Comics

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun May 22, 2011 2:24 am

What didn't you like about the movie?
The pacing was awkward and the movie seemed to drag, I couldn't find any reason to invest in any of the characters...the closest I got was for Hit Girl, who was a complete badass, but who, ultimately, didn't really mean much to me, either. The music was great in a few places but overall, it seemed forced into the scenes. It just lacked a certain something that made it hard for it to keep my interest.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon May 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Reread Watchmen this past weekend; seemed fitting, considering the end of the world and all. Anyway, still awesome. Still possibly the greatest graphic novel ever created.

Something I found out this time through was that the guy who created Comic Sans based the style off of Dave Gibbons' lettering! So that's interesting.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Finally the Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer is officially online.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Next summer's really going to be something for comic book movie fans: The Amazing Spider-man

There's also a low quality (filmed on a phone) Avengers teaser trailer of there.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:18 pm

sigh, i really wish we could see what marvel studios would do with the spider-man franchise. i hope it turns out well, but the last thing we need is another bunch of crap spider-man movies. the first trilogy captured the campy feel that the comic books had, but took it too far and made them pretty stupid. i have a feeling this one is probably going to try to capture the twilight teenagers. make him all moody and have him take off his shirt or something.
Ubernaustrum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

I actually like the Tobey Maguire ones (well, the first two--the third one was a little over the top). I'm surprised they're already trying to make a new set. Then again, they redid the Hulk within 5 years, so I guess a 10 year gap between Spidermans is sufficient. Holy crap. It's really been 9 years? I'm so old...

I hope this movie doesn't have a much first-person camera angles as the preview did. If they're trying to make it some awesome 3D I'm going to have to pass just for the sake of not vomiting in the movie theatre. And brain, I'm sure his shirt will be off at some point. I don't think there is a superhero movie in existence that doesn't have at least one shirtless scene.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 pm

you know what i mean about the shirt thing... sheesh

and i enjoyed the tobey maguire ones too. but they were pretty terrible.

you know that it's going to be in 3D it's probably the whole reason they decided to make another movie.

the first hulk was so bad that even I don't want to admit that it exists, so i'm glad they made the new one. which was actually pretty good. i'm so disappointed they won't use ed norton again.
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:52 pm

I actually like the Tobey Maguire ones (well, the first two--the third one was a little over the top). I'm surprised they're already trying to make a new set. Then again, they redid the Hulk within 5 years, so I guess a 10 year gap between Spidermans is sufficient. Holy crap. It's really been 9 years? I'm so old...
Old? What are you, like 16? :P

Peter seems awfully emo and broody (is that a word?) in this trailer. I know the trend in Hollywood these days is for reboots to be darker and edgier, but an overly dark Spider-man is almost as bad as a bright and campy Batman. I hope they know what they're doing.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:40 pm

I wish this was in the Avengers movie continuity AARRRGH STUDIOS WHY CAN YOU NOT COOPERATE.

Also, that first-person segment looks completely, horribly fake 3D. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was just HD or something, which can have that effect. But I don't think it was.

The amount that it looks like they're involving Peter's parents puts me off, as well as the whole emo angle that everyone's pointing out.

One yay: man-made web shooters!

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:50 pm

I wish this was in the Avengers movie continuity AARRRGH STUDIOS WHY CAN YOU NOT COOPERATE.
I know. It's awesome that Marvel Studios is doing this big unprecedented film crossover/shared continuity, but I fear that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is always going to feel lacking as long as Spider-man and the X-men can't be a part of it.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Also, that first-person segment looks completely, horribly fake 3D. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was just HD or something, which can have that effect. But I don't think it was.
It felt like a video game circa 2000.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm

i'm so disappointed they won't use ed norton again.
Same. I posted when I find out Mark Ruffalo was taking over and I feel the exact same I did then; Ruffalo is a good actor and if he had started where Norton did, no issue, but I liked Norton's performance and wanted him back.

At least I'm not such a big nerd that I feel like I have to see it anyway. Whedon was not enough, after dropping Norton, to keep me interested in a theatrical viewing.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:46 pm

I think everyone making superhero / comics movies are way off the mark. What we need is a movie based off of the spider-man cartoon from the 60s. If you've seen any of those hilarious spidey images, you know what I'm talking about.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:23 pm

So this is a few months later than I meant to post it, but here is a short review of Amulet, a graphic novel by Kazu Kibuishi.

First of all, if you don't know who Kibuishi is, shame on you! He's the awesome guy who writes Copper, a webcomic that you can apparently view here, and puts together the Flight independent comics artist anthologies, which are simply amazing. The only Copper comics I've ever read are the ones in Flight, but they're generally fun to read, and I'd heard good things about Amulet, so, knowing nothing about the book except that it was critically acclaimed and that the first few pages were interesting, I bought the first volume.

...at least, I meant to, then got home and realized I had grabbed the third volume. So I immediately shelved it and bought the first one sometime in May. I read it and wanted more (and figured it would be stupid to only own the first and third volumes of a graphic novel) so I bought the second one. There's a fourth one out now, but I haven't read it.

The story is thus: Emily, her little brother Navin, and their mother move into a strange and ancient house owned by some long-dead relative. Emily finds an amulet that gives her strange powers just as a door deep in the basement opens and a tentacled monster grabs their mother away to a whole other world beyond the door. Soon they are thrust into a universe of talking stuffed animals, cursed cities, nightmarish elves, and more tentacles than you can shake a stick at, all while Emily learns to control her powers, else they control her.

What do I think of Amulet? I think it's a very great young adult novel. The art is simply fantastic, and the kids act and talk like real kids do, or at least how my twenty-something brain imagines kids talk, or at least how my twenty-something brain imagines kids would talk if thrown into a fantastic situation. It clearly draws a lot of inspiration from classic kid-lit high fantasy graphic novels like Bone, and so I find myself comparing them a lot. Amulet is a lot less comical than Bone, or if it is comical, it feels out of place. Like "there is a woman dying" out of place. Then there are other times where humor is there, and leaves me in stitches, but none of the characters acknowledge it or something that feels missing; it lacks good timing, I suppose. Nonetheless, there is a massively complicated and interesting world here that I'm interested in learning more about.

The annoying thing is that more and more plot elements get introduced with no prior mentioning. Plot elements that seem like pretty big things. It seems like Kibuishi had only the main plot outline figured out before he started making the entire thing, then went through and filled in all of the details, side characters, and other details in one go. If he later realized he needed a plot element, he would stick it in. There's no foreshadowing except for in the single plotline, which ends up with a lot of "oh hey these things exist they are there." I can't really explain it, other than it seems like it was poorly planned. I guess it just all feels like it lacks depth, despite it being a complex and interesting world.

But maybe I expect too much from my YA fiction.

In any case, I'll probably pick up the fourth volume, now that I know it's out. I'm just not looking forward to it like I would, say, look forward to the next volume of Bone when I was reading it for the first time. But it is fun.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:06 pm

I am stealing this from another board. I don't know what exactly it's off of, but it's the funniest thing I've seen in awhile:

One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:16 pm

W T F?!
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:58 am

Paul read it out loud to me and when he got to the part about "turned him into another person: Spiderman" I just about peed myself laughing.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:23 am

I dies a little on the inside.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:43 am

God Engrish descriptions of toy ripoff are the best.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Comics (Graphic Novels, Sequential Art, Fancy Pic-chewer

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:41 pm

So...new 52 anyone?

We've got several of the new ones. Batman #1 is the best of the lot.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Am I correct in understanding that Barbara Gordon can walk again?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:44 pm

YES! I love Batgirl, but I'm conflicted about it.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah, there are some major events that just shouldn't be undone in comics. Bringing Jason Todd back to life some years ago was probably the worst.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Re: Comics

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Notes, just to make my life easier down the road. I'll probably edit this as I go but as I said, this is just for note-taking, so you won't miss much.

Gold Bug comic:

No artwork/drawings from Sebastian in this one and although the overall style of the faces felt kind of lazy, even for close-ups, when compared to other comics I've read (namely Fables and Y:TLM), it wasn't a huge or striking difference when all was said and done. My somewhat stronger complaints were that it almost seemed unnecessarily dark throughout, even when they weren't in a cave, and sometimes it was hard to tell which character in silhouette was which, which made it difficult to tell who the speech bubbles belonged to from one panel to the next. I, of course, was probably dense or going through too quickly, as I sometimes do with comics, so there may have been some visual clues I missed that would have clarified this ambiguity.

The story turned out to be familiar, most likely because I am almost positive I borrowed a copy of IGMS from the library a few years ago. Some suggestiveness in the story having to do with marrying before breeding...honestly, if your population needs to grow, I get the social/cultural rules will need to come out to some degree but if a woman is going to raise a child with a man who is not the father anyway, why make her marry the father before she has sex with him?

ETA:

EG-BS

Part 1/5: No Sebastian work. I loved the Wiggin household design, interior and exterior. The characters were...not the most beautiful but perhaps that's more realistic than not. Graff had a moment where I thought he was winking, then thought he was deformed; not sure which was the case. Valentine is the most consistently aesthetically appealing character, though J.P. Wiggin wasn't bad for the amount of time he was in the comic. Peter had a panel or two where he was not how I always imagined but at least acceptably different, the rest of the time I was unsure. I don't like Ender as a blond - remember to go back to the book at some point and look for relevant, one line quote where it states he was a miniature of Peter, who it mentioned was dark-haired. When Val says she's too sick to go to school, there seemed to be a dirty joke from Peter that I don't quite remember from the book, so it surprised me a bit. I could also be thinking more dirty than it actually was. The coloring seemed more varied in this comic.

Part 2/5: The panels that show the shuttle in flight are the best images thus far, I think. The pacing is a bit off and if I didn't know the story, I could see myself being very lost in this issue. The characters start to look the same in places and it skips around, like in a montage, but really, it just feels incomplete. Definitely more colorful. Also cooler than I expected was the battle room and parts of the game room, the panel where Ender just defeated an older battle schooler in 2 out 3 games especially.

Part 3/5: Again, it seems to be shoving a lot of events into a small amount of space, so that if I didn't know the book already, I might get lost - this is true to the panels on the Giant's Drink game. Also, the "castle" (was it a castle in the book or am I misremembering that?) was way more modern than I ever pictured it on the outside but the inside was lovely. I never pictured the Giant as a member of the goblinoid races but it worked well enough. There was one shot of Petra, introduced in this issue, that I absolutely loved; the rest were so-so. When it first shows the rankings of the soldiers, there is a mention of a "Fiumara"...a reference to Sebastian or coincidence? He's not working on the issues yet, that I can tell.

Part 4/5: The most interesting stuff in this issue, to me, is not the fight in the battle room, it's the conversation with Dink about the teacher's being the enemy and it's the mind game, specifically the snake unwinding itself from the rug and seeing Peter in the mirror. I guess it's safe to assume most people reading this will have read the book, otherwise, unless I'm dense, there was some loss in translation on just how important and heavy that whole mirror in the tower/snake stuff is. I knew it was Peter but if I didn't from having read the book, I'd have been confused at that point. Also "heavy" hitting is the part where Graff says he'd be crushed by it all if it were happening to him.

Part 5/5: Once again, some confusion as to what's going on, as there isn't so much explanation or insight similar to the book's style of narration. The letter from Val is in this one; most touching panel was Ender reacting to it. Overall reaction to the 5 parts: Needs more distinctive physical characterization, since dressing them all up in battle suits makes them less distinguishable in parts. Pretty damn faithful to the book though it suffers from not being a book and having more chance to be descriptive - translating words to images, in this case, fails somewhat.

ES:BS -

Part 1/5: Sebastian IS an artist on this one. I am mostly loving the depiction of Bean and Poke but the rest? The drawings feel more chaotic and disorderly than the EG equivalent, though that would fit the story itself. Ender grew up in an orderly, stable world, Bean didn't, and if there's any deeper meaning to be found, the different styles in art match those backgrounds, in which case, kudos to the artists for capturing it. I'm feeling more empathetic towards Bean than I expected but I think I liked him in the beginning of the books, as well. Colors look pretty washed out in this, nothing really vivid.

Part 2/5: (Sebastian art) My favorite panel is the overlay of the city map on Bean's face and I love the conversation between Carlotta and Helga (?) about his brilliance and ignorance. Style still seems to be minimalist/less attentive to details, "messy." Still finding Bean interesting.

Part 3/5: (Sebastian art) I hate that I'm now recognizing some of the language that made me dislike Bean in the first place, all the "He's so freaking fantastic, Graff, better than Ender!" stuff. Despite that, this was one of the more page-turning comics of all the ones I've read up to now (of those set in the Enderverse). They also used a better format for conveying a "montage" in this one, I think, than any of the previous. Speech bubbles down the middle, images on the side; I think they'd do well to incorporate more OSC as storytelling devices and stop relying so heavily on mostly the images with a bit of speech here and there. One image, I believe by Timothy Green II, at the end is phenomenal at depicting Achilles and Carlotta.

Part 4/5: (Sebastian art) Somewhere along the way, the art seemed to clean up. I'm not sure if it was in issue three or this one but it's more to my liking now. Not only that, there are two images that look crazily real for a drawing: the church Sister Carlotta is praying in when she gets the news about permission to see Anton and the planet just a few pages before that.

Part 5/5: (Sebastian art) I like the appearance of Ender much more in this issue than in the EG:BS series. The story has been much easier to follow, but that may be because I'm remembering a bit more the further in I go. The overall look is once again on the cleaner, more orderly side, just as the EG:BS looks were. The story is compelling. Overall, they seem to have learned some things from the beginning to now.

EG: Recruiting Valentine -

Art by Timothy Green II, I felt there were too many lines used on the characters here, making it too detailed to be appealing to me. I also wasn't a fan of the looks he gave Valentine or Peter; I much prefer their looks in the EG/ES:BS series. The story...okay, this felt like Ender's Puppy to me. The story was contrived and the only thing that came of it, for me, was establishing/foreshadowing that Peter and Valentine will work together later on. The only writing in it that felt impressive, in any way, was the letter she sends to the Professor when she uses the phrase "fighting for the future of humanity" and turns it around to "humanity fighting for the future."

EG:CS -

Part 1/5: No Sebastian art. This art seems extra vibrant after ES:BS and RV. The plot was much easier to follow than EG:BS the whole way through. This is where Ender is given Dragon and meets Bean, has confrontation about treating him poorly and making him toon leader.

Part 2/5: No Sebastian art. 8 battles in 7 days, assigns Bean as special forces toon leader.

Part 3/5: No Sebastian art. The big fight with Bonzo - it was handled very well (I somehow doubt they'll be able to attempt nudity in the film and have it come out quite so well). It was a powerful issue, what with seeing Ender afterward.

Part 4/5: No Sebastian art. Gorgeous issue, overall. It features Ender's time at the lake in NC. It also shows an older Val, who is looking quite stunning now. Ender also meets Mazer in this issue.

Part 5/5: The Petra breakdown was handled as it should have been but was ultimately not as powerful to me as it was in the book. Likewise with the Ender breakdown once he learns the truth about it not being a game. The end of this particular series also seems too Disney. Otherwise, artwork held up, storyline in tact.

ES:CS

Part 1/5: Sebastian art. Here we learn about Nikolai being Bean's brother. Art is looking consistently clean, orderly. More vivid than other ES issues. Praise for Ender from Bean (yay!) and somewhat dismissive attitude about Ender from the conversation between Graff and Dimak(?).

Part 2/5: Sebastian art. Ender gives Bean his own squad; Bean asks Nikolai to join, is refused. Carlotta meets the Delphikis, tells Julian he has a living son. Graff and Dimak discuss Bonzo/Ender and Achilles/Bean problem, Graff says he's aware of the danger and wants it to happen. Art remains the same quality.

Part 3/5: Sebastian art. Great issue. Get a real sense that Bean's looking out for Ender is two-fold; to prevent Ender from being hurt, of course, but also to try to rectify being unable to save Poke from Achilles. Bean seems to respect the hell out of Ender. I'm not getting the arrogant vibes I got from him in the books. He knows Ender's role in the whole thing is unspeakably difficult and he appreciates that Ender is trying to pull it off. Ended on a suspenseful note.

Part 4/5: Sebastian art. A bit of a letdown, the way Achilles was handled, especially after all that lead up from issue 3 in the series. Bean's loyalty to Nikolai was touching, as was the reunion with Ender on Eros. Don't like the depiction of the "simulators" as much in this as in EG:CS but it wasn't bad.

Part 5/5: Sebastian art. This one felt rushed and more superficial than it should have, given it was about fighting the buggers in the third war and Bean reuniting with his family.

War of Gifts: No Sebastian art. Okay, so it's been a few years since I read the story, making this feel more or less like new material to me. I find it hard to believe Graff couldn't place the kid into a different home on Earth in order to save him from his dad; why take him to Battle School in the first place or keep him there if he refuses to do the things a commander would need to do in the actual war? Fluffy piece, second most obnoxious (or tied for first) after Recruiting Valentine. Also, same art by the RV artist and I knew it before I saw the credits page because the style was that awful, over-lined, over-detailed stuff that makes them all look pretty gross.

Mazer in Prison: No Sebastian art. Mazer was drawn a little too on the muscular side for what I'd find realistic or reasonable but Graff looked pretty good; overall, the art on this one was step above Timothy Green II's in the other one-parter, short story based comics. The story itself was much better than the other stand-alones I've read.

The League War: No Sebastian art, once again by Timothy Green II. There aren't enough words for how little I like Timothy Green's work on these. The story was easy to follow but it moved so quickly, it had to leave out a lot and felt a bit weak because of it. Not as bad as RV or WoG but not as good as MiP. This one featured Locke and Demosthenes, and the Hegemon, Strategos, and Polemarch.

Ender in Exile -

Part 1/5: Sebastian cover art! Gorgeous cover, very well may be my favorite of all I've seen, though there were some nice ones by Timothy Green, pre-RV. Graff's trial, Ender asked to be Governor, Admiral of the ship spying on Ender and Valentine (drawn beautifully, as was Petra) and plans to have the position of governor for himself.

Part 2/5: Sebastian cover art. Not as great as issue 1's but still lovely. As for the story...Dorabella = obnoxious as all get out. They performed a play, but not before the Admiral of the ship tried to crack into Ender's files and have him put into stasis, claiming mutiny as the reason.

Part 3/5: Sebastian cover art. I have to say, what felt like a handicap on other comics, having to skip over things or rely on pictures more than words to tell the story, feels like a blessing on this one. Much less dealing with annoying storylines or characters because there isn't time/space to deal with it all. This issue made me realize how much I love the character of Ender.

Part 4/5: Sebastian cover art. Alessandra stays on Shakespeare, much to her mother's annoyance. Ender and Abra find the Giant's skeleton, the park, and the castle from the Mind Game. Ender finds the hidden Queen egg. Art still well-done; I think this is my favorite visual volume.

Part 5/5: Sebastian cover art. Ender writes both the Hive Queen and the Hegemon, welcomes new governor, prepares to leave Shakespeare to search for new home for Hive Queen. It was good to see Peter again.

Speaker for the Dead-

Part 1/5: No Sebastian art. I somehow got it into my head that the people of Lusitania were dark-skinned but the comics depict them as fair-skinned; not a complaint, per se, just a musing. Piggies are softened up in this, not sure if I like that change; they more closely resemble giant hamsters than pigs. They seem to have done a good job with condensing what happened in the book, as they really must do to keep it reasonable - I understand that if I want the in depth, the book is the way to go. Ender came out, not as I imagined but in a nice way, all the same. Great colors, nice art. Overall, positive vibes from this one.

Part 2/5: No Sebastian art. I really like Jane's given appearance. The meeting of the family was pretty true to the book. Art remains top notch for this.

Parts 3 and 4/5: No Sebastian art. Art is still holding up and the story involves Novinha being outed as an adulteress, Ender shutting off Jane for a few moments and then getting her back in time to help Lusitania act against Starways Congress' request to arrest Miro and Ouanda. Miro tries to jump the fence. Not too sure on the accuracy of it all but it fits for the comic format and anyone who wants the whole story can go to the book.

Part 5/5: No Sebastian art. This story, unlike EG and ES, really suffers from the translation from novel to comics. Ender signs the treaty with the piggies, buries the Hive Queen, saves Miro and introduces him to Jane. So much happens so quickly, some of the power of the story is lost.

Formic Wars: Burning Earth -

Part 1/7: No Sebastian art. The art is just as well done as most in the whole collection has been. Unlike with MiP, Mazer, who we meet as a Lieutenant here, is actually drawn as a New Zealander and not as a big, buff white guy. Story has the potential to be interesting. New characters include miners of Venezuelan heritage who first notice the buggers ships arriving.

Part 2/7: No Sebastian art. Mazer fails to make it into special military group, sent to China to train. Venezuelans send a man ahead to warn of buggers' arrival. A recently demoted auditor for trades is in charge of talking to the miner, doesn't quite believe his story about bugger ship.

Part 3/7: No Sebastian art. Three mining ships attempted to slow down the buggers as they approached Earth but were largely unsuccessful. Touching story so far.

Part 4/7: No Sebastian art. Buggers have started to attack; Kleopatra, an ambassador from Earth. Mazer survives an attack on his helicopter; no one else does.

Part 5/7: No Sebastian art. Mazer is rescued by a man who gets killed by buggers. They spray toxic fumes to kill people/environment. Special forces that rejected Mazer save him and grandson of man, try to come up with a plan to fight against buggers.

Part 6/7: No Sebastian art. This story suffers from the same problems the other new stuff from OSC has suffered from: he wants everything to be tied up neatly. This may not be a problem here but it seems like he wants Mazer to be a big hero before his big moment that made him famous but I always thought he was a nobody who got famous out of the blue, for being smart and lucky enough to figure out who the queen was in the Second War. Hilarious joke in one of the comics of this series about whales.

Part 7/7: N Sebastian art. Not over yet, there will be another series, but overall, very positive impression of where this story is heading.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I got Nomi's comics in the mail today. Let the reading commence!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 am

I just started The Walking Dead comics (...which reminds me, I think I still owe Teresa some EG based comics) and I'm a little surprised so far at how the comic feels compared to the tv show; I know they're different, so I shouldn't compare too much but even so, it's a little strange.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:39 pm

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 am

Graphic novels I've read lately:

Falling Skies (based on the television show that I have not seen)

Scarlet by Brian Michael Bendis

Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love and Fables are Forever (Fables)

Laddertop by OSC

Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales

Amelia Rules, V1-7 by Jimmy Gownley

Some of these have been for kids, some for teens, some for adults. I wasn't too keen on Scarlet's story though I love, love, loved the art. Falling Skies was mostly forgettable but I may go back to that after seeing season 1 of the show. Laddertop felt like a rehashing of EG in a way. Blacksad was probably my favorite series of stories of all these and the artwork was pretty great, too. Cinderella was fun but not as much as Fables. And Amelia Rules is an honest, genuine story that I love and wish more kids would read.

I'm currently on the holds list for the latest Walking Dead and I should check on Fables to see if that's an option to put on hold.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... de=1970158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the event anyone else might be interested; I haven't read this and can't put a hold on it quite yet but my interest is definitely piqued.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 am

Yesterday. the Coursera class Comic Books and Graphic Novels started and I'm just getting around to it since I was traveling yesterday. I'm pretty stoked about it and also made nervous by it, for all the same reasons. We'll be creating our own mini-comic, have to talk to a comic store owner, and have two essays to write. I must not like my free time (as though I have a lot of it to give up).

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 pm

That sounds awesome! Are you going to share your comic with us? :D

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 am

I hadn't thought about it but I suppose that depends on what I end up doing and how well it does or doesn't come out. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:55 am

For anyone interested in PBS' take on the history of comics and superheroes, these videos are available until the 29th.

http://video.pbs.org/program/superheroe ... /episodes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Milagre Town Square”