Pweb Meta Talk: Can we move it? Make it better?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

New forum software:

phpbb
42%
SMF
58%

Total votes: 19

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Shall we just abruptly start redirecting people there?
Is there any way to formally do this? More than, "Oh, hey, it's up now. Please post there?"
Well, I can just tell philoticweb.net and philoticweb.net/phpBB2 to redirect to philoticweb.net/phpBB3
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 pm

My vote is for the redirect. Please give people some time to show up and voice their opinions. I don't know what's a fair amount of time to wait since people have been quiet.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Just do the redirect. :-)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Ok, now you're an admin over there, Fris. I didn't realize it was a two step process over there when it's a one click thing here.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Yes. Redirect. Let's get this party started.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:02 pm

My vote is for the redirect.
Ditto.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Starts chanting Re! Dir! Ect! Re! Dir! Ect! RE! DIR! ECT!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Yes. Redirect. Let's get this party started.
Oooh, party. 8) :D
Pweb member since 2000

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 pm

I'll drink just to the fact that Ela has been around quite a bit more (posting!) in the past month. We should do upgrades more often. :P

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Admin/Mods:
Jan
EL
Adam

Mini-Mods:
Rahl (EnderVerse Novels and Stories, if they have to be assigned a forum)
Steve (EnderVerse Novels and Stories, see above)

Tech Admin Access:
Noodle
Wil
W S
zero
I approve of the mod and tech admin lists. That said, I think there should be a standard practice that we all agree on for how to select people to these positions. And I think it's important for that process to be transparent and democratic for all.

Also, I'm not sure what the point of "mini-mods" are, if they're not there to actively moderate anything. Basically, I think Rahl and Steve should both be given special titles recognizing their past service, and if they should choose to return, considered for reinstatement of powers.
As for the tech people with admin access, I don't know how horrible an idea it is to have generic "Tech 1", "Tech 2", etc. usernames separate from regular account usernames, to only be used in situations where it is necessary to have access to the admin level stuff
I actually think this is a really good idea. Though, to be fair, I think the same thing should apply to the mods. Maybe not necessarily Tech 1, Mod 1, etc., but some sort of distinct account, at least.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 pm

I agree with Syphon's modifications to Alea's post.

I also agree with the deletion of the 0 post count usernames if they haven't been used in a year and if it can be done without a lot of effort.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:33 pm

I'll drink just to the fact that Ela has been around quite a bit more (posting!) in the past month. We should do upgrades more often. :P
Something else happened in the last month that clearly had something to do with Ela posting as well. ;)

I also agree with Syphon's modifications to Alea's post.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Something else happened in the last month that clearly had something to do with Ela posting as well. ;)

I also agree with Syphon's modifications to Alea's post.
So you think I'm posting more because of you, do you Noodle? ;)

And thanks, Ms. Defier of Gravity. :P
Pweb member since 2000

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Well *maybe* it's just a coincidence that I came back and you started talking more. Maybe... ;)
Last edited by Noodle on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:16 am

[Directional Post]

I'm throwing my vision out there to be critiqued and to be taken into consideration while we wait to hear what can be done next. :P

My input on tech stuff:

PHPBB Upgrade: Yes

Domain Name transfer: Yes

Addition of homepage/site: Yes

FORUM STRUCTURE:
Community
- Foyer
- Milagre
- Battle Room

OSC Works
- EnderVerse Novels and Stories
- Other OSC Works
- Movie Discussion (Official and Speculation)

ARCHIVES
- Archives (movie, book, discussions, submissions housed within -not visable from front page of forum)

Jeebsy supplied that, with the addition of the archive idea by me. I think all the things within the parentheses should be viewable but locked. Well, honestly, I think they should be invisible archives but I don't know how well received that would be. Either way, I think activity should be encouraged elsewhere. I never understood how the mods decided one thing or another was or wasn't good enough to get it's own space like that and have its own mini-mod. Book and movie talk can take place in Milagre, new site talk can take place in here.

ADMIN:

Admin/Mods:

Jan
EL
Adam

Mini-Mods:
Rahl (EnderVerse Novels and Stories, if they have to be assigned a forum)
Steve (EnderVerse Novels and Stories, see above)

Tech Admin Access:

Noodle
Wil
W S
zero

I'm in favor of keeping Rahl and Steve in some sort of official, more than a peon position because they are originals but since they are mostly inactive, I don't think they need full admin powers. As for the tech people with admin access, I don't know how horrible an idea it is to have generic "Tech 1", "Tech 2", etc. usernames separate from regular account usernames, to only be used in situations where it is necessary to have access to the admin level stuff; I also wouldn't mind just making their regular accounts into admin. If anyone wants to walk, it would be easy enough to remove the access to their regular accounts, yes?

Everyone else, "Thanks for your services, whatever they may have been, but your job here is done." Upgraded software should take care of most spam and the rest can be taken care of by one of the tech people, I would think.

If we use Will's godaddy account, great, but I'm not sure that should equate to him needing admin access. In theory, he'd give that info to the tech people anyway and would be contactable somehow, should he be needed with regards to it. He did say to me off board he wanted to get upgraded forum software so he could stop deleting spam and then he wanted out; I'm taking him at his word there.

ACCOUNT DELETION:

After a year of carrying a post count of "0", an account gets deleted. If a user can flag all their alts *cough*syphon*cough* they can keep them, at post counts of "0," indefinitely. If they can't, they won't miss them when they're deleted and can always go back later and recreate any they later remember.

SITE ADDITION:

Chris said he'd work on that on the tech side. Not sure of his intentions (use Wil's or start from scratch) but I suspect it'll be exactly as easy to add to or update as the one Wil and I were working on. That, I would like to see help from everyone who is willing, and I know b_w wasn't thrilled that he wasn't given access to actually add info, so if it was worked in (without going to ugly or cookie cutter, non-personalized wiki style to make it happen) that many people could, that would be good. We have some of the old content from Ami, which is cool, but content can be worried about after forum software is taken care of.

I somehow missed this post.

You're missing Dr. Mobius as a mod. He's done quite a bit of work behind the scenes this past year and he's going to be a full mod on the new board. I think we need one more mod and I'm going to make it him.

I agree with the forum structure, though I may consider archiving the Battle Room as well. Most of the stuff from the foyer can be archived, I have a new concise faq and rules that can go up asap.

Other stuff:

Once we redirect, I assume it's fairly easy to change the look? I've been poking around the admin stuff there and trying to work out as much as I can on my own.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 am

That said, I think there should be a standard practice that we all agree on for how to select people to these positions. And I think it's important for that process to be transparent and democratic for all.
You're missing Dr. Mobius as a mod. He's done quite a bit of work behind the scenes this past year and he's going to be a full mod on the new board. I think we need one more mod and I'm going to make it him.
Sorry but that part seemed a bit odd to me. Especially based on what Syphon said and quite a few of us we agreed with. I was hoping the "appointing mods" process in the new version would be, as he said, "transparent and democratic"; not just at the whim of a current mod. Starting over could be a chance to do things differently including appointing Mods that everyone feels deserve to be mods. I'm not saying that Mobius should NOT be, but that the decision should be made together.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Pweb Meta Talk: Can we move it? Make it better?

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:34 am

Sorry but that part seemed a bit odd to me. Especially based on what Syphon said and quite a few of us we agreed with. I was hoping the "appointing mods" process in the new version would be, as he said, "transparent and democratic"; not just at the whim of a current mod. Starting over could be a chance to do things differently including appointing Mods that everyone feels deserve to be mods. I'm not saying that Mobius should NOT be, but that the decision should be made together.
I couldn't have said it better, Nomi.

The old system of appointing mods was predicated on the fact that those doing the appointing were founders/owners of the site. That isn't the case, anymore. The only original mod we still have is Adam, who is off getting married. Plus, I thought that the whole point of us getting stuff from Ami was so that the community "owned" the site. Isn't that why the tech people are asking for domain transfer? So that we own it? So that we get a say in how things run, look, etc.?

Personally, I'm not convinced we need another mod. But if we do (and even if we don't), I think it's more appropriate to figure out how mods and admins are going to be selected (before any new ones are created).

And if the community decides to continue using the status quo of mod selection, that's fine. Because it was a community decision.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Re:

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 am

You're missing Dr. Mobius as a mod. He's done quite a bit of work behind the scenes this past year
I wouldn't say I was missing anyone. I don't know that anyone knows what he has done for the board in the past year except delete bots and create the new section of the board for discussion. Well, he's joked about abusing mod powers, too, powers that EL told him to stop joking about because he was not a mod and his place hadn't been decided.

I like Josh, I am appreciative of the clean-up he did. I don't know that it means he specifically should be the new mod if we actually need one.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:50 am

I vote for status quo and making Dr. Mobius a mod if that's something that the current active mods agree on. I'm sort of in a "if it ain't broke..." place. Pweb doesn't need a lot of modding, I think the current active mods have done a fine job, and will trust their judgment on the need for a new mod. And, basically, I'm for community-based transparency decisions, but I really just don't want to see a lot of conflict over something that I think isn't a huge problem, currently.

Also, I'm somewhat anti-democracy and pro-oligarchy for some of the decisions that happen here. Not decisions on aesthetics or more superficial details, but decisions about modding/admin/things that are going to seriously affect site direction. I'm not so much anti-democracy due to current membership, but looking forward to if/when a movie happens and if we get a bunch more traffic/newbies. We -- and particularly the people who have worked so hard to make the new site happen, including techies, Jan, and Alea -- are, essentially, the founders of the new, improved site. I don't want decisions made purely based on popularity with the masses, even though I currently implicitly trust pweb's collective wisdom, that won't always necessarily be the case.

Anyhow, here's what I'd propose as far as a system of appointing new mods, if/when that needs to happen (i.e., if we're not all pro-status quo). At least two (maybe three?) mods initially approve and propose a new mod. They put that out in a sticky thread, and leave it up for objections/debate for, say, a week. If there are no objections made, POOF! New mod. If there are objections, it goes to general vote.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re:

Postby Ela » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 am

[quote="Ela"}

Well *maybe* it's just a coincidence that I came back and you started talking more. Maybe... ;)[/quote]

:D

Edited to add: How come the "quotes" didn't work right in Noodle's and my posts?
Pweb member since 2000

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 am

Uhm. Okay.

So I was under the impression that I was going to be in charge. I don't mean to step on toes, but that was a decision that was made way back at the beginning of this thread. So that's why I thought I could appoint mods.
I'm not against a committee. But I really, really think we need more then just 3 mods, especially since EL just had a baby and isn't going to have the time and energy to mod as much, locke said awhile ago that he might not even be interested in modding, and I really can't do it all on my own.
The reason I wanted to appoint Dr. M is that he's been basically a mod for the past year.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah, I was sort of under that impression, too, Jan.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Re:

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 am

Edited to add: How come the "quotes" didn't work right in Noodle's and my posts?
The BBCode isn't correct. There's a "}" where there should be a "]".

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:58 am

The BBCode isn't correct. There's a "}" where there should be a "]".
Hmm, I'm not seeing that. All I did was click on "quote" and then type.

I don't know what Noodle did. :P
Pweb member since 2000

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 am

Noodle used the wrong bracket: [quote="Ela"}

Also, I agree with the 'Jan is in charge' sentiment.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 am

okay then. Thank you for your support. Techies, Meet me at camera 3.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/fisubice2/ I think this is a pretty style. Like the old one but better. How do we make the forum look like that, techies?

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 am

okay then. Thank you for your support. Techies, Meet me at camera 3.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/fisubice2/ I think this is a pretty style. Like the old one but better. How do we make the forum look like that, techies?
I uploaded it to the server. I can't actually turn it on without Admin privileges, though. There should be a tab on the Admin Control Panel called Styles where you can Install it.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 am

So I was under the impression that I was going to be in charge. I don't mean to step on toes, but that was a decision that was made way back at the beginning of this thread. So that's why I thought I could appoint mods.
And I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that you're in charge. But being "in charge" doesn't have to mean "makes decisions without community input." It can be, if that's what everyone wants. But I don't think it necessarily has to be.

(And, for the record, this isn't exactly the first time I've brought this up. I was basically told we'd have plenty of time for discussion before any new mod decisions would need to be made, so we could all discuss it, but we should just do it later.)

Well, he's joked about abusing mod powers, too, powers that EL told him to stop joking about because he was not a mod and his place hadn't been decided.
Well, he's also non-joked about doing mod stuff (e.g, splitting and locking the Things I Don't Understand thread) and was told not to by EL.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:51 am

I uploaded it to the server. I can't actually turn it on without Admin privileges, though. There should be a tab on the Admin Control Panel called Styles where you can Install it.
I enabled it, and it's defaulted for everyone. Again, not stepping on toes; just bored at work.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 am

I enabled it, and it's defaulted for everyone. Again, not stepping on toes; just bored at work.

Thanks. I couldn't quite figure it out before my kids demanded my attention.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 am

It's no Picasso, but it's a step up from the phpbb default logo.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 am

It's no Picasso, but it's a step up from the phpbb default logo.
Nice.

Do we still have Wil's old dragon?

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:29 am

I approve.

Although....I wonder if I'll ever get a little wistful and miss Screaming Lord Voldemort....

Probably not.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am

No, I'm very, very certain I will not miss screaming lady.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:40 am

I'll address a few things here:

I typoed on the quote to ela. My bad. It's been fixed in the original post now.

RE Forum styles: I don't have admin powers I can't set it up myself, but if we set the "Override Style" set to "no" we can allow users to pick the style they want for themselves. We can set one specific style up as the "default" style that users who haven't customized it can use, but there's no reason we can't allow for some individuality for registered users. (I'm saying we upload maybe 5-10 styles and allow users to pick between them)

Mod powers. I haven't been around the community enough recently to know the history of Dr M. as mod, so I don't feel like I can cast a valid vote on him as a mod personally.

I can say however, that I trust Jan, and I agree that we could use another mod. I'm not sure how to proceed here. I like democracy, but like I've been stating earlier in this thread, I also think some things should be decided by a governing body and not every user needs to have a say on every single decision. The mod decision is probably the most important decision of the board however, since it's the mods that would be making the decisions about everything else...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”