all this out the same day as the ultrasound.

Anyhow, get to the doctor's office, and I have a bunch of paperwork I have to fill out. The questions were very strange. There were questions about Hatrack (not Pweb), my favorite TV shows and movies, trivia questions about Buffy, and questions about my opinions of Joss Wheden's work as a whole.

Meanwhile, I was getting antsy, because out of the corner of my eye, people were starting to act really weird. Basically like evil robots. My dream had a sort of aside, where I was climbing up and down ladders while wearing high heels and watching these people being conditioned and trained in a sort of Matrix-plugged in environment to protect humanity. Except some kind of evil person had gotten in charge and changed everything, so they were learning all about being cruel to people.

Back to the doctor's office. More and more of these evil soldier things were in the doctor's office. They are starting to attack some people/pull them out of the office. One of the soldiers, who hadn't been corrupted, was explaining to me how to tell who the evil ones are and how to get away. I have to go up to the third floor, and I refuse to leave the office because, damnit, I am growing two babies, one of whom is supposed to be medically impossible, and I need my ultrasound. (The office staff seems entirely unphased by the evil soldier people-robots.) I nearly get trapped in the elevator. It's this futuristic elevator, and that's supposed to be impossible, but the door opens and shuts so quickly, I am nearly stuck inside. But I hold the elevator door and push it as hard as I can. I barely manage to squeeze out. I go to check in at the third floor desk, and in my way are these weird mime-clown type people, doing some kind of weird synchronized dance/walking thing. Sort of flash-mobby. Everyone is walking towards me, and I am pushing against flash-mob dancing traffic to try to get to the desk. I finally manage to get there, give them my paperwork, and have a seat. I am anxiously waiting to be called back, and that's when Donny came to wake me up.

Weirdest, most vivid dream to date.
~~~

I was watching an episode of Too Cute! on Animal Planet this morning. They were following a Golden Retriever litter, and they showed the mommy dog playing with her puppies. She looked like she was having SO much fun and like there was nowhere she'd rather be but having a blast with her puppies. And, man, I hope I can enjoy motherhood like that, at least, some of the time.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:16 am

Oh man, Kirsten. Lay off the spicy foods. :P
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:50 am

That is the most awesome "weird" dream I've ever read. So many details! How did you remember them all? Geeze!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm

I don't know how I remembered all of that. I just have these vivid, detailed dreams that stick with me sometimes. They're almost semi-lucid. Actually, it's driving me a bit batty how much I'm sure I forgot about that dream.
~~~

Bikini-maintenance update: While my newfound shaving position still remains useful, it is clear that it will not be tenable for much longer. Tonight, attempted to tuck boob away by holding it under my chin. Much fail. Laughed at myself quite a bit. If I ever write a screenplay on the pregnancy experience, that scene will be included. (Here's something I love about myself: When it didn't work on the right side, I still had to try on the left. Just in case.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Double Post

Spent a couple of hours today sorting winter/fall clothes into three piles: Can Still Wear, Can't Wear But Will Someday, and Get Rid of Altogether.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how many clothes have been falling into the "Can Still Wear" pile. I tend to buy a little large, and a ton of my winter/fall clothes are stretchy knit shirts/sweaters that I wear over camisoles/t-shirts, etc. If you're planning to reproduce in the near or semi-near future, consider this a shopping tip.

Pants are another matter. Pretty sure my legs/butt are gaining some weight, and even if they aren't, the waistline is obviously not working so well. Even with the Bella band, they just aren't comfortable. I have a skirt I really need to find a particular shirt for, but it fits nicely, still.

I have quite a pile of Get Rid of Altogether. Am planning on trying to use most of these to use in sewing projects, practicing with the new machine, embroidering on, etc.

Donny made a terribly stupid, stupid comment to me awhile back about a mini-skirt that I bought mainly for him and haven't worn in awhile. He didn't mean it to come out the way it did. I'm sure he was trying to be cute about it. (I know him well enough to know he would never deliberately say something to hurt my feelings.) But, oh, man, was I not happy. So, I got to act like a typical weight-neurotic woman for awhile, and he learned a valuable lesson in Things Not to Say to Your Wife. Anyhow, it turns out, damnit, I can still get it on -- I just have to hike the waist up a whole awful lot and wouldn't want to wear it for more than five minutes or so. I told him so, and we both got a laugh out of it.

Oh my gosh, I hope I really can wear my Can't Wear but Will Someday pile again. Particularly the blue jeans. The ones I bought when I lost some weight awhile back. They have a lot of wear in them still, and, yeah. It's a body-image thing.

I'm trying not to be too distressed about the amount of weight I'm gaining. Still, tonight made me wonder more than I have in awhile what the permanent physical changes to my body are going to be. Stretch marks I can handle. I have lived for years with and made peace with having so many permanent scars in so many places that the possibility of more really doesn't bother me. Especially knowing that they'll differ so much in a qualitative sense from my other scars -- they're going to be created by me doing something positive and creative instead of desperate and destructive. So, I'm confident in my ability to deal with those. If I've made my peace with the others, surely I can handle these.

The weight thing, though -- I was so uncomfortable with my hips already. Before this. And they're going to widen. Moreover, though, I was finally at a place where I was more or less at peace with my size. However, it was the at the top of the at-peace range, and I'm trying to tell myself that I'll lose the weight post-baby, there will be time, etc., but now and then this worry flares. Also, I'm so self-conscious about my face right now. The weight I've gained, my chin, and, on top of it, the ridiculous, horrible acne. At least I'll be able to start medicating that part away post-pregnancy.

I know, I know. Eat healthy, stay active, and focus on having a healthy baby. I really need to work harder at the first two things on that list, though. They're really hard for me.

It's also probably better to focus on the big pile of clothes that I can still wear and that still look decent. I'm not thinking they'll last for the rest of the pregnancy, but they should give me a few weeks of use, at least.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:07 am

Talk about a blow to your body image...I gave some clothes that I had outgrown to a friend. Well, she is now around 10 weeks pregnant and she just started wearing them because they finally fit her (she got big enough for them). My too small clothes are her maternity clothes. Sigh.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 am

She must be tiny, Nom. You looked great in that pic you posted awhile back. :)
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks, she is ridiculously small. She was 120-some pounds when she gave birth to her first child. Insanity.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:45 pm

about a mini-skirt that I bought mainly for him
Now, I don't know you two in meatspace or anything, but I'd assume it probably looks better on you than him.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:42 am

;)

:lol:

ETA: Just a few more hours and we'll know the sex! Accepting last minute wagers now!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:58 pm

It's A Boy!
Donny is over the moon thrilled. Oh my gosh. He is just so, so cute right now. He wants a daughter, someday, too, but I know he really wanted to have at least one son. And imagining him with a little boy is just pretty much perfect. He told me, "I told you so!" but swore he'd only do it once. It took a little while for me to make the mental adjustment, but I'm very happy! I keep thinking about all the awesome little boys I've known, and then I get very excited.

We've decided to tell our family the name (Donny is practically bursting with it). My mom took a little while, but I think she loves it. My brother was very straightforward and informed me he had serious reservations about the name. We're expecting some of that, and to most people we will probably say something along the lines of, "Thanks for your input; however, we're happy with the name we've chosen." To my little brother, however, I said, "Shut up. I named YOU, didn't I?" "Yes, but you gave me a nice, normal name." "This is a normal name! Just trust us. We know." "I have concerns about it." "I don't care."

More evidence of our normal sibling relationship.

In other news, Little Bit is totally healthy. Weighs one pound, two ounces. They measured his head, brain, arms, legs, torso, etc. He has fluid in his abdomen, which means his kidneys are working. (Do you KNOW how nice it is to be able to type "his" without having to rethink how to word the sentence?) Everything is perfectly fine and normal and on-target and that's the real news, when you think about it. Healthy mommy and healthy baby. Got my flu shot today, as well. Trying to keep us all healthy.

The woman who did the ultrasound kind of sped through it, and since she was looking for particular anatomy parts, the pictures aren't quite as easy for me to figure out as past ones have been. He had his hand over his face most of the time. The pictures of the feet, though, were just perfect and sweet and so amazing and foot-like! I'll scan and post later.

It's funny. They warm up the gel for the ultrasound here. She must've just taken it out of the microwave. I've heard women complain about it being cold before, but for me, too hot! Owie!

I can't wait until my doctor is back from her maternity leave. Mostly, I missed her nurse, who I love. This nurse was nice and all, but I'd have had so much fun sharing the news with my nurse. Oh, we're sharing with everyone, though. The lady at Wal-Mart who gave Donny his flu-shot, the lady at Michaels, the apartment lady who rubbed my belly a few weeks ago -- it's exciting!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Yay!!! Oh my goodness, so exciting. Pweb needs some more boy babies. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:frolic:
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Yay!!! I should have known, i'm ALWAYS wrong!!!

This is so exciting, and i'm SO curious over the name!

:love:

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:20 pm

The breeding project is back on track.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Yay! Congrats!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:30 pm

:frolic:

YAY!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Yay!!!

Victory dance! :dance:

Love it when I'm right. =]
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Wait...so we don't get to know the name???

Congratulations!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Alright, I am revealing the name. However, by reading the name and/or its associated story, you are hereby please, please, please agreeing that you will not criticize it, get me to try to change my mind, or cast any doubts/aspersions on it. Pretend it's already on the birth certificate. Please. If you can't do that (or you want to be surprised), don't read further.

My baby boy's name is going to be Atticus Nyle.

Here's why:

First name (yeah, most of the story is spoilered, has to be that way): Atticus -- not exactly for To Kill a Mockingbird. Or, well, in a roundabout way. On our first fancy date, we went to The Bronze Boot in Grand Forks. (Fancier than it sounds.) Anyhow, next to our table was this little wooden duck statue. While we were talking, we got into a really fun conversation about the duck, where it came from, how it ended up here, etc. Donny named the duck Atticus, actually after a character in an adventure novel (Atticus Kodiak). The character in the adventure novel was named for TKAM. However, our baby is really named after a whimsical, fun moment early in our courtship.

Middle name: Nyle is for my grandfather. It was actually Donny's idea. He really liked Donny and made him feel very welcome to the family. So much so. His hearing was bad, and we were at a family party with tons of hubbub, so he'd ask me questions about Donny, and I'd write down the answers for him. The second time they met was when Donny met my parents. Grandpa pulled Donny to the side and pretty well welcomed him to the family. He liked to tease me about kissing Donny :) He was happy in his own marriage, and loved to see his grandchildren pairing off. And if he were here, no one would be more excited about our baby boy.

In my mind, though, he's still Little Bit just as often.

Baby pictures!

Image Image
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Baby! Little Bit actually looks more human than dinosaur/shrimp--that's a major step in fetal development.

My cousin's baby has that same first name. I like it.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:06 pm

I LOVE the story behind both names!!!

:love:

Adorable : )

Return to “Milagre Town Square”