musical instruments??

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

do you play an instrument?

no
23%
not very well
23%
yes,1
23%
yes,2
5%
yes,3
18%
yes, 4 or more
9%

Total votes: 22

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:01 pm

I took piano lessons from kindergarten through my senior year of high school. We had an upright piano in the home since I was about one, and apparently around the age of three my mother started noticing that her baby girl had bruises all over the back of her hand for no apparent reason. Turned out it was from my performing glissandi so frequently on the piano with the back of my hand :) I asked for lessons in kindergarten and went faithfully 1-2 times a week for 12 years. No matter what our financial state or where we lived, my parents had me keep up with it.

However, I would never describe myself as proficient at it. I love playing piano, and cannot wait to have one of my own, someday. But I cannot accompany others, I cannot sight read at any kind of advanced level, and I cannot improvise.

What I have is a ton of patience, detailed-orientedness, excellent posture and position on the piano keys, the willingness to break down a difficult part and practice it over and over and over again, excellent rhythm (DRILLED into me by my 3rd - 12th grade piano teacher, as I did not have it on my own), and excellent feeling/touch once I have learned a piece. So, I can learn a piece to play for show and it will sound lovely. But the learning is a painstaking process.

I really would like to learn the basics of playing the violin someday. Apparently my great-grandfather not only played the violin, he used to make them. My aunt has an old violin that he made, actually.

ETA: Oh, and another thing I have is really great hands. I can comfortably span an octave and two notes, sometimes three, though it's a lot less comfortable and will sound weaker as a chord. Small, square palm + long fingers.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 pm

I had a piano in the house ever since I was born. My grandma lived upstairs and played it almost daily until the Alzheimer's started to really set in. Out of us four, only one played it at all and it was, afaik as passing interest.

I've been thinking about the violin, but I'll have to research on which to get.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm

if you have any questions, just ask!!!!! :)
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Well, I'm wondering what would be a good one for a starter violin

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Well, deffinately do NOT buy one from a 'convineince' store. I'll think about it and write back.
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm

is there any particular price range you are looking to stay in?

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Well, after I receive a money order I'll have $170, so somewhere in that area would be nice. If some other things pan out, it'll be about $225. Cheaper is better, but not a requirement.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 am

well I'll tell you know that's not gonna leave you in a good place. my first violin for about $500 which it's pretty good sounding but....

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 pm

I really would like to learn the basics of playing the violin someday. Apparently my great-grandfather not only played the violin, he used to make them. My aunt has an old violin that he made, actually..

well, for me violin comes very naturally. an example is how I am playing a solo meant for a sixth year player where I am a 3rd year player.  
the deal with your grand father is amazing. I am quite similar in the fact that my great grandfather played violin and owned a music store. I am having his violin refurbished for myself. also, what's awesome, is my, say, great great great grandfather ( last name greenway) built harps and I believe violins. what I wouldn't give to have one.( I'm OBSSESED with instruments.) here's one he mad, being held at
the national music museum
http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Harps/5728Green ... yHarp.html

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 pm

:D :D :D very very excited, just got cello, and heard that a bow is on the way! cello neck needs repair, but all is well! and ender1, I have not forgotten you, I'm still looking!

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 pm

My primary instrument is the French horn, which I've played for five years. I'm pretty intermediate on trumpet, piano, guitar and marimba as well. I'm basic on tenor sax. I haven't played trumpet in two years and tenor sax in four. I also took a drumming class for two years, but I got really lazy.
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:01 pm

eeeeek! I was getting my violin referbished and it's finally done! will post pics

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:26 pm

So, I still don't play any instruments. But amusing story from the grad student house...

The university emailed us and told us they believe all the college residences should have something cool to bring students together in the common room, like an X-Box or a foosball table, out of the house budget (normally we just have big parties a couple times a year).

Our common room is NOT big enough for any sort of games table, and the house is usually composed of huge nerds, not athletic 18-year-old guys. We do things like visit stately old houses and art galleries for fun. Or garden in the yard. Or play medieval instruments.

Three years ago, the residents of the house got together and bought a second-hand upright piano (part of the reason we have no room for foosball). We're weird like that. But it never got tuned when it moved in, so in response to the university's email, we asked if getting our piano tuned would count, because we'd actually use and enjoy that.

I love my house.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Awesome!! It's so fun to stand around the piano singing. It's one of my family's favorite past times. :)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm

In a previous iteration of the household, people would gather a couple times a month for a "read aloud" afternoon, and take turns with a story. This time round, there's a D&D group. My house is awesome.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 pm

My middle sister and I play the piano, and my baby sister (6 years old) plays the violin and is learning the piano from my other sister. My middle sister and I have played since the second grade, though she is two years younger than me. I'd like to think I'm pretty good and it comes naturally, at least well enough for someone who doesn't practice all that much. I dislike practicing (but I do it anyway), but I love the end product of a song when you've been learning it for a while and finally played it perfect. It's so worth the practicing.

My sisters like to sing and dance, so sometimes they will convince me to accompany them while they perform for my parents' video camera. I used to grudgingly do this, but looking back at the videos, it was pretty cute, and a good experience.

I wanted to play the violin when I first started learning music and notes, but my mom and grandmother convinced me to start out at the piano. I want to learn how to play the guitar or the drums (I'm awesome at Guitar Hero! I know, I know, that doesn't count...) However, I think it's a good thing that I'm learning piano (and staying in practice) cause it's the type of thing I can do the rest of my life. Sort of like golf.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm

i got my violin and it is: DROP. DEAD. GORGEOUS!!!!! so happy!!will post pics asap

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:40 am

If I had my clarinet here, I would totally try my hand at busking. Alas, it is well too far away, right now.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Okay so I ha this really hard solo, La Folia, and I got a rating of 1- on it!! Thats really good!! YAY!!

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Marimba.

Not that I've had one to actually play on in a long time, but I do still plan on getting one sometime. And I still practice exercises and some songs etc using the mallets on pillows/couches/floors from time to time, so I could probably still play half-decently if I had one.
Awesome! I play that too :) And pretty much anything under the title of "percussion"
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri May 13, 2011 5:41 pm

It's a good job I'm working on vocals a decent bit, lately, between choir and another music project, because then I won't traumatise others while singing to a small child.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”