Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 pm

I think I have friendship cancer rays.

I have had 2 friends diagnosed with cancer in the last 2 months.

Billie Jean was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. The primary tumor was removed but there are 2 inoperable tumors on her spine. Her 7 month-term baby (at diagnosis) was delivered by C-section (at close to 8 months) so she could start chemo and radiation. In this process, she has lost control of her right hand. We're hoping (1) she and her baby live and (2) she regains function of her hand and arm.

Today, my friend Gillian was diagnosed with acute myelogenic leukemia M-5 acute monocytic leukemia... More testing and starting chemo tomorrow. She had abnormal blood work yesterday and a bone marrow biopsy Monday.

Billie Jean is 22. Gillian is 23. I'm just heartbroken.
-Kim

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I think I have friendship cancer rays.

I have had 2 friends diagnosed with cancer in the last 2 months.

Billie Jean was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. The primary tumor was removed but there are 2 inoperable tumors on her spine. Her 7 month-term baby (at diagnosis) was delivered by C-section (at close to 8 months) so she could start chemo and radiation. In this process, she has lost control of her right hand. We're hoping (1) she and her baby live and (2) she regains function of her hand and arm.

Today, my friend Gillian was diagnosed with acute myelogenic leukemia M-5 acute monocytic leukemia... More testing and starting chemo tomorrow. She had abnormal blood work yesterday and a bone marrow biopsy Monday.

Billie Jean is 22. Gillian is 23. I'm just heartbroken.
f***.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm

double posting to share this

And also to confess that I am kind of skeptical of the soulmate theory.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 am

There's only one soulmate theory? Is that the one that says they do or don't exist?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:08 am

That's the only one that coms to mind. :oops:
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:18 am

I definitely do not believe in soulmates. I think that way of thinking leads to a lot of heartache.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:50 am

There are soulmates. But they are made, not born. Over a long time. With effort.

That's my theory, anyway ;)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:01 pm

There are soulmates. But they are made, not born. Over a long time. With effort.

That's my theory, anyway ;)
This is pretty much my view. But I guess that's not the actual soulmate theory anyway...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Every time I get the hiccups I immediately begin to panic, imagining that they will never, ever go away and I will be one of those people who has incessant hiccups for the next 45 years. This is an actual fear of mine. How miserable.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:39 pm

I have considered the fact that I may never find someone for the long haul and that means I need to know, for myself, if I do or don't want children and whether or not it's responsible, financially or emotionally, to have them on my own if I do. In the process of starting to think about this, I've begun researching artificial insemination. It means I need to decide when to give up on men because if I do want kids, I refuse to have them past a certain age and I fear that, no matter what happens on that front, I'm going to decide I do and be unable to.

I think this is the lamest and craziest thing I've ever found myself thinking.

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm

I've fallen off the Couch to 5K bandwagon. I got past Week 4, and then took a trip two weeks ago. I have still not been able to gear myself up for starting the process again.
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Sometimes, in the back of my head, when no one is posting anything on here, I wonder if everyone is conspiring against me to make me mad that there are no posts so I'll get frustrated enough to post some stuff. I know it's not true, but sometimes, I wonder...
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 pm

I have been too tired/busy/mothery to post lately. *sigh* I'll post again soon, I promise. I just have no brain these days.

I do, however, have a car and that has made life easier!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 pm

I don't conspire, Steph but I don't handle apparent apathy well. Trying to pour posts into this place and watching them completely and utterly fail at sparking anything produced just about the same results as doing nothing for a week, so if it's all the same, I'm going to go find things to do away from the computer and save myself the frustration and mental exhaustion.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Yay for the car! And I totally understand no brain.

Alea, I read everything you post, and I'm sorry I don't do a better job at telling you that I appreciate your posts. I appreciate them! I do, I do! I just have never been a big poster. (My post count can prove that!)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Oh, goodness, no, Steph. I didn't mean I wanted attention.

I was operating under the assumption that any posting begets more posting and was simply hoping, before, that if I just threw stuff out, other people would see activity and then be active themselves.

But very quiet board for going on a month + recent case of trolling + FB activity gave me a big case of the "Why bother?"s.

The Random Speculations posts from the Three Stooges (Jeebs, brain, and Syphon) went a decent way in motivating me, though, so there's that.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:34 am

Sometimes, in the back of my head, when no one is posting anything on here, I wonder if everyone is conspiring against me to make me mad that there are no posts so I'll get frustrated enough to post some stuff. I know it's not true, but sometimes, I wonder...
I can neither confirm nor deny... >.>
The enemy's fly is down.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 am

I think some day when I'm really bored I might go and delete all of a certain douche bag's posts so I won't cringe anymore when I look at the list of top posters.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:02 am

I like it better when people post more and just bump him down to irrelevance.

*eyes Chico's post count meaningfully*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:37 am

*raises hand*

Sorry I haven't been around. First I've been off the Internet more because of my New Year's Resolution; second, the Internet connection went out; third, I got really icky sinusy sick and have barely been able to summon enough concentration to watch Star Trek reruns. Will try to do better in the future.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

I think some day when I'm really bored I might go and delete all of a certain douche bag's posts so I won't cringe anymore when I look at the list of top posters.
I can't tell with you lately, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt before I give you an honest to goodness tongue lashing for even considering this.

I mean, you are joking, right?

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:43 pm

i'm assuming he means eriador. i know i was lurking pretty heavy towards the end of his stint here, but i never thought he was that terrible. i mean he may have been a little annoying, but he was not the worst person we've ever had in the forum. even annoying people that just want to up their posts can create conversation, which is something that lately the forum has been needing more and more.

if movies or books had no antagonist they would be dull and never sell.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 pm

I know exactly who he was talking about but that is besides the point. I don't think it is within any mod's right (and he's admin for the new site, not a forum mod) to just start deleting posts (or editing them, or otherwise messing with members both past and present) for no good reason. If it is one of the very rare and few that breaks a rule, it's one thing but abuse of mod power is one of those things that pisses me off like no other.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:50 pm

that's not what i was saying. i actually agree with your point of view on that matter GD. I was actually just saying that because i wanted to say something about eriador because i was assuming that's who he was meaning. :)

P.S. i'm sorry you think i'm scary :P
Ubernaustrum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:15 am

I know it's been said, but please don't do this. Having been in positions where not abusing such power has made things work... seeing how casually some people do this (elsewhere) really pains me.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 am

I know it's been said, but please don't do this. Having been in positions where not abusing such power has made things work... seeing how casually some people do this (elsewhere) really pains me.
Am I the only one who took this as a joke? Weird.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 am

I used to, before I found out some people aren't joking when saying things like that.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 am

P.S. i'm sorry you think i'm scary :P
I'm not; it's part of your shtick. "Hey, it's brain, that guy who is scary but not scary!"

Which is even better when Steph calls you Joshy.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:46 am

I'm NOT pregnant. We're not trying right now. Let me please make that perfectly clear. I swear, I cannot go a week without someone checking in on whether I'm pregnant or making plans to be. And I mean people whose business it definitely is not.

All the same, I'm lately falling asleep imagining things I can make to decorate our baby's room someday. I have a great idea for a very long-term project above the bookcase involving all kinds of book characters, with Splat and Kitten in the center. And I'm buying an embroidery pattern I love of a baby in it's mother's arms to work on if/when I get pregnant. Whenever that elusive time shows up.

Stupid money situation. If Donny's work situation were better and I could pay off a few debts faster and we could move into a bigger place quicker, I'd be a lot happier and feel a lot closer to being ready to try.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:48 am

I know (a little) how you feel. I'm not quite there yet, but we have a small and growing collection of children's books we love. *hugs*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm

God damn, Satya's right, you guys need to chill out. It was just an idea that's been floating around in the back of my mind for at least a couple years. I'd never actually do it.

...And now I need to go wash my mouth out with battery acid for saying "Satya's right."
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Confession: I don't follow celebrity news nearly as much as I did once upon a time, so it was news to me to learn Natalie Portman is pregnant and engaged. Honestly, this disappointed me. I somehow got it in my head that she wasn't interested in that sort of traditional lifestyle and it made me feel a bit better knowing that if I can't have that, I'd have been in good company. So...now I'm back to being freakish. Exciting.

Confession: A part of me wants Her (any her, really, but since he gave me a Her to focus on, I will) to be interested. Part of me aches for the complete freedom that moment of heartache would open up, not to mention that glorious moment, months later, when I would wake up and that ache would be unexpectedly gone, filled by a sense of growth (and disinterest). That part of me thinks it'd be a blessing in disguise, a way to cut loose from someone who doesn't need or necessarily even want me around and where, some days, the frustration runs so high that the only thing holding me in place is a sense of loyalty.

There are days when that part of me asymptotically approaches 100%, others when it asymptotically approaches 0%, and the rest of the time when it falls somewhere in between those two poles. If we averaged that out, well, it'd be an unhelpful figure but if we went with the modal percentage, the picture would clear up...and the result would be I want that less than I don't want that. However, the point of this whole thing really is, even if that part of me is on the low side percentage-wise, it is still a non-zero number and maybe admitting and acknowledging as much is a good place to start.

Confession: There's a pun in there that made me giggle way too much.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Confession: I've never seen Dr. Who in any version. And thus, I've never been in the Dr. Who thread because I don't want to read spoilers in case I ever do see it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Confession: I've never seen Dr. Who in any version. And thus, I've never been in the Dr. Who thread because I don't want to read spoilers in case I ever do see it.
I do this too.

Confession 1: I get annoyed at stupid people whenever I read comments on Digg.

Confession 2: This has not stopped me from reading them.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 am

It sounds weird to me when people that I don't know well on here call me Nomi. It doesn't bother me but the only people IRL that call me that are my family members and childhood friends.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”