Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu May 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Confession: I have been an absolute child for the past two days.
Been there.
Gotta love the mormon and the catholic confessing that.
:)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm

I brought Pheeny to the beach yesterday thinking it would be great for her to get all that natural sunlight. But her one eye hasn't been right for awhile, it gets cloudy when she is in the sun. I think she got WAY to much sun (she needs little sunglasses!) and it really irritated her eye. She has been keeping it closed all day and I feel like a horrible mommy. :(
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu May 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Poor thing :( You are not horrible, though! You were looking to let her get good things!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu May 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks, Rei. It's such a catch-22. She needs the UV but the UV is hurting her eye. I'm trying to come up with a creative and workable solution for this. My husband is going to help me...he's good at building things. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu May 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Eyepatch? I want to see Pheeny with an eyepatch!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu May 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Lasik?

ben stein says Visine get's the red out... wow.
Ubernaustrum

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu May 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Arrrrrr!!!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri May 27, 2011 2:58 am

That would be AMAZING :D
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri May 27, 2011 7:43 am

That's looking likely. I'm gonna work on it today. Then to see if she'll keep it on!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri May 27, 2011 8:33 am

Sometimes I look back at the moment I decided to pursue writing instead of theatre and I mourn a little bit for my "ghost life" and the path I didn't take.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:54 am

Confession: While I prefer air-popped or stovetop most days, I sometimes crave microwave popcorn. And I like it. Even the fake horrible butter flavored stuff. I usually do go for the less buttered stuff because it tastes better, but sometimes butter lovers is delicious. Especially when it's a little stale.

I am weird.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I am weird.
Nope. Or, possibly, but not because of that.

What I'm about to say, by the way, is not a confession but rather a nice factual statement and I have no reason to even approach the confession boundaries with it.

I like Spam, bologna, and hot dogs. I like Maruchan Ramen, cooked or raw. I eat and enjoy microwaved popcorn (the smell must not be too bad to me because I've never thought anything of it and yes, I've had stove-top popcorn: meh, nothing special) and other things that take 1-3 minutes to "cook" via the microwave. I don't care if my fruit is genetically engineered & has to have chemicals washed off of it. I don't know the difference between butter or margarine or any other similar option; I'm sure I can taste the difference but I don't think to attribute it to that. I love me carbs something fierce. I do not like bacon or cooking 99% of the time. I do not care what percentage my chocolate carries, so long as it is brown and tasty. I can eat the same meal every day and not get tired of it.

That is all.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 pm

I like Spam, bologna, and hot dogs. I like Maruchan Ramen, cooked or raw. I eat and enjoy microwaved popcorn (the smell must not be too bad to me because I've never thought anything of it and yes, I've had stove-top popcorn: meh, nothing special) and other things that take 1-3 minutes to "cook" via the microwave. I don't care if my fruit is genetically engineered & has to have chemicals washed off of it. I don't know the difference between butter or margarine or any other similar option; I'm sure I can taste the difference but I don't think to attribute it to that. I love me carbs something fierce. I do not like bacon or cooking 99% of the time. I do not care what percentage my chocolate carries, so long as it is brown and tasty. I can eat the same meal every day and not get tired of it.
Ditto to pretty much all of this. I don't think I've ever had Spam, though. I might grab some next time I'm at the store and give it a try.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat May 28, 2011 7:00 am

I like...hot dogs. I like Maruchan Ramen, cooked or raw. I eat and enjoy microwaved popcorn (the smell must not be too bad to me because I've never thought anything of it and yes, I've had stove-top popcorn: meh, nothing special) and other things that take 1-3 minutes to "cook" via the microwave. I don't care if my fruit is genetically engineered & has to have chemicals washed off of it. I don't know the difference between butter or margarine or any other similar option; I'm sure I can taste the difference but I don't think to attribute it to that. I love me carbs something fierce. I do not like bacon or cooking 99% of the time. I do not care what percentage my chocolate carries, so long as it is brown and tasty. I can eat the same meal every day and not get tired of it.
Ditto, ditto, Mr. Brook.

I am not, nor will I ever be, a foodie. I feel guilty about this at times.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat May 28, 2011 10:47 am

Ditto to pretty much all of this. I don't think I've ever had Spam, though. I might grab some next time I'm at the store and give it a try.
To eat spam: Slice. Fry. Make into sammich.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 am

I'm sick of raising my girls in a world where I have to fight for them to have choices other then pink and princess.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 pm

That's one of the reasons we're not even going to find out if it's a girl or a boy, Jan. If they don't know, they can't get us frilly pink stuff. I'm actually way more okay with stereotypical "boy" clothing as neutral - why can't a girl be dressed in trucks and dinosaurs?! I was obsessed with heavy machinery when I was 2-3 years old.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat May 28, 2011 1:05 pm

I loved being a princess when I was a wee one, so definately give them some good princess role models. Maybe Ella Enchanted?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat May 28, 2011 3:48 pm

It's not so much the actual princesses - I love fairy tales, and even the disney movies themselves, it's the clothes that have "spoiled princess" and the like emblazened on them. It's that you have to be very, very conscious about giving a child a choice "Would you like truck pajamas or flower pajamas?" involves going to two different sides of a store.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 pm

They have that kind of thing?!?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat May 28, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm actually way more okay with stereotypical "boy" clothing as neutral - why can't a girl be dressed in trucks and dinosaurs?! I was obsessed with heavy machinery when I was 2-3 years old.
Trucks would be about as irksome to me as princess things.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat May 28, 2011 6:54 pm

I saw a little girls t-shirt at The Children's Place (a kids clothing store) that had a picture of an owl and said "Worldly Wise". Seriously? You want your six year old walking around with a shirt that says they are worldly wise?

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun May 29, 2011 12:20 am

To eat spam: Slice. Fry. Make into sammich.
If it's going to require so much work, nevermind. I'll just stick to ready-to-eat brawnschweiger for my dietary needs from the questionable meat by-products food group.
The enemy's fly is down.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun May 29, 2011 2:26 am

I saw a little girls t-shirt at The Children's Place (a kids clothing store) that had a picture of an owl and said "Worldly Wise". Seriously? You want your six year old walking around with a shirt that says they are worldly wise?
Isn't that the name of an ill-fated character in PILGRIM'S PROGRESS?
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun May 29, 2011 10:59 am

I'm actually way more okay with stereotypical "boy" clothing as neutral - why can't a girl be dressed in trucks and dinosaurs?! I was obsessed with heavy machinery when I was 2-3 years old.
Trucks would be about as irksome to me as princess things.
If the Tiny One is a boy, you're going to have to get used to it -- nothing but bears, dinosaurs, trucks, & trains. My mom never got around to writing a cute truck poem, so you might console yourself by writing a heavy machinery /modes of transport nursery rhyme.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 29, 2011 11:10 am

If Wee Brontosaurus is a boy, we'll still get some neutral things and even some girly things, because why not?

Basically, I hate kids being put into stupid gender-boxes. The princess thing especially irks me, though, because it's founded on helplessness and looks.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun May 29, 2011 11:44 am

If Wee Brontosaurus is a boy, we'll still get some neutral things and even some girly things, because why not?
I figured as much. But you'll receive stereotypical boy things, from friends and loved ones, more than likely. And I'm not aware of the existence of non-handmade neutral clothing.

And I hate commercial Disney princess clothing, but I don't mind the stories and princesses themselves. Although, I don't much remember playing princess when I was a kid, despite definitely getting a good dose of fairy tales. Bride, yes. My mom had these old cancan skirts with stretchy elastic waistbands that I'd put on my head and pretend was a veil. (Or really long hair, as mine was always pretty short as a kid.) But princess? No. I was always somehow stuck in the wilderness in charge of a band of courageous make-believe siblings trying to live off the land and hide from various people. Or I was a spy. Or a vet. Or Laura Ingalls. My Barbies weren't princesses, either. Some of the My Little Ponies, were, though, now that I think about it. But they weren't passive or helpless. Actually, the princesses were rather stuck up and snotty, and the non-princess ponies tended to be the heroes of the narrative. But then, the Princess culture hadn't really taken off at that point. It's a bit scary.

On the topic of Barbies, my poor feminist mother apparently about had her head spun off on the topic of whether or not to get them for me. I definitely WANTED them. It was my father who eventually got me my first one. A cartoon in Ms. magazine eventually resigned her to it, a little girl using a wrench and a hammer to play Barbie, which was how I would've ended up, I'm pretty sure. However, as I grew up, I became acutely aware of her dislike for them, and the reasons thereunto pertaining. When I was about 12 or so and I met my best friend, we were at the age where we were still playing with Barbies, but you would never admit it to anyone except your best friend. I remember distinctly her telling me that she thought Barbie was "so pretty" and my inner gasp of shock. I mean, I thought she was really pretty, too, but I'd never even consider saying that out loud in front of God and everyone.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 29, 2011 2:15 pm

I love these shirts/onsies. Less into the vegetarian-themed ones, but I adore the animal ones!* I know you can get non-stereotyped stuff, but I also know it's a LOT harder.

* Particularly the Cthulu, shark, dinosaur, snail, octopus, squid & whale, and Saturn ones. Also the cat and the raven. So some aren't animals, but I love them.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun May 29, 2011 8:36 pm

yay orneryboy comics!

and it occurs to me that we need enemy gate is down onesies youth shirts with all the pweb kids

and some for adults that didn't get a chance on them...
Ubernaustrum

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm

and some for adults that didn't get a chance on them...
They were before my time and I only have one because Adam got one off Nomi, I think, and gifted it to me. I have no idea where I put it. I might check my dresser later, which, seriously, is the last place I would expect it to be.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun May 29, 2011 10:14 pm

I'd rather have a shirt with my version of that line.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 am

Ever since this particular XKCD appeared: http://www.xkcd.com/903/ , I have been searching very hard for something that did not lead me to Philosophy. I found it. It was a loop, where one article led me to a second article, which led me back to the first article. Unfortunately, it was fairly early on in my searches, and I did not bother to commit to memory what it was. Damnit. Because I haven't been able to remember it or find another example. My brother and I had fun playing this game yesterday, though, on the phone after mourning for our dead family cat.

ETA: Okay, technically, "Reasoning" leads to a loop and not philosophy. This only works, however, by clicking on a bolded word. While this was not forbidden by the rules, I wonder if it's not similar to clicking an italicized word. There is a big part of me that wants to just go in and take the link out that turns it into a loop, actually, as it seems that Reasoning should lead to Philosophy. I may do that.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 am

Ever since this particular XKCD appeared: http://www.xkcd.com/903/ , I have been searching very hard for something that did not lead me to Philosophy. I found it. It was a loop, where one article led me to a second article, which led me back to the first article. Unfortunately, it was fairly early on in my searches, and I did not bother to commit to memory what it was. Damnit. Because I haven't been able to remember it or find another example. My brother and I had fun playing this game yesterday, though, on the phone after mourning for our dead family cat.
Paul and I spent a good amount of time doing the same thing.

...and I'm so sorry about your cat.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 am

Yes, I ran across that infinite-loop problem too, though I also can't remember the article. I actually joked with a friend that we should re-order the links in one of the articles and supply the reason: "Solving Philosophy infinite-loop error." :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 am

I have loads of friends here and I'm impossibly lonely. How did this happen? I want my mom, I want my family, I want the people who I'm not afraid to be bleak and depressed around.

I think the depression is getting worse.

I think I'm going to ask my midwife if there are any volunteer doulas around, because I know I need someone on that front.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”