TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Watching Deep Space Nine for the first time ever. Almost done with Season 2, and so far I'm quite enjoying it. Probably more so than I enjoyed TNG. The first season was slow, with a few good episodes, and increasing in quality by the end. But Season 2 has been good almost the entire time, especially the episode where they come across a place where a single guy created a hologram community.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 pm

I finally saw Community, after a friend of mine was badgering me about it for a while. While all of the plot is, well, really dumb, I find the comedy very well executed. Joel McHale and Donald Glover are as good as I could reasonably expect, and in general it's damn fun so far.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

I caught a few episodes of Modern Family at a friend's tonight and I have to say, it wasn't my cup of tea. I wanted to find it funny and I even thought I should find it funny but I just didn't, in the end. Even more of a bummer was we didn't make it to the episode that Edward Norton guest stars in, which was the main reason I agreed to watch it in the first place. Ah well. I've never been big on TV.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:53 am

modern family never has done much for me either. honestly i think its the interview format more than anything... it's trite in my mind.

anyone watch bones this week? did the deaths seem a little overly graphic this week or what?
Ubernaustrum

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:50 pm

This is probably one of my favorite moments in an entire show of awesome moments. I've watched it about a million times in the past month and I can't get enough. I mean, Barney kind of takes over the show sometimes, but the show doesn't forget everyone else. And those times are the best times ever.

Why is NPH so awesome? Answer this question, if you please.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:13 pm

anyone watch bones this week? did the deaths seem a little overly graphic this week or what?
I hardly ever watch Bones but just by chance I saw this week's show and the death in the beginning made me think, "whoa... that was surprisingly gruesome for network tv." My next thought was wondering if that was a realistic depiction of a head shot from a high powered rifle.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:29 pm

This is one of my favorite episode endings to HIMYM.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:13 pm

White text for Bones spoilers, even though if you've seen the commercial, you should know what happens.

I really freaking loved Bones this week. Yes, the beginning was graphic, but I've kind of learned to expect that from the show. Also, the commercials were basically telling us that the Grave Digger gets shot by a sniper, and you don't expect a show that's shown someone putting a dead body's hand on like a glove to exactly have that toned down.

It was an excellent episode overall. Plus, the really graphic death made the scene between Caroline and Sweets more believable. Season 6 is almost redeeming Season 5 for me. Not quite, but almost. Dr. Brennan is being given dimension again and not even more heartless than she was before she found out what happened to her family. They have apparently not totally abandoned the core humanity, empathy, and sweetness that existed, though hidden, in the first three seasons,

Also, frankly, the fact of the death of the Grave Digger -- and the fact that there is zero possibility of her living through it and returning -- was just very satisfying for me on an unconscious level although I wish to high heaven they'd done it the season of the first Grave Digger show, as not having that case resolved drove me totally and completely bonkers for a few weeks.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Super Bowl commercial comments:

Doritos are getting the biggest laugh from me, so far.

Pepsi Max commercials are trying too hard to be funny but I see what they were going for.

The Chevy Whatever that showed the first date and Facebook feed update after, heard via the car, made me want to delete my FB account, not buy that car, even though I'm actually a Chevy fan in general. How pathetic are people that being able to hear their FB feed updates from their car would entice them to buy it?

Really, Fast and Furious? Another movie?

I wasn't expecting all the animated celebrities (Eminem for some drink and BEP for Chatter).

Thor suddenly looks like a good movie to see. Or at least not a disappointing one.

And, I'm sad to say, I may have to see Transformers. Chicago looked beautiful in the previews.

ETA: Chrysler 200/Detroit tourism commercial was amazing. I thought it was pretty powerful.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Has anyone been watching Young Justice?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:59 pm

No, but I'm curious about it. Any good?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:28 pm

I saw the pilot. I thought it was good enough that I will likely download more episodes when I get a chance. I'm still waiting for another super hero show that compares to the DCAU stuff like Batman TAS and Justice League.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 am

I'm boycotting MSNBC and Fox News since they apparently can't be bothered to trade in their usual retarded bullshit for real news when there's actually something newsworthy occurring to justify their continued existence, aka Egypt. Though, since I never watched them in the first place I'm not sure it could really be called a "boycott". I'm just annoyed that MSNBC would rather air stupid prison documentaries that the Discovery Channel did better ten years ago than a live feed from Tahrir Square, though I guess to a certain degree it's a moot point now that even Anderson Cooper has been scared out of the country.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am

I saw the pilot. I thought it was good enough that I will likely download more episodes when I get a chance. I'm still waiting for another super hero show that compares to the DCAU stuff like Batman TAS and Justice League.
I watched a few episodes after Ginny got a toy Kid Flash from *coughMacDonaldscough* and I quite like it. It's a little weird how Robin is Dick Grayson, yet clearly is dressed and has hacker skills like Tim Drake, though.

Then I submitted a picture of her watching the show and playing with her toy to this awesome tumblr.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm

I didn't want to go into the Doctor Who thread in case of spoilers, but I just started watching this finally! We are about ten episodes in. Very excited!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 16, 2011 12:40 pm

I didn't want to go into the Doctor Who thread in case of spoilers, but I just started watching this finally! We are about ten episodes in. Very excited!
Yayyyy! Post your thoughts in the DW thread as you go!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon May 16, 2011 1:14 pm

:D Hurrah! I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon May 16, 2011 2:52 pm

Watched the show Community for the first time yesterday.

Legitly hilarious.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 am

Dear Hart Hanson,

Thank you for Season 6 of Bones, including and especially the finale. First of all, I'm extremely happy that I totally saw it coming, which means I get to go "neener-neener-neener" when talking with my husband. Secondly, Booth's reaction was perfect. Thirdly, Season 6 as a whole was far, far better than Season 5 -- or Season 4 for that matter. While I do not think I will ever, ever, ever forgive you for the Season 3 finale -- or the Season 4 finale, for that matter -- this does cool down some proportion of my anger. The Season 5 finale? I was just grateful to God that Season 5 was over. Not that all the episode premises were bad, but it drove me absolutely bonkers to see Brennan's character so reverted into caricature. While Season 6 has not totally solved that problem of her de-evolution, it's at least shown some progress (for example, 3rd to last episode). What I actually will never forgive you for is making her less feeling, less understanding, less human as the show went along, while for the first three seasons, we could see her growth as a person. You made a terrible mistake cutting Zach out of the show. They were not redundant characters. On the contrary, his total oblivion let her be more human. He was the one with Aspergers, she was the one with interpersonal family trauma. Sigh. Oh well. I suppose I shouldn't be so critical in a thank you letter. Anyhow. Thank you. I was ready to give up on the show last season, and I'm glad I did not.

Kirsten
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Over the past two weeks I shotgunned a show that I've been meaning to watch for about ten years: Red Dwarf.

It was pretty darn great.

I first read the (first) two books in middle school and loved them, didn't know there was a show for a few years, then just kept meaning to track down the actual seasons until remembering them abruptly a few weeks ago. Now here I am.

Back to Earth was surprisingly good.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:46 am

I need to actually get to Red Dwarf. I've had that show recommended to me for a decade or more by now. I'm still only working through SG-1 right now.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:13 pm

It may be trash tv, but it has Mr T, and thus I must watch it. Every single episode.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Game of Thrones has been phenomenal. The cast are flawless, even the ones I had reservations about going in. The action is well executed and engaging, and the story is structured and meted out so that even having read the books, I'm gripping the edge of my seat throughout. The gratuitous (read: very gratuitous) sex has been a little awkward at times - if you're watching or will watch, you'll know the scene I'm talking about - but it gives the show a feeling of not holding much back that lends itself to the intrigue and suspense.

Camelot, by direct comparison has been tolerable, but disappointing. The cast is pretty weak (Igraine has had very little screen time, but her capable delivery is something I look forward to), the tone is confused, caught somewhere between classical tragedy and a modern character drama, and the production values are disappointing. Costumes look like cosplay and the choreography might be best described as... lame. It has the advantage of being produced by the BBC and vast Welsh countryside as a backdrop, which gives it a more authentic medieval feel, but... well, it's just not enough.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:33 am

Game of Thrones has been phenomenal. The cast are flawless, even the ones I had reservations about going in. The action is well executed and engaging, and the story is structured and meted out so that even having read the books, I'm gripping the edge of my seat throughout. The gratuitous (read: very gratuitous) sex has been a little awkward at times - if you're watching or will watch, you'll know the scene I'm talking about - but it gives the show a feeling of not holding much back that lends itself to the intrigue and suspense.

Camelot, by direct comparison has been tolerable, but disappointing. The cast is pretty weak (Igraine has had very little screen time, but her capable delivery is something I look forward to), the tone is confused, caught somewhere between classical tragedy and a modern character drama, and the production values are disappointing. Costumes look like cosplay and the choreography might be best described as... lame. It has the advantage of being produced by the BBC and vast Welsh countryside as a backdrop, which gives it a more authentic medieval feel, but... well, it's just not enough.
QFT.

I'm loving Game of Thrones. It's just... perfect. I absolutely love Tyrion, I absolutely hate Joffery (I'm supposed to!), and I'm very sad at what I know is coming but I can't wait to see it.

Camelot has been disappointing, but I'm hoping it'll grow on me next season (is there a next season?).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:52 am

"Hello Britain, I'm Mr T, and this is my tv show!"

"This guy's seein' what it's like to park in a big puddle." *car drives into a fountain, submerging halfway* "It's wet!"

"What do you do when you don't got change for a parking metre?" *car drives right over it* "And what does it look like from a different angle?" *different angle shown* "Similar."

"BOOM! Look after your head, people! It's where all the happy thoughts are made!"

*laughing hysterically*

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:22 pm

i have only had a chance to see bits of game of thrones. what i have seen looks excellent. and i hear that it does the books justice. which is good. though the books are so frustrating....
i think i'll wait till it's on blu-ray and buy it. i can't wait. and it's been renewed for season 2.

also according to tv.com all my favorite shows have been renewed. which is great. though with scheduling of fringe.... not sure if it will make it much longer.

kind of disappointed by some of the cancellations, but there were only a few that bothered me. but still, there weren't any that i was overly faithful on watching.
Ubernaustrum

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:34 am

The only tv show I made it a point of watching on the tv, and not online, was canceled this year, after 5 seasons. It was time, I think, even though it still had decent ratings; the show was just getting too...convoluted and soap operatic for my tastes. With that said, it will be weird not having it around anymore. It was one of the best medicines for what turned out to be one of the worst relationships I've ever been in.

I'll watch MLP:FIM when that comes back on and I could probably even swing it so I'm watching it on the tv and not on youtube. And, erm, I guess I should try to catch up on BBT.

TV was never my strong suit past the TGIF days. I lack the commitment and motivation for most shows.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Game of Thrones has such a ridiculous amount of sex scenes; I'm kinda shocked it was recommended to me by a 16 year old female friend. Though, she did warn me about that. I assumed it wouldn't actually show anything. Or maybe I'd just hear noises, or see ruffling under some covers. Alas, I'm an HBO noob. (never had it and Im watching the show online)

I really hate Geof or whatever his name is for getting the Butcher's son and Dire wolf killed. And he's a cocky little brat.

Jaime Lannister's interesting, and nontheless a douchebag.

Can't decide who my favorite character, probably that little Stark girl who wants to become some type of swordswoman. Ariel? Something like that.

I want to see Drago?(the leader of those barbaric fighter people) and the Mountain fight.

For some reason I keep wishing Kvothe was in this show; he opposes nobility so much and it'd be fun to see how him and the Lannister's would interact. Too bad he's in a different book series. :cry:

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:20 pm

yeah, i think that HBO has a gratuitous sex scene quota for it's shows.

"about how many sex scenes do you think you can cram into each episode?"

"maybe five?"

"hmmmm that's a little below our standard 8 sex scene quota, do you think you can ramp it up a bit"

"uh.... if we did it would probably detract from the actual plot...."

"what's a plot? we sell sex, sir!"
Ubernaustrum

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:03 am

Game of Thrones Spoilers:

I absolutely despise Joffrey. And that f****** traitor brothel a******. My body was actually clenching in anger, in real life.

I can't deny, I had a tear in my eye when Eddard died.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:56 pm

I really love Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I get teared up at least once an episode. I wish every American would watch it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm

I wish every American would watch it.
This may be a dumb question but why? For the food re-education, to see how bad things are for certain communities that may be representative of a nation-wide trend?

I don't eat particularly well but I also don't think I eat entirely awfully, either, and food is one of those personal things that I get strangely defensive about when people tell me how to do it better or how I should be thinking of it. It doesn't matter if they are likely right, I just don't want to hear it. I mean, I don't go around telling people they should exercise for 30-60 minutes a day, even if they should (though, we all should); it's none of my business.

I'm reasonably healthy, I don't think I'll gain enough healthy years to offset the trouble, and these days, it seems like if it's not one thing that's going to get you, it's something else. Also, to be quite honest, I simply can't afford to eat the way I assume I should be eating.

ETA: Sorry if that has bitch-tone. I was simply laying out my stance and I'm afraid it sounds harsher than I mean it to be.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Actually, for none of those reasons specifically. The most shocking things to me are the demonstrations he does to show what go into a hamburger or a chicken nugget or how they make certain ingredients (like human hair in cookie dough ice cream). It reminds me why I try to know where my food comes from, when possible. Or to buy things with the fewest ingredients possible (like Breyers ice cream). But the reason I wish people would watch it is to see the deplorable state of good food education in children. He asks kids where different foods come from and it's really unbelievable what they think. Quite a few thought that butter came from sweet corn. Or they didn't know that fries are made from potatoes. That kind of thing. It's really not preachy about food, other than try not to eat too much fast food. And there is a really bad diabetes epidemic going on.

Oh, and eta, I just saw this:
It doesn't matter if they are likely right, I just don't want to hear it.
Based on that, you might not like to hear some of things in the show. But really, I just find the show and Jamie very earnest and moving.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for explaining. :)
It's really not preachy about food
I can handle conversation, so long as this is the case. I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with a certain member of Pweb I won't name, where they would not shut up with the "You really need to try my diet." Um, no I don't; I want bread and tortillas. Then it turned into, "But I feel really good and I want others to feel good, too." Don't give a hoot. I feel fine. Etc, etc.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 pm

We just got caught up on Fringe. This season had a lot of weird lows in it: Peter's random tangent that involves guns and such that never got a proper conclusion, the stupid cartoon episode (which was done for logistical reasons with Nemoy, but come on), the season finale that was almost kind of necessary but otherwise was kind of lame (paradoxes are a silly cop-out sometimes) and I really hope they don't bring that mechanic back because it didn't add much.

Honestly, I'm ready for the show to be finished and concluded. Not going to happen, of course. Maybe it's time for me to finally watch all of Lost.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”