Reviews of anything

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Avatar is by far one of the best cartoons that follows a storyline. Very few cartoons nowadays do that (anime notwithstanding), and it's so great to watch those side stories about Zuko and Uncle. I love Uncle. He rocks.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:16 pm

Yeah, Uncle Iroh is among my favorite characters. There's him, Toph, and Momo I particularly like. Toph is hilarious, in my opinion.

Sokka: I can't see anything!
Toph: It's my worst nightmare!

Or something like that. They make a lot of fun of her blindness on that show. Especially her, but that's one of the things that makes the show not cliche. Most shows introduce a blind character and everyone feels sorry for him or her, but Toph doesn't care. I mean, she's been resentful of it from time to time, but she so used to it that she jokes around about it. They don't do that on other cartoons.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Liberty "Méditerranée" yoghurt.

I've never cared about yoghurt much. It all tasted pretty much the same, even the "low fat" versions. It was good, sure, but just yoghurt. Though I never liked fruit-on-the-bottom much - if I wanted a spoonful of jam in my yoghurt, I would put it there myself, thank you very much. I'm paying for YOU to do the work.

That has changed with my discovery of Méditerranée. It is dense and heavy and rich. The texture is the best part. I've tried their mocha, cherry, and orange-mango flavours, and I've loved them all. Even though they are "on-the-bottom" yoghurts.

Very yummy.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:08 pm

*bump*

Thank all deities for Almost Famous, otherwise I would never have heard Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer".

Slow, sad ballads and politically charged songs are nothing unusual for Neil Young. In fact, I can't think of any songs of his that don't fall into one category or the other, or both. But never have I heard such a hauntingly beautiful combination of these from him.

Most of the song is instrumental, and the music fits perfectly for a song about the near destruction of a society. It's hauntingly, beautifully sad. Slow chords play in the background while the lead guitar hums a mournful tune. The words come in to replace the guitar, and they are a perfect complement to the music. (However, they're a bit exaggerated -- I mean, I don't think "hate was just a legend and war was never known" among the Aztecs, that's just ridiculous. But still, that doesn't take away from the horrors of the conquista.) Neil Young, of course, does not exactly have a beautiful voice, but it's perfect for this song. It matches the mournful, almost-whining of the guitar, and it's very expressive.

Conclusion? Best Neil Young song ever.
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 am

http://www.viceland.com/int/v13n12/htdo ... country=us
Chuck Palahniuk's Mister Elegant

I skipped the interview. The story itself was alright but nothing outstanding. It was definitely in line with the gorefest of Haunted. There was a nice twist for an ending. Unfortunately, twisted endings are par for CP so they become expected. If you liked his other work you'll like Mister Elegant but it's nothing new.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:42 pm

Liberty "Méditerranée" yoghurt.

I've never cared about yoghurt much. It all tasted pretty much the same, even the "low fat" versions. It was good, sure, but just yoghurt. Though I never liked fruit-on-the-bottom much - if I wanted a spoonful of jam in my yoghurt, I would put it there myself, thank you very much. I'm paying for YOU to do the work.

That has changed with my discovery of Méditerranée. It is dense and heavy and rich. The texture is the best part. I've tried their mocha, cherry, and orange-mango flavours, and I've loved them all. Even though they are "on-the-bottom" yoghurts.

Very yummy.
See my first post in the mouthgasm thread. That yogurt is amazing. Amazing.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:19 pm

After reading your review, I tried that yogurt. I found it too rich for my tastes...but I did buy it for a friend can't get enough of heavy cream, and she loved it. They only sell the Blackberry flavor in my supermarket.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:35 pm

I'd be happy with blackberry...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

i tried to read this in 2001 when it was making a splash on all the bestseller lists, but as early as ten pages in or so, i decided the timing just wasn't right and put it away to be read at a later date.

perhaps six years later isn't quite what i had in mind, but timing is certainly everything, because i picked up this book a few hours ago and absolutely devoured it in one sitting.

"vivid" is a word that means nothing in this context. "vivid" is a word tossed at literature for pretty descriptions of rainstorms or flower petals. this book so transcends the word "vivid" that i'm not sure another word even exists for it. a boy. a life boat. a bengal tiger. the pacific ocean. seven months. how could that NOT be an amazing story?

the prose is lovely and haunting and quite sharp. the images are thrilling. everything about this book is smart and sorrowful and funny.

completely worth the wait.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm

I LOVE that book.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 am

Wasn't sure where else to put this and I hate starting new threads that will die quickly, so...

Has anyone else watched any part of the Ken Burns documentary "War" on PBS over the last week or so? It's about WWII, specifically covering December 1941 to September 1945. In general, history is not a subject I'm that interested but lately I find myself reading non-fiction or watching documentaries about specific historical topics and being very moved by them. I happened upon some part of this documentary and was so drawn in that I ended up taping all 15+ hours over various nights and watching it with horrified interest.

I mean, I 'knew' most of the highlights of the war. I've seen Schindler's List, read Treblinka and Hiroshima. I know about the atrocities. But somehow seeing the vast QUANTITY of it, hearing and witnessing the staggering body counts, listening to the first hand accounts of soldiers and the people back home waiting for them and receiving news of dead loved ones...I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen it and had thoughts...

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Java class:
8/10

It's really interesting, and (I can't believe I'm admitting this) homework can be fun to do, but the teacher's being sorta strict, and we aren't going at a fast pace- and we're supposed to be the faster paced class.

Wagamama (a Japanese-Chinese resturant that specializes in Ramen) from England:
7.5/10

Their ramen is good, their noodles are okay, but they lack the...how do I say that..."regular" chinese foods you'll expect, like spring rolls (though they have wonderful gyoza) and such, and that blows away some of the experience.
Also, only coconut ice-cream? If you're in England, be somewhat western, at least in the desserts menu, f.g.s. -1 point for that.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”