Christchurch Earthquake - 6.3 - Ratey is OK

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Christchurch Earthquake - 6.3 - Ratey is OK

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12533722

A 6.3 earthquake hit directly under Christchurch, NZ today. It was very shallow, only 5km below the surface. So far there are a lot of people dead and a hell of a lot of destruction. But Ratey posted on livejournal, she and all her family are okay.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:32 am

How far does she live from the epicenter? I'm so glad she's okay. The destruction there is terrible...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

How scary!! Ratey, I'm glad you and your family are safe! My prayers will be with you and your country.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 am

Wow, geeze! That's horrible! Thanks for the good news, EL.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:23 am

For some reason I think she herself is in the Auckland area.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:59 am

Yes, I'm in Auckland, which is rather a distance away from the Earthquake (though I think right now the thoughts of everyone in the country are right there). My brother and his wife live in Christchurch - she works in the central city, which has some absolutely terrifying news at the moment. They're both okay. As is my other brother's sister-in-law, and another cousin's family (on the other side of her family). But there's just so many buildings that have collapsed like stacks of cards, and so many people still trapped, and it's hard to think about the good news when there's so much bad news.

The epicentre of this one I think was Lyttelton, which is a suburb of Christchurch, about 10km from the central city.

I spent quite a bit of time wandering around various suburbs of Christchurch in August last year, just a couple of weeks before the first earthquake, and it's rather eerie now to think that buildings I saw, things I photographed - so many of them just don't exist anymore, or are only half there.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for the update! I think I can say for everyone that our thoughts and prayers are with NZ right now.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm glad you and yours are safe, Ratey, but it's awful, to say the least, about all those who have been injured or killed. Thoughts definitely headed that way.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:51 pm

This lurker is glad you are safe. I too was worried when I heard about the earthquake.

If you can believe it or not, I still think about people on this forum and hope everyone stays safe.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Return to “Milagre Town Square”