TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:53 am

Okay, so I kind of thought my thoughts on Glee wouldn't fit in the "nobody's ever seen" thread, so here we go.

Having seen 2-ish episodes, I quite despise Sue Sylvester and hope she dies in a car fire. Except I've been told she gets some character growth, which I'm looking forward to. NO ONE SPOIL ANYTHING.

I like the glee kids, and I'm quite warming to Rachel, who is endearingly geeky despite her diva-ness. I suspect I'll grow to like Kurt and Mercedes, too. But Will bugs me, and so does Terri. Terri more, though.

I do enjoy the music.

As for YOU, Merlin, I want some freaking plot development already! It's getting so frustrating, watching. Move ON! I want Uther DEAD already. I want someone, anyone, to get in on Merlin's secret.

AUGH.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:25 am

OI I'm almost at the point of giving up on Merlin. If it doesn't do SOMETHING by the end of the season I may just drop it entirely until somebody tells me there's been some real and solid plot advancement.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:33 am

We finally started on the third season of Fringe, and we probably won't be watching much together, as my Fringe group lives between 40 minutes and six hours apart now. But man, it looks like a depressing season. Without spoilers, the game of disguises seems like it will get really tiring. I don't watch Fringe for that, really, I watch it for the silly science and Walter: the Woobie and the semi-mysteries. The rest is just fluff, and I don't like being on my toes all the time when it comes to things like that. It was so tiring the first time they did it...

Also, now that I've finished Avatar (and won't be rewatching it... for at least a little bit), I found myself with nothing to watch, so I plugged in the ol' external to see what I had dredged up in my travels and found a glorious cache of MST3K.

Yes.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:37 am

This season of the Office has been utterly disappointing and almost not worth watching. Last season had started to go downhill but this one is just abysmal.

I've watched Glee all along. It has it's high points and I will continue watching it but it's not my favorite show or anything. I do love the songs they choose and especially the choreography.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:26 am

Can I put my thoughts on commercials in here?

If so, I despise whoever came up with the idea of using 525,600 Minutes as a theme for a freaking Macy's commercial. And whoever sold them the rights to use it. Just wrong.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:06 pm

*Double Post*

I am really shocked that I love The Walking Dead. I have no fascination with zombie apocalypses at all. But I really enjoy it.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Can I put my thoughts on commercials in here?

If so, I despise whoever came up with the idea of using 525,600 Minutes as a theme for a freaking Macy's commercial. And whoever sold them the rights to use it. Just wrong.
AGREED.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am

I realized I hadn't seen the first two seasons of 24, so I went to watch them. Spoilers follow, but mostly just for season 1.

Watching them back to back, season 1 is very different from the rest of the series. Jack is somewhat restrained even. The opening episode of Day 2 he kills a witness in the conference room with no prior warning and then saws the guy's head off. This is the sort of thing we remember him for, but it's completely absent in Day 1.

Aside from Kim, and Teri's ridiculous amnesia arc (which to my surprise featured Pauley Perrette/Abby from NCIS) the only weak point in the season was David Palmer. While everyone else in the series lives in permanent shades of grey, Dennis Haysbert plays Palmer as an almost Shakespearean pastiche of the wide-eyed idealist, who the show pretends to have slide into moral ambiguity over a potential affair only to have him keep the hard line in the end. The show thrives on putting the inner workings of the characters on display through their actions, but Palmer is inscrutable throughout. Makes him feel shallow.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:38 pm

I flipping love raising hope. it's the funniest show i've seen since scrubs. I can count on one hand the sitcoms that have actually made me laugh out loud on a regular basis.

has anyone else been watching it?
Ubernaustrum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:46 pm

You guys got me to suggest Walking Dead to my husband. We downloaded the first three episodes and have watched two so far. Good stuff, if a bit gory. It's really the first zombie anything I've watched other than Shaun of the Dead.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:56 am

Last night's episode of Caprica (The BSG spin-off) made me VERY upset that it is not being picked up for a second season. It's just now getting good, and the one remaining episode can't possibly resolve the various plot lines. This show needs another chance.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm behind on Caprica (I haven't watched since the very long break) but I dislike that it was cancelled on principle, because its not like Syfy has much going for it in terms of other shows, and scifi is getting pretty scant on the broadcast networks, especially if Terra Nova never makes it on air.

In other news, I am ABSOLUTELY in love with Lost Girl. Anyone else watching it?

Heh, I just asked my brother if I would like Walking Dead and he said probably not, but that I should watch it and could tell during the first 20 minutes if I would like it or not.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Seeing your avatar, Meg, reminds me that we've been watching Fringe on a binge (haha) and are a few episodes into Season 2. I really enjoyed season 1, but the unanswered/unaddressed questions from the finale are bugging me, I hope they are resolved.

I like that it has over-arching plots, but not to twisted as to lose you completely, since it is JJ Abrams after all.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Now that Buffy is on TV in the mornings, I have switched my morning routine. At least it's on at 6 and 7 AM instead of 5 and 6. Planning on watching the marathon tomorrow.

Don't love it like I love Angel, but it's growing on me. Possibly because they're still in high school, so Angel and Cordelia are still there. I don't know. Not sure what season it's in -- 2? It's the season where they have sex and Angel turns into Angelus.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:54 pm

I'm behind on Caprica (I haven't watched since the very long break) but I dislike that it was cancelled on principle, because its not like Syfy has much going for it in terms of other shows, and scifi is getting pretty scant on the broadcast networks, especially if Terra Nova never makes it on air.
That's part of what bugs me too. They're just going to fill the time with stupid B-movies or something.

ETA:

P.S.
I don't know if you're aware, but the last 5 episodes (including the one from last night which I mentioned) aren't even airing on Sy Fy until some time in 2011. They are only being aired in Canada right now. That's how much Sy Fy gives a damn about the show and its viewers.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Seeing your avatar, Meg, reminds me that we've been watching Fringe on a binge (haha) and are a few episodes into Season 2. I really enjoyed season 1, but the unanswered/unaddressed questions from the finale are bugging me, I hope they are resolved.

I like that it has over-arching plots, but not to twisted as to lose you completely, since it is JJ Abrams after all.
Interesting! I actually haven't finished many episodes of season 1, haha. I just love how it has grown as a show and how it really hit its stride mid-season 2.
That's part of what bugs me too. They're just going to fill the time with stupid B-movies or something.

ETA:

P.S.
I don't know if you're aware, but the last 5 episodes (including the one from last night which I mentioned) aren't even airing on Sy Fy until some time in 2011. They are only being aired in Canada right now. That's how much Sy Fy gives a damn about the show and its viewers.
Yeah, I saw that. And more Sharkoptus, indeed. UGH.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't know. Not sure what season it's in -- 2? It's the season where they have sex and Angel turns into Angelus.
Yup, that's season 2. Try to enjoy the whole "high school is hell" theme they've got going and it might not annoy you as much.

Then again, I just can't imagine watching Angel first! Weirdo. :)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Fringe=best show on television.

the shows i'm diggin' on right now are
Monday:
House (out of habit more than anything)
Castle (very fun show)
(just started watching lie to me as a filler and i'm enjoying it and when castle wasn't on this week i tried out hawaii 5-0 and i got to say, it was enjoyable.)

Tuesday:
halfheartedly watching glee. (don't care too much about it so i'm happy to cook dinner during it)
raising hope (as i said, i flippin' love the funny)
parenthood (i don't know why but i really enjoy it. it's well acted and for a very basic drama-plot it manages to stay interesting.)

Wed:
nothing, i rent movies or do other stuff wednesdays suck

Thurs:
Bones (again a show out of habit.)
Fringe (Best show on TV)

Fri:
same as wednesdays
Ubernaustrum

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 pm

We're slowly (at a rate too slow to get caught up, in fact) getting caught up on Fringe. S2 was soooooo good. Like, really good. I love the myth arcs that they have, that JJ Abrams seems to be an expert at, with the whole weaving of single-episode plots with the season-longer. But S3 seems like it will be too tense and depressing, especially after having seen the first two episodes. Like... it just doesn't seem like there's anything to look forward to, and it's all downhill.

I hear the next few episodes bring the optimism back, but it'll probably be another month before I see them.

Edit: Oh. I said this, like, two days ago. I'll leave it because it says more!

Row--row.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:24 am

s3 has been frustrating, but not really depressing. it has taken a turn with last weeks episode. still frustrating, but sooo good. you'll definitely want to keep watching.
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Is anyone watching S*** My Dad Says? I love the twitter/blog, but I haven't braved the tv show yet.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Holy Frack...

The finale of Caprica was pretty awesome! And I am very, very grateful that they gave it actual closure! The epilogue gave me chills.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Holy Frack...

The finale of Caprica was pretty awesome! And I am very, very grateful that they gave it actual closure! The epilogue gave me chills.
Weren't there 5 more episodes that will be shown in January?

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:14 pm

I think it was only Syfy in the US that stopped airing the show until January. Everywhere else was still airing it to completion.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Yup, it continued to air in Canada. Syfy's just a bunch of a-holes.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

I just got myself the entire series of Farscape. If you've never seen Farscape, you should. I rank it among my favourite television series of all time.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:33 pm

i loved farscape.
Ubernaustrum

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 am

Season Five of Bones is finally availble for instant watch on netflix!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 am

Last weekend I got the chance to watch more How I Met Your Mother than the two episodes I had half-watched while playing through Half-Life 2 late at night, and decided, yes, it is pretty darn funny.

Then we watched three full seasons and I was kind of tired of it, but then it would make me laugh at random times, still. I shall have to look more into it later.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:14 am

Last weekend I got the chance to watch more How I Met Your Mother than the two episodes I had half-watched while playing through Half-Life 2 late at night, and decided, yes, it is pretty darn funny.

Then we watched three full seasons and I was kind of tired of it, but then it would make me laugh at random times, still. I shall have to look more into it later.
I think it gets funnier as you go - and noticing how they'll come back to things way later is cool. It has some seriously good continuity.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:33 pm

We just started watching Psych on netflix instant watch. I really love it so far. Dule Hill (Charlie on West Wing) plays Gus and I find him so adorable. He has a "super smeller", a wicked sensitive nose. He loves Meredith Baxter Birney (calls her MBB) because she was the mom of APK on Family Ties. Anyway, if you are bored and looking for something to watch on netflix, give it a try.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm watching Being Erica again, and man I'm glad I got back to it. I'm glad they added a few little twists in the second season, and I love that there are plot threads outside of Erica herself. Plus, I can't stop humming the theme song, and Erica for some reason reminds me a lot of Kelly (probably the reddish hair and involvement in the publishing industry).

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:25 am

AMC stretched the 100 minute Christmas in Connecticutt into a full 2.5 hours with all the commercial breaks they added. How aggravating. I was reminded why I never watch that channel, even with time-shifting dvr magic.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 am

Oh my goodness, the end of Fringe season 2 is good. Paul and I watched about 6 episodes in 2 days. FRINGE BINGE!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Season Five of Bones is finally availble for instant watch on netflix!
But why would you do that to yourself?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”