Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Have it use the accelerometer to make wiping sound effects while you simulate wiping your butt.

ETA: Lol, this is a great way to start a new page.
The enemy's fly is down.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:26 pm

What exactly is the sound of "wiping"? lol

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:28 pm

I don't know, it's just an idea and the accelerometer should throw a monkey wrench in your otherwise simple coding.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:29 pm

A small cat paw that reaches up and rips off half a roll? Set to happen at random?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:47 pm

sometimes simpler is better, sounds good. I want a commission if you actually put it in the app store. :)

playing on the 'sounds of wiping your butt'you could customize a wiping sound with various other wiping sounds. Like the squeaky sound of wiping a window clean.

I agree that a kitty needs to be added because kitty's make everything better.

The photo to the TP is a brilliant idea.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Teacher really got a laugh out of my project and approved it. Now, to make a toilet paper animation and track down sufficient sound effects.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:05 pm

On this one, I've already asked google and wikipedia, but they're not really idealised for this question.

I'm thinking of making my sister a necklace for Christmas. She's a chemical engineer, so I was thinking that doing a model of a chemical in beads and wire would be pretty cool, and a fun in-joke for her. I'm just having trouble with picking a molecule.

I want something more or less symmetrical, with maybe 3 or 4 different atoms involved (each would be a different colour bead), and something fairly common. Isopropyl alcohol is looking like a possible contender, as is something involving benzene. But I'm just not sure.

Perhaps one of our resident nerds could help me out? Jason? Ollie? Anybody?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 pm

How about Kevlar to keep her safe?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Possibly that could work. I need to go see what sizes I can find at the bead store. The double bonds have puzzled me for days, as to how to execute them.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:21 pm

caffeine maybe?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Chocolate is also pretty simple. Double bonds are tricky though. Maybe you could find a wider bead to go between them?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 am

Ethylamine is currently the top contender. For a non-chemist, I'd want something fun for sure, like chocolate or caffeine or booze, but I think since my sister is a chem geek and all her coworkers are chem geeks, ethylamine should be "common" enough. I hope she wears it to work!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 am

Can someone find out for me what the deal is with ceiling fans and turning in either direction? There's a switch on ours that changes the direction - does it make a difference? Why is that switch there?
I thought I heard once that one way is for winter and the other is for summer, but I'm not sure that makes any sense.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:46 am

Jan, the summer/winter thing is supposedly true.

In the winter the fan should go clockwise to push the hot air gathering on the ceiling down in to the room. In the summer it should go counter-clockwise to pull the air up.

I don't know how well it works, but that's the rational.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 am

In the summer you're supposed to have the fan spinning in the direction (clockwise) which pushes air down so the moving air cools you, and in the winter you're supposed to change the direction so that the warmer air is recirculated through the room (sucks cold air up, basically). In practice, having the fan suck air up makes no difference and really only results in a nasty dark ceiling above your fan from dust.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 pm

In the winter the fan should go clockwise to push the hot air gathering on the ceiling down in to the room. In the summer it should go counter-clockwise to pull the air up.
You have it backwards. :) You don't want air moving across your skin in the winter because it helps facilitate the transfer of heat from your body (though perspiration, for example) to the air.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:48 pm

In practice, having the fan suck air up makes no difference and really only results in a nasty dark ceiling above your fan from dust.
This part is all you really need to know.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm

This is exactly the kind of thing I usually consult google and other online sources about, but hey, since we have this thread now, why not use it?

Does anyone own or know anything about good netbook computers? I'm looking to maybe get one in the near future. Nothing fancy. $300-$400 range perhaps. I'm currently looking into HP, Acer, and Compaq models. Any suggestions?

Also, if you own one, do you find the lack of an optical drive to be a major hindrance?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 pm

We have an Asus Eee PC Seashell. It is fantastic. I have never had any problems with it - we've had it for almost a year. The speakers are louder then our laptop and the battery lasts for about 8 hours.

...I don't know what an optical drive is.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:40 pm

...I don't know what an optical drive is.
CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive. Anything with a laser for reading spinning discs.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Ah. I am stupid.

I don't miss it, I just put any information on a USB drive and use that in the same way. I would miss it if we didn't have the other computer to watch our DVDs on.

ETA: Hilariously, our netbook came with an installation CD.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:53 pm

That's what I figured. My main concern in that regard is being unable to install software that requires a CD, but I rarely have to do that anyway.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 pm

All I know about netbooks is that we ordered a couple from Dell for our sales team, and they came with Windows 7 Starter. It absolutely sucked. There's almost no functionality or customizability to it, and it was buggy as hell. I would stay as far away from it as possible.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes, I've heard about the Windows 7 Starter issues. There are actually ways to work around some of the customization limitations, like being able to change the wallpaper. In terms of functionality, I don't need it to do much. I just want it to do the basics well.

I'm not prepared to venture into Mac land, so I will probably take my chances with Windows 7. Right now I have my eye on a Samsung model that's on sale. The decision is now coming down to technical details. I'm confused about how a dual-core Atom N550 processor clocks in at 1.5 GHz but a supposedly slower and cheaper N450 clocks in at 1.66 GHz. Which is actually better? Is the difference significant either way? I don't suppose anyone can help with with that.

And I've learned that there are relatively cheap external optical drives if I decide that I do need one.

ETA
Wait, I'm dumb. The processor thing is the speed per processor.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:14 pm

ETA
Wait, I'm dumb. The processor thing is the speed per processor.
...and just in general, processor clock speed tends to have very little to do with performance in the grand scheme of things. Unless you're talking about just different clock speeds for effectively the same processor model, of course.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 am

I whole-heartedly support the Samsung model. I have the Samsung NC10, which is just an older version of the one you mentioned. I picked it instead of one of the other makes of Netbooks because of the keyboard. It's a great keyboard, full size, and responsive.

The processor speed isn't as important as they would lead you to believe. At those two speeds it isn't a noticeable increase. Most things you would be doing on a netbook wouldn't even reach the potential most likely.

Unfortunately one of the things that bug me the most about my netbook now is the screen. I very much dislike how the screen is usually squished vertically. Next time I buy a portable computer, it'll be a lighter full sized laptop instead of a netbook.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 pm

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks!

I'm just about settled on the Samsung NF210. It normally goes for $399.99 but right now it's on sale for $279.99. That seems like an awesome price for a machine with its specs.

ETA
I wish it came in more colours than just white though...
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 pm

I don't blame you there. Mine is white, but the outer shell is matte not glossy. Whoever it was that decided that glossy would be more attractive should be dragged through the streets and beaten with stones, as they obviously didn't realize how fingerprint and scratch prone glossy finishes are.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:44 pm

I don't blame you there. Mine is white, but the outer shell is matte not glossy. Whoever it was that decided that glossy would be more attractive should be dragged through the streets and beaten with stones, as they obviously didn't realize how fingerprint and scratch prone glossy finishes are.
Oi, yeah. I just try not to look to closely.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Small price to pay, I guess.

I put in an order for the Samsung model yesterday. Unfortunately it's not in stock so I have no idea when I'll actually get it. Before Christmas would be nice. I can't wait to make my first post on it. :)
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:30 am

So, this weird feeling in the back of my neck. It's exactly like you would imagine fizzy pop bubbles would feel and sound like, if they were just under the skin at the base of your neck. Happens semi-frequently.

Anyone have the same experience, or know what it is?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:44 am

It's never happened to me but a friend of mine used to get this occasionally, in the same area you described. The closest she ever found to it was paresthesia. This is technically the term for when your foot falls asleep, but can also describe any "sensation of tingling, pricking, or numbness of a person's skin with no apparent long-term physical effect." I'm guessing it's from a pinched nerve or something. Does the feeling go away if you press on the area and then come back if you stop pressing?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:52 am

with limewire shut down does anyone know of a good p2p program?

i have used a few in the past, but for whatever reason i liked limewire's functionality the best. i hated emule. dunno why.
Ubernaustrum

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 pm

What exactly is the sound of "wiping"? lol
This is what "wiping" sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04

NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:05 pm

So, this weird feeling in the back of my neck. It's exactly like you would imagine fizzy pop bubbles would feel and sound like, if they were just under the skin at the base of your neck. Happens semi-frequently.

Anyone have the same experience, or know what it is?
The way you're describing it makes me think it's something called subcutaneous emphysema. Do you cough a lot, or cough particularly hard? You may find you also have it on your anterior or lateral chest wall as well. Basically it's small air bubbles under your skin that can be popped like you are describing. It almost feels like rice krispies. There are some more ominous causes if you had some trauma, like an MVC or penetrating wound (stab or gunshot). But I've also seen it in people with asthma or COPD who have been coughing a lot. High intra-thoracic pressure can rupture alveoli putting air out into your pleural space, which can track up your mediastinum and under your skin. Free air can also rise up to the highest part of your lungs (like the base on your neck).

Just a thought. :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”