Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm

I must live in an area where there are just enough Canada Geese (I always call them Canadian Geese but I just found out that's not correct) that they are still enjoyable to look at and interact with. Maybe it's because I'm a few hours away from Canada. I've never been attacked by one but I love taking pictures of them and their goslings.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:15 pm

I always say Canadian Geese too. We use to have a lot of them around my elementary school.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 pm

It's also because they're not a protected species there. In Canada, if a flock of geese wants to hold up a three-lane street, they just park their little tails down on the asphalt, and traffic has to wait. We're not allowed to kill them. And they know it. They know the myriad honks are just empty threats.

Jerks.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I just horrified Jan by confessing that I've never seen Grease. Or Saved by the Bell.

And a Canada goose once attacked my father. He's never golfed since.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 pm

I just horrified Jan by confessing that I've never seen Grease. Or Saved by the Bell.
I've never seen Grease. Or Saved by the Bell.
Or Saved by the Bell.
Saved by the Bell.
:shock:
:x
:evil:
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 pm

In Canada, if a flock of geese wants to hold up a three-lane street, they just park their little tails down on the asphalt, and traffic has to wait. We're not allowed to kill them.
There's quite a large gap between "waiting for them to move" and "killing them".
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:48 am

I used to really dislike saved by the bell because it meant the end of cartoons for the saturday.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 am

There's quite a large gap between "waiting for them to move" and "killing them".
Yeah, I'm really in the camp of possibly slowing down, but still advancing. Even geese will move when they realise you aren't going to stop, and I feel no guilt if they die when I was moving slowly enough to give them ample of time to move out of the way.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:41 am

It's also because they're not a protected species there.
I'm pretty the USDA actively goes out to kill them when they get too annoying.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:19 pm

I know my brother is suffering from mental illness but his current mode of aggressive, manipulative and mean is making me really not like him very much. It is hard to maintain sympathy for someone who seems more like a jerk than anything else.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Confession: It's pretty dumb, but I sort of resent the fact that for the first time in my career I have colleagues who are younger than me.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Finally delurking to remark on this:
I would break my herbivorism for a Canada goose. I hate those bastards.
Remember when you were supposed to distract me while my parents got everyone together for my surprise birthday party? And then they called you while you were driving me back as they needed more time. So you stopped in front of a Canada goose that was on the other side of the road, and said "Look! A goose!" . So we stopped for five minutes to look at the stupid goose.

And I remember thinking, "But I hate geese! And EL hates geese... so why are stopped here?"

It was bizarre. And I still hate Canada geese.
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Finally delurking to remark on this:
I would break my herbivorism for a Canada goose. I hate those bastards.
Remember when you were supposed to distract me while my parents got everyone together for my surprise birthday party? And then they called you while you were driving me back as they needed more time. So you stopped in front of a Canada goose that was on the other side of the road, and said "Look! A goose!" . So we stopped for five minutes to look at the stupid goose.

And I remember thinking, "But I hate geese! And EL hates geese... so why are stopped here?"

It was bizarre. And I still hate Canada geese.
LOL! I'd forgotten that. They were running on "Your Mom Time" and I was getting desperate.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 pm

I am worthless.
The password is "guilty"

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:57 am

Incorrect.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:55 pm

It severely disappoints me that it takes a newbie coming in and acting like an asshat to get people to wake up around here.

And then it makes me feel stupid; people don't post because they have lives and I don't.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Confession: I did it (by drunken text message; I have feelings for you but that doesn't mean I am going to do anything to be nearer to you) and then I didn't look at his response. My friend read it and said he thought I was joking, which could have to do with the fact we discussed getting fake engaged to him on April Fool's. I don't know what to think. But mostly whatever.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:08 pm

It severely disappoints me that it takes a newbie coming in and acting like an asshat to get people to wake up around here.

And then it makes me feel stupid; people don't post because they have lives and I don't.
Is that a compliment to newbies? And a dis at the same time? And don't worry that you have no life. I know you say that alot, but I felt like jumping on it this time. You're like the life of PWeb, Alea. I'm pretty sure others would agree. I too have a life. It just doesn't involve posting here as much as some people.

Confessions, Whoever You Are: You have a life too.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Is that a compliment to newbies? And a dis at the same time? And don't worry that you have no life. I know you say that alot, but I felt like jumping on it this time. You're like the life of PWeb, Alea. I'm pretty sure others would agree. I too have a life. It just doesn't involve posting here as much as some people.
Oh, well, hmm. Here goes nothing.

It is, perhaps an insult as well as a compliment; I enjoy the way the board comes alive when an over-eager new person posts but that eagerness almost always brings obnoxious behavior along with it. I don't think that is a bad thing in and of itself, since it is the rare member who wasn't/isn't obnoxious at some point in time, myself included. It can, in fact, be endearing. The best part, to me, about getting those new people is watching them find their place, form friendships, and in turn, tease a new batch of newbies -it's the gift that keeps on giving. New people are good; they keep the board alive.

I know I complain a lot (having no life is just one of many of my broken records) but in this case, it's true. You missed a pretty big part of that story, J_G15, so you'll have to take my word when I say I go to work, I do the rare trip out of town, but mostly I stay at home otherwise. I currently do not have a life. It is a sweet sentiment, what you said regarding my place at Pweb but hopefully you understand, as dear as this place is to me, that is not enough. I'm getting cabin fever and will entertain it for the next year, while I am forced to do so, but change is gonna come, oh yes it is.

In the meantime, I miss the level of activity there used to be, that didn't comprise of mostly the same 3-4 people, but I'll keep posting and trying, even if I have nothing exciting to offer.

ETA: Most of my Pweb generation's Oldies are gone or have since started their adult lives, making them less available in a pretty major way. The natural order of things would include me doing the same. I just haven't. Yet.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Sometimes having a slower lifestyle is better for a person.

And maybe you will bring in some of your Oldie Buddies. Maybe the PWeb-Get-Together will wake 'em up. (By the way, I don't think I'll be able to go to that anytime soon.) Come on, People, she's getting bored over here! *points* Start posting!
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Confession: Yea, I'm 20, live on my own, etc, but my parents would still not approve of me going to Colorado to meet people off the internet. I need to work on their issues. Of course, going to Las Vegas to celebrate my birthday with planned debauchery with one of my bffs might not be the best way to help with said convincing....but uh, its my money.
You're not alone. I'm 27, married, have 3 kids and I'm not telling my parents that people from the internet are coming to visit. I know they wouldn't approve.

ETA: EL and JL, Brian said that he would gladly kill and cook a goose for you. They overtake any grassy area in Northern Colorado and crap all over the place. It makes it hard to have a nice picnic when there is goose crap everywhere. It's also not fun to have them trying to steal our lunch at the zoo and having to chase them off with the stroller so they don't injure my children.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I thought I was over digging around his stuff looking for things that would upset me.
The password is "guilty"

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I just found out that there's a branch of my company in Valencia that I could potentially transfer to. I like that potential. One possible light at the end of the tunnel...
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:45 am

What Valencia? O_o MY Valencia?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kNHiGIKGQ

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 am

Clearly he meant O, Valencia!

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Confession: I never lock my house; neither when I'm home nor when I'm not home. I also rarely lock my car (only if I happen to be in a "scary" area of the city). In my driveway, I actually leave the keys in the ignition of my car. My husband does the same thing.

Now, I do live in a fairly rural and safe area but I'm still a total aberration even considering that. My friends and family think I'm crazy. However, I have never known anyone personally who has had their home or car broken into (unless they were traveling to another area). I like being crazy and feeling safe anyway.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Confession: Yea, I'm 20, live on my own, etc, but my parents would still not approve of me going to Colorado to meet people off the internet. I need to work on their issues. Of course, going to Las Vegas to celebrate my birthday with planned debauchery with one of my bffs might not be the best way to help with said convincing....but uh, its my money.
You're not alone. I'm 27, married, have 3 kids and I'm not telling my parents that people from the internet are coming to visit. I know they wouldn't approve.

ETA: EL and JL, Brian said that he would gladly kill and cook a goose for you. They overtake any grassy area in Northern Colorado and crap all over the place. It makes it hard to have a nice picnic when there is goose crap everywhere. It's also not fun to have them trying to steal our lunch at the zoo and having to chase them off with the stroller so they don't injure my children.
My parents gave up when I married someone from the internet. Now I just say "someone I know online" and they shrug and carry on.

Please, PLEASE if we visit do this. Please!

In other news, I'm utterly gleeful that the Peter Pan Guy found his Tinkerbell and got married! I was convinced his quest was going to be an extremely, extremely long one.

Guys, take heart! If the Peter Pan Guy can do it, so can you!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Confession: What if I made the wrong decision?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 pm

I don't care if it was the stupidity of youth that resulted in it before; the fact that I was told "no" the last time I asked hurts.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 am

I need more things in my life to look forward to. That don't require a whole lot of effort on my part.

When I'm showering in the morning, if I'm not careful I will forget whether or not I have washed my hair because I'm so preoccupied with other thoughts.

I know that I'm improving. It just doesn't feel fast enough.

I cannot seem to stop picking my fingernails. It started being a problem a couple of weeks ago and has magnified since. I am guessing this has something to do with why my fingertips get freezing cold when I type.

Spring is just a really intense time of year. For a lot of people, I'm discovering.

Alright. One thing a day that is physically good for me, one thing I emotionally enjoy, one thing that makes me feel more connected to others. That's the plan for the week.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Confession:

I relate too much to the TV show, Glee. You read that right. And seriously, it's embarrassing.

When having a serious conversation with someone, you shouldn't compare yourself to two separate characters from a TV show. Especially if that TV show is a high school show.

Perhaps I need a new hobby, LOL

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm having a baby in early December.
The password is "guilty"

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm having a baby in early December.
Does this have anything to do with EL's vivid dreams?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Ugh, that confession is driving me nuts! I <3 pweb babies : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:26 pm

TeeHee. There's a clue, just like when it was Steph.
The password is "guilty"

Return to “Milagre Town Square”