TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Re: TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Postby Petra456 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:37 am

Breaking Bad is back and flipping fantastic. I LOVE that Walt got caught. I can't wait to see the rest of this half of the season.

I've also started watching New Girl and...Zooey Deshchanel is becoming more and more obnoxious as the series progresses. I get it. You're cute and quirky/unique. Only, it's not cute, it's obnoxious. Schmidt, on the other hand, the supposed douche, is hilarious and in his own way, charming. Winston is falling into his own and Nick...Nick is mostly neurotic, like Jess, but it's easier for me to find it adorable when he does it. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate dating someone like him but on TV, it works.
This past week i've started watching Breaking Bad, i'm two episodes into season two. I'm hooked. I'm hoping to catch up so I can watch some of the current season while it's still new!

Edit: Grr, new page!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 am

Double post...

*GIANT SIGH*

So, I just finished season 4 of Breaking Bad last night (my goal is to be caught up so I can watch the last episode around when it actually airs next week). This show gets my heart racing like nothing else! I can't stop watching, I have a bad case of "just one more episode...".

I've done a great job of avoiding spoilers for season 5, so I have absolutely no clue whats in store.

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Postby Rootersfriend » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:34 am

So I had a few other shows I was catching up on and didn't want to start a new series that I knew would get me hooked until I could really devote some time to it. That time is here and I've started watching Breaking Bad...Starting at the begining, so I'm 5 seasons behind haha, but holy crap. I'm only three episodes in and I'm super hooked and on the edge of my seat with stuff...This is going to be a hard one not to binge on...
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Argh, why is tonight the LAST Breaking Bad ever?!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 am

Walking Dead...Is Carol written off the show or is there a chance she'll be brought back? Because argh, I liked her character and there was no good reason to write the scene that led to her being kicked out of the prison.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Walking Dead -

I really don't know why but I absolutely HATE Carol! I honestly don't think she's really gone, but I wouldn't be upset at all if that was the case.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:37 pm

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has played a huge role in my continued reading for school; I reward myself with an episode after a big read. I'm now done with 14 of 33 readings and have seen 4 episodes. It's complete and utter love at first viewing.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:38 am

I've discovered a new old show that was on the air decades ago and I'm madly in love with it: Blake's 7. It's a sort of dark side of Star Trek type show. And not so easy to find in North America.

Anyone else ever watched it?
Pweb member since 2000

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I have seen a couple episodes of Blakes 7 it's on youtube 's YTPages. It's worth watching. I'm still trying to be patient waiting for vikings new season. I just love it!

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:22 am

Yeah, I watched all four episodes of Blake's 7 on Youtube. And then it was taken down, literally almost right after I'd finished watching. You can still find it here and there, though. I'm looking to find the DVDs so I can re-watch at my leisure.

Great show!
Pweb member since 2000

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:14 pm

I've been on an older show kick for a bit now. Just finished watching Twin Peaks about a week ago. A show with such great potential but left me pretty disappointed. Still felt like it was pretty enjoyable.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:00 am

Ha, me, too, Petra. I've been re-watching original Star Trek. And I'm watching classic Doctor Who with my hubby.
Pweb member since 2000

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 pm

So I finally, finally finished Angel, one year after I started.

I didn't think I liked it that much about halfway through, but by the end, as it ended, I realized I'd miss it a lot. That final shot with Lorne...
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Has anyone else been watching Marco Polo? I have been loving it. :kisses:

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:10 pm

we watched the trailer in history, I think I'll watch some of it over winter break... apparently recommended eh?
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

psyned
Launchie
Launchie

Postby psyned » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:25 am

Why does Game of Thrones have to be off for so long? :(
Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead - Valentine

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:26 am

Im with ya Psyned, its like waiting for Vikings!

psyned
Launchie
Launchie

Postby psyned » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 am

I've never watched Vikings :oops:
Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead - Valentine

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Man, Better Call Saul is so much better than I was expecting it to be, based off the initial descriptions of it as a comedy. Which is good, too, because I have very limited time for TV/movies, so I have to make it count.

Still kind of keeping up with Walking Dead and Once Upon a Time but not too upset when I miss an episode.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:25 pm

I saw part of the first episode of Better Call Saul; I need to make time for it.

The Season 2 Finale of the 100: I feel like the CW has improved significantly since my tv watching days. Or at least, they have started taking on better shows. The Flash is lightyears more entertaining than Smallville. The 100 is just amazing as a show. Maybe I've been on too much of a CW hiatus, but I sort of feel like the 100 is a show I would expect on a tv network you actually have to pay for (assuming CW is still one of the no-need-for-cable channels).

I actually thought to myself that the show reminded me of Ender's Game on a small-scale. Mostly with the hard choices the characters need to make to survive. Clarke had her own "xenocide"-esque moment, and I literally did not see it coming. First season was lord of the flies-esque and this one seems more like battle school.

The Season 2 Finale of How to Get Away With Murder: (At this point, I'm just procrastinating this assignment I have to do... its worth 100% of my grade and due right after Spring Break *sigh*)
There was nothing predictable about it. The nation/viewers were shocked when we found out who actually murdered her. We were shocked when we also found out that a character had pulled the SAME THING on the rest of the main cast, and us, that they tried to pull on the entire world with Sam. I think he escaped--no, we murdered him and made it look perfectly like he fled.

I guess the show did leave some subtle clues that Frank killed Lila. They built him up like a footsoldier for Annalise. I pictured him as the commando of the firm. However, nothing would have led me to believe that admist trying to save the kids, help her defend her client from the murder charge, etc. he was the actual one who killed her.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:21 am

Has anyone here seen Dark Matter? It's this new Firefly-esque show that I've started watching (season 1 is on netflix) the original premise is that the entire crew wakes up with no memory and tries to figure out who they are and how they ended up there... it's a neat concept and so far pretty entertaining...
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 am

I Watched both seasons while healing up this summer. I liked it, not like a lot, loved the ship though, and I guess I really liked Zoie as the ships computer/android/ crewperson. Did you think a couple of the crew members were a little bland?

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Yeah, there were certainly a few that I didn't really care for. I likes 5 though... (the kid who fixes stuff) I guess I have a soft spot for smart kids crawling around in vents :wink:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:39 am

I crave more syfi shows with tuff old battle tested spacecraft in them

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Don't we all?

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:28 pm

So I do love vikings best show ever and I loved the new episode but I want to be clear on this, I wanna go to westworld!!!!!! and I want to wear a white hat!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Has anyone else been watching vikings? I just cant wait to stream it every thursday. Sometimes I even hide away somewhere no body will find me so I can enjoy it, all to myself.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

I've been making my way through Friends (for the first time ever; I was uninterested at the time it was first aired and never got into reruns) and sometimes I cringe so much, I almost have to stop watching. I mean, some episodes are almost painful in how awkward they get.

Then there's all the "Oh, you're so feminine; are you gay?!?" things that drive me up a wall. Also transphobia, misogyny, etc. that makes me wonder why I'm still watching it.

Then something relateable or hilarious happens and I keep going. Also, I'm on the last season so no point in quitting now.

And then there's Handmaid's Tale. That is just frightening to me because truly, how far away from that sort of reality are we? It has right-wing politics written all over it. 7 episodes in. Will probably finish tonight.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm

My favorite show currently is Forged in Fire, a bladesmithing competition show on History channel.

The competition's are are actually very difficult, and it's not uncommon that competitors utterly fail to turn in a finished weapon in the time alloted, and it's really interesting to see the process of forging and crafting the knives, swords, hatchets and stuff they make.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am

Alea, did you ever read Handmaid's Tale? It was one of the first classic dystopian novels I read when I get into sci fi as a teen. It has held up really well.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Yep! I want to say it was while I was still in AZ but possibly shortly after I moved. In any event, long enough ago that I remember enjoying it but don't remember enough for it to have colored my opinion on the show at all.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 pm

I've heard good things about the show (admittedly I've not heard much about the show, but what I've heard has been positive). I still have yet to read any Atwood novels >_>
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:01 am

I expected more Game of Thrones fans here

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:31 am

I watched a short clip of it while visiting my grandpa last month and it was not terribly impressive or interesting to me. I might give it an actually fair try at some point but it's not a priority. :shrug:

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 am

I read the first book, got pissed off at the narrative betrayal, and wanted nothing else to do with it :P I'm told it's pretty good, though
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”