Wedding Planning!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 am

wedding recaps on my blog
I got to this at work today. Have I mentioned I love pictures? Surely I have. I loved your pictures and the narration was fun, as always.

But...it made me want ice cream and gummy bears so bad.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 am

I have to say that it was the tastiest ice cream i've ever eaten. I no not regret for one minute having and ice cream sundae bar instead of "real food"
Yay, I'm a llama again!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:23 pm

So far we have identified three dates, cleared them with the three likely venues and will be making a decision on date and venues by sunday. Church is cleared already for all the dates. We think we know who is going to cater rehearsal dinner and where it will be at.

And I looked at a lot of cake vendors. even if we have a venue that has required vendors, rather than our own choice for cake, we'll still go out and taste at other places. :D Clearly, the cake is the best part of wedding planning. that and tasting catering options as well.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Clearly, the cake is the best part of wedding planning
Is it wrong to say "And the wedding"? Because that's the real reason I'm going. ;)

Can't wait to find out when; I don't plan on being here next summer but I'm still going to email the date to the Asst. Director "just in case." We normally can't take Summer Reading off, so I want to give her no reasons to not work with me if I tell her a year in advance.

Speaking of cake, Helen, I forgot to mention earlier that I love the design on yours. Enough that I have that pattern scattered throughout my room.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 pm

We told the cake lady to make it look however she wanted to. I thought she would faint when I told her we weren't having a cake topper, though.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 pm

*Sigh*

So having the wedding up on the family land is officially off the table. We met with them this weekend and everyone was very very very uncomfortable/unhappy with the idea, and despite what David and I wanted, it is really not worth it to piss off his entire family by extracting such a very large favor from them when they're unwilling.

Partly it is a relief, because at least it is a final decision and that avenue is closed to us. We can stop planning the Family Land Wedding, because that wedding is not happening.

It's also a disappointment. But that's to be expected.

Which leaves us back at square one and ramps up my panic to about an 11.

I am afraid we are going to have to make a choice and sacrifice either food or location to stay within our budget. We want to spend a lot on food, because food and food politics are important to us. We want a local, organic meal. That means the venue we book has to allow open catering. Which, in Minnesota, is super rare. Unless we want to book a VFW hall, but......I don't want to do that. OR we could get a beautiful venue, and be stuck with their in-house caterer. Which I don't want to do either.

So far, there isn't anything within our budget that fits both my food and aesthetic requirements and is also within the Twin Cities proper and not out in the middle of nowhere (if we're not using the family land, we're staying in the cities so that the out of town guests don't have to rent cars in addition to buying plane tickets).

I also need to find a way to kindly ask David's mother to stop. She keeps offering to pay for the James J Hill library for us, which has exactly one weekend left open next summer, and yes, it allows open catering there and is so woefully beyond our budget. But it is beautiful and I adore it and want so so much to get married there. Her offers to pay for it are well meant, but she is not in a good financial situation right now. We can't accept that money. And we can't afford it on our own. So I need to get over it already.

Ugh.

I wish I didn't care so much.

I wish MN and MA were not so far apart.

I wish I were enjoying this more.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I just had a "holy crap, I'm actually getting married" moment. The first of many, I'm sure.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Well, I just heard from my mom that the venue we picked out for our engagement party might not work out. Turns out the lady who co-owns the space wants us to pay $2000 now for the party which will be held next August. Yeah, we don't have that much money right now... with any luck we'll still be able to take our engagement pictures there, though.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:10 am

we have locked down church, officiant, reception venue, wedding party and date (June 10th!).

Oh, and Renee bought a dress today. off-the-rack actually, so she already has it. We've got a tentative on the DJ, hope he's available, and we're both really really hoping that our first choice photographers are available and not much more expensive than they were for our friends' wedding back in march. Photographer seems to be the big area where we didn't budget appropriately, even though we thought we were budgeting very generously for that area. If we can get the price our friends got, or even that price plus 20% I'll make up the difference. I'm a pretty good saver, so if I know I need an extra 1500$ for the photographer, I can swing that with ten months to plan.

A friend of mine will probably do engagement photos for us for very reasonable, but first he has to finish producing a feature. My thought is to recreate our first date for the photos rather than posed, have them be more fun, I already kind of know the look I want him to get, but we'll probably only make three actual 'setups' in terms of shots I particularly want. :)

I think the next thing we'll worry about is hotel and cake and scheduling a food tasting with our venue.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:14 am

(June 10th!).
A f****** fabulous wedding date, my good man.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:23 am

we have locked down church, officiant, reception venue, wedding party and date (June 10th!).

Oh, and Renee bought a dress today. off-the-rack actually, so she already has it. We've got a tentative on the DJ, hope he's available, and we're both really really hoping that our first choice photographers are available and not much more expensive than they were for our friends' wedding back in march. Photographer seems to be the big area where we didn't budget appropriately, even though we thought we were budgeting very generously for that area. If we can get the price our friends got, or even that price plus 20% I'll make up the difference. I'm a pretty good saver, so if I know I need an extra 1500$ for the photographer, I can swing that with ten months to plan.

A friend of mine will probably do engagement photos for us for very reasonable, but first he has to finish producing a feature. My thought is to recreate our first date for the photos rather than posed, have them be more fun, I already kind of know the look I want him to get, but we'll probably only make three actual 'setups' in terms of shots I particularly want. :)

I think the next thing we'll worry about is hotel and cake and scheduling a food tasting with our venue.

:::is speechless:::

How is it possible to accomplish that in the, like, two weeks that you've been engaged, when all we've accomplished in two months is perfecting our MOANS OF UTTER AGONY?!

I'm in awe.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:29 am

You did make some awesome book flowers. I'd consider that a signifcant achievement. :)
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 am

Ok, then, MOANS OF UTTER AGONY, roughly 40 paper flowers, and more hot glue gun burns than I can count. Those things I can cross of my list!

Seriously, Adam. Is it something in the water? Did you and Renee secretly plan your wedding before getting engaged? TELL ME YOUR SECRET.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:50 am

(June 10th!).
A f****** fabulous wedding date, my good man.
That's my parents' anniversary. :)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am

Maybe they have cooperative family?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 am

Maybe they have cooperative family?
This. We couldn't really do any of it if her parents weren't putting down deposits for us. And her parents have budgeted and saved for their daughters' weddings for years, so there's money that's been set aside for it. Also, Renee knew she wanted it in her church, with her pastor officiating, the venue we got was the first one she mentioned off hand when we were first discussing it, though she looked at half a dozen others with her mom, after a week she was pretty certain that was it, I saw it twice, at night and in the day, and it's just perfect, exactly what I would have wanted as well (spectacular view of LA from the mountains). The dress surprised me, but she found it on her third or fourth place she visited dress shopping, so she went back with her mom (since she found this one on a trip with a friend) and both agreed it was perfect, and they went ahead and got it, since it was an off the rack store. :-p

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 am

Rock on!

I wish you continued smooth sailing in your planning!

I'm DETERMINED to have the date set by the end of this month. DETERMINED.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Adam, I'm so glad your wedding planning is going as well as mind did! Kelly, I'm so sorry yours is not!

16 days til my wedding!
-Kim

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Kelly, have you thought about pushing the date back a couple years? It helps take some of the pressure off, and there's absolutely no rule saying you have to get married within a year of getting engaged. We're waiting til 4/4/14, so we have lots of time to tour different venues, look at lots of vendors, and get creative with decorations. Also, your venue of choice will be less booked so far in advance.

Anyone gone to any bridal shows yet? It's a good idea, you can sample food from a bunch of caterers, and check out several photographers at once. Plus, there's tons of drawings. A bride at a show I went to a few weeks ago won a complete photography package worth thousands.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:38 am

While I know pushing back the wedding is an option in theory, it's not really an option in my personal reality. Even if my ovaries would allow it (they won't), David and I are ready to begin the next stages of our lives together. Neither one of us wants to wait. If the timeframe for the wedding is being moved at all, it's moving forward, not back.

4/4/14 is such a cool wedding date, though!

In other news: I think I am playing my damsel in distress card. Over my wedding. And that sucks. Am resolving to tone down the hysteria a bit.

Now, this next bit, with as little hysteria as possible.

Last night David and I steamrolled through venue research. In the end, we made an appointment for lunchtime today to go scope out the Landmark Center, which just so happens to be directly across from the James J. Hill Library. :::headdesk::: But, that also means it's in the same perfect location as the library. Minutes from our apartment, walkable from the farmers market (where I plan to get my flowers the morning of the wedding), tons of hotels all over the place, two on the very same block, right downtown.

It's an old post office/town hall. Really high ceilings with lots of natural light. Big open space. Ornate columns and beautiful tiled floors. Nice. Historical. Whatever. If we only rent the lobby (and thus allow other people/functions to use the building on our wedding day) it's $1000 less than the library and within our budget. It allows open catering. All good things.

And yet....I'm left cold by it. I've read some mixed reviews from couples who've had their weddings there. It seems the events coordinator can be a bit of an a******. But still, lots of the reviews are positive. But I am just...not feeling it. Still, on paper it's the best option we have so far. So David and I made this appointment to go scope it out and pretty much decided that unless we LOATHE it, we're going to put down a deposit.

Which is fine. Except I have accidentally fallen in love with another venue.

After our wedding planning was done for the evening David went out to meet a friend for a drink. It's nearly apple picking time, so I was looking up the orchard David and I went to last year to see what types of apples the have available this year and lo and behold. They do weddings.

A wedding. In an apple orchard. If I was getting married back in Massachusetts we would be getting married in the apple orchard 5 miles from where I grew up.

I figured that something, ultimately, had to be wrong with it, so I decided to investigate more thoroughly. Open catering? Check. Free lawn games? Check. Huge, gorgeous white tent with lighting included in the rental price? Check. Stocked and tended bonfire? Check. Within our budget? Check. IN AN APPLE ORCHARD? CHECK.

I started hyperventilating, I actually could not believe how seemingly perfect this place was. I googled the hell out of it and found a handful of simple, sweet, homemade-type-feeling weddings that have been held at this orchard and they were all beautiful.

There's a little gazebo and open lawn and a tent and APPLE TREES.

The catch? It is, obviously, not in the cities. It's much, much closer than David's family land is, though. And there are lots of accessible hotels near by. Getting from the airport to the hotel to the orchard and back poses a bit of a problem. But a LOT of hotels have shuttle service these days...

That is the only con. We can essentially have the outdoor, quirky, board game and jazz music, organic locally sourced, community-centric wedding we were hoping to have on his family's land. Just...in an APPLE ORCHARD.

I stayed awake late to wait up for David because I was so so nervous he'd be upset because we'd sort of resigned ourselves to the other place. I needn't have worried. He LOVED it.

We're keeping our appointment at the Landmark Center just in case. But I'm going to email the orchard today. Hopefully they'll have some availablity next summer/fall! GAH!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:24 am

Oh, Kelly, that is so exciting!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 am

Kelly, I am OVERJOYED!! I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:50 am

Rental cars are not THAT much of an extra expense. We are talking, what, an extra $100 tops for a long weekend for a car? And people who are family or close friends can share cars. Anyway, if you love it, I would not worry about the car situation. Let people deal with it!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:06 am

Good luck!!

If it helps, our ceremony was an hour(ish) drive from our reception, and everyone managed just fine, even the people who had to take the train in from one to the other. All the out-of-towners managed. It's totally doable! And it sounds so like you!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 am

*sends good thoughts*

Oh man, an apple orchard would be amazing!!!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:36 am

Yay Kelly! You're wedding plans just went from pretty cool to downright awesome! (Anyone who is still griping at this point because you're not doing things by the book needs to be shot [and their ticket given to me >.>]).

As for transportation, out-of-towners should be able to carpool with locals if public transit doesn't reach out to the orchard. Or you might be able to get a group discount if you call the car rental agencies in advance and ask if they have any deals for out-of-town wedding parties. (I don't even know if they do that sort of thing, but it's worth a shot.)
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Hee! I knew it! I knew the wedding gods were rooting for you.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Yahoo! That sounds lovely. I hope it all works out!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:33 am

m
Last edited by VelvetElvis on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:00 am

Were you the one with the zombie wedding or was that Resa?
The enemy's fly is down.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:46 am

No zombies.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:46 am

we nailed down our wedding photographer yesterday. Met with them at a coffee shop and knew within a minute or less of talking with them that they were just too perfect. We'd already seen their work at our friends' wedding, but getting to know them ourselves really solidified it. Lots of our friends' wedding photos are at the link below. Here they are, I LOVE their work and have no problem paying a bit over our budget for them. :)

http://www.micahandmegan.com/index2.php?v=v1

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Adam, as great as it is to have you back and posting again, you may want to consider not posting in this particular thread before Kelly makes certain you have a zombie wedding. :P
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Haha, Adam, and everyone else may post freely. I may be INSANELY jealous of you wedding zen, but I proooobably won't hurt you.

Probably. :D

Asked for an appointment to tour the orchard and hopefully book it (can't imagine we won't--we're obsessed with it) on Saturday, but am still waiting to hear back from the coordinator there.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 pm

we nailed down our wedding photographer yesterday.
You might want to pry them up again before the wedding. Otherwise you might gets only shots all from the same angle, if you get any at all.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Return to “Milagre Town Square”