Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:14 am

I really want to draw an engagement ring on Kelly's finger in her FB profile pic. The sly smile is just perfect to say "haha! I'm engaged!" and the left hand is just positioned SO perfectly to subtly show off a ring.
You totally need to Pweb Stamp of Approval this. Too perfect.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:48 am

If you're quick about the killing it's not bad. What were you catching/trying to catch? Fishing is really quite relaxing and fun and it's been far too long since I've been. Also, fresh fish is so tasty...
We were trying to catch trout. We weren't in a boat but standing at the shore of a lake. It was raining on and off but we still had fun. I had to buy a fishing license for $5 for the day. Hopefully if I try again, I'll actually get to eat something for my $5!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 am

I think the $5 for the joy of fishing is a fair deal, but $5 for some delicious trout would be amazing!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:40 pm

I used to jokingly mispronounce Utah as "oooh-tah" (oooh, to rhyme with the proper "you," as in oooh la la). Reading a news article about the state, I found I unintentionally mispronounced it in my head.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm scared of fish, but I LOVE to go fishing. It's been years (probably more then 10...) since i've gone, and I miss it horribly! When I really get in the mood, I can kill, clean, and cook the fish. But I have to really psyche myself into it.

I go crabbing way more then I go fishing.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:22 pm

i'm so happy that i get to go fishing each year, as often as i want. dad has a boat and our usual lake is only like 15 minutes away and has decent fishing. only been out twice this year, but i gotta say, fishing has been good.

it's ok to be jealous
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 am

People exhaust me.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 pm

People exhaust me.
Amen and *hugs*
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:06 am

Still having an anti-people day today. Maybe I can be civil later on if the people in the computer lab can resist chatting with each other.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:02 am

Back to being anti-people. Had an utterly exhausting day yesterday where I was social from the word GO until right before bed, and while that was very fun indeed, I want nothing at all to do with anyone.

Alas, I need to go to the corner store and probably should go to the yarn store eventually, if I want to start knitting.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:51 pm

teeheehee, I now have a Chicago based number and it is giving me a case of giddiness that's hard to describe. So what if it's only for Google Voice? It's exciting.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Crying old men make me cry. I am a co-cryer.

We diagnosed a cat today with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. We had to tell his owner (who told us over and over that he cannot lose this cat) that his cat has less than 2 months to live.

The sobbing with the head hanging and the hair pulling... I just... can't. Definitely some crying today.
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am

On the topic of animal confessions: I am petsitting a leopard gecko for a friend and last time I did, my cat sat on top of the cage and broke through the top. You'd think this would have taught me to keep the cage in my bedroom where the cats aren't allowed but no, I'm not that bright. Last night, my cat was again sitting on top of the cage (with a much sturdier top) and jumped off of it, knocking the entire [glass] cage off of the counter. It crashed to the floor and shattered. The poor little gecko ended up with her head trapped under the cage. She's okay! I'll say that now. But only because we were sitting right there and I was able to grab the remnants of the cage off of her neck and pull her to safety. She was definitely traumatized and in shock and a bit scraped up. But she was moving and I checked her pupil dilation with a flashlight and they seemed normal. It was awful. My heart was beating so fast.

I went and got a new cage at 8pm last night and got her all settled in, in the bedroom this time! She seems fine and even ate a ton last night (as opposed to Babe, who still won't eat). But I felt so incredibly terrible. :(
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Confession: When I read a facebook argument I'm torn between correcting ignorance and saving the poor souls and letting it continue for my own enjoyment.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 pm

correcting ignorance and saving the poor souls
I can tell you, from experience, this is not possible.

The sad thing is, I really do get all "People are wrong on the internet!" and feel like I might have a chance at showing them the light.

So much wasted time and energy.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Confession: There are times, though it's not often, when I get the impression he's looking for my approval and it makes me do something in between a smile and a chuckle...I want to tell him, in those moments, "You already have it." I mean, not for literally everything he says or does (like the whole OMG SHE'S SO HOT - to which I say I sincerely do not care. I wish ya da best of luck findin someone who does., which is more or less the very thing I hear when I talk about football or politics) but in a fundamental, who he is as a person sort of way. I guess I have that reaction because it feels like I'm always after his, so it's nice to have the tables turned, even if only in my head.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 am

Ugh. I took the bus back from campus today. I hate taking the bus, and I resent spending money on it, but I was chilled from being in the manuscript room, I was super tired, and super super hungry.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Confession: I just got the (not so) hidden message in the Britney Spears song "If U Seek Amy".
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:52 pm

All of the boys and all of the girls are begging to... :D

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 am

I went to a friend's house with a whole bunch of other people for a camp out last night. I really don't like smoke and bugs and the horrible heat and humidity but I went because my husband wanted to and to not be a party pooper. But I spent most of the night inside in the air conditioning playing trivial pursuit with my brother. It was the high point for me. And then I slept inside in their guest room (which I had planned on). Breakfast was good. But I was so glad to come home. I am such a non-outdoors-man.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:38 pm

I really love making my own sound effects when I play Angry Birds. I am fortunate that my husband finds this endearing, rather than impossibly irritating. Last night, I added the chicken sounds/song from the end of Robot Chicken to my arsenal. I have yet to be able to get it out of my head for more than a couple of hours.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Confession: I'm posting all these pictures in a pathetic attempt to become Alea's favorite. :wink:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:44 pm

haha, I posted in the Smells thread before I even saw this post. It's working!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 am

Confession: I'm posting all these pictures in a pathetic attempt to become Alea's favorite. :wink:
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:15 pm

That's just sad... :?

I secretly want to be her favourite too. Arm-wrestle you for it??
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 pm

I can't compete with your arms. Rock, paper, scissors?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Deal. Here's how it will work. We each PM Alea our choice (rock, paper, or scissors) she tells us who won. Okay?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:52 am

GUYS IT DOESN'T MATTER EVERYONE KNOWS I AM HER FAVORITE SHEESH TALK ABOUT JEALOUS.

But I should probably post this month's picture, eh? Almost embarrassing.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah? Did you talk to/at her for over an HOUR last night?

...didn't think so.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:35 am

Deal. Here's how it will work. We each PM Alea our choice (rock, paper, or scissors) she tells us who won. Okay?
You're on.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 am

Nice try, everyone, but I've got the Alea market CORNERED! She visited me AND I taught her the greatest silly song she'd ever heard. So ha!! :P
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:33 am

When did this have time to turn so embarrassing? You guys are sweet; crazy, but sweet. I'm also going with the cop-out response that is: I love you all for different reasons.

Jason, Shannon's move beat yours.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 pm

When did this have time to turn so embarrassing? You guys are sweet; crazy, but sweet. I'm also going with the cop-out response that is: I love you all for different reasons.

What?! I haven't even made my move yet! Was there a time limit? I wanted to sleep on it, and maybe do some research on rock/paper/scissors statistics... But clearly you've made your choice so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. For the record, I would have picked scissors
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 pm

What?! I haven't even made my move yet! Was there a time limit? I wanted to sleep on it, and maybe do some research on rock/paper/scissors statistics... But clearly you've made your choice so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. For the record, I would have picked scissors
Victory is mine!

And I would have won anyway.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:43 pm

So touchy. Also, please see above about sweet-but-crazy and cop-out responses.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”