Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 am

After some serious staring and deductive work, I figured out why things looked off on the Y:TLM downloads I had. Now that I've figured it out, I feel like the dad from 10 Things I Hate About You; you know, hopelessly dated and behind the times, which is why I don't venture into this sort of thing on my own to begin with.

"I'm down, I've got the 411, and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy, I don't care how dope his ride is. My momma didn't raise no foo'!"
ComicRack is the way to go, if you're using some kind of comic-reading program. It works kind of like iTunes.

Except that it doesn't actually write all of the tag data to the files in any kind of way, other than storing them on your local machine. I found that out the hard way...

All of those Spider-Man issues. All of those original X-Men. All of them meticulously tagged, named, and issued. Ads supposedly deleted. All washed away when transferred to another computer.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 am

if you're using some kind of comic-reading program.
I don't have that; I downloaded them (as .cbr's and .cbz's) and then renamed them but lo and behold, most of them were .cbr's -> .rar's and I had no way to extract them at first, so I had to go get something for that. The .zip's were lovely and easy, thank goodness.

Got that done, then I couldn't figure out why they were so short -22 pages- when I was reading something 120 pages. Did I extract things wrong? Download only 1/[n] for each? I dragged myself over to Wikipedia and realized I was reading a collected edition in which #1-5 were volume one or whatever. See? Issue one, volume one, collected editions...way to overwhelm me with nuanced terms that I get mixed up, people.

Anywho, I now have issues 6-10 (book 2) to read but will need/probably want 11-60 (books 3-10) at some point.

And this is why I try to do things the non-internet way; it mocks my very existence.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:44 am

If you have cbr. files and don't have a huge collection to manage like Mich I suggest using a program called "CDisplay".

When you open the program you'll just see a gray screen. Right click to open files. For best viewing, I suggest selecting "configure", and checking the boxes for "display two pages" and "suppress for double pages". You can also magnify sections simply by moving the mouse.

It works with zips and rars too without you having to extract them at all. Unless zeros aren't used in page numbers, in which case it'll arrange them: 1, 10, 11, 12... etc rather than, 01, 02, 03, etc. I hate when people do that.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 am

A big fat "meh" to all of that; the system I have works so I'm sticking with it now that I know how to use it.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am

A big fat "meh" to all of that; the system I have works so I'm sticking with it now that I know how to use it.
No, let us continue to giver you suggestions that you don't need or want! Please!

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:33 pm

I can't be held responsible for any perceived attitude in that post; I wasn't even awake!

No, I really do appreciate it but by the time I posted, I figured things out. I could have used the help earlier, which no one could have known about because I didn't ask.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:20 pm

confession, I wanted to smack the producer who said they didn't like Bay Cities Deli sandwiches because the bread was bad. Since they make the best sandwich bread in the entire los angeles area I asked why, "The crust is crackly and crisp, bread is supposed to be soft!"

Argh! I bet if they had a new york boiled bagel they'd think it was too chewy and not any good.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:31 pm

"The crust is crackly and crisp, bread is supposed to be soft!
:evil:

Soft bread has its places, but not anywhere near my crust. Ever.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Every now and then I read "Jan" not as /d3æn/* but /jan/.

*I'm using 3 instead of ezh, because it's faster.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm really struggling to be a fully functional human being today.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 am

Confession:
Two of my close friends in long term relationships either called it quits or have admitted the end is in sight, this week.

I'm a terrible person because I hope that maybe, a third will share their own misgivings and such. I also know I'm not being fair after all the **** I've pulled. I drive past his street on the way to work & some days I'm 17 and in the passenger seat of his car.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:58 am

There. Is. No. Way. In. Hell.

Well, there may be a way. But it looks hellish.

I can do it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:06 am

It has happened. I have crossed the line. I am officially an ethical eater.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 am

Is that a fancy way of saying "vegetarian/vegan"?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am

Nope. I love meat. But now (and for at least the last year) I only eat meat that's been fed only it's natural diet, and that has been humanely raised (which generally means raised cage-free on a pasture). Ideally, the meat is also raised locally.

Chemical-free/organic, locally grown, farmer-direct, in season, whole foods, whenever possible. It's been a long time coming, but it hit home for me yesterday, when I realized I was willing to and INTENDED to cross the state line to pick my own chemical-free apples.

We're not totally nuts. We drink coffee (fair trade) and I fully intend to get my fill of citrus this winter (which definitely does not grow locally). But whenever and however we can consume foods that are produced sustainably and locally and fuel our local economy, we do, and I'll probably never order a burger in a restaurant again, which makes me quite sad.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Ooh, wow. That is a goal we can only dream of at the moment. It will be a lot easier to begin looking at that when we live in our own place again.

Not that I ever want to give up tea. But it'd be nice to do a bit more local eating.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Again, I should stress, there are a number of things we still consume that don't strictly adhere to the "local" perimeters. Our flour and sugar--though organic--certainly aren't local, although I bet I could find a mill if I looked hard enough. We're talking mostly meat, produce, and dairy. I must have a fully-stocked spice rack if I'm to be happy in the kitchen, and the majority of those aren't local by a long shot. We're not purists, and don't claim to be, but we avoid packaged foods whenever we can (I make all our breads, salsas, pasta sauces, etc. We DO still buy boxed pasta, but that's mainly because I haven't invested in a pasta roller yet).

It's drastically cheaper than we could ever have dreamed. Though, to be honest, finances weren't really a factor in our choices. We both love food and love to cook, and we are willing to spend a little more on food and a little less in other areas. Our disposable income is severely limited, but this is how we choose to spend it. To us, it is worth it and we have found a way to make it work. It's surprised me that our grocery bills have actually gone down--I thought all those organics would be tough on our wallets.

We have been trying to be more mindful of the food we put in our bodies, where it comes from, how it's raised, how our choices effect the environment and our community. We've been taking really small steps over the past two years, and are just now coming to this point of being as sustainable and mindful as we can be while living the life that makes us happiest.

I feel weirdly like I'm on a soapbox right now, and don't mean to be. So I'll step off. It's been a strange and exciting journey, and it's touched me emotionally in ways I never expected.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Because I know Steph likes the silly ones best:

*Give or take a fruit, I have had the exact same thing for lunch -while at work- every day since April. Exact same thing. I'm not tired of it yet and for those who wonder what I ate growing up (as I often do), this is how I got by not eating many different things.

*While at home, there is a fork and there is a plate that I favor above all others and if they are clean, no one else is allowed to use them. If they are dirty, I'm usually too lazy to fix it if my food is already done but I'll wash it for use if I plan ahead.

*My favorite part of eating an apple is peeling the sticker off and sticking it on the tip of my right index finger, where it becomes my "apple thimble." It makes my finger feel special. I was very sad when I lost my sticker today washing my hands.

*Every night, when I'm walking my dogs, the street on the other half of the neighborhood has this look to it I can't explain that makes me want to take the dogs home, dress up, and just dance. I don't get that urge on my half of the neighborhood.

*The moon looked like a banana a few nights ago and my first thought was "I wish I had my camera" and was followed by "I wish a Pwebber were here to see the banana moon with me." I'm scary addicted to this place.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:59 pm

*My favorite part of eating an apple is peeling the sticker off and sticking it on the tip of my right index finger, where it becomes my "apple thimble." It makes my finger feel special. I was very sad when I lost my sticker today washing my hands.
Whenever we actually get around to meeting up, I will have to offer you fruits other than apples, because for no reason I have ever discerned, fruit stickers weird. me. the. hell. out. and I would have to look the other way until you got rid of it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:40 am

Whenever we actually get around to meeting up, I will have to offer you fruits other than apples, because for no reason I have ever discerned, fruit stickers weird. me. the. hell. out. and I would have to look the other way until you got rid of it.
I had to wear a name tag sticker today. *shudders*

In other news, I cannot WAIT to be living on my own and cooking for myself again. (And when I say "my own" or "myself" I mean Brent too.) I love my mother in law, and she is a lovely person, but I crave far more variety and art in my cookery, and I dearly miss having my own pantry to stock with things I find appetising or useful. I miss cooking to my own standards and really being proud of a meal. I miss frequent curries.

I know, I know, I could cook here, but I don't want to waste money or space buying lots of ingredients when we're leaving soon anyway and I feel awkward puttering about in the kitchen when someone else is there.

I freaking want some mushroom bhaji and pilau and possibly a butter paneer-not-chicken. Perhaps on my day off this week, Brent and I will have a date-dinner and cook together.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:50 am

Did you find it on an apple? Is your real name #4351?

------------

I've been considering getting an eyebrow ring again, now that someone got our dress code loosened up at work. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that my face would probably reject this one, too. If I did get it and it wasn't rejected, I'd have it long enough for it to heal before my next expected job hunt, so I could switch out a hoop for a bar to help downplay it.

Blegh, I need to ride out this wave of impulsiveness; it probably wouldn't look good to show up in court next April/May with a piercing on my face. Sure am sorely tempted, though.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 am

No. That would have been infinitely more horrifying. I would have refused.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 am

Psssh, everyone knows the PLU 4351 is for melons, not apples. 3283 is where it's at, baby.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:45 am

I love stickers. (Even "Hi, my name is:" stickers) I used to wear a small star just below and a little to the side of the corner of my eye but stopped when it was pointed out murderers tattoo teardrops in the exact same position for each of their kills. I wonder what the star-sticker equivalent would be..."Oh no, watch out for that girl. She wished for someone!"

There is now a three song "playlist" on my MP3 player for my trip, all related to the city through movie or through mentioning of the place. I might get a fourth, which is really THE song for it anyway, but I'll be set even if I don't. Trust that it's corny and fantastic and my brother is the one who told me to do it in the first place, while encouraging me to do all sorts of touristy fun stuff that he knows shouldn't embarrass me because I won't ever see these people again. He didn't like my telling him I wanted to go to one eatery because I recently discovered Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake ate there once upon a time. And then, we sang "Top That" from Teen Witch, one of the songs from my playlist, and finished off our medley with "Yule Shoot Your Eye Out" by FOB. He is, hands down, my BEST best friend.

I have to have something done by the time I leave and I'm avoiding it like the dickens and have been for the past week, easily. I actually shaped my eyebrows, sat through G.I. Joe, etc. because that was preferable to starting up all the inner dialogue about how not perfect or good this is and how my grand visions never, ever pan out. The only saving grace will be the letter at the end explaining what I was trying to do but boy do I ever hate relying on words to explain something. So insufficient.

I don't know that any of those were actual confessions so much as things that feel like confessions for some odd reason.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 am

This kind of felt Bob-ish, but because I am disparaging a saying so freaking common in this damned state amongst people in the helping profession system, it also felt confessiony, and I don't care if people comment, so here it is:

If you've never heard this little gem before, feel grateful. If you do not work in a profession where you either hear it or dispense it as advice at least a couple of times a week, feel grateful. Here it is:

"How do you eat an elephant?"
"I don't know, how?"
"One bite at a time."

The idea being that every large task is comprised of smaller tasks, and so when faced with something that seems overwhelming, just let yourself do one thing at a time and eventually you come to the end of it.

And I am very overwhelmed right now.

And so, towards the beginning of the week, I was trying to take the little gem seriously. And now here I am, towards the week end, and what do I find?

Well, basically, I feel like the guy on Man vs. Food when he’s trying to keep going, but is getting really overwhelmed and bloated and nearing defeat. I’m trying to keep on taking bites out of the damned elephant, but I don’t really like elephant meat and there are so many more bites I have to take if I’m going to win this challenge (i.e., do enough work before I leave to keep my job). I look up, and I see that I am only through maybe an eighth of the elephant.

And I am just sick of elephant, I hate the elephant, I have no desire to continue taking one bite at a time. Not even just one more little bite. Not half of that. I am the child refusing to let the airplane go into the hangar by shutting my mouth tight and craning my neck away.

I am so ridiculously full of elephant, and just when I start to think it's manageable I get a call or an email indicating that they actually had only shipped me a portion of my edible elephant, and it turns out there are a couple of similar sized portions to be delivered, and could I sign for that please and have it all eaten by yesterday, one bite at a time?

(By the way, this is all about administrative tasks and writing, and has absolutely NOTHING to do with the interactions with clients at my job. Those are not the problem.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Yes, the "tackle as much as you can right now" thing doesn't realy work when it ALL has to be tackled ALL AT ONCE RIGHT AWAY PLEASE.

You have my total sympathies, almost-Doc.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

I confess that I am starting to think I made an mistake leaving Washington even if I only went there to prove something & also to try to get a guy to realize what he was missing. I left a full-time job, a course schedule that if it worked out & I found a way to pay for it would have been immensely helpful, a very small but very reliable group of friends, and gorgeous scenery, all of which, yes, a lot of the time I didn't love, and yes, I gained 20 pounds self-medicating on caffeinated calorific drinks & alcohol. But I had friends and a life. Now I haven't seen a friend since mid-August, have two jobs that aren't the same as before, and the one spot of love in all of this is that I have a great professor who is super supportive and going to be amazingly helpful in sorting out all of the kinks in my crazy plans.

But wouldn't I have been better off staying? Of course, so many of things in the pluses column would have prolly changed, but there is a sinking feeling I shouldn't have given up so easily.

Blah.
Your life anymore

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Tyler is sitting at almost a 4th grade reading level as a barely 5 year old kindergartner. His teacher said she's never had a student so advanced. The highest she'd had before Tyler was a 2nd grade level. This is a confession because, although I'm not posting it on FB because I don't want to seem braggy and I really don't take any credit for his natural talents, I'm really thinking "haha, suckers! Look how smart my kid is! You wish your kids was that cool!"
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Confession: I love Project Runway, and this season is AWESOME.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 pm

I am a big ball of anxieties this week. They're taking turns. I don't know what to do, and I just want to hide.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:39 pm

I still have occasional difficulties with letting my limbs hang over the edge of my bed thanks to the movie Critters, which I first saw as a 4 year old.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am

I have initiated a sticker incentive system to help with my paperwork. Goal for today is 10 stickers. Here's how it works:

Five notes = one sticker
One eval = one sticker
Two treatment plans = one sticker
One phone call = one sticker
Three emails = one sticker
One testing report = three stickers

Not sure what the reward is for meeting my goal, but I have to say, so far I have five stickers and it honestly does seem to be helping.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 am

I have a crush on a co-worker from when I was 16. We crawled around on the ground looking for Aztec history books one evening which was most of our bonding, and well, I trained him, and he was visibly upset when I left to pursue college more.

I have yet to actually speak to him; I spoke to him briefly about 2 years ago, but now I make sure I'm not in gym clothes when I go to the library....

Yeahhh....
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:27 am

I'm keeping an eye on the 10 day forecast so I know what to pack -though, being honest, none of my clothes are suitable for weather outside of my portion of the state so why bother?- and what originally said sunny for Friday turned to 30% chance of "few showers" to 60% of "showers" and Saturday is now at 30% "few showers."

I will deal with this, even if it means no sketching, fewer pictures taken, and getting wet (I don't think I melt from prolonged exposure to water).

But I may not be able to cope with a Sunday morning rain there. I know all too well how things are going to go and that would be just about the most cruel thing that could happen. I'm scared it will. I'm counting on it happening, actually. This makes me a little sad. Backhand from the universe.

Maybe it won't rain at all. That would be safest.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Confession: whenever I want to quote something on here, I don't want to use the 'quote' bbcode tags. I want to use the style of quoting in emails and in imageboards (greentexting), especially when I'm paraphrasing or summarizing what I'm responding to.

And for only one time (I swear), I'm going to do it here, because this thread is an example of when I want to do it.

>apple stickers

I really like the stickers on bananas that we get (I think they're Chiquita bananas?). They tend to say fun silly things like "Psst! I'm full of vitamins" or "I <3 lunchboxes", and "Powere by <something I forget>". I can't remember most of them, but they brighten up food shopping.

Edit: Forgot two things.

Whenever I see EL referred to as "Ali", it looks weird. I know someone who goes by Ali, but it's short for Alistair. Although I'm pretty sure I've known EL is "Ali" for longer, I just never really payed attention to it or something, until today.

I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the line almost all of Satya's posts make me think of this guy.

Oh, and also! That guy (the real one, in Sim City) actually kinda scared me as a kid when I lowered transportation funding too much. Like he was really next to be and yelling or something. It didn't prevent me from cutting the transportation funding, but I sure as hell never clicked his advice thing when doing so.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Return to “Milagre Town Square”