The New News Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:19 pm

neo, every vote counts. It might be less apparent in our current system, but if only to protest against the outrageousness of Stephen Harper you should vote. Hell, we're in ENGLAND and we voted!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

*mutters about the postage costs*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:55 pm

neo, every vote counts. It might be less apparent in our current system, but if only to protest against the outrageousness of Stephen Harper you should vote. Hell, we're in ENGLAND and we voted!
It's more a matter of apathy than not thinking my vote counts. Jack Layton seems a little more trustworthy than the other guys, but I figure life will go on no matter who wins.

That's right, I'm a lousy citizen.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm

I've just always grown up with and taken the view that if we don't exercise our right to speak when asked for our thoughts, then we have no right to speak when we haven't been asked.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Which is why I also don't complain. I'm apathetic but not a hypocrite. :)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:54 pm

I've just always grown up with and taken the view that if we don't exercise our right to speak when asked for our thoughts, then we have no right to speak when we haven't been asked.
It's not just that for me. I also have the ghost of the knowledge that my right to vote was hard-fought and hard-won.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I am indeed grateful to have the right to choose whether or not I vote.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 am

For the record, that wasn't a dig at you. It's just something that goes through my mind each election.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Bin laden is dead. And we have his body.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun May 01, 2011 9:59 pm

I'll go ahead and be an a******. I don't think the world lost anything worth having around with his death but I don't understand all the "Rah, rah, rah, Go USA!! Ding dong the terrorist leader is dead!!" that I'm seeing. No, that's not right. I understand it, I just don't feel it.

Allow me to be the ignorant a****** at that but what does this change, that I'm supposed to be getting all riled up about? Justice was served? I guess but his death isn't going to bring anyone who died at his hands back. One less baddie running around plotting to kill innocent people? Sure, but there are plenty more where that came from.

I don't know. I am not sure why I can't get excited about this but it doesn't seem appropriate somehow.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun May 01, 2011 10:46 pm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun May 01, 2011 10:51 pm

The loss of any true baddie is always an upper. So sad so many go unpunished! 8)

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 am

I'll go ahead and be an a******. I don't think the world lost anything worth having around with his death but I don't understand all the "Rah, rah, rah, Go USA!! Ding dong the terrorist leader is dead!!" that I'm seeing. No, that's not right. I understand it, I just don't feel it.

Allow me to be the ignorant a****** at that but what does this change, that I'm supposed to be getting all riled up about? Justice was served? I guess but his death isn't going to bring anyone who died at his hands back. One less baddie running around plotting to kill innocent people? Sure, but there are plenty more where that came from.

I don't know. I am not sure why I can't get excited about this but it doesn't seem appropriate somehow.
I turned on the radio today when my iPod died, after a very long drive home from Spokane, and it was apparently a country station. I had only heard "oh hey, apparently Osama bin Laden is dead" from a friend, and pretty much felt how they said it: "oh, hey."

Then this country station. I guess in some parts of the country people were dancing in the streets and firing off guns and fireworks? Wow.

So I felt pretty much how Alea felt. I don't really understand how people feel that the death of one man will trigger the decline of, what, terrorism? And apparently people feel it's retribution for 9/11. So, yeah. I don't know. As usual.

This is why I am always so involved in the political debates around here. :P
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 am

It's understandable, from a psychological point of view. It's not as much the fact that a leader terrorist is killed in a militar action, as the emotions associated to him. Ben Laden is (rightfully) associated to fear, outrage... for many people these emotions have been oppressive for a long time, and the moment of his death is symbol of the release from them. Release from oppresion sparks happiness.

For others, it's like killing the big bad of a videogame, and that's a happy moment, too.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 02, 2011 4:37 am

Osama is dead. I'm glad he was found and neutralised. I suppose I'm glad he died cleanly in a firefight, since there was no way on earth he could have escaped execution, and this means we don't get to make a spectacle out of it. Also no one will attempt a rescue.

But he's dead and I feel relief, but no joy. Good work, you soldiers who got him, you will never have to buy a drink ever again.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon May 02, 2011 4:37 am

Thank you, Alea.

I knew it wasn't just because I'm not American that I am feeling much the same way.

But it's not just the feeling that this doesn't end or fix everything. I'm also not impressed by the moral implications of cheering in the streets and being joyous over anyone's death. He deserved it, and it was necessary, and the world may be a better place without him, but I don't think that it's ever appropriate to celebrate ending a life. There's a thin line between justice and vengeance.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 02, 2011 4:41 am

I'm also not impressed by the moral implications of cheering in the streets and being joyous over anyone's death. He deserved it, and it was necessary, and the world may be a better place without him, but I don't think that it's ever appropriate to celebrate ending a life. There's a thin line between justice and vengeance.
This. Rejoicing over his death puts me on his level.

Edit: And pweb is such a voice of sanity compared to my facebook.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon May 02, 2011 5:04 am

I don't know. I mean, I feel the way most people on here have expressed. I'm glad he's dead, I'm glad it happened this way, I felt no rejoicing.

And yet -- I don't live in, nor have I ever lived in, the two cities that were attacked on 9/11. And I can't help but wonder, if I did, would I feel more like the people in the streets?
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon May 02, 2011 8:59 am

I have wondered that as well. I can understand it a little better in places like New York. That said, it still seems like a certain joy for vengeance rather than justice, even if it is more understandable.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 pm

i'm glad we found him finally. i guess i'm glad he's dead. i dunno.

my wife woke me up to tell me last night. so that might have an effect on how i feel about it which is kind of "meh"

it doesn't really change anything. the war will continue, people on both sides will die... al queda won't even be disorganized, i'm sure that some of the people that were under osama were more fearsome than that old bitch.

my first thought though upon hearing the news was more like "i hope this doesn't lead to some nasty retaliation. we don't need another 9/11 because of this"
Ubernaustrum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Dangit, Elections Canada! Start publishing the election results! I don't want to wait another hour and a bit to see what's happening!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I don't know that it's official but it appears to be a Conservative majority. Liberals got KILLED by NDP.

Can't say that nothing changed this election.

ETA
Yeah, I think it's pretty official now.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon May 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Historic night - NDP as the opposition, the Bloc gone.

...I'll just ignore the fact that the f'n Conservatives got majority.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 am

the Bloc gone.
:(

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue May 03, 2011 12:37 am

*cringe* This was NOT what I wanted to wake up to. I had resigned myself to a Tory minority... I'm absolutely disgusted to see he's now got a majority.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am

Dear Canada,

What the hell is wrong with you? I mean, seriously.

Kudos to Saanich, though. I'm thrilled a Green finally got in.

I'm now going to consider applying for British citizenship.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Tue May 03, 2011 12:16 pm

E_L, are Canadian tories all that different from Brit ones? :shock:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Well, they haven't yet been found in contempt of parliament, nor pulled the elections shenanigans the Canadians did, so... I guess? I mean, it's not a very high bar, but still.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 pm

How about we just declare pweb an independent nation and we all get citizenship?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

How about we just declare pweb an independent nation and we all get citizenship?
OK.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue May 03, 2011 7:58 pm

So wait, [American, not really familiar with the Canadian system] the Conservative government I've heard only terrible things about is determined to have acted in contempt of Parliament, is dissolved, and as a result of the ensuing elections, the Conservatives are now stronger than before the government was dissolved?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 pm

yeah, but you have to realize that canadian conservatives are like american liberals except with comically exaggerated canadian accents and say things like "eh?" and "soooorry"

"we should let homosexuals marry and have the same rights as everyone else. and everyone should have free healthcare. and upper middle class and higher should have to pay more taxes too, eh? sooooorry"

everyone in canada is so nice.
Ubernaustrum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 pm

they all sound like this
Ubernaustrum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed May 04, 2011 2:57 am

So wait, [American, not really familiar with the Canadian system] the Conservative government I've heard only terrible things about is determined to have acted in contempt of Parliament, is dissolved, and as a result of the ensuing elections, the Conservatives are now stronger than before the government was dissolved?
Basically, yes. Contrary to what all the polls were predicting by 1 May. What we were expecting was a minority Conservative government with an NDP official opposition (that being it's own minor upset) and a mildly reduced Liberal party and Bloc Quebecois. Instead the Conservatives won a solid majority, the NDP took a MUCH stronger position than expected, the Liberal party was vastly reduced to the fewest seats it's ever had, the Bloc Quebecois have been nearly demolished, and the Green party got its first seat ever.

So... yeah. Bleh.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Fri May 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Grr, news related vent.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”