In the beginning, there was ...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

This question: What's more likely?

God created Man in His own image
53%
Man created God in his own image
30%
fractals
17%

Total votes: 30

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

In the beginning, there was ...

Postby suminonA » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:03 am

Here "God" stands for the big guy in the Bible. You must have heard about Him ;)

It would be nice if you could explain your vote with some arguments. :)

---

My stand is this:

I myself would be disappointed if there were a deity called God whose best creation was Humanity. Not that the complexity of the machinery we call "human body" is something trivial, but the psychological weakness of homo-sapiens-sapiens kind of gets me.

On the other hand, having a mere human imagine and sustain the idea of a great deity in order to have an answer to all unanswerable questions, is more convincing. Of course that after being born and baptised “God”, the deity could be a great father-figure for all those that needed someone “greater” than them to show them the way of being good and give power and punish the guilty and so on and so on…

It would also explain why this “God”, even while being omni-ominous and made of love and tolerance still retains many of the human characteristics (i.e. signs of imperfection) such as rage and vengeance. It would also explain why God created such imperfect humans, because an imperfect being simply couldn’t do better. And so the imperfect humans could have thought only of an imperfect deity, therefore have created an imperfect God, who created imperfect humans who … (and that’s why the third option is “fractals”)

What say you?

A.
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:53 am

Maybe we were God's first try? He's probably moved on to bigger and better creations, which would explain why he hasn't been around in awhile...

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:36 am

We are children of God sent off to school, with the opportunity to grow and to learn to become perfect.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:32 am

We are children of God sent off to school, with the opportunity to grow and to learn to become perfect.
And who is our teacher?

A.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 am

we are our own teacher. God, or the idea of God, is there fore guidance and consolement. Regardless of whther he exists or not, humans put the face on him, and it is us who decide what and who he is. Nobody actually knows who or what God is, so make things up to excuse our ignorance. We are essentially alone.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:53 am

Nobody actually knows who or what God is, so make things up to excuse our ignorance. We are essentially alone.
So you agree that Man created God in his own image?

A.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:18 pm

we are our own teacher. God, or the idea of God, is there fore guidance and consolement. Regardless of whther he exists or not, humans put the face on him, and it is us who decide what and who he is. Nobody actually knows who or what God is, so make things up to excuse our ignorance. We are essentially alone.
We have several teachers. Our conscience is the most primal. If we listen to that, we will be more likely to hear the Holy Spirit testify when a messenger of God accurately teaches the Truth.

These teachers get us on the path to learn from what has been previously recorded of God's interaction with mankind, and also to the words he currently speaks through his living oracles, or Prophets.

In other words, are teacher IS God, our Father, who uses these means to communicate:

a) Our conscience
b) the Holy Spirit
c) Authorized messengers of God
d) Scripture

And I declare that I DO know 'who or what' God is - He is the father of our Spirits. We are His children.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:35 pm

We have several teachers. Our conscience is the most primal. If we listen to that, we will be more likely to hear the Holy Spirit testify when a messenger of God accurately teaches the Truth.
[…]
In other words, are teacher IS God, our Father, who uses these means to communicate:

a) Our conscience
b) the Holy Spirit
c) Authorized messengers of God
d) Scripture
Well, what about those that aren’t able to “hear the Holy Spirit”? (I’m one of those)
Are they not following their conscience?

I myself am quite positive that I listen to my conscience, because it is the only “voice” that I hear inside. Now, there are two choices:
1) I’m doing something wrong and therefore I can’t get to the last three means of communication that you proposed. What if that doesn’t change? Am I going to be punished for my imperfection?
2) I’m not doing anything wrong, it’s just that the Holy Spirit didn’t testify about any of the current “messengers”, meaning that they aren’t the true ones. Maybe my idea that Man created God is the closest one to the truth. As far as I’m concerned it is, because it’s the only one that “rings true” to my ears…

Why would God make all this complications, if a simple direct answer would suffice to convince me? And I'm not talking about not giving a choice to a two year old. I'm mature enough to ask the question, am I not mature enough to get the honest answer?

A.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:24 pm

d) Scripture
I like Scriptures. Especially the parts in Leviticus where wearing unnatural fibers, shaving, working on Shabbas, eating lobster or shrimp and having more than one plant in your garden are abominations in the eyes of God, equal to that of homosexuality.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:12 am

d) Scripture
I like Scriptures. Especially the parts in Leviticus where wearing unnatural fibers, shaving, working on Shabbas, eating lobster or shrimp and having more than one plant in your garden are abominations in the eyes of God, equal to that of homosexuality.
Ditto.

-------------

I voted for fractals, but as a literal interpretation, not suminonA's. Personally, mathematical concepts such as fractals are much more concrete and sure. Given the question "which one is more likely," I'll pick math over any theological concept.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:43 am

I voted for fractals, but as a literal interpretation, not suminonA's. Personally, mathematical concepts such as fractals are much more concrete and sure. Given the question "which one is more likely," I'll pick
math over any theological concept.
eriador, It’s your choice. Thanks for voting.
The idea of the poll is to choose between the first two options. The third option is there because there are always people who are undecided. If you have a better reason for the third than for the rest, I have no problem with that. :)

Anyway, I’d ask you, if the only two options were the first two, what would you vote?

A.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 am

"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child." - Robert A Heinlen.

So the second option.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:45 am

God creates dinosaurs.
God destroys dinosaurs.
God creates man.
Man creates dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs eat man.
Woman inherits the earth.
The enemy's fly is down.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:16 am

God creates dinosaurs.
God destroys dinosaurs.
God creates man.
Man creates dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs eat man.
Remember that "Jurassic Park" is a work of fiction ;)

BTW, you "forgot" the line "Man destroys God" before creating dinosaurs. :P

A.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:42 am

God creates dinosaurs.
God destroys dinosaurs.
God creates man.
Man creates dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs eat man.
Remember that "Jurassic Park" is a work of fiction ;)

BTW, you "forgot" the line "Man destroys God" before creating dinosaurs. :P

A.
There are some who might say the Bible is a work of fiction.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 am

There are some who might say the Bible is a work of fiction.
I know, I'm one of them.

[note that "work of fiction" doesn't mean everything it describes is false, just that not everything is true ;) ]

A.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:28 am

d) Scripture
Ditto.

Best. Arguement. Ever. Please, please, point out more places in scripture like you know the bible so much better then any Christian could. I know that I just take the bible as scripture without reading it. Man, oh, man I wish someone would have told me about those parts before! :roll:
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:37 am

d) Scripture
Which means, apparantly, you do not like actually studying the scriptures, or learning about a fun little word called 'context'.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:18 am

d) Scripture
Ditto.

Best. Arguement. Ever. Please, please, point out more places in scripture like you know the bible so much better then any Christian could. I know that I just take the bible as scripture without reading it. Man, oh, man I wish someone would have told me about those parts before! :roll:
Read Leviticus, it's a riot.

-------------

Taalcon,
That is taken in context. Read Leviticus.

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:20 am

Could anyone quote the relevant paragraphs before the name-throwing starts?

Thanks.

A.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:26 am

Here is the full text of Leviticus. I don't know exactly where the relevant passages are, but I'll look it up and quote them. If you find them, don't hesitate to quote those passages (with the correct citation).

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:37 am

c'mon, the wikibible? you can do better. doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, they're going to use the fact that it is wiki to void your argument.
Ubernaustrum

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:40 am

Here is the full text of Leviticus. I don't know exactly where the relevant passages are, but I'll look it up and quote them. If you find them, don't hesitate to quote those passages (with the correct citation).
I've read Leviticus, in its entirety, more than a few times. In context with reading the entirety of the Bible.

Have YOU read all of Leviticus? Have YOU read the entire Bible, Genesis to Revelation? Have you ever honestly tried to understand the context or purposes therein, or does making fun of things you don't understand at first glance just seem more fun to you?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:43 am

Mommy, how come wikibible calls both Exodus and Leviticus "the second book of Moses"?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:44 am

Don't ask such questions, dear. If wikiBible was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for us.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:48 am

told you so, eriador.
Ubernaustrum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:05 am

Seriously, Christians aren't morons who just ignore these parts of the Bible. We discuss, struggle, study and disect the bible way more then anyone else. We do this because it's important to us. I can give you many reasons why Leviticus is important and why we don't follow some of it's laws anymore, and why the food laws were really important back then.

My minor is in Biblical Studies. I know what I'm talking about and I can bet that I know alot more about the Bible then you (eriador and Anthony).

It's like yelling at a scientist: E=MCsquared! Over and over when you don't even know what the letters stand for.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 am

What argument? Seriously? There was no argument. He said, for all intents and purposes, "All this is so silly. And it's REALLY in the BIBLE, although you probably don't believe me. Here's the proof!"

I'll go up a notch, and post a link to http://www.biblegateway.com - we fully admit and know that Leviticus is, in fact, in the Bible. It is in the Old Testament, it is the 3rd Book of Moses in the section of writings known as torah, or "The Law".

I have read it. I bet Jayelle has read it, too. We've studied it, and we have a basis for context, but theological, and historical.

I haven't taken Collegiate classes on the Bible. But I do my own personal study not only on the text, but the ancient languages, cultures, contemporary literature, etc. I do not just learn about scripture, I live by its precepts, in context.

What is the argument we are avoiding?

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:40 am

People need to realize that just becuse it's a wiki, it doesn't mean that I'm wrong. Wikisource is a good source for texts, so chill out guys.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:43 am

i think you'd have an easier time convincing them that they are wrong in their views on religion
Ubernaustrum

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 am

I'm wondering... did Jayelle miss an "m" in her most recent post, or did Taalcon see one extra?

A.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:25 am

I don't know, but Taal added an “A” to one of my posts.

Taal, old boy, I never said you were avoiding an argument. Put your defenses down. Your hackles are up. I was saying you would VOID (as in cancel... c’mon a well educated man of your stripe should know that word) eriador’s argument about Leviticus due to the fact that he was referencing a wiki.

I never understood why people use automatic defenses when it comes to talking about religion. It makes them out to be an ass.
Ubernaustrum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:12 pm

People need to realize that just becuse it's a wiki, it doesn't mean that I'm wrong. Wikisource is a good source for texts, so chill out guys.
Not arguing the wiki (even though it does have an error that I teased right off the bat), I'm arguing that I've read (and studied) Leviticus.

I missed an m? I'm so confused...

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:29 pm

I missed an m? I'm so confused...
I think we'll need Taalcon to sort this out. :)

A.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:16 pm

i fear the only way to lure out our friend Taal is to make some remark about a section of the bible, so that he can call us wrong.
Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”