TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:07 am

Ouch, he's even a knight in that, too, right?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 am

RIP Andy Griffith :(
The enemy's fly is down.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:24 pm

So, the season finale of the River was awesome! The whole show was great; it was like a shorter, sweeter, better version of Lost if Lost was from the angle of different people holding cameras. Not sure, maybe I think it was better because it was shorter.

Seriously, if you made Lost about a river instead of an island, and compacted it and all the weird s*** on it into 8 episodes, you'd have the River. So much happens in every episode.

However, there needs to be a second season. We still have no clue how that girl is special; why she has the mark on the back of the neck(the same mark as the supposed tribe that is alluded to be angels). And she didn't manifest any special anything on the show.

Alas, there will be no second season. I am actually saddened by this.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 am

Next Food Network Star:

Holy cow! I did not see that coming at all! I've already spent all my votes on Justin.

I've also been watching The Newsroom, and it's pretty frickin' awesome.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm

I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation for the past few weeks. I'm halfway through season 2, and so far it's very enjoyable. Acting is top-notch all around, and I don't think there's a main character I don't like. Even Wesley. I'm going to be sad to see Dr. Pulaski go, actually, because I like her better than Dr. Crusher, I think. Gruff doctors strike a note with me.

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 am

Animal Practice: Eeeeeeh. I was excited about the concept of the show.... but the execution of it is gross, so far. OMG so much unethical behavior. As much of a douchebag as Mr Waxman is in the pilot, he should sue the vet for stealing his dog and performing unauthorized surgery. Uuuuuuugh.
-Kim

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

So Paul and I have been watching Lost for the first time (it's all on netflix, yay!), and I'm surprisingly unspoiled. We've just started Season 5. I knew about certain deaths (and I was quite surprised by others) and I know that certain characters are there till the last episode, but very little in the way of details. The major thing I know going into it is that not all the mysteries get solved. I think that puts me in a much happier place then if I'd watched it when it first aired, I think I may have given up on it if I'd had to wait weeks between episodes.

And you know? I can suspend my disbelief over polar bears, smoke monsters, time travel, etc, but the most magical thing of all is Aaron. That kid never gets hungry, rarely poops and just gets awkwardly carried around by Claire! (Seriously, had no one on set ever held a baby? No one could teach her?) Plus when Claire dies or goes missing or whatever (I don't know what yet!! ARGH!) he doesn't eat (because he would NEED Claire to eat - no bottles of formula on this island!) for 2 days, maybe more. He's 2 months old! He would need to eat every 3-4 hours, maximum. That kid would be so dehydrated and sick, probably dead when they got "rescued" in Indonesia. I know, I know, magical island *handwave*. But for some (obvious) reason, this bugs the hell out of me.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:00 pm

*Suits spoilers*

I hate how the Suits preview of the next episode basically spoiled that Jessica is losing the vote.
I hate how Mike's grandomother died, before he could show her the new house he was buying for her. And show her how much he loves her with that gesture(though of course she already knows, and he shows it very clearly everytime he visits her)
I hate Luis falling for Heartman's speech, though we see the seeds of his betrayal being sown throughout the season.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Breaking Bad:

I've come to greatly dislike Walt and the way he's so casually accepted killing as being supposedly necessary. I also hate the way he constantly tries to, and usually succeeds at, manipulating people, especially Jesse and Skyler. He is sick and twisted and just as bad as the men he replaced.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 pm

I think that's the point.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:30 pm

It's just making it harder for me to watch it. When I can't sympathize or empathize with the main protagonist, I start to not give a hoo-haa about continuing the story. Thankfully it's the last season and all.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm

I don't know about that. I'm still finding it pretty awesome. Few shows pull off suspense so well. I'm not sure how to describe how I feel about Walt. You're right, he's become pretty unsympathetic, but he's fascinating because we've watched every step of how he got that way. I can't wait to see how it ends.

It reminds me of one of my favourite anime series, Death Note. It also follows a similar character arc of a protagonist who starts out doing something morally questionable for a good reason, but ends up becoming a complete monster. I guess I enjoy stories that explore the fact that no one is evil just for the sake of being evil. There really is a moral slippery slope.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I have a hard time finding an abusive person fascinating, even if the abuse is fictional. His wife seems so hopelessly depressed, which is not entertaining to me.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:53 pm

*spoilers*

I did sympathize with Light, but he crossed the moral event horizon pretty early for my taste. As soon as he tried to kill the fake L on the TV announcement. (In fact, it was both immoral and stupid.)
Even afterwards i sympathized with the overall purpouse to an extent, but was disgusted of what he did to Misa. And to his father. And to...

I guess i wanted him to beat L because i wanted to see what the would would be should Light win and become "god" :?

I liked Light when he had forgotten all about the Death Note. I was actually hoping he would realize of his own memory gambit and try to stop himself from becoming Kira again.

You can say the character i sympathized the most was Matsuda, he often reflected my own conflicted views... and he got an awesome ending!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm

YOU GUYS (by which I mean GIRLS)!! Downton Abbey Season 3!!

No spoilers, but I totally love everyone on this show. And Shirley Maclaine joined the cast and she is almost as awesome as Dame Maggie.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:07 pm

It doesn't air on PBS until January but I'm gonna get my husband to download it for me soon...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 am

I've been home sick with a terrible stomach flu and binge-watched most of the first season of Revenge yesterday.

It's like Veronica Mars meets Gossip Girl meets Kill Bill. It has its flaws, but I don't care, and am currently obsessed.

My favorite part is how much the main character sucks. She's SO AWFUL and the show doesn't apologize for it--although it sometimes allows you to forget it--and it's awesome. I love gleefully disliking characters!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 am

I am partially excited and partially exhausted at the thought of all the stuff on TV that I like being on again.

Once Upon a Time, which I need to catch up on since my mom didn't warn me it was back on and I don't have even basic channels cable to see ads for it.

Walking Dead(!)

And ticker-style football (which did not go so well yesterday but at least it was to the Saints and I like them well enough)

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Dexter. I am unsure where the season arc is going so far. I have one concrete idea on how this is going to end and I am not really feeling it. I really hope you surprise me.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Once Upon a Time
I just started watching this on Netflix last week. (Netflex recommended it as a 5-star match for us.) So good!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Dexter. I am unsure where the season arc is going so far. I have one concrete idea on how this is going to end and I am not really feeling it. I really hope you surprise me.
Yes, i don't want "that" to happen. Also the second episode felt like a balloon losing air. It started really strong, but it quickly lost all it had. At this point i think only Lagüerta can save the season.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 pm

I agree. I don't know what she is going to do with what she has. She is also the only one not caught up in this new element as of yet.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Once Upon a Time
I just started watching this on Netflix last week. (Netflex recommended it as a 5-star match for us.) So good!
Right? It's not your typical, slapped-together story. It does a really good job of weaving the stories together and making you give a hoot about the characters. And god, the villain is so deliciously bitchy.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 pm

So, we got Hulu Plus so we could catch up on Season 2 of Once Upon a Time before the new episode last Sunday.

But I'd almost forgotten what it was like to have to wait a week to watch a new episode. (How I Met Your Mother is pretty much the only show I watch live.) So now I keep wanting to go to Netflix and watch the next episode, but it hasn't even aired yet. *grumblestiltskin*

The good news is that I can now watch the 7th season of Bones on Hulu. But then I'll be in the same boat if I catch up with the current season.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm

The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:56 pm

I know some of you will have feelings about this:"Girl Meets World" in the works about Cory and Topanga's daughter.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Interesting! And I agree with the article, it better have Mr. Feeny.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 am

Seriously, my first thought was, "oh I wonder what their kid is like?" and then it took a good ten seconds before I realized the actors didn't actually get married and this is not their kid--but I was definitely having a Jaden Smith level of confusion there for a while.

How wrong/wierd would it be if Fresh Princess of Bel Aire was also revived in a similar manner.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Just finished The Sarah Jane Adventures, and they were a lot of fun. Seriously underrated among Doctor Who fans. If you're a fan, and hankering for new Who between now and Christmas, look them up. Especially if you have kids.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 pm

The Walking Dead. I sobbed. I mean, sobbed. For about five minutes after. Like I've said, I have NO equanimity where babies and children are concerned. And how will they feed the baby? And, augh.

Also, I am SO irritated with Andrea. So annoyed. She does have a soft spot for crazy male authority figures, doesn't she?
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 pm

Is anyone watching Grimm?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am

The Walking Dead. I sobbed. I mean, sobbed. For about five minutes after. Like I've said, I have NO equanimity where babies and children are concerned. And how will they feed the baby? And, augh.

Also, I am SO irritated with Andrea. So annoyed. She does have a soft spot for crazy male authority figures, doesn't she?
I'm with ya, full on crying!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 am

Walking dead WTF and everything Kirsten said in the spoiler tag...

how can one show mess with my emotions so much and be so intense all the time.
Is anyone watching Grimm?
I am!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 am

Yay! Other people watch Grimm! Monroe is my favorite character ever ^_^
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 am

I feel really guilty whenever someone brings up Grimm, since I've never watched it despite it being set here and filming here all the time.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”