Allergies and Sinuses - A TMI Thread!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 am

It's Evil Sinus Weather. Something about this province's weather hates my sinuses.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:02 am

Me too! Well, for me I think it's the mold from fallen leaves except it's never been a problem in previous years. My eyes are itching non-stop!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:42 pm

It can't be the falling leaves because I noticed this problem back in spring/early summer. But I DO think it has something to do with the costal air currents and pressure shifts. It's all I can think of.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Have you ever tried a neti pot? I use a variation of one called the Neilmed Sinus Rinse. It helps a lot of people.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Yep, been using one for months. It helps a little, but the pain/blockage seems to be higher up than it can really get to. I've had some success with advil cold and sinus, more than just straight-up advil, so that's something at least.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:53 pm

If you haven't already, I would also try Mucinex or the generic guaifenesin. It helps thin mucus wherever it is in your body - chest, sinuses, etc - so it can drain. The pills smell/taste bad and you have to drink lots of water to help it work but it doesn't have nasty side effects like decongestants (advil sinus) do.

Sorry to derail the thread, feel free to pm me. I know lots about allergies, sinuses and drugs!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks, Nomi! Could you PM me a couple more suggestions to take a look at? I'm not sure mucous thinning in the right thing, but we've already derailed the thread enough, lol.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:17 am

I just recently got introduced to mucinix and I think it is a miracle drug. mmmm

and, err, mucinex plus one beer a little while later leads to the most drunk adam has ever been, more than when I did six shots. wow!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 am

I'm guessing you took the cough suppressant variety of Mucinex, with dextromethorphan added. The plain old guaifenesin would not have done that but the dextro could have. That's the stuff kids steal from drugstores to get high off of.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:28 am

I'm guessing you took the cough suppressant variety of Mucinex, with dextromethorphan added. The plain old guaifenesin would not have done that but the dextro could have. That's the stuff kids steal from drugstores to get high off of.
Nomi, when I was pregnant with Brayden and had a cold, my OB told me to take guaifenesin. I took the plain old stuff, since she didn't give me permission to take anything more. It totally knocked me out, like benedryl or sudafed. My sister gets knocked out by just about everything ever. I think some people are more sensitive to it.

Adam may have taken the DM, though.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 am

Wow, that's surprising. Drowsiness isn't even listed as a possible side effect of regular mucinex. However, sudafed makes me so wired that I can't take it within hours of sleeping, so I guess everyone is different.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Last night I decided to try the second sample of nasal spray my doctor gave me. Holy cow!!! It didn't clear out anything in the higher-up sinuses, but almost immediately the lower ones cleared out, which was a LOT more comfort for sleeping than I expected. It was fantastic, and I'm actually a little excited to report that back to her.

And I'm sure you're curious, Nom, so I'll tell you it was Avamys (fluticasone furoate). :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 pm

I always forget about you canadians and your free health insurance! For some reason I assumed you couldn't get real drugs from a dr and were just looking for OTC options. That nasal spray is called Veramyst here in the US and it's the same one that I use. I think it's awesome too. *But* keep in mind that it works best after continued use, like after a week or so of daily use. It's not really meant to be used once in awhile or as needed. So, try to remember to use it regularly and you'll see the biggest benefit (and will hopefully get to your upper sinuses). I don't think I would survive the winter without it.

And to keep this somewhat on topic...it has been sleeting heavily and snowing lightly all day!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:09 pm

I used it this morning, too. I've been really congested lately, so this is just a godsend for me. I'll probably use it every morning or evening (haven't decided when is a better time yet).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:12 pm

What works best for me (to remember regularly) is right after my shower. I blow my nose first and then do it two times in each nostril.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:25 pm

I wonder if it would work in conjunction with the neti pot?

Also, do you think we should split this off into a new thread?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Separate thread is fine with me...allergies and sinus issues?

Anyway, from what I've read, using a neti pot (and then blowing your nose) is great right before using the nasal spray. Just don't blow your nose or do any irrigation within a few hours of applying the spray.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Good to know. I was planning on the neti first, but now I'll make sure not to do it the other way round. (I might have, just to see - amateur science at work!)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:17 pm

I think you understood but just to clarify...that should have said "don't blow your nose or do any irrigation within a few hours after applying the spray."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Tried the neti followed by the spray today. Worked pretty good. Yesterday was pretty awful, and I woke up with some terrible pressure-pain today. Advil Cold & Sinus has been helping when I have bad spells, but I'm thinking of trying an allergy med, in case there's something I've never discovered that I'm allergic to (never been allergic to anything, really).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:27 am

It's definitely worth a try. Allergies can develop any time in life. Mine didn't appear until I was 18 and then it was all at once; allergic to everything environmental. Right now it would probably be a mold allergy from leaves on the ground (I assume you have those there). The good thing is the newer allergy meds are OTC and you can get generic versions. Look for loratadine.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:00 pm

For #$%^&* sake, now I have a cold. So far it's just a mild one, but I am definitely stuffed up. Blaaaargh. Dang eustacian tubes! It feels like decending on an airplane, except for my ears refuse to pop. I do think the neti and the avamyst helped the sinus part of the congestion, though. I even recommended my dad try it, and he's had horrible, horrible migraines for years - mostly when the pressure changes. I hope it helps him.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Mom just had her nose fixed yesterday, got her deviated septum realigned and fixed her sinuses so she (hopefully) won't get as many sinus infections. She has this thing strapped to her face right now that looks like headgear to help with leakage.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:38 am

Over the cold! Hurrah! Now I'm just back to regular stuffiness. At least no migraines, though.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:07 am

I forgot my allergy pill yesterday and I'm paying for it this morning. Also, I think it's about time to start using my humidifier at night. My nose is getting that painful, dry feeling.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

It's so cold and dry here (not really THAT cold, and it's sunny, so I'm just glorying in it), and my sinuses are sooooo happy with me. And I with them.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Wow, it's the opposite for me. As it gets colder and drier here, the heat is coming on more and drying out my sinuses which is bad news for them. I am waking up every morning with major congestion. The problem is that it is congestion combined with dried out passages, so that when I blow I usually break some small blood vessel and cause bleeding. Then the bleeding clots over and I break the clot every time I blow for weeks. I have been using my neti pot (actually NeilMed SinuRinse) daily and I'm going to have to pull out my humidifier darn soon.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:35 am

I'm just glad I'm not getting the annual nose bleeds I had in Toronto. I never used to get a bloody nose until I went through winters there.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 pm

LOL
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 am

Oh good, it's one of the multi-day jokes!

Today has been unpleasant. Not the worst pain ever, but first it was the right side, then that abated and it moved to the left side. Stupid sinuses.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I have a cold. Nuts to that! It's mostly my throat, and a little bit my sinuses, but blech. At least it waited until after we flew to hit me, since flying + sinus congestion = pain. In other news, my dad hooked me up with Walmart-brand cold and sinus pills that don't contain any tylenol or advil. They're waaaay cheaper and I like to gauge my own painkillers anyway. Woo!

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 pm

My allergies are actually worse during the winter, for some bizarre reason, as opposed to spring or fall, which is normally the case for other people. So I haven't been able to smell particularly well of late, and my nose is eternally running. As for food allergies... Another case of anaphylaxis about two and a half months ago. This time, it was a fish fry and then a soccer game that led to an exercise induced reaction. I ended up in the emergency room, with a puke stained jersey. And the jersey was white! (But my mom worked miracles with water and Oxi Clean.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 pm

It could be ass-mar in addition to allergies... I know mine gets ugly in cold weather sometimes.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Freaking "cold." Well, now I guess I know what a sinus infection feels like! Oh, it's always fun playing "what new sickness do we get to experience now!" Anyway, I'm mostly over it, but I haven't sounded like myself for a week and a half, and I'm really looking forward to getting my real voice back.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”