Do you write letters?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Well, do you?

Yes, I love writing them and getting them!
31%
I love getting them, but I never write.
50%
Snailmail is for old people and luddites.
19%

Total votes: 16

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:28 am

No. :(
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Should be soon, then, since most of the stuff I posted that day has arrived. If not, I'll just have to write again!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Maybe there's a hold up at the Mason-Dixon Line.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 am

As evidenced by my day in the life pic, I sent the postcards on Saturday. Let me know when you get them, cause I'd like to know how long it takes. This being an island, things seem to take forever.

Also, I do still have a few more, if anyone else wants one. It's not too late.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm

I just got a let-ter, I just got a let-ter, I just got a let-ter....

(!)
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Awesome-shmaltz!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:51 pm

I got a postcard! With adorable Ginny-scribbles! Yay! Thank you, Jan, that was a real lift to the day. :)

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I am allllmost moved into the new place, so my address will soon change. I'll (naturally) let the interested parties know the new address.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:28 pm

I also got a postcard from Jan today! Mine didn't have any Ginny scribbles though. :( But it was still awesome. Thanks, Jan! :)
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 pm

I didn't think of the Ginny scribbles till the end, so I think only 3 people got them. I did Rei and EL last, and she REALLY REALLY liked Rei's card.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:37 am

I saw this tonight. It pissed me off.

Selected quotes:
Facebook said traditional email is too slow and cumbersome and needs to step into the modern world of messaging.
Other features include being able to store conversations so users can have a complete archive of communications with friends and family. Mr Bosworth likened this to a modern day treasure trove of letters stored in a box.
No, it is in no way comparable to a bundle of letters tied in a ribbon in a little box. Sometimes slow is good. (And email is not slow.)

I swear, every time facebook rolls out something like this, I get an itch to write an old-fashioned letter. Some things shouldn't be lost.

Also, Rei just reminded me of something. At some point before my older sister was born, my parents began writing us letters. Letters about their thoughts and dreams for us, things we did, stories, anything that seemed appropriate.

They kept writing us those letters periodically through our lives. They gave them to my sister and to me on our wedding days, and it was one of the most anticipated "gifts", to me. If any parents read this and are inspired, I guarantee that it something priceless. I definitely plan to write to my own future children.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 am

Thank-you, Jan! The puffin post card is really kind of awesome. I can entirely see why Ginny would think one of the clown-of-the-sea is so spectacular, so much so as to include a drawing of one.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 am

Also, Rei just reminded me of something. At some point before my older sister was born, my parents began writing us letters. Letters about their thoughts and dreams for us, things we did, stories, anything that seemed appropriate.

They kept writing us those letters periodically through our lives. They gave them to my sister and to me on our wedding days, and it was one of the most anticipated "gifts", to me. If any parents read this and are inspired, I guarantee that it something priceless. I definitely plan to write to my own future children.
I have written a letter to each of my children right before their births. I plan on writing them more on other special occasions (baptism, etc.). I'm glad to know that my work will be appreciated!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:51 am

Definitely keep writing them! They will be a treasure trove for your little pirates!

This isn't letter-writing, but has anyone else seen much Due South? I really love the scenes where Fraser is reading his father's old diaries. There's something poignant and touching about it, and Gordon Pinsent's delivery really sells it.

I'm so excited to keep watching the post - all of my sisters and I have been exchanging letters at various intervals (determined by the inestimable Canada Post, heh), plus my pweb penpals, and until recently Jan's postcards. There's so much to look forward to!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm

I still owe you one (where owe = want and plan to send a response). I'm waiting until my gift for my giftee is done, since I'm not sure a regular stamp would get it to you and with my transportation options being what they are, it'll be easier to wait and do both.

Not that I think you're impatient or wanted a status update or what have you. I just didn't want you to think I've forgotten.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 am

It's been so crazy around here post-surgery that I forgot to say that we got our post card from Jan!! Brayden loves the doggy! Thanks!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:40 am

I got mine, too, but it was on the day of one of the procedures, so I forgot to tell you! The iceberg is on my refrigerator.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Awesome. I think most people have checked in! Except... Kelly? Alea? Did you get yours?

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Yep, last Wednesday. I included it in the craft thread since it made it into a picture I took. Thanks :)
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:17 am

Got my Christmas cards written and addressed today!

Does anyone else do those, or am I the luddite-est person ever?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:23 am

I don't, although I should. I get about 10-15 each year, so you aren't alone in your yule greetings, Ali.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:43 am

We don't do cards but we used to do these really cheesy family newsletters with these awful clip art graphics on perforated printer paper.

I miss that paper. Removing the edges was much more fun than it ever should have been. I saved them and would make wreathes out of them by folding them over and sticking them on a wire hanger, followed by a healthy coat of green spray paint. Many trees died for my arts and crafts projects.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 am

And I got them all mailed! Woo! I'm so early this year! :D :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:59 pm

So I still have a few US stamps, anyone else want a Letter of Random Crap? (You do have to promise to write back, mind.)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:21 am

In response to the most perfect letter I've ever gotten, I believe I just sent you the worst letter I've ever written and I've written some real doozies before. Even the envelope was kind of blegh and I think I camouflaged your address a little too well; the post office guy was turning the envelope every which way, then had to ask, even though I wrote it under your address, "Is this going to Canada?" Um...see there, where I wrote City, Province Letter-Number-Letter Number-Letter-Number CANADA? I believe that means it's going to Canada. So he takes his ugly black pen and writes CANADA in. THEN he almost covered part of the picture with the postage sticker.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Value is in the eye of the beholder - I certainly didn't think it was a very great letter when I sent it, you know!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 pm

OH MY GOD I just opened my drawer at work and found the unsent letters I wrote to Alea and Ali over a MONTH AGO! They are all adderssed and ready to be sent and everything! That was the day my tooth broke in half and I left work halfway through the day in a panic. I must have shoved them in the drawer and I have COMPLETELY forgotten about them ever since!

They will be horrifically outdated, but I'll send them along anyway. Ali, if I send it now will you receive it before you move, or should I wait until you're settled in at your new place?

:oops:
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Yep, I'll get it here, if you send it in the next week or so, I think. And hey, we've already established that letters are inherently out of date, so no worries! ;)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 am

Well, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" holds true for letters, too. I got the most wonderful envelope through the mailslot yesterday, with a drawing of Snoopy decorating a tree on it! And inside was a wonderful, thoughtful letter that I really enjoyed reading a lot.

*many warm fuzzies*

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:35 pm

awww, yay :) I'm glad you found some enjoyment in it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Sorry for the strange bump here but does anyone in the US find themselves in desperate need of envelope art, with a laughably bad letter inside? Because I was forced into buying a stamp this morning and I want to use it before I forget I own it.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Want letter!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Sold! To the lovely lady in the "I Win" avatar.

Please deposit an address.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:14 pm

*grumbles*... I wanted one :(

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Today I received a lovely letter with beautiful Andy Warhol esc sea turtles on the envelope. I loved it!

:):):):):)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”