musical instruments??

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

do you play an instrument?

no
23%
not very well
23%
yes,1
23%
yes,2
5%
yes,3
18%
yes, 4 or more
9%

Total votes: 22

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

musical instruments??

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 pm

who all here plays a musical instrument? yes, the jaw harp counts!! I personally play violin, and a little if each of the following:
drums
guitar
piano
and soon the cello!!!!
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:23 pm

I can sight-read simple-to-intermediate piano songs, but a lack of a printer has prevented me from branching out further than a simplified Disney collection. I took lessons for almost all of elementary school. I also played the flute in middle school, but can hardly remember how to play and it's badly in need of a tune-up and polishing.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:12 pm

that's cool. And honestly I probably would be considered a poor piano player because I don't use the correct fingers but other wise I'm pretty good. also, I almost picked up flute instead of violin, but I'm very glad for my decision. :)
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 pm

I played the trumpet for 8 years but haven't played in so long, a C Major scale is the only thing I can still kind of play. Also, my trumpet is:
badly in need of a tune-up and polishing.
More or less. I need valve oil, specifically but it needs some serious cleaning and once that's done, I'll need to tune it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 pm

guitar, bass, harmonica.

and just enough drums and keyboards to be able to write and record music.

also can pick up and play the mandolin and banjo poorly.

and singing...

man i miss being in a band.

would like to play a lute sometime. and actually LEARN the drums and piano.

maybe i'll just build a lute. can be too much different than building acoustic guitars. but that'll have to wait till after i build a mandolin.
Ubernaustrum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm

i want to learn the trumpet and trombone. my dad has a clarinet that i should clean up and tinker with. and my wife has a flute that i've been meaning to give a go at.

*sigh* so many things to do.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 pm

If you ever want to try the trumpet (seriously and not just saying so), brain, I'd be willing to send mine your way. I have a pretty basic straight mute, I believe two beginner's playbook things, and a s*** load of sheet music (mostly for marching songs). As I said, just needs a good cleaning, valve oil, and then a tuning.

I wouldn't charge anything for it but I would ask that if you ever didn't want it anymore, you sent it back rather then sell it or pass it on.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Marimba.

Not that I've had one to actually play on in a long time, but I do still plan on getting one sometime. And I still practice exercises and some songs etc using the mallets on pillows/couches/floors from time to time, so I could probably still play half-decently if I had one.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:36 am

Bagpipe and keyboard.
Not really well, mind you, but should i pick up the habit again, i won't embarras myself.
Also, i can do some basic stuff with the guitar and the flute.

I used to sing in the school choir before my voice changed >.> now my singing is only required for rain-calling rituals XD

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 am

I used to play the violin back in second grade, but I didn't keep it up. I'm kind of disappointed in myself, but we couldn't afford to buy me one, and I couldn't keep renting. Oh well.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:08 pm

woah woah woah. Did you just say SECOND GRADE?!?! Was this provided by your school?! Or was it private lessons? Oh and brain, I've never been in a band, as in like band band or school band, but I'd really like to start a band band, If you get what I'm saying.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:19 pm

i found the violin to be uncomfortable to play.

when i was a kid in elementary school we had an assembly where the middle school kids came and performed for us, then the teachers came around and asked us what kind of instruments we would like to play in middle school. i really thought it would be awesome to play an upright bass, and/or cello. but the teachers said no. they basically discouraged me to play music.
and my parents couldn't afford for me to learn an instrument anyway.

i really wish i started my music education earlier.
Ubernaustrum

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Tried and want to play the guitar; but I am not very good at it. However, I also have no ear for music, which is probably my biggest problem.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 pm

woah woah woah. Did you just say SECOND GRADE?!?! Was this provided by your school?! Or was it private lessons? Oh and brain, I've never been in a band, as in like band band or school band, but I'd really like to start a band band, If you get what I'm saying.
I've heard the average age to start is 3-4.

Playing the violin is a technical skill which is best started early in life. We believe when the child enters kindergarten is usually the best time to begin violin lessons. However if the child is younger, particularly mature for his/her age and has strong parental support they may begin earlier.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 pm

I took piano lessons for 10 years, but it was never my forte. (Haha, get it?) I was in choir and musicals throughout high school and participated in choir at church in college (which is where Brian and I met) and until I got married.

I was very happy to marry such an excellent pianist. Brian is AMAZING and can play pretty much anything. He was the pianist for primary (children's program at church) for 3 years. The kids loved having him in there because he jazzed up the music and he would play improv background music for the lessons, games and skits. When we moved into our house, there was one wall that I wouldn't let anything be put on until we got a piano. It was my piano wall! I'm very happy to have a piano there. On top of piano, he is an excellent singer. He has a wonderful bass voice and was in All State Choir both years in high school. He has participated in and been the head of many barbershop and a capella groups, as well as a musical production or 2 in the last several years. Once he is on a schedule where he isn't working evening or nights, he hoping to be able to audition for more shows. He also played the tuba in high school.

On saturday, my mom and I took the kids to a Musical Zoo. The kids got to touch and play all the instruments in an orchestra. Tyler took it very seriously! He like the cello, bassoon, tuba and french horn the best. After the petting zoo part was over, we all gathered for a performance of Peter and the Wolf. It was such a fun activity and they've been talking about it almost constantly since. I'm so glad to see the spark of music love in them that is so much a part of both mine and Brian's families.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 pm

I play piano and trombone. Ive played the piano for 4 years and the trombone for 2.

I have a friend my age who could be my teacher. He gets payed to play for the city's symphony. Right now he is playing university level songs. Basically hes a pain in the ass to my schools music teacher because he knows more then her and corrects her at every turn.

On a separate note he is an ace attorney player and is a member of a few forums. He tried to join this forum to see what it is about but he has not read the book and therefore can not because of the question in the sign up process.

He for some reason thinks Enders game is a bad book after reading 2 pages in the middle of the book. But me and my friend both enjoy some Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot)
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

I have a friend my age who could be my teacher. He gets payed to play for the city's symphony. Right now he is playing university level songs. Basically hes a pain in the ass to my schools music teacher because he knows more then her and corrects her at every turn.

He for some reason thinks Enders game is a bad book after reading 2 pages in the middle of the book. But me and my friend both enjoy some Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot)
sounds like me in the top, and my friend in the bottom. she read like the first 20 pages and hated it :/

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 pm

I can play the following songs on the piano-

star wars
darth vader theme song.
Family Guy
Titanic theme song (My Heart will Go On)
Für Elise by Beethoven
Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven
The Entertainer
Happy Birthday
Silent Night
Lullaby
Chopin (Grim Reaper)
Yankee Doodle

Give me a week I'll pretty much have it down :)
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm

I've never been in a band, as in like band band or school band, but I'd really like to start a band band, If you get what I'm saying.
i get ya. from my experience there is nothing quite as cool/tedious/frustrating/rewarding as being in a band. both the best and worst part about being in a band is that there are other people in the band. but the sheer satisfaction of writing your own music and having your band say "awesome, lets learn this" and figure out their parts in the song, and then have it come together... or be playing something random to fill the time, and have them say "ooooh keep doing that" and you just all jam until you have a song.... makes up for anything negative that comes from the band experience. it's been about 3 years since my band broke up, maybe 4, time gets all jumbled. anyway, i miss it. i miss my bandmates and that friendship, i miss the jams, the creativity, the being impossibly loud and bad. and i miss the hanging out at the studio. it was a sanctuary really. a messy, smokey run down sanctuary. i even miss being on stage. a bit anyway.

i wish i knew more musically inclined people. i would start another band.

if i had the time and money, i would actually use what i have and start recording again, and band be damned just play all the parts myself.
Ubernaustrum

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 am

I studied piano for a few years in elementary school, although never did exercise enough to pursue it. Through most of high school I played alto saxophone in band and then in the jazz band as well. Towards the end, I played alto sax in jazz and bass clarinet concert band. Since then, I've not much played either, although I keep meaning to tinker a bit on the clarinet. I also am apt to pick up a guitar when there is one around and play the few chords I remember. Currently I am singing in an amateur choir, though, as that is affordable and it at least gets me doing something musical. So yes, if it has a reed (just one, mind) I can probably play it haphazardly, at least enough to get a shaky scale. Otherwise, I can sing half-decently.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 am

Have I ever told you lot how I "cheated" at the trombone in grade six?

The girl who sat next to me was really good at trombone, so I tilted my horn so I could see her reflection, and I would just copy her slide position and play really, really quietly.

Needless to say, I did not play in grade seven.

I am decidedly unmusical. I like singing, but I don't do it well.

Paul, on the other hand, makes up for all my lack of musical ability. He plays the guitar, violin, flute, piano and penny whistle.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

I played flute for a couple years in middle school. The only reason that I didn't continue in high school is that I didn't have room in my schedule. I still have my flute and pull it out to practice once in awhile. I am decent at it but by no means proficient.

I love to sing. I was in chorus in school and the extracurricular chorus that you had to try out for. I'm not professional caliber but I am decent.

My parents both went to college for music; my dad for piano and my mom for voice. So, I grew up around a lot of music. We would stand around the piano singing disney songs and songs from church. My parents also performed together at weddings and restaurants, so I would listen to them practice all kinds of 80s duets. They are some good memories for me.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 pm

woah woah woah. Did you just say SECOND GRADE?!?! Was this provided by your school?! Or was it private lessons?
It was band class in elementary school.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

The girl who sat next to me was really good at trombone, so I tilted my horn so I could see her reflection, and I would just copy her slide position and play really, really quietly.
I was not that smart, I only did half of that, by playing very quietly, when I tried both the flute and the clarinet.

And, while I love singing I also absolutely cannot do that either, lets just say I was told to "shut up" during an "Asian" Karaoke Party. :)

BTW, I realize how un-PC that statement is...
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm really excited because I'm getting a cello over spring break :D oh and p.s. anyone who has any music for treble clef can you possibly post it here? I'd really enjoy some more music, as in my current school orchestra I am not really very challenged..... at all. and brain, would you mind me possibly listening to some of your recordings??? I like listening to really music that isn't lady gaga or Taylor swift crap( no offense to followers)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

perhaps sometime.

would have been easier when the band website was still up. now that we're broken up, not too sure about putting that music out there for people.
Ubernaustrum

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:15 pm

I understand, my dad is the same way

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:39 pm

playin zee violeen now

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm

I played alto sax for a year in 4th grade. My grandma played the piano and she even remembered how to play even when she was far along with Alzheimer's. I've been wanting to pick up and learn an instrument lately, but I doubt anything will come of it.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 pm

awh, you should pursue it. You will be grateful you did. speaking of music, just got done at my mass orchestra concert (6-12 grades) and did ahmazing!!:D

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

I know I should. Right now I'm trying to sell some stuff so I get an instrument

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 am

cool. you should try an orchestra instrument this time.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 am

I played piano for several years when I was young, but never practiced enough to be proficient. I miss it though, and would love to take it up again.

I studied voice for most of my life. I love, love, love to sing and strongly considered making a career of it before taking a different path.

I was in a band when I was younger and dabbled a little in songwriting (though with only two exceptions the majority of my efforts would have been best left undone!). Really, I'm a vocalist and ought to leave it at that.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Haven
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Haven » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:27 pm

I play the piano, the harp (a concert grant, not a mini), and the guitar... though I'm not very good at any of them. I've only had a few months of lessons in any of them, and no real lessons in guitar. My family is just very musically talented...

I played the harp in my orchestra in high school and every year my cousins and I played in an old folks home for a christmas thing... I can read and transpose music between my instruments but I can't sight read. And I just got a guitar for my last birthday and can play a few songs...

Basically I know if I could make myself practice I would be amazing lol but I only ever play for fun... Don't hate me.
Find out who you are... And do it on purpose.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

cool. you should try an orchestra instrument this time.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”