Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 am

That... certainly sheds some light on a recent Two Lumps comic. I was really confused.

*marks off May 21 as a day the Rapture won't happen*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 am

Wow, the radio guy's math is completely different from the eBibleFellowship's, which is what I found upon hearing about this new end of the world.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed May 18, 2011 12:36 pm

I love that, from a Christian perspective, times like this Saturday and the end of 2012 are the few times you can pretty much guarantee the Rapture WON'T happen. 'I will come like a thief in the night', and all that.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed May 18, 2011 3:21 pm

I do get a kick out of that. And then some part of my mind thinks, "If most of the world discounts it, God might surprise us anyway!"

Really, though, I don't subscribe to the idea that all Christians get a free pass on tribulation, so whenever it's predicted I tend to write it off on those grounds.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 pm

You guys should help me put together a appocalypse playlist for this weekend, otherwise it'll just be REM on repeat. Not that that's neccessarily a bad thing.
The enemy's fly is down.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu May 19, 2011 4:26 am

If you're open to multiple types of apocalypse:

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, parts I and II (The Flaming Lips)
All We Have is Now (The Flaming Lips)
They are Night Zombies!! They are Neighbours!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhhh! (Sufjan Stevens)
The Cat with Two Head (Aquabats)--this one is a bit more mad science than end of the world, but those two things aren't TOO far apart.

That's what I've got from a cursory glance at my collection. I'll let you know if I find anything more.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 am

Rei doesn't like it, but I happen to think the Great Big Sea version is a lot more fun than the REM version of The End of the World As We Know It. You should listen to that one instead.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu May 19, 2011 5:51 am

If it weren't horrifically cruel, this would seem like a hilariously good idea.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu May 19, 2011 6:50 pm

I also suggest Dave Matthews Band's "When the World Ends", preferably the Oakenfold remix that's on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 pm

If it weren't horrifically cruel, this would seem like a hilariously good idea.
My cruelty detector must be broken.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri May 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Well, this article says the actual end of the world isn't predicted to occur until October. Duke Nukem Forever is currently slated to be released in June, but it might get postponed until October... if we hear another announcement of a delay, there may be something to worry about.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat May 21, 2011 7:42 pm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 31, 2011 6:27 pm

Google has NOT been my friend in this case, thus my asking you, oh P-Web, ye of ancient truths and mom-like wisdom:

Last Thursday I woke up with what appeared to be a large mosquito bite on my back, about halfway up my ribs on my left side. Not being a stranger to night-time spider bites (although almost always on my knuckles), I wrote it off an paid it no attention, other than to force myself not to scratch it. Well, yesterday I noticed that it was now very red at the tip and covered about an area 1 inch in diameter. I did some research into spider bites and concluded it must not be serious, as I still feel perfectly fine, just itchy there. Today, however, I realized that it wasn't a bulbous tip, as you might describe it, but a scabby pock mark. To be fair, it may have been like this from the beginning, as I don't have any mirrors that would get me a close look at it, and I didn't risk even touching it until this morning. However, deepening my concern, I started feeling slight flu-like symptoms today, although I am also no stranger to even considering I might get sick and then later feeling nauseous and dizzy.

So, to summarize, anyone know anything about spider bites and if I should bother consulting a doctor? I'm keeping a very close eye on the pockmark to make sure it isn't getting any bigger, and I haven't been able to find any spiders in my apartment at all. When I first moved here I joked that the 19th floor would be too high up for them, but I really have no idea. Also, there are now three smaller bumps that have appeared outside of the red area, but they just look like goosebumps.

The internet says to IMMEDIATELY SEE A DOCTOR IF YOU SUSPECT YOU HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY ANY SPIDERS, but that's stupid and overreacting.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Flu like symptoms? Are you sure it's a spider-bite and not... chicken pox or something, or a tick bite??

I think you should go to the doctor with symptoms like that.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Probably not a tick bite, but I guess it's possible. I really hadn't been anywhere but my apartment and work (which is two blocks away) for the few days prior to the bite showing up, and it didn't look like the tick bites that I've seen.

And really, the "flu-like symptoms" I have are just dizziness and nausea. Possibly lyme disease, but lots of things can possibly be lyme disease.

Basically my conclusions thus far are "if I feel bad tomorrow, call the doctor," but I wanted to check with you guys.

Row--row.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:12 pm

The tick bite I had wasn't that big.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Most people who self diagnose spider bites actually have staph infections. So, I would say see the doctor.
-Kim

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 pm

How accurate are the methods currently used to determine body fat percentage?

More specifically, since I know there are a number of ways to measure, I had mine measured using something very similar to this:

and calipers, using what I believe to be the Durnin/Womersley method (bicep, tricep, subscapular, and suprailiac).

The scale told me one figure, then entering the caliper numbers into a website that does it's magical equation thing, I got a hugely different number. Can either be trusted at all, let alone more than the other? Are they both, especially the caliper method, as prejudice as I think they might be (or am I wanting to make excuses for being fattier than I like)? That is, is it possible they actually take into consideration/could know lean body weight and all that?

ETA:

In case it matters, there was a 7% point difference between the two measurements and I got the lower on the scale.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:19 pm

from my experience mainly from wrestling....
They used Calipers for wrestling weight certification, you weigh in and get a body fat measurement and they take those numbers and say home much weight you can loose healthily. most years in HS i was aloud to go to 112, one year they said i could only go to 119. Meaning i would be a sick non functional thing lost any more weight. i ended the season at 114 while trying to keep weight on to compete. So thats my way of saying calipers can be bias both ways. all depending on where you carry your fat, how hard/how much they pinch, and because its only 3-4 measurements.
Now Body Fat Scales, they take the measurement by sending electricity through your body and work best with bare feet. They measure resistance because fat conducts the charge differently then muscle, bone , or other body tissues. I have one and have owned many over the years and for me the tend to measure consistently and fluctuate as expected. loose weight % goes down gain weight percent goes up. I've heard they are more accurate than the calipers (especially if you have an uneven body fat distribution; for example boobs) because the measure your whole body.
The most accurate way to measure body fat that i know of is a submersion test. You are weighed dry on a normal scale. Then submerged in water with as little air in your lungs a possible. Then fancy equations and poof body fat %. The measurement here is based on the fact that fat floats and everything else sinks.

So short answer, of the two methods used I like the scale better because it measures the whole you, not just 4 spots.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Can anyone here speedread?

Near the beginning of the summer, I decided I'd try to learn. But I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to do the excercises, because 80% of me feel's it's a useless endeavor.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Can anyone here speedread?

Near the beginning of the summer, I decided I'd try to learn. But I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to do the excercises, because 80% of me feel's it's a useless endeavor.
I could before my parents got us the material for it. It's been so long I don't even remember what the material covered

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 pm

The main excercise I decided I'd pratice was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOIZ6DGXWE

Also, something about chunking text together when you read.

But wait, so you could speedread before whatever excercises your parents got you, but afterwards you couldn't? I'm confused.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 pm

The main excercise I decided I'd pratice was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPOIZ6DGXWE

Also, something about chunking text together when you read.

But wait, so you could speedread before whatever excercises your parents got you, but afterwards you couldn't? I'm confused.
No, I could before, tried the exercises then quit because I didn't notice an improvement.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 pm

We had a conversation about this a long time ago and I remember it made me feel greatly inferior in terms of my previously-thought great reading skills. I learned, on that day, that reading one word at a time and hearing a narrator just doesn't cut it, even if that narrator talks very quickly.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Screw speed reading if I have to sacrifice the narrator. I happen to like having my internal monologue narrate stories for me.
The enemy's fly is down.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 am

Morgan Freeman is my narrator. Beat that, suckers.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:44 am

I can technically speed read, although I usually only do it (consciously) for work-(previously school-)related stuff.

I read tremendously fast normally, and I don't sacrifice a "narrator" at all. When I'm actually reading it doesn't FEEL fast. Oftentimes it feels quite leisurely. But the clock says otherwise.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:12 pm

I always believed I read fast, but that's only when I get really into a book. The pages just breeze by. However, I've never timed myself. I should probably do that.

I just assume since I still have my inner narrator, it would be average.

Either way, I feel like this would be a great skill for college. I remember my History of SouthAsia professor had us reading 200 pages for almost every class...*shudder*

Syphon The Sun- I could swear Morgan Freeman was the one narrating Go The f*** to sleep, but nevermind it's Samuel L. Jackson.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:26 pm

I don't understand this "inner narrator" business. Does that mean that I don't have one?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm not sure if I speed read, but I do read quite quickly and actually spent some time focusing on slowing down after I graduated, because I just wasn't enjoying what I was reading because it wasn't relaxing! I have slowed down to about 100-120 pages of fiction an hour, with 10 minutes of that hour generally on Facebook and what not, lol. Does anyone have suggestions for being a less distracted reader??
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't understand this "inner narrator" business. Does that mean that I don't have one?
The inner narrator thing is the fact that generally most people internally say the words they're reading, whether they realize it or not.

Some people go as far as to actually say it outloud, under their breath.

Most people say it in their mind, which still works their larynx, even thought their mouth isn't moving.

To test it, read this post, and notice whether you say each word internally.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:05 pm

The inner narrator thing is the fact that generally most people internally say the words they're reading, whether they realize it or not.

Some people go as far as to actually say it outloud, under their breath.

Most people say it in their mind, which still works their larynx, even thought their mouth isn't moving.

To test it, read this post, and notice whether you say each word internally.
You are insane.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Yeah, no...I don't think I have an inner narrator. I think the words go directly to my brain.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:18 pm

my internal narrator is a slightly handicapped stutterer named ephram.

i am a painfully slow reader.
Ubernaustrum

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 pm

I actually have a slightly different voice for each of you. As is usual in cases like this, I can't really imagine it not working identically for every single other person in the world, although I have no inability to logically think "well, people can probably do it different, I just have no concept of how it would work." But basically I see it like this: remember when we did the Vocaroo thing? Where we all talked? If you posted something like "Man, that's not how I imagined X sounded at all!" then I figure you hear a voice when you read.

I joke and call it a narrator, but it's not like it's an individual voice. It's just, like... words are translations of sounds, just put into a different format so that it can be sent without sound waves. Why wouldn't you translate it internally to a format that your brain comprehends?

Of course, this was how I reasoned before we got into the "reading blocks of text at a time" thing. I tried applying that to reading Huck Finn and got mediocre scores on the tests.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”