Farewell Discovery!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Farewell Discovery!

Postby Olhado_ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 pm

This may be news to some of you, for good-riddance or sorrow; but today Space Shuttle Discovery (OV-103) logged its last of 39 Flights. Throughout its lifetime it traveled 148,221,675 miles and spent 365 days in space, where it orbited the Earth 5,830 times

Because of the above Space Shuttle Discovery has earned the title of workhorse, where it has carried 194 astronauts and participated in noteworthy missions, like deploying the Hubble Telescope. It was also the first shuttle to be piloted by the first female pilot (1995) and the first African American pilot (1989). It was also the first to transport the first Russian cosmonaut, as well as returned the first American in Space - John Glenn (1998).

And, then when NASA tragically lost Space Shuttle Challenger (OV-099) and Space Shuttle Columbia (OV-102), Space Shuttle Discovery was the first to valiantly return to orbit. And through all this and up until its very last "Wheels Stop" Discovery has functioned beautiful. It was a beautiful vehicle, with so much potential left; but now Space Shuttle Discovery will lead the way again, by being the first to retire.

It is a bitter-sweet moment for me and one that I wanted to share, with all of you.

Godspeed Discovery!

Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

isn't it going to the smithsonian or something like that?

anyway, shuttles are old, and we're in need of new ways to get to space. hopefully the whole private company idea will get our astronauts into space faster and safer and cheaper. even if it takes awhile. and even if manned space flight is somewhat on hold, i would like to see more unmanned space exploration.

so yeah. i congratulate discovery on an impressive career and happy retirement, but here's to the future!
Ubernaustrum

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 pm

The Museum of Flight is trying to get the bid on one of them. I guess they're sure to get one since they just broke ground on the big glass case for it. They also secured a replica of interior used by NASA for training.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 am

Somewhere in a box in my parents' house I have a small plastic model of Discovery. I'm a little sad to see an end, even if it is appropriate.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:29 pm

It's sad but all great aircraft run out of total airframe hrs. :cry:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”