[Database] The Books

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
PwebArchivist
Launchie
Launchie
Title: Official Archivist

[Database] The Books

Postby PwebArchivist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Covers (official), be they different US editions, international, or otherwise, go here.

Publishing information, which should be easy enough to get, also goes here.

Anything else?

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 pm

The timelines?

Who actually made them?

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Would Characters and planets count under books or lexicon?

Also would the random little details count (like for EG, things like the names of the different armies, the color codes, the commanders, etc)?
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Book pages should be strictly information about the book. Publishing information, edition information, covers, a short summary.

Characters, planets, armies and their colors, etc would be Lexicon.

However, I see no reason why you can't place references or links throughout a book page that redirect to Lexicon pages, and vice versa.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 am

Ender's Game (from 1991 "author's difinitive edition")

Copyright 1977, 1985, 1991 by Orson Scott Card
Introduction Copyright 1991 by Orson Scott Card. First Published in Phoenix Rising

Cover Art by John Harris

A Tor Book
Published by Tom Doherty Associates, Inc
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY, 10010

ISBN: 0-812-5507-6
Library of congress catalog card number: 91-9908

First Edition: January 1985
Revised Edition: August 1991
Revised Trade Paperback edition: September 1992
Revised mass market edition: July 1994

...like this?
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

I've recreated the original Ender/Bean timeline. Although it'd be nice to have it go through all the books this time around.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Still working on the timeline.

I also came across this:

We are free to use it since it is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Since I haven't read Ender in Exile are there any mention of things happening on Earth so I can place events properly on the timeline?

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Well, I have the timeline about half done. I need to do Ender in Exile through Children of the Mind. So far its about 900x6000px and I'm wondering what would be the best way to display it. Right now I'm thinking an jquery imagebox would be best.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

Assuming we use page references as sources for the articles, which edition do we use?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:20 pm

What are the red "books"? And why are they red?
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Bean_wannabe: I don't think it matters, so long as we just specify the book, edition, and page number altogether.

waffleman: They're short stories.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Ender's Game (from 1991 "author's difinitive edition")

Copyright 1977, 1985, 1991 by Orson Scott Card
Introduction Copyright 1991 by Orson Scott Card. First Published in Phoenix Rising

Cover Art by John Harris

A Tor Book
Published by Tom Doherty Associates, Inc
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY, 10010

ISBN: 0-812-5507-6
Library of congress catalog card number: 91-9908

First Edition: January 1985
Revised Edition: August 1991
Revised Trade Paperback edition: September 1992
Revised mass market edition: July 1994

...like this?

Sorry you never received an answer. I think that's great; has a lot of information tucked in. Depending on how the covers are displayed, it might be helpful to have a blurb like that and then under the covers identify them by language/country.

What do you think? Have any other approaches we might take?

Still working on the timeline.

I also came across this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nology.png

We are free to use it since it is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0
Will or Wil, can we change that background to not-white or does it have to stay that way since we're borrowing it? No matter what design we end up with, it's probably going to be on the not-white side.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Here are some quotes I have collected over the years. I think they are pretty accurate, but no guarantees. I wheedled it down to some favorites, but it's still a little long. Sorry about that--it's just all too good.

"I'm not Catholic," said the inspector.
"God loves you all the same."
-Sister Carlotta, ES, pg 74

What mattered was to learn everything, analyze the situation, choose a course of action, and then move boldly. Know, think, choose, do. There was no place in that list for "feel."
-ES, pg 126

...victory almost always went to the side with the greater power to inflict damage. Sometimes David kills Goliath, and people never forget. But there were a lot of little guys Goliath had already mashed into the ground. Nobody sang songs about those fights, because they knew that was the likely outcome. No, that was the inevitable outcome, except for the miracles.
-ES, pg 346

"Give the universe a push, and you don't know which dominoes will fall."
-Graff, ES, pg 425

"But I don't know a soul who doesn't maintain two separate lists of doctrine--the ones that they believe that they believe; and the ones that they actually try to live by. I'm simply one of the rare ones that knows the difference."
-Sister Carlotta, SotH, pg 90

"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not crab cake."
-Bean, SotH, pg 91

But the old woman, her white hair held severely by a head scarf, gave him a wink, as if to say, Good for you, young fellow, young girls should be kissed thoroughly and often.
-Shadow Puppets, pg 46

"We had classes in doing the impossible. I got A's."
-Ambul, Shadow Puppets, pg 53

Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth.
-EG, pg 2

Cover your butt. Bernard is watching.
-God, EG, pg 50

"I can't do a weekly column. I don't even have a monthly period yet."
-Valentine, EG, pg 135

Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-Valentine, EG, pg 231

"There is no teacher but the enemy."
-Mazer Rackham, EG, pg 262

"Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it...When you can give me back my dead wife, Ender, then you can complain to me about what this education cost you."
-Mazer Rackham, EG, pg 277

"No human being, when you understand his desires, is worthless. No one's life is nothing. Even the most evil men and women, if you understand their hearts, had some generous act that redeems them, at least a little, from their sins."
-Ender, SftD, pg 131

Only one rabbi dared to expect of us such a perfect balance that we could preserve the law and still forgive the deviation. So, of course, we killed him.
-SftD, pg 278

"When it comes to human beings, the only type of cause that matters is final cause, the purpose. What the person had in mind. Once you understand what people really want, you can't hate them, because you can always find the same desires in your own heart."
-Ender, SftD, pg 370

"I have no fear of Satan, but Mother..."
-Quim, Xenocide, pg 208

"If I could just make a good family, if I could just learn to be to other children, their whole lives, what Andrew was, coming so late into ours, then that would mean more in the long run, it would be a finer accomplishment than anything I could ever do with my mind or my hands."
-Olhado, Xenocide, pg 449

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet."
-Ender, CotM, pg 56

"Knowledge is just opinion that you trust enough to act upon."
-Miro, CotM, pg 113-4

"If you lay a hand on me I'll ram your testicles so far up inside your abdomen it'll take a heart surgeon to get them out."
-Val, CotM, pg 148

"Doesn't it make you wonder about your own sexual identity, not to mention your sanity, that the two women you love are, respectively, a virtual woman existing only in the transient ansible connections between computers and a woman whose soul is in fact that of a man who is the husband of your mother?"
-Val, CotM, pg 148-9

"All the stories are fictions. What matters is which fiction you believe."
-Valentine, CotM, pg 199

"...now I realize that just getting through the day without killing somebody can be an achievement."
-Jane, CotM, pg 273

"This emotion I've feeling now, this is love, right?" (Jane)
"I don't know. Is it a longing? Is it a giddy stupid happiness just because you're with me?"
"Yes."
"That's influenza. Watch for nausea or diarrhea within a few hours."
-Miro, CotM, pg 278

Changing the world is good for those who want their names in books. But being happy, that is for those who write their names in the lives of others, and hold the hearts of others as the treasure most dear.
-CotM, pg 354
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 am

No, long is good. This is great. If I counted correctly, that was 27 right there, plus the one Wil has up gives 28. I'm still not sure how many we should have available. 30? 40? 50?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 pm

I did promise to add some quotes, didn't I? All from EG:

Sometimes lies are more dependable than the truth.

Page 2

This would not have a happy ending. So Ender decided he'd rather not be the unhappiest at the end.

Page 6

But this isn't how it feels to be a bugger, thought Ender. They don't ware this face like a mask, it is their face. On their home worlds, do the buggers put on human masks, and play?

Page 11

"So, what are you going to do?"

"Persuade him that he wants to come with us more than he wants to stay with her."

"How will you do that?"

"I'll lie to him."

Page 16

"It's what I was born for, isn't it? If I don't go, why am I alive?"

Page 26

"Just one more example of the stupidity of the military. If you had any brains, you'd be in a real career, like selling life insurance."

Page 37

At last he came to a door, with these words in glowing emeralds: THE END OF THE WORLD. He did not hesitate. He opened the door and stepped through.

Page 73

Perhaps it's called the end of the world because it's the end of the games, because I can go to one of the villages and become one of the little boys working and playing there, with nothing to kill and nothing to kill me, just living there. As he thought of it, though, he could not imagine what "just living" might actually be. He had never done it in his life. But he wanted to do it anyway.

Page 74

"I'm putting you in Dink Meeker's toon. From now on, as far as you're concerned, Dink Meeker is God."

"Then who are you?"
"The personel officer who hired God."

Page 100

"Peter, you're twelve years old. I'm ten. They have a word for people our age. They call us children and they treat us like mice."

Page 127

That's the problem with winning right from the start, thought Ender. You lose friends.

Page 184

"Real respect takes longer than official respect."

Page 230

Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.

Page 231

"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them they way they love themselves."

Page 238

"We aren't just ordinary children, are we. None of us."

"Don't you sometimes wish we were?"

Page 240

"Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead, and the tigers would own the earth."

Page 241

"I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on I am your teacher."

Page 262

I don't care if I pass your test, I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly-I'll beat you unfairly first.

Page 293

"I don't have to be your commander anymore, do I?" asked Ender. "I don't want to command anybody again."

"You don't have to command anybody," said Dink, "but you're always our commander."

Page 303
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Lemonade Ice Queen
Launchie
Launchie

Re: The Books

Postby Lemonade Ice Queen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the short stories? I know some of them are in First Meetings in Ender's Universe.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the short stories? I know some of them are in First Meetings in Ender's Universe.
Some are in a collection of short stories called "The Intergalactic Medicine Show" where OSC promotes other peoples short stories and sticks in about 5 of his own. I'm pretty sure a story of Hot Soup's life before the battle room's is one of the short stories.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby OSCjunkie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I like the timeline of the different stories but it's out of date. Shadows in Flight is no longer the one that joins the two series. That one is now Shadows Alive. SinF is just another filler book like Exile that OSC wrote because he was asked to. Hopefully it'll be better than Exile but... At any rate the timeline needs to be revised. Didn't I see that on Wikipedia?
"I aim to misbehave."- Mal, Serenity.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”