BsG - Come nerd out with me, please. Spoilers.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

BsG - Come nerd out with me, please. Spoilers.

Postby Petrie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 am

This weekend I managed to get through the miniseries and episodes 3-10 of the first season. I need people to talk to me about this or I may start to struggle with making it through all the seasons (as it's longer than most I watch by myself by about 4 seasons).

I'm really tired at the moment so my thoughts are going to be pretty stupid but here we go:

I struggle with names, so it wasn't until an episode today that I learned the Colonel's name was Tigh. I only remember it this time because of the name of the episode (Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down). Prior to that, I called him McCain because he reminded me of our Senator.

Gaius (whose name I remember because he made the awful pun "I'm your guy/Gaius") gets into some hilarious situations but he makes me feel so damn anxious.

Starbuck is my favorite character, hands down. She is such a badass.

Whenever Helo appeared on screen, I'd say hi to him and ask how long he'd been on Caprica, which would then be answered by the text on screen.

Sharon-on-Galactica is asking to be called a cylon with all the caressing she did of that aircraft Starbuck brought back. I might be expected to be sympathetic to her character but so far, it's a no-go. She mostly just annoys me.

Last comment, which may be inappropriate but I have to say it: if they had more interesting sex than missionary or girl on top, they might have caught a few female cylons when their backs lit up like Christmas trees.

Anyhow. Thoughts? Keep me company in here?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:54 am

As long as I'm around you'll have at least one person to discuss BSG with. :)

Except that I can't actually think of much to say about the early episodes. I had sympathy for Sharon at first, but it diminished over time for reasons that I can't discuss with you yet. Helo and Caprica-Sharon are two of my favourite characters though.

And yeah, the glowing spine seems to be a bit of a design flaw. I don't think you see it anymore after the first season, as the writers probably decided that it made the cylons seem too mechanical. I mean, if they're supposed to be virtually indistinguishable from humans right down to a cellular level, why would they have such an obvious tell?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:45 am

I knew you would like Starbuck, Alea. She gets pretty crazy but she remained one of my favorites.

Tigh and Gaius are probably my least favorite characters throughout the show. I have a hard time finding redeeming qualities in them.

This show does really good at throwing huge surprises out at you, so get ready. ;)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:47 am

I watched the whole thingexcept for the last five episodes in one big binge-watch last winter while I was unemployed. I got this temp job then, and so didn't finish the series. But then I knew that everyone was so appalled by the finale that it sort of made me not want to finish it at all, because I didn't want it to be ruined for me (Like LOST has been).

I'll eventually get around to watching the whole thing; I'll probably rewatch the series to refresh myself leading up to it.

I can't really remember the order of things, so I won't comment too much, except to say that I love Starbuck and the President, and that I really hate Callie. She gets on my nerves.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm

People always bitch about endings. I thought it was fine.
Tigh and Gaius are probably my least favorite characters throughout the show. I have a hard time finding redeeming qualities in them.
I don't know... I found them both to be sympathetic characters at times. Gaius, for all his egotism and selfishness is never malicious or intent on causing harm. The questionable things he does are mostly done out of ignorance or under duress.

*SEASON 3 SPOILERS*

I was really rooting for him during his trial at the end of season 3. Everyone was so quick to make him the scapegoat for what happened on New Caprica, but for crying out loud, the Cylons forced him to sign execution orders with a gun at his head! Few people would have resisted any more than he did given the circumstances

*END SPOILERS*

And Tigh, he's just an old soldier who's loyal to his oldest friend and loves his wife so much that he can't see how distructive she is.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:26 pm

To me, Gaius has no backbone or moral compass. He follows the path of least resistance to wherever his needs/wants will be best met and has no loyalty to anyone.

Tigh is loyal at least to Adama but that's about where his redemption ends for me.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 pm

The start of the show is pretty intense. I remember feeling like I couldn't handle watching it because I couldn't catch a breath - all the running from the Cylons.

Not much comic relief on BSG.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 pm

I actually thought the ending to BSG was quite good considering that I think the writers had no idea where they were going with the series. Some people hate endings like that (Lost), but I don't mind them. The BSG finale had a lot of action, and I really liked what they did with it -- it's just not everyones cup of tea.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 am

Looking back on BSG, the whole thing was a little weird. I only started watching in in the third season, so I got tons of action packed into it when I was watching, but in the first two seasons there was a lot of fluff - not in terms of being lighthearted, but plotlines and episodes that didn't have much to do with the larger story. They made a big deal out of the ending, insisting that BSG was envisioned from the start and carried out until the end as a single story with a beginning, middle, and end, but truth be told, I think they had stuck to it, the show could have been over and done with in three season. For example, the episode with Helo and the Doctor (Deliberately being vague to avoid spoilers) was, form the point of view of the show, an entire episode spent hammering home that Helo was stubborn and principled. Everything else going on in that episode is dropped or only vaguely referenced from then on, despite being portrayed as major concerns in the fleet. The show constantly builds tense situations, and then cashes out on that tension in inconsequential ways.

As for the ending... well. I get the feeling they got to the last few episodes and realized that all the mystery and innuendo of the show had been completely misinterpreted, and the attempts to correct that message at the end were utterly ineffective and just weighed the whole thing down. That and I think Edward James Olmos thinks he is Bill Adama now, and it's just awkward for everyone that way.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:18 am

I'm only partway into S2, so I'm not reading the whole thread. I got a bit overwhelmed with the TENSION! and the soap-opera-ness of it, and I haven't been back to it since I got distracted with first Primeval and now Stargate: Atlantis. I probably should get back to it sometime.

There's a Sheldon for every occasion!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:23 am

Are the spoilers on that second comic true or are they fabrications that are there for comedic purposes? I stopped before I read the whole thing, just in case those are real spoilers.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:42 am

Only one panel contains some kind of actual spoilers but they aren't that big of spoilers since you could kind of see them coming from the behaviors of the characters all along. The rest is just silly made up stories.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:52 pm

I actually didn't think of them as possibly having spoilers. I'm sorry! :oops: Sheldon is just so tongue-in-cheek that it didn't occur to me there could be real plotlines buried in the absurdity.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:53 pm

This Trailer for season 3 still gives me goosebumps.

Alea, you should watch it once you finish the second season. Obviously there are major spoilers if you watch it before then.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:57 pm

I was farther along in the season than I remembered; I was at episode 14, not 11, so I just finished season 1. I can't believe that Caprica-Sharon is pregnant. I mean, I really don't believe her. There will probably be a bouncing baby something or other soon enough but I won't believe it 'til I see it.

As for Galactica-Sharon, I can't wait to see what they do to her for shooting Adama. Naturally, I blame Gaius because he should have turned her in long ago -and pissed me off when he made it clear (to the audience) he wasn't going to inform anyone of their true status- but then we wouldn't get any of this fun story!

Madam president is severely pissing me off with her "My religion tells me this is the right thing to do..." stuff. Separate church and state, please and thanks.

And Starbuck...why? I hate that she was persuaded by Roslin, even if Adama did lie to her (and everyone else) about knowing where Earth was.

I'll probably start season 2 later today.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Season 3, episode 8, "Unfinished Business."

Flashbacks abound in between scenes in the present time, in which the crew is having a series of boxing matches. It's largely about Starbuck and Apollo and it broke my heart. It made me even more angry with her, which I already was thanks to her sleeping around, because of what she did to Lee.

I wonder if I've been so angry with her lately because some of her actions/decisions remind me of me. Not that I think we're all that similar but there are some things.

I was hoping there'd be a Starbuck-Kat fight because I loathe Kat. Her attitude in general makes me wish I were on the battlestar so I could pop her one and I don't consider myself a violent person.

I've had more thoughts overall but my brother isn't giving me any free time to think or post much. It's been back to back shows this entire time he's been here.

Good show but I can see how the drama might get to some people. It's definitely soap-operatic.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:10 am

That was a really powerful episode.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:11 am

To me, Gaius has no backbone or moral compass. He follows the path of least resistance to wherever his needs/wants will be best met and has no loyalty to anyone.

Tigh is loyal at least to Adama but that's about where his redemption ends for me.
I love Gaius because of that. It's interesting to see what someone that self-serving but still intelligent will do. Tigh is the old soldier that does what he's told, Adama is the father to his men, Kara is the hothead maverick, etc. but a highly functioning sociopath with an imaginary girlfriend is definitely going to keep you on your toes.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Did they really kill off Starbuck's character or are they toying with my emotions? I am in shock. I'm also wondering if she won't show up later (as a cylon).
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Starbuck go boom...
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:09 pm

You don't really want us to answer that, do you?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:11 pm

I wouldn't spoil anything for her even if she did want me to. Spoilers are evil.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Whoa.

What the frack?! Season 3 season finale = BEST season finale of the show so far and probably my second favorite episode of the series.

The music was awesome. Chief, Sam, Tigh, president's assistant whose name I don't know because I don't really care for her are cylons? Starbuck probably went boom, just like I saw, but is also possibly showing Lee (and the rest) to Earth? He's hallucinating, she's the last cylon, or third unknown option.

I repeat: Whoa.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:42 am

Note that the music which "activates" the 4 is "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan. The 4 also mention lyrics from it in passing during the last couple of episodes of the season.

Or maybe you noticed that all already. The musical significance was lost on me when I first saw those episodes.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:13 am

I wouldn't spoil anything for her even if she did want me to. Spoilers are evil.
It was a rhetorical question. I wasn't going to spoil anything.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:16 am

Note that the music which "activates" the 4 is "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan.
I think the most famous version of the song was by Jimi Hendrix.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

The version they play is a remake done by BSG's musical dude-person Bear McCreary which was based upon the one done by Jimi Hendrix. It is a very important aspect to BSG, especially later on, so I won't say anything else.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”