Night Time is the Right Time (Or, when do you shower?)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Night Time is the Right Time (Or, when do you shower?)

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:46 am

Have I asked this before? At what point in the day do you take your shower?

I grew up as a morning shower person but about three years ago, when I was living with my dad, we discussed the merits of night showers and I have taken them at night ever since.

Namely, if you shower in the morning, you're spending the day getting increasingly dirty and then you sleep dirty, which also dirties your sheets faster than is necessary. Shower at night, on the other hand, and you're washing off the day's dirt before climbing into bed and you're still going to be clean in the morning.

Also, I've found the water helps calm me down before bedtime.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 pm

I would prefer to shower at night but when my hair is shortish, going to bed with wet hair makes me wake up with CRAZY hair. So, I usually shower sometime during the day but not necessarily in the morning. Just early enough for my hair to dry before bedtime.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 pm

In high school I always took showers at night because the shower schedule in the morning was just too crazy at my house and I take LONG showers (in my defense, I have more hair than just about anyone, ever, and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to wash it).

Now, though, I prefer to shower in the morning. I HATE going to bed with wet hair, and I find that taking a shower in the morning really helps wake me up. My hair, sadly, cannot survive a night on the pillow without looking horrid, so it suits my vanity to shower in the morning as well. I'll shower at night if I've had a particularly sweaty/dirty day (after working out or swimming or if it is very, very hot). But usually morning showers, for sure.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Night time. I can't lay in my bed unclean. That's just wrong.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Right after I work out. Depends if I work out in the morning or after work.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Well, see, boys are gross and smell bad. Girls can shower in the morning and still be clean and smell good at night. It's true!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 pm

If I could live without showering, that would be ideal. I just don't relish the process, though I'm a big fan of the results.

I tend to shower in the morning about half the week and in the evenings about half the week. This depends on when I go to the gym, mostly. I shower in the mornings on days that I'm going to school but did not shower the previous evening. I shower in the evenings on days that I go to the gym or dog park.
-Kim

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:02 pm

It depends on when everyone else wants to use the bathroom and to a lesser degree which shift I'm working. Generally, though, I usually take showers in the evening or afternoon since my brothers dominate the bathroom in the morning.
The enemy's fly is down.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:25 pm

I take a shower every morning. I can't wake up without it, really, and my hair always (to me) feels as greasy as Snape's in the morning, regardless of when I took a shower last, so morning showers are pretty much mandated. During the summer and on days that I work out (and after every practice back when I was playing football), I generally take 2 showers: one to wake up and another after working out/winding down the day's activities. There are times when I've taken 4 or more showers a day, which seems excessive.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Morning. I like going to bed clean, but I rarely feel gross enough that it bugs me. If it does, I'll probably have a quick shower, but I'll still shower in the morning. It helps me wake up.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Well, see, boys are gross and smell bad. Girls can shower in the morning and still be clean and smell good at night. It's true!
<3

For my part, I generally shower in the morning.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Night shower. A. I don't own a hair dryer, B. I like feeling clean after working out. However, I find I like my hair best when it hasn't been washed in 18+ hours, which is a weird quantification, but its true.

Also, I'm a bit of a hippie and sometimes only bathe when I know I'm leaving the house. True story.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Morning showers. When I was young I would do night showers, then when I got to middle school I started doing morning showers mostly to mix it up. Now it's such a part of my routine, especially to help me warm up, that I take another shower in the morning if, for whatever reason, I take a night one. Plus there's that part of me that loves loves loves loves loves routines so much that I actually feel very anxious about doing something that affects my entire day like that at a different time than previously scheduled.

Hmm, that's a good submission for the "afraid of" thread.

This last summer without AC, though, I would take cold showers every afternoon, especially after running. Felt sooooo goooood and didn't count as a real shower.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm

On days I work I almost always take my showers 45 minutes before I have to leave. Some days that can be as late at 2ish if I don't have anything planned. I hate dealing with my wet hair, and I hardly ever take showers at night because I can't sleep with wet hair.

Up until high school I use to take my showers at night just because I HATED getting up at 5 and would sleep as long as possible. I'm not sure what changed but freshman year I started taking them in the morning, and that's when I really started to use a blow dryer.

Baths on the other hand, I take those whenever I feel like it. I love baths <3
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Morning. I'm not really awake until I take one (well, I'm never really awake until noon no matter what, but the shower helps).

To be honest, showering regularly at night isn't even something I had heard of until... high school or college, I think. The only people I know in meatspace that did that (that I know of) were asian. I'd rather be cleanest when I'm awake and can notice it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 am

I loathe having to take night showers. It has to be morning showers. I don't feel like myself until I shower. I took a night shower last night and I feel gross right now.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 am

I work out early in the morning before work, so Monday through Friday I shower at about 8:30 at the gym. I don't usually shower Saturday or Sunday. :|

Edit: but I did take a long bath with epsom salts the other day. Felt good.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:36 pm

I take night showers. If I had to shower in the morning, I'd have to get up at 5 just to have time to dry my hair. Even when it's short it takes a really long time to blow dry, it's ridiculous.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:57 pm

I usually take showers at night. My hair dries really poofy when I shower in the morning. Sometimes sleeping on wet hair does make it go a little crazy, but it's a little easier to remedy. Plus, I like sleeping in as late as I can.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

I take showers whenever the heck I can find time to do such a thing, which is NOT often enough. It was weird being on vacations without the kids and actually showering every day.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm

i shower in the morning. while i enjoy the feeling of going to bed after showering, i have to shower in the morning to wake up, and i feel scuzzy if i don't i mean, you sweat in your sleep, and unless you change your sheets literally every day, you're sleeping in past sweat... kinda nasty if you think of it.
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm

A lot less nasty than sleeping in a day's worth of sweat and grime from the outside world PLUS the sleep sweat of your unwashed body, if you ask me. Human sweat is actually pretty clean and even mostly odourless if the skin it's coming out of is clean.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm

If I could live without showering, that would be ideal. I just don't relish the process, though I'm a big fan of the results.
Yes! Me too.

I shower either in the morning, or during naptime. :)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Even though you go to bed "clean", you still produce insane amounts of oil, sweat, and skin debris and unless you wash your sheets every day you end up rolling around in that all night, each consecutive night.

Thus, the best time to shower is in the morning.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:09 pm

I forgot to note that I shower in the morning, but I love a long late-night bath!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri May 13, 2011 5:55 pm

As I understand it, the right time to shower is whenever you can pass off the child to someone else to watch for ten minutes.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 pm

As I understand it, the right time to shower is whenever you can pass off the child to someone else to watch for ten minutes.
Nnngggghhhhhhhh.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Re: Night Time is the Right Time (Or, when do you shower?)

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm interested how your shower schedules will change when Little Naomi get home.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 am

I love to shower at night and get into bed all clean. However, I am a very oily person, and I get really awful bed head too, so when I wake up in the morning I have to take a shower before I go out, often even if I'm just staying in. Since I don't really like taking two showers a day every day I just do it in the morning.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:52 pm

I like to shower at night and get into bed clean, also. But some days, if I haven't done much during the day, I'll shower in the morning or at other times of the day.

I used to shower in the morning, but got in the habit of night showers when I lived overseas and there was only hot water and heat at night. In winter time, I would wait for the heat to go on, take the hottest shower I could stand, and get into bed all nice and warm. (Otherwise, it would take me hours to warm up enough to go to sleep.)
Pweb member since 2000

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:06 pm

On topic, I shower at night now. I used to shower in the morning, but now I like to wash off the hospital smell before I sleep.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:45 pm

On topic, I shower at night now. I used to shower in the morning, but now I like to wash off the hospital smell before I sleep.
Well, yeah, working in a hospital is another reason I got in the habit of showering at night. More because I didn't want to bring home hospital germs to my kids.
Pweb member since 2000

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Showering at night wakes me up. This is why showers happen in the morning, it's like coffee. makes you alert. Plus, I'm paranoid that if I go to bed with a wet head I will wake up with a stuffy nose and cold by the end of the day.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:18 am

I like to shower at night and get into bed clean, also.
Do people consider their bed a clean place? I think my bed is clean for exactly one night after I change the sheets and then won't be clean until the sheets are clean again. I mean I sweat and drool in my sleep. Occasionally, there are other going ons that happen in there. The notion of showering at night and still waking up clean are foreign to me.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:46 am

I'm a stinky bastard! Showers anytime and all times :monkey:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”