Sci Fi Science

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Sci Fi Science

Postby Froth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:13 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Froth on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Not quite, they probably both got the idea from von Braun, who thought that self-replicating machines would be an ideal way to colonize extraterrestrial worlds.

The plan should always be trying to set that up on planets without a biosphere. Also, make failsafes so the self-replicating machines limit their inherently exponential growth according to a certain design, so they won't turn the planet into "grey goo" (which is the nanomachine equivalent to a "descoladed" biosphere: all the matter of the planet would be turned into these machines).

If you have that in account, it shouldn't be too bad.

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Thats interesting. But I guess that means the robots would have to terraform also. How would it go about doing that?
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:32 am

Thats interesting. But I guess that means the robots would have to terraform also. How would it go about doing that?
Well, that's a matter of programming: you needn't to program the robot only to reproduce itself, you can also program it to do something. It's like living beings, they are programmed not only to reproduce themselves, but also to survive (long enough to have the chance to reproduce).

The comparison with living beings is important: a self-replicating machine would be a living being.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”