How does your library work?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

How does your library work?

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:47 pm

I am so very tired of being yelled at, day in and day out, by snowbirds from the northern reaches of the US and Canada, over our computer access for visitors. I need people to tell me if we're freaks or not, by telling me how your library handles visitors.

Our policy is that non-residents (who don't pay into the taxes that support our system and those who don't buy a temporary card) can use our 15 minute computers, twice a day. 30 minutes.

If they, or residents for that matter, have laptops, they can mooch off our Wi-Fi for free, for 24 hours or as long as their batteries hold out; we also have outlets for those who use inside (some sit in parking lot).

We also get yelled at about being unable to print off laptops; they need to be on one our desktops for that.

How does your library do things? I don't care if you support their claims, telling me something that proves we're stingier than yours, I just want to know how things are outside of my little corner.

In the Harold Washington Library (Chicago), in 2007, they had 15 minute computers for guests, just like we do. I don't know if they had it limited to two sessions.

Okay, share. Please.

(If I ever have energy, I'll tell stories in here later about our crackpot patrons)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:43 pm

We demand stories about crackpots.

Also: No matter what you offer, and how fair it is, some people are never happy, and they will complain about it.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:10 am

Okay, I belong to two complete separate library systems - the Upper Hudson Library System (29 libraries) and the Mid Hudson Library System (93 libraries). I read the policies online of a bunch of the libraries and they all seemed pretty similar. I'm posting the two that I visit most frequently, one from each system. I must say that I have never used the computers at any of them, so I have no idea how strictly the policies are enforced.

The first doesn't state if there is any charge for the visitor's pass.
- Computers are available for public use on a first-come, first-served basis. Memorial Library patrons with valid cards can log in on public computers using their library card numbers and PINs.
- A Visitor Card is available to those individuals who are visiting the area for a short period of time and can provide identification with their permanent address. A visitor’s permanent address must be outside the Mid-Hudson Library System service area.
- Use of computer workstations is limited to a total of an hour and a half per day in 30-minute blocks to ensure that the maximum number of customers will have fair and equitable access to the computers.
The other system's library:
- All UHLS (Albany and Rensselaer Counties) library cardholders are allowed 2 hours of free computer time per day, guaranteed 1 hour at a time. Patrons may choose to use this time over several sessions in a day. Non-cardholders are welcome to purchase a guest pass for $1, good for 2 hours of computer use within the day. A photo ID is required to purchase a guest pass.
So, I guess the main difference is our guest/visitor pass gets you the same amount of computer time as a patron gets (1.5-2 hours).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:35 am

I'm with Jeebsy on this one. Also, I wonder if part of the issue is that people don't check what the visitation rules are for places where they are residents, so they don't realise that their own libraries enforce the same or similar rules.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks, Nomi. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

Jeebs, Rei: sure, to both, but I was looking for information on how other libraries handle it, just to appease my curiosity over where these other shining beacons of library excellence exist. Guess I'll do a search for that info.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:34 pm

I haven't used the wi-fi at the library, but they have big signs directing you on how to use it scattered all over the library (which I haven't read, because, well, I haven't needed to use it).

up until about a year ago, you needed a library card and pin to reserve and log on to computers in the upstairs area (maybe a couple of dozen PCs in two different spaces) for up to an hour at a time, but they had a half dozen PCs downstairs that didn't need a logon to use for up to 15 min.

If I can ever find the right page on the library website, I'll find their current policy.
EDIT: Of course, as soon as I hit post, the library website decided to start co-operating.
Most of our libraries provide wi-fi, giving you up to 100MB of data a day for free.

This means that if you bring in a portable device, e.g. laptop, you can access the internet, conduct research, download and upload files, and send and receive emails.
What happens if I really, really need to use wi-fi for another five minutes – what are my options?

None – once you have reached your maximum daily limit, the network will disconnect you for the rest of the calendar day.

Can I go to another library on the same calendar day and get another 100MB of free data once I have been blocked?

No – your maximum daily limit is based on your device’s unique MAC address not the library’s location. If you require further clarification on this point, phone SmartPay on 0800 123 486 (7 days/week from 7am - 10.30pm).

Can I print using wireless?

No – this is not currently available at Auckland Libraries.
Auckland Libraries provides designated computers with free access to the internet. The computers also come with a range of software including Word, Explorer, Powerpoint, Excel, Publisher, Access and Windows Media Player.

You are welcome to use these computers to check your emails, download information, and create documents.

Each library has printing facilities. Please see our printing, photocopying and faxing section for charges.

It is possible to save work from your library computer to a USB stick or disc, or burn to CD. You cannot save work on library computers for later sessions.

Library members and visitors who wish to use a computer will need to create a user account. This is an easy process, and takes no more than a couple of minutes. Please ask at any enquiry desk.

There are limited computers at each library, so it is likely you will need to make a booking, which can only be done at the library and not over the phone. You can book in advance.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:12 pm

INTERNET FEE POLICY
All patrons who use [City] Public Library for Internet access and who do not currently have a valid library card from an [State] public library are encourage to purchase a [City] Public Library non-resident card.

Patrons who choose not to purchase a [City] Public Library card will be assessed a fee of $5 per session. Each session is limited to one (1) hour. [City] Public Library cardholders are also limited to an hour.

Patrons who have valid library cards from other [State] public libraries will be encouraged to use their home library for Internet access. If they choose to use [City] Public Library, they will be charged the $5 per hour guest fee.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Ours seems to be pretty lenient. From what I can see on the website, if you have a "Net Card," you follow the same rules as a library card holder.
A valid library card is required to use computers in the Library. If you live in the Library District service area and do not have a valid library card, apply online or at any library location. Out-of-town visitors may obtain a Net Card to access public computers. Please see staff for details.
Branch libraries offer computers with free Internet access, resume software, word processing and other Microsoft products. Reservations for a one-hour session may be made at any library location using the designated PC Reservation Station. Library District uses PC Reservation to ensure equity in computer use. Internet usage is not tracked in any way. Express Internet computers are also available in some libraries for quick email or Internet searching. If no one is waiting, library card holders may extend their one-hour session for up to four hours per day.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Our library appears to let nonresidents use a guest card, but I don't see any mentions of time limitations or costs.

I also don't remember having to use my library card to use the computers the last time I used them (and honestly, the concept does seem a little foreign to me; I'm used to library computers not asking for any kind of authentication). So I'm not entirely clear on if that's a "policy" thing, or a "you must enter your library card # to access the computers" thing.

Printing also requires using one of the wired computers, but otherwise seems crazy to me (since it's unsecured wifi, as I expect other libraries are).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks, Nomi. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

Jeebs, Rei: sure, to both, but I was looking for information on how other libraries handle it, just to appease my curiosity over where these other shining beacons of library excellence exist. Guess I'll do a search for that info.
Quite honestly, I'm in the camp of people who have absolutely no clue how their local library works. In my case because I've almost never gone into a public library for the past number of years. I spend all of my time in academic ones.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:01 pm

From what I understand our guest appear to have the same permissions as everyone else, which is you sign up for a computer for a fixed amount of time - I believe 30 minutes or an hour. Then you can either use your Library Card or special ID, which is provided by you to login.

There is also Wireless, which if you log in as a guest, then you apparently have less bandwidth. However, there are times I use it as I do not want to sign in - Guest just check a box - and do not notice a difference.

However, I do live in a pretty small community and why it is Florida, so we probably have snow birds. I doubt it is ever over-ridden by them.

*returns to lurking status* :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:34 pm

I just went and looked on my hometown's website and I couldn't find any information. It's been so many years that I have no idea what their policy is.

In York, for library members the first two hours of usage is free. Then it's £1 per hour after. For non-members, it's £1 per hour, maximum 1 hour.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

At the library in Winnipeg, non-residents can get a "one-time use" card and use our desktop computers (provided there was one free) for an hour and a half. There are also 15 min Express terminals that you can just sit down and use for... 15 min.
Free Wifi for anyone, only when the library is open.
Printing is the biggest p.i.t.a ever. No printing from your own laptop, only the desktops at the library, and you had to first buy a copy card, then load it with money, then take it to the printer, then print your document. It was a stupid amount of steps that they are streamlining now that I'm gone.

I have no idea what the policy is here, I have never used the computers or asked to. They definitely don't have wifi.

I am absolutely willing to bet very few of those snowbirds use their home libraries.

ETA: Oh, and no checking out books if you're a non-resident.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Our library system is pretty crazy about access, as far as I'm concerned. In order not to discriminate against the homeless population, all they need to get a card is to get a letter from the shelter saying they're staying there and a photo ID. The group is transitory by nature and quite often, they'll check out a stack of books and then hop the next train to wherever and we're out those materials. We can send them to collections if the books were worth over $25 but c'mon, we're never seeing that money to replace the items.

Kids can get cards so long as mom or dad sign their application. Many people do this to get around our "No Mexican citizens unless they have a SSN" policy. We can send Canadians to Collections all the livelong day if necessary but there must be something about Mexico that makes it impossible to track anyone down. So kids get the card, mom and dad then piggyback on it. Another way we lose materials.

But yeah, temporary cards are $5/month and anyone who has one has not only access to the computers like a resident (2 hours a day), they can check out whatever residents can.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole computer system at my library is a pain in the ass. Because of our population, we are literally the only access a lot of these people have, so if you gave them free reign on how long they stayed on, a lot would be on from opening to closing.

We have a steady group of about 20 who will show up early to have good standing when we open, and will power walk or run even to get a computer. We've had to call the police over fights started over getting on the computers. We've had to be diligent about watching for people using cards that aren't theirs to get on. Why? Because then the other patrons start bitching that they've been waiting for however long and they only need 5 minutes (which stretches out to the full hour).

For adults, we have 14 computers total; 12 one hour computers and 2 15 minute computers. We have another 6 for the midgets and 4 for the teens. It's not a whole hell of a lot but we don't have the space or resources (read: money) for more and yet we always come in a very close second to the Main -who has 28 one hour and 7 15 minute computers and is open 21 more hours a week than us- for hours logged on the desktops.

The reservation system also creates a lot of headaches. If all 12 computers are being used and you make a reservation, it will assign you the next available one. So, let's say you get your slip assigning you to that next available computer. You're waiting for that and then someone signs off early, but you don't notice right away and in the meantime, someone else has noticed. They sit down (or make a reservation and it assigns them that recently available one) and now you notice that hey, that person came [x] minutes after me and they're getting to sign on before me. That's not fair.

We try to explain, if they notice, they can sign in to that and it will give the option of canceling their other reservation so they can sign on immediately but then they get angry we didn't tell them this before. Well, we aren't mind readers. We don't know when people will leave early and can't tell them every single nuance of the system.

Or if they don't get to their reservation within 5 minutes of the start time, the reservation gets canceled and they're charged with an hour of their 2 hour allotment. "Why didn't you warn me my computer was open?" Beg pardon? We can't be watching those computers for everyone.

Anyhow, big hassle and most days, we feel like a mental health computer lab, minus the therapists.

All that to say, thanks for all the responses. It's really interesting to hear how other locations handle the computers, since they're basically and unfortunately our entire day. If we lose internet, the place empties out, no kidding.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 am

So much of what you say sounds very familiar to where I worked. We were the main downtown branch with four floors - three of which had computers and there were still fistfights over computers.
The 15 min express terminals I mentioned before had to undergo major changes when it was discovered they were being used to make drug deals (Yay!). People were using Facebook chat to arrange deals, and we found a baggie of leafy green stuff under one of the keyboards one time.
So, Facebook chat got blocked, and the time limit got heavily enforced from then on.

As for non-residents, I'm sure we didn't get nearly as many as you do, but there was definitely complaints about how things were run and "my library back home blah, blah, blah..."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 am

That sounds so incredibly stressful. It's actually hard for me to fathom. My little hometown library has a) no homeless, and b) the rare immigrant. The computers are also only occasionally in use when I go in to get books.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:40 pm

*gives JL seedy-library-high-five* Because although all libraries have their drawbacks, the seedy ones are extra special.

Nomi, it can definitely be stressful but some days -hell, some hours- are worse/better than others. It's just the nature of working with the public.

Okay, crackpot profile number one (and if I've told you guys about this guy before, just nod and smile): Mr. Slurpee.

That is what the staff calls him, though we do know his actual given name as well. Mr. Slurpee is, of course, a regular. Mr. Slurpee is also a Grade A creep.

He will generally show up for the last two hours of any given day, sign into the computers, and either attempt to enter a soft-porn site or will run searches on Bing like this: "rihanna beach," trying to find images of celebrities in as little clothing as possible. Really, he does both if he has enough time. When he stumbles upon an image he likes, he will take out his cell phone -he just got an upgrade!- and take a picture of the picture on the screen. He will also typically spend at least $5 printing pictures, at $0.25/picture in color. Usually, it's closer to $20 in the day but the print vend will only allow you to print up to $5 at a time.

He has issues quite often with getting all his prints or getting to his soft-porn site of choice -he's actually asked a coworker how to get into one after he first asked me and I told him our filter was blocking it- so he is on very (un)friendly terms with us. He has a particularly nasty grudge against our supervisor for commenting on the nature of his computer use.

Mr. Slurpee is also a very angry person. Once, while pointing at a price and claiming it read less than it actually did, he got angry at us for telling him that if he wanted all the images, he'd have to pay the price his finger was pointing at, not the price he wanted. He reluctantly paid, while muttering how my coworker and I are beneath him, worthless, etc. The next day, he had issues again and again started muttering about the quality of the staff. When he left, well before closing time -a rare thing; he typically waits until the last 5 minutes before closing to start his prints and then always uses the restroom immediately after- we were curious as to what was going on. He had gone outside and waited for us to leave, so he could threaten and curse at us as we walked to our various methods of transportation.

Oh, we call him Mr. Slurpee because we never, not ever, see him without a big old cup from Circle K in his hand.

Next time on Profile of a Crackpot Patron: Mr. Suspenders.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 pm

AHaha. I wanna hear a whole series of these.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Next time on Profile of a Crackpot Patron: Mr. Suspenders.
He doesn't post new things anymore, but you NEED to read the entire archives of Tales from the Liberry.

Luet - it sounds bad, but even writing about the bad stuff makes me miss my old job!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Even just going there to bookmark that page made me entirely too happy. Thanks, I'm excited to get started. 8)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am

Oh, we call him Mr. Slurpee because we never, not ever, see him without a big old cup from Circle K in his hand.
There's a guy we call "Polar Pop" for the exact same reason! What does Circle K put in those things that makes them have them on their person 24/7?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Aww, that kind makes me miss a customer we called "Herbie Love Bug". He is a very tall, hunched over man (that reminds of of a beetle) named Herbert and he would come in about once a month and do a layaway with about $500 worth of woman's clothing for a girl he claims he is going to meet from the internet.

While people that know me know I have nothing against meeting people from the internet, we fully believe his mystery woman is non existent. He would often buy many different sizes of clothing, and would always end up returning about 75% of everything he would buy because the trip she was supposed to take fell though. He would also try to call her while shopping to ask her questions about the clothes, but she would never pick up and he would go on a rant about how she naps about three times a day and they never get to talk because of all then napping.

Last thing we heard from him was when our Idaho store called asking us to cancel his current layaway because he wanted to create a new one there... We think he found love : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”