Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:53 pm

with limewire shut down does anyone know of a good p2p program?

i have used a few in the past, but for whatever reason i liked limewire's functionality the best. i hated emule. dunno why.
People still have been using traditional p2p-style programs? Most pirating (yarr!) I'm aware of is done with torrents, binary usenet, or /rs/.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:01 am

So, this weird feeling in the back of my neck. It's exactly like you would imagine fizzy pop bubbles would feel and sound like, if they were just under the skin at the base of your neck. Happens semi-frequently.

Anyone have the same experience, or know what it is?
The way you're describing it makes me think it's something called subcutaneous emphysema. Do you cough a lot, or cough particularly hard? You may find you also have it on your anterior or lateral chest wall as well. Basically it's small air bubbles under your skin that can be popped like you are describing. It almost feels like rice krispies. There are some more ominous causes if you had some trauma, like an MVC or penetrating wound (stab or gunshot). But I've also seen it in people with asthma or COPD who have been coughing a lot. High intra-thoracic pressure can rupture alveoli putting air out into your pleural space, which can track up your mediastinum and under your skin. Free air can also rise up to the highest part of your lungs (like the base on your neck).

Just a thought. :)
I've never had any symptoms of athsma ever. I don't cough a lot, unless I'm sick. The lady at the athsma clinic the Stupid Doctor made me go to laughed at me after I completed the initial questionnaire. The bubbles have always been just in my neck, never any lower (or higher, for that matter). Rice Krispies would be too big - it feels very very tiny, and there's usually several at once.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt, so I'm not worried. It's just weird and I've never met anyone else who described it (although why would they, really?).
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I've been thinking of getting David a really nice dutch oven for Christmas. He's been wanting one for ages. I can get a 4.5 quart Le Creuset dutch oven for $197 with NO shipping or handling costs. The catch is that I would have to make the purchase by midnight tonight. Ack!

I know it's more money than he'd want me to spend, but it's the cheapest I've EVER seen a Le Creuset for, and Le Creuset is by far the superior brand for enameled cookware. I'd rather invest a little extra money in something that I know will last us and that we'll get a lot of use out of, than spend significantly less money for an inferior-quality product.

We have not yet agreed upon a price point for gifts (we usually do this because we're so poor. For comparison's sake, last year we spent $50. We are slightly more financially secure this year, but not drastically so) but I am pretty sure this is going to be way above whatever threshold we set. I know that David will feel guilty if I spend that much money on him. But I also know that he would loooooove the gift and it would last us ages and ages and be put to SO MUCH use.

Help!

(I stuck this in the google thread because I guess I've done some googling to compare prices and read reviews and whatnot. Does anyone own Le Creuset? Have you seen lower prices elsewhere? What would you do if your were me?)
Last edited by Young Val on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:25 pm

I really love our Creuset. It shouldn't just last you ages and ages. It should last your children ages and ages, and their children ages and ages. Sadly, I've never seen them less expensive, either.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:28 pm

I really love our Creuset. It shouldn't just last you ages and ages. It should last your children ages and ages, and their children ages and ages. Sadly, I've never seen them less expensive, either.
Except for ours, which was $4 at a garage sale. My mom picked it up without even knowing what it was. Lucky us.

Kelly, it's something you will both love for the rest of your lives. I love mine, even chipped in a couple places and old. I don't know about budgets (I hate being in the situation you're in, and I'm there now), so I don't know what to advise.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:59 pm

If it's something you'll both love and use, and he hasn't gotten you anything, you could talk about pooling your gift allowance together (and about where you'll get the rest you need).

We end up doing that most years. We get each other two books and pajamas, then pool the rest to get something we'll both love.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Did it!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:15 pm

$197 is a good deal! They're usually pretty expensive. Good job!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Yes, indeed! I hope you love it for ever and ever!

What colour did you go for?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Caribbean! We have a teal/cherry red thing going on in our kitchen.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:41 pm

I would absolutely love a Le Creuset, and as far as i've seen that's a pretty good deal!

I want a red one : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Ours is a colour I call "1970s Orange". I'd love a shiny new one, but I'm not in a rush. It's oval. The only thing I would change would be to add a silicone grip to the handle, which is really tiny and not covered at all. It's inconvenient.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:38 pm

People who live in snowy areas:

What sorts of conditions have to occur before it's acceptable to not go to work or venture outside when there's snow? Is there a certain depth it has to reach or a certain type (apparently it comes in many varieties) that has to fall? Do cities even have snow days like schools do?

Also, how much time would you say you spend outside when it snows? Is it only for long enough to get from point A to point B? Is it hard to get around?
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 pm

In England:
If the snow stays on the ground and doesn't melt immediately, it's cause to stay home, come to work late or not at all, stock up on bread and milk and eggs (because God knows in a blizzard we all crave french toast?).

In southern BC:
People get freaked out if you get 2-4 inches at a go. They'll still go to work, but cautiously and slowly and may be late. Non-essential driving is at a minimum. To be fair, the way the temperature bounces around freezing can cause ice to form in weird places, and with all the hills, it's easy to slide. I think it's a bit silly here, but I'd still be careful because of the ice.

In southern Ontario:
6-12 inches will cause a snow day for schools, if it falls between roughly 2-6am, because then the plows won't get out in time. 12 inches of snow before that window will be plowed, and schools will open. I've driven to/from work in maybe 8 inches, unplowed, but it was unpleasant and I'd stay home from non-essential trips. It's all about the plowing.

I find that areas which get less snow generally also deal with it worse. People who aren't used to it don't know how to behave in it and that makes the roads far more dangerous than just the snow. You have to watch out for the idiots, too. Also, somewhere that gets more snow with have the municipal infrastructure to deal with it much quicker. Streets get plowed in Ontario far, far faster than they are in BC. And England, which gets much less than either (generally), is the only place I've seen "shut down".

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 pm

It's only in the most extreme circumstances that places other than schools close. Hell, even school closures are rare. I haven't had a snow day in 2 years. More than one in a year is rare. If anything, school bus services may be canceled but classes run as normal. I'd say it takes at least 15 cm to close schools (I think that's somewhere around 5 or 6 inches in your language), but again, most businesses remain open. Oh, and it pretty much has to come down starting the night before and straight through until morning, otherwise it will be plowed off the major roads by the morning rush hour.

How long do people spend outside in it? Unless they're skiing or just playing the stuff, probably not any longer than they have to (shrug).

Is it hard to get around? LOL. I can't wait to hear all about your first winter in Chicago. :D

*ETA
Or, what EL said. :)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:27 am

It took 24 inches in one night to close down U of I, and that was pretty awesome. Apparently four inches is enough to close Portland down. Since I haven't been here long, though, it's hard to say what's true and what's hyperbole.

In southern Idaho, 8 inches closed it this fall, but snow like that hadn't been seen since, like, 1994. It mostly depends on the quality of snow.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:58 am

victoria BC gets an inch of snow the entire city s***** down and people all crash their cars. they have no plows and they only get like one snowfall a year.

here in wisconsin it's a lot like what EL said about ontario (we usually get the same weather just a day before) snow does not guarantee a snow day, though jobs are usually pretty lenient if someone is late due to weather. last winter there was a day were only 10 people out of 80 made it in to work. it was pretty fun. some people (like myself) say screw snow days and get a jeep. (i love driving in snow and messing around) so i rarely find a day where i can't make it somewhere.

we get ice days more often then snow days. they aren't as much fun. and a lot of times in the case of freezing rain everything is just delayed.
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:39 am

But really the most inconvenient part of getting around during winter is when your tauntaun freezes before even reaching the first marker. Then come the wampas...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:36 am

Related to this: Is the UK Uniquely Bad at Coping with Snow?

That said, it's not even all of Southern BC that's less than great with snow. It's the lower mainland and Vancouver, as well as Vancouver Island (from the sounds of it, although I've never been there in winter, or much at all). And as for how long you stay in it, assuming the temperature isn't below -25ºC, you stay as long as you like or until you decide it's too cold out and you want to warm up.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:59 am

"They know almost to the week when the snow is going to come and they are organised for it," Mr Quarmby notes.
PFFT.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 am

That's 'cause the mayor of Toronto always knows the army is on standby.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Our snow days depend on how icy the streets are. We've had "snow" days before without any snow, just really slick streets. They had snow days just a couple of weeks ago with that little bit of snow we got.

I don't spend a lot of time out when it snows, but that's probably because Will can't see snow without having to somehow throw it or dump it all over me. We can also go up to the mountain and just have a snow day where i'll spend almost the entire day in it playing.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:12 am

Can any astronomy types tell me what is going down tonight? I know it's something and I happened to catch 4 falling/shooting stars (I know, misnomer but is there a difference between falling and shooting?) on my walk just now.

My god, it was beautiful.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:03 am

I'm very jealous, you caught the Geminids!

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/jupiter ... 01213.html

It's cloudy here. Again. Gah.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Yes, that's it! I had heard on the news but couldn't remember what it was called.

I had the best (annoying) conversation with my grandma as a result of that.

There we are, walking my dogs, when the first one streaks by (it was the biggest we saw and I felt like a little kid, seeing that) and somehow we end up discussing what they actually are; that is, she swears up and down it is an actual star because "there's that song, 'Catch a Falling Star' and that's what they call it."

"Well, grandma, that's a bit of a misnomer; real stars, to the best of my knowledge, ex/im-plode when they die. I've never heard of one streaking across the universe. I can't remember all the different terms and what is what (meteoroids, asteroids, comets, etc) but that is not a star."

"But the lyrics clearly state you catch a falling star and put it in your pocket."

"...are you serious?"

*nothing*

"Okay, I guess you're serious. No, grandma. Not a star."

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:01 am

Update:

David's Le Creuset arrive and I opened it to oggle at it before I wrap it all up for him and it is GORGEOUS. NO REGRETS about the pruchase whatsoever! I'll let you all know if he likes it, too! Thanks for the encouragement upthread. :D
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 am

Double post!
People who live in snowy areas:

What sorts of conditions have to occur before it's acceptable to not go to work or venture outside when there's snow? Is there a certain depth it has to reach or a certain type (apparently it comes in many varieties) that has to fall? Do cities even have snow days like schools do?

Also, how much time would you say you spend outside when it snows? Is it only for long enough to get from point A to point B? Is it hard to get around?
I am way late on this because I'm mostly lurking lately, and doing a bad job of it at that.

The Twin Cities just had a record snowfall this past weekend, and these exact questions have been the topic of many a discussion. On the East Coast we got our fair share of snow (especially in Ithaca, where I went to college) but moving to the midwest has been an eye-opening experience, even for me.

There are two main categories of snow (which can be broken into subcategories, but really, that's just not necessary): Wet Snow and Powdery Snow.

Powdery snow is fine and light and can sting your face if the winds are really whipping around. The flakes are generally super small and you can't easily distinguish the shapes and patterns with the naked eye. This snow is absolute crap for making snowballs, snowmen, snow forts or structures of any kind; It won't pack together. It is the easiest kind of snow to shovel and the easiest to clean off your car.

Wet snow is heavy. And wet. It is snowball snow. It packs together beautifully and obnoxiously (if, for example, people do not shovel their sidewalks after this type of snowfall, pedestrians will walk on top of the snow and pack it down, and then it's virtually impossible to get rid of for the remainder of the winter). Wet snowflakes are larger, and if you can catch one on its own you can see the shape and patterns with your naked eye. Usually, though, a bunch of individual flakes clump together and it falls in big puffs. It's the kind of snow that stays on your nose and eyelashes, as the song says. It is a bitch to shovel (it's HEAVY) and a pain in the ass to get off of your car. It is the type of snow most associated with days off school and adverse traveling conditions.

As for "Snow Days" off school and, more rarely, off work, there are a number of factors to be considered before declaring such days off. They include: visibility, temperature, whether or not the streets have been adequately plowed ("adequately" is always the subject of much debate), and other things.

Schools are more likely to close than a city in which snowfall is normal and frequent is likely to shut down.

Because so many kids take buses or walk to school, snow days will be declared if the temperatures are just too damn cold (Twin Cities were 18F below zero after this weekend's storm) or if the roads have not been plowed sufficiently enough for bus routes to be timely and effective.

It takes much, much more to shut down the city (although many businesses in my neighborhood were closed this past weekend) particularly a city with decent public transportation (Chicago would be such a one).

As an adult I do not spend much time outside in the snow. We go sledding once a year, and I'll engage in a snowball fight is younger cousins are around, but mostly I go outside to get on the bus or get in my car and then get back inside a building again as quickly as possible. Mostly it is due to the cold, not the snow. Please be sure to do some kissing in a light snowfall whenever possible. It's inadvisable to go outside (especially do not drive if you can help it) during a snowstorm--wait for the aftermath.

It's a BITCH to get around in the winter. If you're driving, the roads are icy and there are constant accidents. The roads are never plowed well enough and it takes FOREVER to get anywhere. If you're taking public transportation it's f****** freezing while you wait for your bus and/or train, and then the buses/trains are far more packed than usual and everyone is wearing puffy, overly large winter coats and carrying too much stuff, and everyone is sick and coughing in everyone else's faces.

That said, the world is truly, truly gorgeous after a fresh snowfall.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Please be sure to do some kissing in a light snowfall whenever possible.
I only have so much control over that but I promise I'll try my hardest. ;)

When I first sat down last year to get serious about planning my move, I asked someone when the snowing starts to peter out and was told by March or April, generally, it is mostly gone. It's how I decided when to shoot for since I'll have the money before my projected leave date. If I get there by the beginning of April, that should give me some time to find someone to try the kissing with. :)

Thanks for the rest. My next series of questions will involve winter-wear. My cold weather clothes are basically my hot weather clothes with my hoodie, gloves, and beanie thrown in the mix.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:44 pm

My cold weather clothes are basically my hot weather clothes with my hoodie, gloves, and beanie thrown in the mix.
haha, yeeeaaahhhhh. Your going to need more than just that. :P
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:58 pm

I know. It's the "what"s that I'll need help with.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Small price to pay, I guess.

I put in an order for the Samsung model yesterday. Unfortunately it's not in stock so I have no idea when I'll actually get it. Before Christmas would be nice. I can't wait to make my first post on it. :)
:D
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey, twenty-something mothers, here's something I can ask you!

I have a sister-in-law.

She is twenty-something.

She has two daughters (2 and 4).

I have no idea what to get her for Christmas.

She and my brother are kind of health nuts, to the point that they almost started a health-supplement business and eat things like flax bread as snacks. So buying fun food is pretty much out of the question. They both love movies, but tend to buy them for themselves as soon as they find one they like. They both like board games, but have a million and don't really play them now that they have kids. They both also like to cook (as part of the health thing). I don't think she is currently employed, other than the full-time job of raising my nieces and taking care of my lovable, awesome, somewhat oafish fool that I like to call my brother.

Oh, and they live about four states away, so I don't even know if she's into anything at the moment.

I'm thinking either a) a very nice apron or b) a digital picture frame. Everyone is agreeing with the frame, but it's so... bland. Like "wooooo, a frame." WHAT DO. I have Amazon Prime, so I have plenty of time to decide and will still get two-day shipping.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Do you have any pictures of her kids that you really love? You could pre-load the picture frame with them...

But, seriously, get the digital picture frame! Mine is one of my favorite presents that I've ever gotten.

(Whereas, the apron I have is funny and I appreciated getting it... but... it's an apron.)
-Kim

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 pm

I would suggest some awesome health-nut-worthy cooking ingredients, but I would listen to the other mothers out there.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:31 pm

a few things more cooks can ALWAYS use (or at least, I do):

More measuring cups

More Measuring spoons

More mixing bowls

More Tongs

But on the measuring cups/spoons set, this is your best bet, and it's less than $7!
# Cup measurements: 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 1, 1-1/2, 1-3/4, and 2 cups
# Spoon measurements: 1/32 tsp, 1/16 tsp, 1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 2 tsp, 1/2 Tbls, and 1 Tbls

Seriously? 1/8 cup is just 2 TBSP but still is wonderful, as is getting the larger cup measures, and 1/32nd tsp? and 1/16? finally a way to make recipes smaller, plus the very useful 2 tsp and 1/2 Tbsp measuring spoons. If you have a cook this would be an amazing stocking stuffer, but if you're putting together a present for a cook, this would be a great starter.

here's a few more ideas:
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la ... 0535.story
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”